Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-12-2009, 10:02 AM   #51
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Well, I found the dead body but it didn't make for a good picture. Hard to see the details since it's all shriveled up. However, I did spot the exact same spider near my AC unit!! I'll leave that one alone, but now I'm worried that maybe it was a guy and girl spider and they already have babies somewhere.

They do...inside your head!

MacroGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:07 AM   #52
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
They do...inside your head!

MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:23 AM   #53
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well, I found the dead body but it didn't make for a good picture. Hard to see the details since it's all shriveled up. However, I did spot the exact same spider near my AC unit!! I'll leave that one alone, but now I'm worried that maybe it was a guy and girl spider and they already have babies somewhere.

take a picture! we want to see it!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:14 AM   #54
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

what a bunch of little girls! oohh wait thats an insult to little girls, my little sis used to kill all sorts of bugs when she was small
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:22 AM   #55
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
take a picture! we want to see it!

I'll try next time it's bright and I see it in its actual web. It was hiding in a corner last night.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:22 AM   #56
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
what a bunch of little girls! oohh wait thats an insult to little girls, my little sis used to kill all sorts of bugs when she was small

Oh go soak in some more bullets!
Old 08-12-2009, 01:26 PM   #57
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:

Uh oh. Just make sure to sleep with your mouth closed so something doesn't crawl in.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:53 PM   #58
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorena View Post
Uh oh. Just make sure to sleep with your mouth closed so something doesn't crawl in.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:08 PM   #59
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:

lmao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:19 AM   #60
MacroGuru
Coordinator

So I am wuss when it comes to spiders in the home...But this one is sitting outside in a bush, right underneath our light out back...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OrbWeaver.jpg (130.7 KB, 295 views)
Old 08-24-2009, 10:39 AM   #61
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

is that giant yellow+black thing the sac on it's back? if so i'd say orb-weaver for sure (based on what little i know)
Old 08-24-2009, 10:45 AM   #62
MikeVic
Head Coach

That's bright.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:50 AM   #63
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
is that giant yellow+black thing the sac on it's back? if so i'd say orb-weaver for sure (based on what little i know)

It is an Orb Weaver and thats her abdomen...she hasn't dropped an egg sack yet....her web is gigantic...the white stuff is part of her web in the center she is reinforcing.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:59 AM   #64
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
It is an Orb Weaver and thats her abdomen...she hasn't dropped an egg sack yet....her web is gigantic...the white stuff is part of her web in the center she is reinforcing.

abdomen is what i meant by sac...cool
Old 08-24-2009, 11:00 AM   #65
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

beautiful - you must have a significant decrease in mosquitos!
Old 08-24-2009, 02:05 PM   #66
RainMaker
General Manager

When I had one in my yard I would sit and watch him work. Cool to see a flea fly into the web and him run up and eat him real quick, then go back to the middle. If you get a chance, watch them build the web up after a rain. It's amazing.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 02:13 PM   #67
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Used to have one that would make a web to the side of our front door, relatively near our outside light. It really cut down the bugs so I didn't mind it. Then one day I open the door and luckily I wasn't hurrying outside as it made the web right across the walkway.

That is when I realized its devious plan. It was lulling me into a comfort zone and waiting for a chance to make an attempt on me. I was Stallin to its Hitler. Our alliance was over and I had to destroy it.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 02:40 PM   #68
gkb
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Used to have one that would make a web to the side of our front door, relatively near our outside light. It really cut down the bugs so I didn't mind it. Then one day I open the door and luckily I wasn't hurrying outside as it made the web right across the walkway.

That is when I realized its devious plan. It was lulling me into a comfort zone and waiting for a chance to make an attempt on me. I was Stallin to its Hitler. Our alliance was over and I had to destroy it.

I've never admired you more than I do right now.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:12 PM   #69
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Last night as I was closing up my garage a little bit after sunset, I was standing outside looking up at the sky and noticed a couple of bats flying around above me. Not unusual as I think they've got a spot somewhere in the trees behind my house that they live. It was then that I noticed a somewhat stationary dot probably about 25 feet up in between the dark shadows of a pair of trees next to the house. Sure enough, it was a spider, apparently setting up shop as it seemed to be moving back and forth rather nimbly. Couldn't tell what it was in the darkness, but it was a pretty big one considering I could see it rather easily from ground level and basically was trying to stitch a web between the upper branches of two trees several feet apart. I did manage to catch a little better view from my daughter's bedroom window on the second floor, which was still a little bit below the spider's position, but it had some long legs and a thick abdomen.

