Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-13-2007, 05:09 PM   #1
14ers
High School Varsity

Pepsi and CBS snub MARQUES COLSTON.

Anyone know why Pepsi,CBS and the NFL have decided to snub Saint's WR MARQUES COLSTON? He is not even good enough to make the ballet?

http://www.superbowl.com/rookies/vote
Quote:
Diet Pepsi Rookie of the Year

NEW YORK (Jan. 5, 2007) -- The National Football League today announced the five finalists for the 2006 DIET PEPSI NFL ROOKIE OF THE YEAR award.
2006 DIET PEPSI NFL ROOKIE OF THE YEAR FINALISTS
JOSEPH ADDAIRBIndianapolis Colts
REGGIE BUSHRBNew Orleans Saints
MAURICE JONES-DREWRBJacksonville Jaguars
DEVIN HESTERDB/KR/PRChicago Bears
VINCE YOUNGQBTennessee Titans

Fans can vote for one of these five players on NFL.com from Noon ET on January 5 through Noon ET on January 29 to determine the 2006 DIET PEPSI NFL ROOKIE OF THE YEAR.

Was there some type of pre-vote, or are these the players that the NFL and Pepsi want to promote? I noticed a couple of the players that qualified for the final vote were never even named Rookie of the week?

14ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 05:35 PM   #2
miami_fan
Coordinator

Colston had a good season but he tailed off towards the end of the season.

Rec Yds Y/G Avg Lng YAC 1stD TD

Games 1-8 44 700 87.5 15.9 86 6.2 32 7
Games 9-16 26 338 56.3 13.0 29 4.0 19 1

He did miss three games. Not sure it was that much of a slight compared to the names on that list.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 05:52 PM   #3
Desnudo
Coordinator

Of course you could just add a sixth name
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 06:00 PM   #4
PilotMan
Head Coach

I would like to see Colston in the ballet.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 06:02 PM   #5
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

That's why Coke will always rule!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 07:04 PM   #6
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Pepsi tastes like piss. Diet Pepsi IS piss.

That said, I think those six players were all very even in must respects, and it would have been a slight to leave any of them off. If I were making the list, as much as I love him, I would have left Jones-Drew as the odd man out, simply because while he was very impressive, his numbers were just a shade below everyone else.

Last edited by kcchief19 : 01-13-2007 at 07:04 PM.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 07:09 PM   #7
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
Of course you could just add a sixth name

Let's go for seven. DeMeco Ryans.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 07:15 PM   #8
Joe
Pro Starter

not good enough
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 07:33 PM   #9
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
Pepsi tastes like piss. Diet Pepsi IS piss.

That said, I think those six players were all very even in must respects, and it would have been a slight to leave any of them off. If I were making the list, as much as I love him, I would have left Jones-Drew as the odd man out, simply because while he was very impressive, his numbers were just a shade below everyone else.

I would have agreed with you initially, but if you look closer his numbers are far, far more impressive than Addai's. He scored a shitload of touchdowns and had a phenomenal YPC.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:08 PM   #10
cougarfreak
College Starter

It probably came down to Bush or Colston. You put them on the ballot and the fans are going to cancel them out by being from the same team.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 08:26 PM   #11
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan View Post
I would have agreed with you initially, but if you look closer his numbers are far, far more impressive than Addai's. He scored a shitload of touchdowns and had a phenomenal YPC.

I don't see the far far more impressive part, they both had the same number of touchdowns and Addai has more all purpose yards.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 08:31 PM   #12
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post
I don't see the far far more impressive part, they both had the same number of touchdowns and Addai has more all purpose yards.

Are you saying Addai had more TDs than Jones-Drew, or am I mis-reading this? I believe Jones-Drew had something like 13 TDs compared to Addai's 8.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 09:41 PM   #13
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Demeco Ryan's absence is the one that makes the list a joke. After all, the guy did win defensive rookie of the year.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 01:12 PM   #14
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Let's go for seven. DeMeco Ryans.

Hell, just put every single rookie on there.

Except Mario Williams of course. We know he wasn't the best.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 01:15 PM   #15
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I really hope Bush doesn't get it, but he probably will with all the hype.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 06:35 PM   #16
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post

Yea' - huh?? Jones-Drew scored way more and was among the best in the league in YPC.
Old 01-14-2007, 06:47 PM   #17
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Bah, didn't read the whole post and thought he was comparing Addai to Colston.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 07:10 PM   #18
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan View Post
Very fair point. I probably give Addai more credit for crossing the "mystical" 1,000-yard barrier and Jones-Drew too little credit for not "only" putting up 941. I'd be perfectly willing to accept the argument that Jones-Drew's season was more impressive than Addai, especially since I like the guy as a player.

DeMeco Ryans should absolutely be on the list, ahead of Hester certainly. But this list certainly smells of somebody in marketing who is not a hardcore football fan and just put down the names that they see on SportsCenter.

I think Colston received the least amount of publicity of anyone on this list, and Ryans didn't receive the publicity he deserved because all he did was tackle people -- he didn't intercept passes for TDs or engage in head-hunting practices that result in those "hard hits" the highlight shows love (yes, that's a reference to Shawne Merriman's 'roid-rage-filled rookie season last year, when I don't think he was necessarily the best rookie defensive player, but he got the most attention because he mad about a dozen really hard hits).

I'm also not a huge fan of APY that include kickoff return yardage. It's certainly a skill, but but it's an easy 20 yards on every return. It's a nice stat pad. Jones-Drew was third in the NFL in all-purpose yardage just ahead of Larry Johnson, but I wouldn't put Jones-Drew on the All-Pro team ahead of LJ just yet. Dante Hall was 13th in the NFL in APY, which I think let's you know all you need to know about APY as a measuring stick for greatness.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 07:32 PM   #19
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Colston.

Polston.

This name makes me double take every time.