Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-14-2009, 08:45 PM   #1
RainMaker
General Manager

April 15th - Tea Party Day?

So I guess tomorrow is the big day for all the tea parties/bagging that will take place across the country. Is anyone here going to it? What exactly happens at it?

The whole thing has me a bit confused. Is it a Republican thing now? I know the Republicans hated Ron Paul during the primaries so I find it weird they are stealing his supporter's ideads now and trying to claim them as their own.

RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:48 PM   #2
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
It seems to be mainly a Fox News driven event. But if they hope to get more widespread support, they had better hope scenes like this one from a previous event are the exception, rather than the rule.

So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:49 PM   #3
flounder
High School Varsity

Yeah, I wonder where all these people were when Bush was busting budgets left and right.
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:54 PM   #4
Logan
Head Coach

I plan on doing some teabagging tomorrow.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:03 PM   #5
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

The Daily Show With Jon StewartM - Th 11p / 10c
IndigNation! Populist Uprising '09 - The Enragening
thedailyshow.com
Daily Show
Full Episodes
Economic CrisisPolitical Humor

As usual, the Daily Show says it best

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:06 PM   #6
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Protests have to walk a fine line. You need to get big enough to get noticed, but the bigger you get, the less coherent your message.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:23 PM   #7
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
It seems to be mainly a Fox News driven event. But if they hope to get more widespread support, they had better hope scenes like this one from a previous event are the exception, rather than the rule.

At 1:58 in the clip, is that Senator McCarthy that started talking?

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:50 PM   #8
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Yes, it's still the Commies!

SI

Old 04-14-2009, 09:51 PM   #9
lungs
Pro Rookie

Predictions:

1. Conservatives declare this a resounding success.

2. Liberals mock Conservatives.

3. Conservatives blame liberal media.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:20 PM   #10
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Where were these people when Bush was running massive deficits?

I would go but it just seems to be a bunch of conservative circle jerks.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:26 PM   #11
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

and let's not get into the latest ravings of the Michelle Malkinvanian....
Old 04-15-2009, 09:09 AM   #12
lungs
Pro Rookie

I'll bet these protesters are the same people that mocked the anti-war protesters during the last administration. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

As one conservative blogger says when he mocks liberal protesters, most of us are too busy, you know, working.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:25 AM   #13
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
I'll bet these protesters are the same people that mocked the anti-war protesters during the last administration. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

As one conservative blogger says when he mocks liberal protesters, most of us are too busy, you know, working.

And I'm sure the that people that mock this are the same people that defend similar pointless protests on the other side.

If you don't agree with it, it's dumb to do.

It's really lame to mock people who are making a political statement, and it doesn't make you any better, or forgiveable to say, "duh...they do it too"....When we don't even know if that's true across the board, or what % we're talking about. If it's one individual person you can point to, that's one thing. But to mock the whole thing - you're just as bad as any republican who does that, and you can't see that because you're so sure you're "right".

Last edited by molson : 04-15-2009 at 09:35 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:34 AM   #14
JPhillips
General Manager

I saw a sign for the Dayton teabagging that used "Taxation Without Representation" at the top. When did Ohio lose its two Senators and eighteen representatives?

Fuckin' Obama.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:42 AM   #15
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I saw a sign for the Dayton teabagging that used "Taxation Without Representation" at the top. When did Ohio lose its two Senators and eighteen representatives?

Fuckin' Obama.

So, lordscarlet was lying. He was in Dayton, not Nats Opening Day on Monday

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-15-2009 at 09:42 AM.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:51 AM   #16
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
And I'm sure the that people that mock this are the same people that defend similar pointless protests on the other side.

That was my point.

Quote:
It's really lame to mock people who are making a political statement, and it doesn't make you any better, or forgiveable to say, "duh...they do it too"....When we don't even know if that's true across the board, or what % we're talking about. If it's one individual person you can point to, that's one thing. But to mock the whole thing - you're just as bad as any republican who does that, and you can't see that because you're so sure you're "right".

I'm not sure if you're trying to accuse me of having a double standard here because I happen to disagree with intent of the tea parties but that's not the case. The observation I am making, is actually something we are agreeing on.

Somewhere, at one of these tea parties, somebody is going to say something very stupid. The other side will pounce on that and portray it as a broad brush of the conservative movement. We're recycling the same bullshit that happened with the war protests.

