Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-17-2009, 01:39 PM   #1
miked
College Starter

DC traffic question

I have to do a thing in Frederick MD in October and it lets out around 5:45 or so. The lastest flight I can get out of IAD, DCA, BWI to ATL is 9pm out of DCA. How bad is traffic going in to DC around that time? Mapquest says it's about 55 miles to DCA from Frederick, but obviously I'd have around 2 hours to make that trip (max). Is this do-able? Thanks.

miked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:41 PM   #2
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Can't help you with the drive, but from what I understand- good luck getting a parking space at DCA. You will be going against traffic, so that's helpful. But I dunno- sounds like a tall order.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:47 PM   #3
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
I have to do a thing in Frederick MD in October and it lets out around 5:45 or so. The lastest flight I can get out of IAD, DCA, BWI to ATL is 9pm out of DCA. How bad is traffic going in to DC around that time? Mapquest says it's about 55 miles to DCA from Frederick, but obviously I'd have around 2 hours to make that trip (max). Is this do-able? Thanks.

The last time I had to drive from MD to DCA when I was in town for business, I had to go from Gaithersburg to DCA at around 5pm. It took me roughly 2 1/2 hours to make the drive as the traffic on the highway was pretty much like I-285 during rush hour in Atlanta. I missed my flight time by close to 45 minutes. The funny thing was my plane had mechanical issues and a 3 hour delay. Everyone on my flight was pissed off.. except for me.

Anyways, i don't travel to D.C. much so don't know if my experience was normal or abnormal.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:47 PM   #4
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
You'll be fine.

Just take I-270 to I-495 S to GW Parkway to Reagan. Unless you have cataclysmic traffic you should be able to get there in under 2 hours.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:50 PM   #5
Subby
lolzcat

Alternately, you could try taking 15 S from Frederick to the Greenway (a toll road) in Virginia. The Greenway will take you straight to Dulles. I haven't done that before, but I can't imagine it would be all that bad - particularly since you'll be avoiding 270 and the beltway.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Last edited by Subby : 09-17-2009 at 01:52 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:51 PM   #6
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Can't help you with the drive, but from what I understand- good luck getting a parking space at DCA. You will be going against traffic, so that's helpful. But I dunno- sounds like a tall order.

SI

I'll be flying from ATL, renting a car, and driving to Frederick.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:18 PM   #7
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
Alternately, you could try taking 15 S from Frederick to the Greenway (a toll road) in Virginia. The Greenway will take you straight to Dulles. I haven't done that before, but I can't imagine it would be all that bad - particularly since you'll be avoiding 270 and the beltway.

He's going to DCA, not IAD. If he were flying into Dulles, I'd agree 100% I'd say it's a no-brainer to use 15 to get between Fredneck and Dulles.

From BWI, it's about 1 hour-ish without traffic (maybe a smidge more) to Fredneck.

At 9 p.m. once you're out of the city traffic shouldn't be bad unless they're doing construction. It still will be a long drive, but traffic at that time should be OK.

Man, for Frederick, I'd almost recommend Dulles Airport. Takes me 45 minutes to get to Frederick from my house just north of there if I use the Greenway. About an hour if I use 7.

/tk

Last edited by terpkristin : 09-17-2009 at 02:22 PM. Reason: toned it down, wasn't trying to attack SUBBY!
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 02:26 PM   #8
miked
College Starter

Yeah, I'm split...I can fly Delta to DCA and leave any time I want on Wednesday, and try to get out Thursday at 9pm. IAD and BWI to ATL have last flights at 6pm

I can also try United, they fly out of IAD at 10pm, but I'd have to get there at like 3pm the prior day because there are only 3-4 flights.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:26 PM   #9
miked
College Starter

Yeah, I'm split...I can fly Delta to DCA and leave any time I want on Wednesday, and try to get out Thursday at 9pm. IAD and BWI to ATL have last flights at 6pm

I can also try United, they fly out of IAD at 10pm, but I'd have to get there at like 3pm the prior day because there are only 3-4 flights.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:02 PM   #10
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
He's going to DCA, not IAD. If he were flying into Dulles, I'd agree 100% I'd say it's a no-brainer to use 15 to get between Fredneck and Dulles.
He mentioned flying out of Dulles as an option in his original post.

But hey - thanks for correcting me.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:05 PM   #11
Subby
lolzcat

Anyway like I said in my original post - you are fine getting to DCA if you leave Frederick on time.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:22 PM   #12
Bisbo
H.S. Freshman Team

I assume you're talking about a weekday. If its a Saturday or Sunday, absolutely no problem. If its a weekday, Subby is right about 80% of the time, but you could also hit really, really bad traffic if there's an accident, or if its raining. Also, some of the car rental places are off-airport at DCA, although I think all the major ones let you return the car there. You're probably OK, but I wouldn't say any extended goodbyes after your meeting.

Last edited by Bisbo : 09-17-2009 at 03:23 PM.
Bisbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:05 PM   #13
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

I'm placing odds at 3-1 *against* making the 9PM flight.

You're going to have to be pulling into DCA at 7:30 at the latest in order to turn in your rental, go through security on a Friday night in DC with the million other travelers, congressmen, and tourists leaving the city, and make it to the gate in time to check in before they close the doors 20 minutes before the flight leaves.

