Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-26-2019, 10:39 AM   #5451
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
Trying to convince myself that Ymir is worth $35. Part pig-based city builder, part pig-based Civ. Looks good, but $35-good?

I'm sure one of the multitude of streaming services will have a sale and/or coupon you can use for it soon, have patience
Old 03-26-2019, 04:20 PM   #5452
Thomkal
Head Coach

I stumbled on to gameplay of a new open world survival RPG called Outward today. It looks intriguing. You are just an average joe ready to become an adventurer. A thinking man kind of RPG where you have to learn the tools of the trade and how best to survive everything thrown at you. Here's a brief look at how the devs describe it:

OUTWARD - New Gameplay Walkthrough (Open World RPG Game 2019) - YouTube
Old 03-27-2019, 08:41 AM   #5453
Ramzavail
College Starter

does look really good.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 08:50 AM   #5454
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
Trying to convince myself that Ymir is worth $35. Part pig-based city builder, part pig-based Civ. Looks good, but $35-good?

I'd never heard of it until you mentioned it here. Now I'm intrigued. Multiplayer Caesar IV with pigmen? I certainly see the temptation. Early access is always a turn-off for me. I'm hoping you'll take the plunge and let us know how it is.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 09:33 AM   #5455
Ramzavail
College Starter

critch is the one dude that always goes early access. he's a real supporter.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 11:41 AM   #5456
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzavail View Post
critch is the one dude that always goes early access. he's a real supporter.

That's why my Steam library is full of half-finished crap.

For Ymir though, I've actually done some "research" and watched a couple of gameplay videos on youtube. It's early access, but it's in a good state and playable already. It's just the pricetag that's putting me off.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 12:40 PM   #5457
BishopMVP
Coordinator

It seems like it's designed more to be a slow burn MMO than a solo game you can mess around with for a couple hours here & there. If it's deep (& stays away from pay to win like he's promising) that's intriguing, but it does seem like a lot to bite off on a first iteration from a solo developer, and usually with EA games that have to work on balancing and new features I have more fun doing solo runs than getting invested in multiplayer. YMMV
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 12:46 PM   #5458
Izulde
Head Coach

If PigCeasar would have focused on solo play rather than MP, I'd have bit the bullet already as a break from Tropico series (which I love, but burnt out on for a while). As is, I'll wait for a steep discount.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 02:44 PM   #5459
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
If PigCeasar would have focused on solo play rather than MP, I'd have bit the bullet already as a break from Tropico series (which I love, but burnt out on for a while). As is, I'll wait for a steep discount.

One of the youtube videos was playing solo, but it was a huge empty map with barbarian tribes rather than AI empires. So yeah, the MP focus puts me off too. I'll revisit when it hits $20-ish.

Or I'll buy it when on steam and want something new, that could happen too.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 07:55 AM   #5460
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I stumbled on to gameplay of a new open world survival RPG called Outward today. It looks intriguing. You are just an average joe ready to become an adventurer. A thinking man kind of RPG where you have to learn the tools of the trade and how best to survive everything thrown at you. Here's a brief look at how the devs describe it:

OUTWARD - New Gameplay Walkthrough (Open World RPG Game 2019) - YouTube

If anyone jumps in on Outward, let us know how it is. Seems interesting.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 06:49 PM   #5461
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I got outward but due to my busy life have only played like 2-3 hours of it.

My opinion so far is that it is not bad. I know, thanks for the help right?

The big catch on it is that it is a little ruthless at times and doesn’t hold your hand too much. I personally think the game would be 20x more fun if I was playing it co-op with someone instead of solo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 11:15 AM   #5462
Thomkal
Head Coach

The Witness free at Epic
Old 04-04-2019, 11:55 AM   #5463
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Thomkal is now free (in bed)
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 03:17 PM   #5464
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Thomkal is now free (in bed)

Only if you get me a new computer to play all these games.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:22 AM   #5465
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I finally beat The Heart in Slay The Spire. Took me many tries, but I finally got a super sweet deck with The Silent that focused on block and heavy deck churn. I didn’t take any damage from The Awakened (lvl 3 boss) or those two sub-bosses before the heart and I think the Heart only hit me one turn.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:16 AM   #5466
Thomkal
Head Coach

Sniper: Ghost Warrior Trilogy for .50 cents at Fanatical for 24 hours only
Old 04-18-2019, 09:17 AM   #5467
Thomkal
Head Coach

In addition to a large donation Ubisoft has made to help the rebuilding of Notre Dame Cathedral, they are giving away free copies of Assassin's Creed: Unity which uses that building as part of its storyline. Game is free for a week. on Uplay

Last edited by Thomkal : 04-18-2019 at 09:24 AM.
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:52 AM   #5468
Thomkal
Head Coach

Transistor is the newest free game at Epic.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:57 PM   #5469
Capital
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I finally beat The Heart in Slay The Spire. Took me many tries, but I finally got a super sweet deck with The Silent that focused on block and heavy deck churn. I didn’t take any damage from The Awakened (lvl 3 boss) or those two sub-bosses before the heart and I think the Heart only hit me one turn.

