Old 06-25-2019, 04:04 PM   #5554
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

the steam site is being hammered
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 04:20 PM   #5555
Thomkal
Head Coach

yeah there is some sort of weird "Grand Prix" badge game going on with the sale-choose one of five animal teams to support and such. Not sure exactly what's going on, but you can play certain games each day to support your team.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:23 PM   #5556
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
yeah there is some sort of weird "Grand Prix" badge game going on with the sale-choose one of five animal teams to support and such. Not sure exactly what's going on, but you can play certain games each day to support your team.

i'm looking at it. THey don't exactly make it easy to navigate.

The games they want me to play are games I don't like . Plus they list a bunch of participating games that i don't own and am not going to buy
Old 06-25-2019, 08:36 PM   #5557
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Any recommendations on Surviving Mars?
Old 06-25-2019, 09:06 PM   #5558
bhlloy
Coordinator

I found it very dry and dull, FWIW. Build stuff, get people, rinse and repeat. Generic city builder with a Mars theme, so unless you are a space enthusiast or love that particular genre I’d steer clear. And like most Paradox games it’s death by DLC if you want the full functionality of the game.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:18 PM   #5559
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Yeah, most everyone I know described the game as very shallow.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:45 AM   #5560
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Football, Glory & tactics is on a 25% off sale and I gave it a try last night. It's actually a lot of fun and well designed. It's a soccer RTS with team/player development, contracts and promotion/relegation. I download the Premier league mod and started with Man U on the lowest level (I renamed the levels to match England).

Some of the moves take some researching to use right, but they have a cool "footballipedia" in game that shows how they work. For $15, you could do worse and I've enjoyed it:

Save 25% on Football, Tactics & Glory on Steam
Old 06-26-2019, 04:56 PM   #5561
Critch
lolzcat

Steam sale started on my birthday, and even with the "it's my birthday!" excuse to go a bit crazy with the credit card I couldnt find a single thing to buy.

Steam sales aren't as good as they used to be.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 05:22 PM   #5562
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Frostpunk down to $15 at GoG. I think that's the lowest I've seen it Frostpunk on GOG.com
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 05:53 PM   #5563
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

15 bucks for Chef: Restaurant Tycoon. Hmm.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 06-26-2019 at 05:53 PM.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:34 AM   #5564
Thomkal
Head Coach

Last Day of June is the new free game at Epic.
Old 06-27-2019, 06:38 PM   #5565
BigDPW
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
15 bucks for Chef: Restaurant Tycoon. Hmm.

FYI I bought this game a few months back and I have enjoyed it. When I first bought the game it was fun but they have added more depth to it since then. Seems like they have been and will continue to regularly update it and it keeps getting better every time I reboot it. I would say it is worth the $15 but YMMV.
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 07:28 PM   #5566
Thomkal
Head Coach

Steam has changed the way the Summer Sale works so it easier to understand and so the rest of us have a chance against Team Corgi
Old 06-27-2019, 07:39 PM   #5567
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Steam has changed the way the Summer Sale works so it easier to understand and so the rest of us have a chance against Team Corgi

it's so damn broken Half the quests don't work

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 06-27-2019 at 08:15 PM.
Old 06-29-2019, 02:05 PM   #5568
Izulde
Head Coach

Pondering FM19 but is the scouting still that awful headache 18 was?

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 02:29 PM   #5569
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDPW View Post
FYI I bought this game a few months back and I have enjoyed it. When I first bought the game it was fun but they have added more depth to it since then. Seems like they have been and will continue to regularly update it and it keeps getting better every time I reboot it. I would say it is worth the $15 but YMMV.

I bought it a while back, and only played it a little. It was ok, but I really wish one of these would be be simulator and less game. I might be a minority, but I think it would be fun if it there was a game closer to realistic.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 02:38 PM   #5570
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Pondering FM19 but is the scouting still that awful headache 18 was?

I'm playing a ton of FM 19 right now and don't find the scouting to be that tedious at all, but I didn't touch FM 18 (or the last few versions.) I like the reports a lot and have enjoyed finding young gems.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 08:25 PM   #5571
Capital
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Football, Glory & tactics is on a 25% off sale and I gave it a try last night. It's actually a lot of fun and well designed. It's a soccer RTS with team/player development, contracts and promotion/relegation. I download the Premier league mod and started with Man U on the lowest level (I renamed the levels to match England).

