Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-17-2010, 01:55 AM   #1
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

DVR: source content copy protected:Recording Paused?

Tonight on an episode of csi ny, rerunning at 11:30 pm after the local news.

I didn't even know this was possible for broadcast content. Is this my ancient dvr acting up, or are networks starting to protect their broadcast from recording?

Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:06 AM   #2
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
Tonight on an episode of csi ny, rerunning at 11:30 pm after the local news.

I didn't even know this was possible for broadcast content. Is this my ancient dvr acting up, or are networks starting to protect their broadcast from recording?

Networks can flip a content 'flag' that can disallow a program to be recorded on "store bought" dvr's. It may affect pausing as well. As far as I knew, though, not many stations other than some cable and premium cable really used it much at all.

The threat of this is one reason I built my own pc dvr which uses GBPVR. It just ignores the flag.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:08 AM   #3
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Interesting. Other channels are affected as well. Now I'm wondering if this is a direct tv change.

Resetting the dvr just in case. Satellite box is next.

It allows commercials, but blocks the programming from recording.

I've got a set top direct tv box, and a Toshiba dvr. I'm just trying to record live content.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:09 AM   #4
NewIdentity
High School JV

I've seen things happen like this when it is a movie you recorded during a free preview weekend of HBO.

After the free preview weekend they no longer allow you to watch recorded movies from channels you no longer can view. So, does this aply at all to you? Did you change your package in any way?

EDIT: I didn't see your comment about this being a completely seperate DVR and not an all in one DVR/Tuner unit.
I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
Michael Jordan

Last edited by NewIdentity : 05-17-2010 at 07:35 AM.
NewIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:18 AM   #5
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Interesting. I can record on USA network, but not the csi:ny rerun on my local station. I'm damn glad this didn't affect my survivor recording earlier.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:21 AM   #6
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewIdentity View Post
I've seen things happen like this when it is a movie you recorded during a free preview weekend of HBO.

After the free preview weekend they no longer allow you to watch recorded movies from channels you no longer can view. So, does this aply at all to you? Did you change your package in any way?

Nope no changes. A csi rerun seems an odd thing to block in any case. Perhaps it is part of the rebroadcast agreement required by the network.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:27 AM   #7
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
Interesting. Other channels are affected as well. Now I'm wondering if this is a direct tv change.

Correction: Other channels were only affected shortly after changing channels. After a minute or two, the recoding worked normally, until I switched back my local station.