What Ascension level were you on? I'm on level 8 with Ironclad and 7 with whatever name is the Rogue character.
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 01:01 PM   #5470
Capital
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital View Post
What Ascension level were you on? I'm on level 8 with Ironclad and 7 with whatever name is the Rogue character.

Sorry - obviously, it's the silent
Old 04-18-2019, 04:14 PM   #5471
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

*run run run run run run * Hey Transistor is....awwww
Old 04-18-2019, 05:16 PM   #5472
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

yuk this game could be good but it has awful gameplay
Old 04-18-2019, 07:44 PM   #5473
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Ascension Level 0. First time I had beaten it. I didn't want to start messing with Ascension levels until I actually got around to killing the heart.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 04-18-2019, 11:04 PM   #5474
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

anyone have the Super NT? it's a super NES clone you can play on 1080p with original carts

that last point is NOT a selling point to me
carts blow

also 1080p on pixelated graphics is worthless
Old 04-18-2019, 11:26 PM   #5475
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
anyone have the Super NT? it's a super NES clone you can play on 1080p with original carts

carts blow

If you don't mind grey market and roms, look up the GPD

Amazon.com : GPD XD Plus [2019 Update] Foldable Handheld Game Consoles 5" Touchscreen, Android 7.0 Fast Mediatek MT8176 Hexa-core 2.1GHz CPU, 4GB RAM/32GB ROM, 6000mAh Li-ion Battery : Computers & Accessories
Old 04-19-2019, 08:08 AM   #5476
Capital
High School Varsity

Quote:
Ascension Level 0. First time I had beaten it. I didn't want to start messing with Ascension levels until I actually got around to killing the heart.

Apparently I never got to the heart stage because I never play the robot character outside of very briefly in beta. Now I see that the if you beat the first ascension level with all of the characters, you get a chance at the heart. Silly me...

Congrats on beating the heart!
Old 04-19-2019, 02:35 PM   #5477
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

carts blow

Did anyone ever actually blow into a SNES cart? Wasn't that strictly a NES problem?
Old 04-19-2019, 02:57 PM   #5478
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Big Paradox sale at IndieGala https://www.indiegala.com/store/paradox-games
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:39 PM   #5479
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

carts blow

SNES classic is stupid easy to hack and add roms. I have 74 games on mine
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 07:08 PM   #5480
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
SNES classic is stupid easy to hack and add roms. I have 74 games on mine

SimCity?
Old 04-20-2019, 04:39 PM   #5481
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I don’t think I added that but if you can find the Rom it’s very easy to add. Once I tracked down everything it took 5 minutes to get it operational.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 02:08 PM   #5482
Thomkal
Head Coach

Asmodean Digital Board game Bundle at Humble Bundle. The highlight of this one is probably Twilight Struggle for one of those you get for $1. There is Carcassonnne expansions, Pandemic, a couple of Mysterium expansions, Love Letter, Gloom, Ticket to Ride-kids version?, Ascension, and at $12 there is Scythe and Pathfinder Adventures.
Old 04-24-2019, 02:18 PM   #5483
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Apparently I never got to the heart stage because I never play the robot character outside of very briefly in beta. Now I see that the if you beat the first ascension level with all of the characters, you get a chance at the heart. Silly me...

Thanks!

I finally beat the heart with the Ironclad today. I didn't think my deck was that strong, but it ended up doing the trick. Not quite as deadly as my Silent but a combo of some good blocking, a ton of strength, and Corruption allowed me to pull it off and survive.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:34 AM   #5484
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Imperator Rome is out today.. I've never been able to get into a Paradox grand strategy game before but this one is really interesting to me.

Who's the Paradox guru here and can post thoughts on this one after a few hours/days with it?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 11:53 AM   #5485
bhlloy
Coordinator

The cynic in me says you probably don’t have to spend any time with it - it’s paradox, so the first 9-12 months are going to be an exercise in buggy frustration until a few patches and at least one major DLC, then it will probably be a great game.

But in all seriousness, I’d love to hear first impressions too. No brainer purchase for me if it’s not a complete train wreck at release.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:46 PM   #5486
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Lot of bitching on the paradox forums about it (shocking).

I've only messed around with it for an hour or so. It looks like it's your typical Paradox vanilla game - flat. And from what I can tell, it's going to be a micromanaging nightmare, as far as promoting/shuffling population around. Unless I'm missing something, you have to manually promote pops between slave/freeman/citizen/etc. Per province. Of which there's a fucking TON even if you're medium sized.

Really, *really* tired of Paradox's business strategy these last few years. Release a mediocre, shallow game, make 10 or so expansions at 20 bucks a head, 80% of which are integral to playing the game. The game doesn't become enjoyable until at least 2 or 3 expansions in. Cha-ching.