Some of the moves take some researching to use right, but they have a cool "footballipedia" in game that shows how they work. For $15, you could do worse and I've enjoyed it:

Definitely a fun game and played it a ton. 2 thumbs up!

Just bought SteamWorld Quest - similar to Slay the Spire. Not quite as good but still a positive one for me.
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 08:39 AM   #5572
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Has anyone here played Elite: Dangerous? If so, what were your thoughts?
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 09:46 AM   #5573
Thomkal
Head Coach

So I've been watching the development of Planet Explorers for a while now, watching for a good sale on it. But some very bad news for the developer has turned into very good news for the rest of us, the server code base for multiplayer functionality was lost during a server outage in May, and apparantly they did not have a backup and/or a good one. They finally admitted defeat on the multiplayer version of the game and are now giving the game away for free on Steam. No idea if its any good-kinda reminds me on Minecraft/ARC/No Man's Sky, but hey its free to check it out now:

Planet Explorers Goes F2P Because The Multiplayer Code Was Lost - MMO Bomb
Old 07-04-2019, 10:33 AM   #5574
Thomkal
Head Coach

And on this day where we celebrate our Freedom, Epic joins in by offering Overcooked as their next free game.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:35 AM   #5575
Thomkal
Head Coach

Distant Worlds: Universe is the star deal on Fanatical-about 85% off-around $7.50
Old 07-05-2019, 11:55 AM   #5576
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:

Thanks for the rec, I've been enjoying this too. I never got into Blood Bowl, but I guess that's the best comparison for on field play. FM & FIFA/PES have their place, but it's nice to have a game I can pick up for 15 minutes here & there and actually play a couple matches without needing to set up a ton or immerse myself back in detailed characters. Feels almost like it could be a (very well done) freemium game too (and I noticed they have an early access version in the mobile store), but they've done a great job simplifying things while still making it fit both soccer on the pitch & the player/league/club progression. With the different skills and AI defensive set ups it's also the first time I've really enjoyed changing tactics game to game. One thing I will say is their default setting of 48 turns per match seems quite short & a whole half can be reliant on one good/bad dice roll, so I'm playing on 60 turns per match, and I do wish it was a straight sliding scale by 12's (so each team gets equal turns in a half), instead of the next jump being all the way up to like 120 turns per game.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 07-05-2019 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:04 PM   #5577
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Opinions on Kingdom Come: Deliverance? It's on the Humble Monthly for $12
Old 07-06-2019, 10:07 AM   #5578
Bisbo
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:

Add me to the list of satisfied customers. There is a surprising amount of depth here, yet you don't have to invest enormous amounts of time to enjoy it.
Bisbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 10:08 AM   #5579
Bisbo
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Thanks for the rec, I've been enjoying this too. I never got into Blood Bowl, but I guess that's the best comparison for on field play. FM & FIFA/PES have their place, but it's nice to have a game I can pick up for 15 minutes here & there and actually play a couple matches without needing to set up a ton or immerse myself back in detailed characters. Feels almost like it could be a (very well done) freemium game too (and I noticed they have an early access version in the mobile store), but they've done a great job simplifying things while still making it fit both soccer on the pitch & the player/league/club progression. With the different skills and AI defensive set ups it's also the first time I've really enjoyed changing tactics game to game. One thing I will say is their default setting of 48 turns per match seems quite short & a whole half can be reliant on one good/bad dice roll, so I'm playing on 60 turns per match, and I do wish it was a straight sliding scale by 12's (so each team gets equal turns in a half), instead of the next jump being all the way up to like 120 turns per game.

Ahh, didn't realize you could change the game length settings. Definitely going to set it to 60 turns going forward.
Bisbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 10:45 AM   #5580
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Opinions on Kingdom Come: Deliverance? It's on the Humble Monthly for $12

The thread for it covered it pretty well. I gave my opinion both while playing and after completing it. If you have any questions let me know.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Front Office Football Central
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:15 AM   #5581
Thomkal
Head Coach

Steam sale ends tomorrow-they have decided to reward a random 5000 users who participated in the races no matter the team with the top game on their wishlist-so everyone who did participate make sure your wishlist has the top game you want. If anybody does win or won by being on the top team, i'd love to hear about it.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:25 AM   #5582
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Yeah, I change the settings from 48 to 60 actions and the RNG type from Default to Decreased. Default does 1-100% of potential on the dice roll, while decreased does 30%-100%. I like it because it's not quite as random when you play better/worse teams. On the default, I've beaten or tied a few teams I had no business against because they got a 2 on a 95% max roll.