Nothing earth shattering here. I'm not mocking one side. I'm mocking both sides, because their positions were reversed a few short years ago. I may agree with one side on policy, but the mechanisms both sides use are laughable because I'd guess that a majority of people in this country don't give a shit. Sometimes I wish I didn't give a shit.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:30 AM   #17
chinaski
College Prospect

This rightfully deserves to be mocked, imo. Its never been a grassroots movement, its the astroturf of protests. This is funded by corporate pacs and propagated by Fox News. Never did war protests have corporate backing and media sponsorship. Never did you see CNN trumpet 24/7 to rally the people to come out to a war protest. War protests grew organically, these teabagger protests were formed via a top down process.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:35 AM   #18
JPhillips
General Manager

I think a better example were the immigration rallies from a couple of years ago. Some of those were huge and they relied on word of mouth and Spanish language radio.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:38 AM   #19
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Tea Party? We're American make it a beer party or a coffee party sponsored by Starbucks and catered by Dunkin Donuts.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:49 AM   #20
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
Tea Party? We're American make it a beer party or a coffee party sponsored by Starbucks and catered by Dunkin Donuts.

Or the Beer and Hot Chicks Scantily Clad party.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:49 AM   #21
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

One of these is going on about a half-block from my building, and I can see/hear it from up here. Looks like maybe 100-150 people.

And while I support the notion, I also can't help but laugh at this (at least, the first minute or so before it gets serious):

&nbsp
&nbsp
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-15-2009 at 11:51 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:02 PM   #22
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

This people are fucking nutcases. Burn the books? Don't send your kids to college? These people need serious help.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:12 PM   #23
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
And while I support the notion, I also can't help but laugh at this (at least, the first minute or so before it gets serious)

Actually, the last part where he makes a Dick Armey joke is pretty good, too

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-15-2009 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:03 PM   #24
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:

or patriotic. I mean, you know, to dissent or voice any contradictory opinion to the Government is unpatriotic. Remember.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 01:05 PM   #25
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Both sides act the same in and out of power. And message board arguments are the same no matter who is in power, just with the sides switched.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:17 PM   #26
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

I don't have a problem with the protests and I don't necessarily think they're dumb. I do think this one is a little humorous though. I mean the people protesting didn't care about any of this when Bush was doing the same exact shit Obama is doing (bailouts and big spending).

The rally by me though seems to be going well.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:25 PM   #27
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
or patriotic. I mean, you know, to dissent or voice any contradictory opinion to the Government is unpatriotic. Remember.

Who said that?

Oh right, "some of these same people". That's such a dumb logic no matter what sides it comes from.

So anybody who say, voted for Obama, is invalidated/hypocritical/whatever because of any fringe nutjobs that might have also voted for Obama?

Last edited by molson : 04-15-2009 at 01:26 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:27 PM   #28
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I don't have a problem with the protests and I don't necessarily think they're dumb. I do think this one is a little humorous though. I mean the people protesting didn't care about any of this when Bush was doing the same exact shit Obama is doing (bailouts and big spending).

The rally by me though seems to be going well.

That picture reminds me of the political threads here. (not everyone of course).

Generally, sheep = people that disagree with you.

Is it possible for a Democrat to recognize Democrat sheep? Or a Republican to recognize Republican sheep? It never happens.

Last edited by molson : 04-15-2009 at 01:35 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:33 PM   #29
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Both sides act the same in and out of power. And message board arguments are the same no matter who is in power, just with the sides switched.

For the people who are loyal to their teams, sure. There are a few people who don't self-identify with one of the two factions and are capable of independent thought.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 01:37 PM   #30
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter of Foo View Post
For the people who are loyal to their teams, sure. There are a few people who don't self-identify with one of the two factions and are capable of independent thought.

The "team" aspect of politics sucks so much, the collective feeling of superiority over other groups. It really destroys any chance of progress.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:41 PM   #31
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter of Foo View Post

Based on my experience there's a lot more of the former than the latter.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:52 PM   #32
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
That picture reminds me of the political threads here. (not everyone of course).

Generally, sheep = people that disagree with you.

Is it possible for a Democrat to recognize Democrat sheep? Or a Republican to recognize Republican sheep? It never happens.

I think sheep are people just go along with something because they are told to. Happens on both sides. When Daily Kos has a post on it and everyone on that side goes bezerk for it. Or when Glenn Beck tells people to protest the government for some reason (I really don't even know what this is about).

The country lacks independent thought. People just turn on Olbermann or O'Reilly and let them tell them what to think. Both sides care more about a D or R next to the name than the actual substance. Obama could recite a Reagan speech word for word and there would be people on the right bashing it.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:51 PM   #33
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

BURN THE BOOKS

which ones?

The evolution ones!
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:30 PM   #34
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
BURN THE BOOKS

which ones?

The evolution ones!

That and the "Pinko Commies are using digital tv to brain wash you guy" are fucking hilarious.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:39 PM   #35
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
That and the "Pinko Commies are using digital tv to brain wash you guy" are fucking hilarious.

Hey!