That, and I just heard (this will only mean things to EU players), they put cascading alliances back in on this one. Just no. Fuck no.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 04-25-2019 at 09:47 PM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 05:44 PM   #5487
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post

I've only messed around with it for an hour or so. It looks like it's your typical Paradox vanilla game - flat. And from what I can tell, it's going to be a micromanaging nightmare, as far as promoting/shuffling population around. Unless I'm missing something, you have to manually promote pops between slave/freeman/citizen/etc. Per province. Of which there's a fucking TON even if you're medium sized.

Really, *really* tired of Paradox's business strategy these last few years. Release a mediocre, shallow game, make 10 or so expansions at 20 bucks a head, 80% of which are integral to playing the game. The game doesn't become enjoyable until at least 2 or 3 expansions in. Cha-ching.

That, and I just heard (this will only mean things to EU players), they put cascading alliances back in on this one. Just no. Fuck no.

Thanks.. I'm not into micro managing.. which I figured with it being a Paradox game. PASS

Still pumped for Field of Glory Empires.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 05:50 PM   #5488
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:

There's been a *lot* of bitching about the cascading alliances. After reading about what they are, I would be supremely annoyed at it in CK2.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 07:07 PM   #5489
bhlloy
Coordinator

Similar feedback on Steam, although most of the reviews I have read have been really positive. Definitely a hard pass for me.

I agree on the business model. Don’t begrudge them making money but their model is just put out half baked games for $40 and then making people spend another $40 for the DLCs to make it playable. On top of that, the mad DLC rush to bolt on features every couple of months means they are essentially torpedoing the mod community which makes their game truly great - which probably isn’t a completely unintended side effect to be honest. Not making any money off CKPlus or MEIOU and Taxes after all.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:02 PM   #5490
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I'm doing a casual multiplayer session with friends for a few hours tonight. I'll have more definitive feedback this weekend.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:05 AM   #5491
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

So, the best way I can describe Imperator in its current state is.

- Wait for points to fabricate claim.
- Declare war.
- Repeat.

My biggest problem, aside from the aformentioned problem with population micromanagement, is there's NOTHING to do between wars, except wait until you can declare war again.

And the game is badly missing some very straightforward interface features. No ledger, no easy way to tell province income/etc without manually clicking on everything.
Old 04-28-2019, 02:04 PM   #5492
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Thanks!

I finally beat the heart with the Ironclad today. I didn't think my deck was that strong, but it ended up doing the trick. Not quite as deadly as my Silent but a combo of some good blocking, a ton of strength, and Corruption allowed me to pull it off and survive.

And now I just beat The Heart with The Defect. I guess it's time to kick in the Ascension difficulties.
Old 04-28-2019, 05:38 PM   #5493
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
So, the best way I can describe Imperator in its current state is.

- Wait for points to fabricate claim.
- Declare war.
- Repeat.

My biggest problem, aside from the aformentioned problem with population micromanagement, is there's NOTHING to do between wars, except wait until you can declare war again.

And the game is badly missing some very straightforward interface features. No ledger, no easy way to tell province income/etc without manually clicking on everything.

I agree

The info I was reading about the game prior to release really built up the diplomacy aspects of the game, which is what had me excited. In its current state though the game really just boils down to creating armies, declaring war with the right people, and expanding through conquest.

And, yeah, manually clicking through screen after screen trying to learn where the info I'm looking for is can be rather tedious.

The game has as much potential as any other paradox game, but all this game does is make me want to play CK2 again.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 08:15 PM   #5494
tarcone
Coordinator

When do the people stop buying the games?

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 08:22 PM   #5495
bhlloy
Coordinator

It’s a good question but I’d imagine even if 10% of their base market has stopped buying the games at release, they are making that money back ten times over on people who are buying DLC and the versions of the games with all the DLC included.

I haven’t bought the Mars game and won’t buy Rome on principle, but given the hundreds I’ve spent on CK, EU and HOI do Paradox really give a shit?
Old 04-28-2019, 09:27 PM   #5496
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

can quit anytime
Old 04-28-2019, 09:30 PM   #5497
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I hear ya

Old 04-29-2019, 06:46 PM   #5498
Thomkal
Head Coach

GreenManGaming getting rid of a bunch of old inventory-most games marked down to .25cents. Of course there's a reason its old inventory, but maybe you can find something interesting in there:

Priced to Clear Sale at Green Man Gaming | PC Game Keys
Old 05-02-2019, 06:22 PM   #5499
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

I had no idea you could beat the heart
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:33 AM   #5500
Capital
High School Varsity

I didn't either until I saw this thread. I beat the heart last night on my second with the robot character. I'd like to try with the other two but I have Ironclad on ascension 9 and The Silent on ascension 7. It's getting difficult on those levels to get to the end.