Just thought I'd share.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:26 PM   #70
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
Last night as I was closing up my garage a little bit after sunset, I was standing outside looking up at the sky and noticed a couple of bats flying around above me. Not unusual as I think they've got a spot somewhere in the trees behind my house that they live. It was then that I noticed a somewhat stationary dot probably about 25 feet up in between the dark shadows of a pair of trees next to the house. Sure enough, it was a spider, apparently setting up shop as it seemed to be moving back and forth rather nimbly. Couldn't tell what it was in the darkness, but it was a pretty big one considering I could see it rather easily from ground level and basically was trying to stitch a web between the upper branches of two trees several feet apart. I did manage to catch a little better view from my daughter's bedroom window on the second floor, which was still a little bit below the spider's position, but it had some long legs and a thick abdomen.

Just thought I'd share.

Better make sure that your daughter doesn't wander into the web!
Old 08-24-2009, 08:47 PM   #71
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

i need spiders here.... stupid mosquitoes!

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:38 PM   #72
Lorena
Unregistered

goddamit, why'd i come in here?
Old 08-24-2009, 11:30 PM   #73
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
goddamit, why'd i come in here?

You're either an attention whore or a glutton for punishment?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:20 PM   #74
RainMaker
General Manager

Walking around downstairs in the dark and here a squish like I stepped in a small wetspot on the floor. Turn on the lights and it's a big ole spider crushed. Good thing I was wearing sandals around the house. That spider was pretty damn big.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:39 PM   #75
Malificent
High School JV

The yellow and black from a few weeks ago is the Black-and-Yellow Argiope - very common in North America and also known as the writing spider because of the pattern in the middle that stabilizes the web. They've been known to capture and eat monarch butterflies, dragonflies, and cicadas, but mostly eat smaller flying insects. A couple of pictures of the one in my garden.

Day 248/365:Black-and-Yellow Argiope

Black-and-Yellow Argiope - Closeup

A female wolf spider settled in right next to my front door, complete with eggsac. That was mildly startling. No web for her, since Wolf Spiders are hunters rather than web weavers. A picture of her, closeup, with the eggsac.

Wolf Spider and her eggsac
Old 09-12-2009, 11:09 PM   #76
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Prepare to be freaked out...(yes, it's real)

Photobucket
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:09 PM   #77
Drake
assmaster

I am not even going to ask how close you had to get to those spiders to get those pictures, Mali. Great shots, though.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:11 PM   #78
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post
Prepare to be freaked out...(yes, it's real)

Photobucket

A spider EATING A BIRD! Are you fucking kidding me?! Now I've got the heebie-jeebies and I can't get rid of them.

Damn you, Qwikshot. Damn you.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:12 PM   #79
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Just in case that wasn't enough

Photobucket

I didn't take these shots, this is a spider that lives in Australia.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams

Last edited by Qwikshot : 09-12-2009 at 11:14 PM.
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 01:14 AM   #80
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
You're either an attention whore or a glutton for punishment?

A glutton for punishment, here I am again!

Malificent those pictures are amazing.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:21 AM   #81
Schmidty
Coordinator

One more time -SPIDERS ARE AWESOME!!!!
Old 09-13-2009, 01:23 AM   #82
MikeVic
Head Coach

Fuck this thread! I'm never coming back in here again!!
Old 09-13-2009, 09:56 AM   #83
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Fuck this thread! I'm never coming back in here again!!

flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:37 AM   #84
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

This thread is awesome! Y'all are wimps! Since I moved to my house, which is on a lake, two years ago I kill a spider a day. I have killed numerous wolf spiders, fortunately all of them outside. Its awesome to see the babies scatter and die.
LoneStarGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:38 AM   #85
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

Oh and Australia has the world's deadliest snakes and biggest spiders, its a country I NEVER want to visit.
LoneStarGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 06:03 PM   #86
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarGirl View Post
This thread is awesome! Y'all are wimps! Since I moved to my house, which is on a lake, two years ago I kill a spider a day. I have killed numerous wolf spiders, fortunately all of them outside. Its awesome to see the babies scatter and die.

what kind of an evil person kills a mother right in front of her babies?
Old 09-18-2009, 10:51 PM   #87
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Oh and Australia has the world's deadliest snakes and biggest spiders, its a country I NEVER want to visit.