That guy works in marketing so he knows what he's talking about
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:44 PM   #36
Subby
lolzcat

This just in: white people be crazy!
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:56 PM   #37
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Wow.

Granted, I did see a lot of "Bush is a fascist" signs at rallys over the past 8 years, but whenever I saw a person asked why they thought that, they would give some sort of reason, even though it never fit the definition of fascism. Not continually say "It is because that's what he is".

Last edited by cartman : 04-15-2009 at 04:03 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:01 PM   #38
Galaril
Pro Starter

I guess at a rally in TX the governor said that tax should think of seceding form the US. Wow, just incredible.

Governor Says Texans May Want to Secede From Union But Probably Won't - Presidential Politics | Political News - FOXNews.com

Last edited by Galaril : 04-15-2009 at 04:02 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:14 PM   #39
JPhillips
General Manager

What a dumbass. Everybody knows the real secessionists call themselves Texians.

http://www.texasrepublic.info/
Old 04-15-2009, 04:15 PM   #40
Subby
lolzcat

Texas seceding would solve so many problems for the US. Starting with the Dallas Cowboys.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 04:18 PM   #41
molson
General Manager

Quote:
I guess at a rally in TX the governor said that tax should think of seceding form the US. Wow, just incredible.

Governor Says Texans May Want to Secede From Union But Probably Won't - Presidential Politics | Political News - FOXNews.com

The article actually says the opposite, but whatever, why let the facts get in the way of a rant.

"During his speech to hundreds in a U.S. flag-waving crowd, there were several shouts of "Secede!"

Later, answering news reporters' questions, Perry suggested Texans might at some point get so fed up they would want to secede from the union. However, Perry says he sees no reason why Texas should make such a move."

Last edited by molson : 04-15-2009 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:23 PM   #42
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
The article actually says the opposite, but whatever.

"During his speech to hundreds in a U.S. flag-waving crowd, there were several shouts of "Secede!"

Later, answering news reporters' questions, Perry suggested Texans might at some point get so fed up they would want to secede from the union. However, Perry says he sees no reason why Texas should make such a move."

That article did not include a quote that Perry made during the same Q&A session where he didn't completely disavow the thought:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....d8880855.html

Quote:
"There's absolutely no reason to dissolve it. But if Washington continues to thumb their nose at the American people, you know, who knows what might come out of that."
Old 04-15-2009, 04:23 PM   #43
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Headline by the crack team at Fox News.com

SI

Old 04-15-2009, 04:24 PM   #44
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

If Texas were to secede that would make two countries capable of playing football. We could start lobbying the IOC to have it be part of the Olympics, possibly by 2016. That'd be kind of cool imo, and a far better to watch than dancing with ribbons.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 04:27 PM   #45
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

Talk about push polling:

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasrepublic.info FAQ

You have only 3 1/2 years left to freely choose whether you wish to be part of the republic of Texas Nation with freedom to retain all of your rights;
-or-
REMAIN a corporate slave to your NEW MASTER NATION

Erm... I'll take "remain a corporate slave" for the win, Alex
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 04:28 PM   #46
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
The article actually says the opposite, but whatever, why let the facts get in the way of a rant.

Ah......rant... yeah sure . The sentence above and as Cratman linked too he never disavowed the thought and made aveiled threat at the least.But sure whatever you like see counselor.

Last edited by Galaril : 04-15-2009 at 04:30 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:31 PM   #47
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Ah......rant yeah sure whatever. The sentence above but sure whatever you like counselor.

Even the sentence above (that you didn't link, and thus probably didn't know about it when you made your post), doesn't state that:

"the governor said that texas should think of seceding form the US"

That's a big difference. You lied, and I called you on it.

(Only using "lie" because you can't acknowledge an oversight, you're actually sticking with what you said. It's just annoying).

If I made a similar false claim about an Obama position, you'd react similarly.

Last edited by molson : 04-15-2009 at 04:36 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:58 PM   #48
path12
Coordinator

I haven't paid a ton of attention to this other than snickering about the whole 'teabagging' thing but there is one thing I truly don't understand -- if 95% of folks have their taxes unchanged or lowered under Obama's plan, what is the reason for taking it to the streets?
Old 04-15-2009, 05:14 PM   #49
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

As the elected Senator of the FOFC, I declare my exhaustion after a day of teabagging. It puts the lotion on its skin.....
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 05:22 PM   #50
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
I haven't paid a ton of attention to this other than snickering about the whole 'teabagging' thing but there is one thing I truly don't understand -- if 95% of folks have their taxes unchanged or lowered under Obama's plan, what is the reason for taking it to the streets?

Because Obama has not been able to put his attempts to raise the taxes of the over 200K crowd through Congress yet (the closing of loopholes), these folks see no way that Obama can pay for the spending without a huge tax raise.