Unless you leave at 5PM, I say NO chance you make it.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:17 PM   #14
QuikSand
lolzcat

This is a snap through BWI.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:17 PM   #15
miked
College Starter

Hmmm...this could make me some money (or lose me some badly). It's a Thursday evening, and I'm still torn. I may end up doing the United flight in and out of IAD and just suck up being there a little early.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:36 PM   #16
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post

That was my thought as well.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:56 PM   #17
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post

It's a snap through IAD and BWI. The trick with DCA is the city factor which is impossible at best to plan for. For IAD or BWI, it's straight-forward and against the normal flow of traffic for that time of evening. Having done the BWI-Frederick drive once or twice and the Dulles area-Frederick drive many times, I think BWI-Frederick is a little longer than IAD-Frederick, but either would work, probably better than DCA, and both are straight-shots/direct.

/tk
Old 09-17-2009, 07:05 PM   #18
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:

It's not - this is the route we prefer to take when going there.

BWI isn't bad either - 70 to the Baltimore beltway, then you're on that for a few miles until you hit 95, which you're on not even a mile before going to 195. Either airport is fine.

We've never flown out of Reagan National.

(we've gone through Hagerstown though to Orlando Sanford, which is really pretty nice...terminal about the size of the one on Wings)
Old 09-17-2009, 07:24 PM   #19
Subby
lolzcat

Well you never have to actually go through DC to get to DCA and you are going against rush hour traffic for a good portion of the trip (your biggest issue is going to be when you are on the outer loop of the beltway, and I think that would be about 10 miles.)

If DCA has the most flexible flight options, then it is probably worth it.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:29 PM   #20
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

wow

GIT R DUN!!!

Last edited by claphamsa : 09-17-2009 at 08:31 PM.
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:29 PM   #21
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

oppps

GIT R DUN!!!

Last edited by claphamsa : 09-17-2009 at 08:31 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:30 PM   #22
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

well shit!

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 09-17-2009, 10:21 PM   #23
Bisbo
H.S. Freshman Team

If it were me, I'd book the 10 pm out of IAD. If you get there early (and you will) - BEER.
Bisbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:50 PM   #24
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Well you never have to actually go through DC to get to DCA and you are going against rush hour traffic for a good portion of the trip (your biggest issue is going to be when you are on the outer loop of the beltway, and I think that would be about 10 miles.)

If DCA has the most flexible flight options, then it is probably worth it.

Is it even that much? Going down to the Portals I think we take 15/270/495/GW Parkway - doesn't seem like we're on the beltway very long at all.

Main part I would worry about is 270. Even in off-hours it can be a crapshoot (traveled it yesterday actually, at about 5:30; was fine. Have had times on the way *back* where we've been slowed to a crawl at like 10PM).
Old 09-18-2009, 07:52 AM   #25
Logan
Head Coach

This thread makes me very thankful for the Acela train.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:46 AM   #26
chesapeake
College Starter

Even with difficult traffic, 2 hours should be plenty of time. Just be sure that you do all the things you can so you're not wandering around aimlessly once you get to the Airport.

On the plus side, getting through security should be easier than normal. TSA puts their A team on the line at National on the Thursday and Friday evening shifts to ensure that their budget doesn't get cut.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:26 AM   #27
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeake View Post
TSA puts their A team on the line at National on the Thursday and Friday evening shifts to ensure that their budget doesn't get cut.

I have to disagree here. There's no way they're getting BA in an airport.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:34 AM   #28
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Not without drugging his milk and putting him on a plane first

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:58 AM   #29
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
I have to disagree here. There's no way they're getting BA in an airport.

Good point. And even if they did, he'd set off every metal detector in a half-mile radius.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:03 PM   #30
miked
College Starter

Gonna bump this. I have to travel to Bethesda next month and my meeting ends around 4pm. It seems like IAD and DCA are both about 20 miles away, is there one that will be better that time of day? I'd like to hit a 7pm flight or so, if I'm in a cab/car by 4:30, it shouldn't be a problem? I couldn't imagine it would take 2 hours to go 20 miles, but one never knows. Thanks!
Old 05-17-2010, 02:14 PM   #31
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Don't know about Metro accessibility from Bethesda, but if you can get to Metro, DCA might be alright.

IAD should be fine once you get around the beltway, but it's always a crapshoot. Could easily take an hour to get to the Dulles Access Road, at which point it'd take another 20ish (depending on how fast the cab drives) to get to the airport.

/tk
Old 05-17-2010, 02:16 PM   #32
JPhillips
General Manager

Your quickest bet is probably Metro to DCA.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:26 PM   #33
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Your quickest bet is probably Metro to DCA.

It is also your most reliable. The Metro website (wmata.com) says that you can catch the 4:37 out of Bethesda and be at DCA in about 40 minutes, switching to the Blue line in Metro Center.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:33 PM   #34
miked
College Starter

Awesomeness. Looks like it's about 2-2.5 miles from the hotel, but considering it costs $3.50 or something as opposed to $40+tip, I'll take it. Thanks!