Yes, they even have their own healthbars!!

Last edited by Lorena : 09-18-2009 at 10:53 PM.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:52 AM   #88
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

I am such a whimp.

So, I'm getting ready to take my dog out for a walk. I go to the front door, and there is a tiny little spider who has built a nest right across the doorway. I freak the fuck out and slam the door. I go to the back door. I do my trademark "swipe my hand in front of me so I don't stick my face into one" move and make it out safely.

I come back, and there is a fucking spider walking across my back door. I back a few steps and look like a little bitch as this tiny spider crawls away. I open the door and run in.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:14 AM   #89
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

^^ LOL^^

i bet your dog is embarassed to be seen with you
Old 09-25-2009, 10:49 PM   #90
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Last weekend my wife was getting ready to go to meet some friends at a restaurant. As she went through the door into the garage, I hear her starting to freak out. I come to her and she's got a rather terrified look and tells me there's a black widow outside the door in the garage. I go out and sure enough, there she is, pretty much at eye level off to one side of the door, red hourglass mark and everything. First time I'd ever seen one of those around the house. I've been told by my wife and daughter it wasn't the first one they've found, either....
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 03:00 AM   #91
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I'm now pretty well convinced that Big Ass bird eating spider is right on the underside of my desktop.

I'm petrified. I may not be able to return to this thread. I definitely can't scroll up. I'm really only marginally freaked by spiders...but DAMN!
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:12 PM   #92
MikeVic
Head Coach

Ok, so if anyone remembers this thread from last year... here's an update.

I went outside to remove the cover off my AC and noticed a tiny spider hanging around. I took the cover off and it ruined the spider's web a bit. I looked closer, and it looks like a tiny version of those orb weavers from last year.

I ended up finding two orb weavers (one that I freaked out on and killed, the other I left alone). Do you think this could be a baby of the orb weavers? Or would the winter cold have killed any eggs or whatever...
Old 05-17-2010, 09:35 PM   #93
Drake
assmaster

The fact that you just bumped this thread has made me your mortal enemy for life.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:57 PM   #94
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Ok, so if anyone remembers this thread from last year... here's an update.

I went outside to remove the cover off my AC and noticed a tiny spider hanging around. I took the cover off and it ruined the spider's web a bit. I looked closer, and it looks like a tiny version of those orb weavers from last year.

I ended up finding two orb weavers (one that I freaked out on and killed, the other I left alone). Do you think this could be a baby of the orb weavers? Or would the winter cold have killed any eggs or whatever...

It says on wikipedia that orb weavers pass memories on to their offspring. Hopefully, the survivor from last year didn't see you kill its mate.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:19 PM   #95
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
It says on wikipedia that orb weavers pass memories on to their offspring. Hopefully, the survivor from last year didn't see you kill its mate.

Oh oh! It'll avenge its father's death!!
Old 05-17-2010, 10:33 PM   #96
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Old 05-17-2010, 10:57 PM   #97
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
I get this one in my house. I dunno what it is, but it doesn't build webs, kinda sneaks around, it jumps. I get bit at night by them so they're not poisonous. The last one was a couple weeks ago, I'd say about 2 inches with it's legs.

Wolf spiders. They are harmless and kinda fun. They do jump, but as you say their bite is harmless. If you have them in your house, a freaky thing to do is take a flashlight into your back yard at night and hold it at eye level. All the little twinkles you see reflecting back in the grass are usually these guys. My brother-in-law showed me this once. We went and hunted down the spots and yep, it was the spiders. The bigger the reflection, the bigger the wolf spider.

Wiki: Wolf spider - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 05-17-2010, 10:58 PM   #98
Tasan
College Starter

Well damn. Didn't look at the date.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:57 AM   #99
kiwiLB57
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:

It's also full of Australians. Reason Numero Uno never to visit.

This thread is terrifying. Seriously delete this sh.t. My girlfriend is in charge of killing all insect life on our property, I just can't deal with spiders at all.

kiwiLB57

"the run it at da white boy philosophy will not xsist wif out.... da white boys"

Amen
kiwiLB57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:43 AM   #100
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I had a daddy longlegs on my window this morning as i was pulling out intro traffic...couldn't tell if it was outside or inside. i thought of the OP in this thread and freaked out even more.

i think it was outside though.