I'd also recommend choosing the English League Full 18-19 mod (or one of the others) when you select a team. You can get to them right from the screen. The logos and colors are nice - some also come with names that are right (but the attributes/ages are random).

I like to slow play and pump a ton of money in Youth Academy (try to get to 3 stars ASAP) and Glory into coaching (usually Def, For then Mid). Then, by season 6-8 I have a good group of players in their early 20s developing well. You can also go the transfer route and play it like a stock market where you don't do coaching but instead do the two assistants (one lowers age, the other increasing the players). You can get better faster using that route, but I don't think you are as good long term.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:39 AM   #5583
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Steam sale ends tomorrow-they have decided to reward a random 5000 users who participated in the races no matter the team with the top game on their wishlist-so everyone who did participate make sure your wishlist has the top game you want. If anybody does win or won by being on the top team, i'd love to hear about it.

That race was the worst
And I bought too much stuff :P
Team Hare forever!
Old 07-09-2019, 07:47 AM   #5584
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
I like to slow play and pump a ton of money in Youth Academy (try to get to 3 stars ASAP) and Glory into coaching (usually Def, For then Mid). Then, by season 6-8 I have a good group of players in their early 20s developing well. You can also go the transfer route and play it like a stock market where you don't do coaching but instead do the two assistants (one lowers age, the other increasing the players). You can get better faster using that route, but I don't think you are as good long term.

60 actions, for sure. Probably should be the default but I get that they're going for more of a quick pick-up game feel.

Arles, are you spending Glory on field Coaches AFTER spending on Bench Coach or instead of? Seems a very tough road to develop young players by play time only.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:12 AM   #5585
Ramzavail
College Starter

What did everyone buy? Someone had given me a $50 gift card so I was a bit more buy happy than usual.

megaquarium
Cliff empire
City-state
Simmiland
Islanders
Shadowhand

~$50 with the steam sale $5 off 15000 token purchase.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:44 AM   #5586
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
60 actions, for sure. Probably should be the default but I get that they're going for more of a quick pick-up game feel.

Arles, are you spending Glory on field Coaches AFTER spending on Bench Coach or instead of? Seems a very tough road to develop young players by play time only.

I immediately start spending on Defense coaching for a number of reasons:

1) I use 5 defenders, so it will improve the most players at a time.

2) As you get into the late game, stats for Forwards and Midfielders matter much less than skills. Stats for Defenders always matter.

3) At the beginning, you'll be starting most of your decent young players anyways.

4) Once you've built the defense up, then the bench coach bonuses will work in tandem with your defense bonuses. So if you have the full 400% for defense, then your defenders on the bench will also get 400%. The miniscule amounts you get for bench coach at the beginning don't help very much.

My favorite alignment is to play a flat back 5. I like this because one of the AI's favorite maneuvers is to move a FW behind your line and do a Long Pass through your defenders. With your flat back 5 on the 2nd row, the AI can't do this because it will be offside.

If you guys want to check out a dynasty I did a while back, it's here: https://forums.operationsports.com/f...ad.php?t=95255

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 07-09-2019 at 09:46 AM.
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:52 AM   #5587
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
I can't see bench coach being that useful until you are at the top level and have Def and Forward maxed.

To echo what Larry said, I like having a ton of defensive players. My goal is to have one RD and LD, 1-2 CB and the rest DF. DF are great because they stack against non-special shots and try to block passes. I also like the flexibility of using one in the DM spot against certain formations (they still acrue DF exp in the DM spot and their intercept pass skill works a lot like DM). As you get higher up, your goalie will be good against either cannon shot or rainbow feint. So, if you face a team with strikers with that skill, having DFs setup to block their normal shots can really stifle an offense.

In terms of development, I pump a ton into Def coaching and then Forward coaching. I try to get both to 100+% before putting some into mids. My normal roster is 8 Def, 5-6 Forwards, 1 goalie and a 3-4 mids. I like 1-2 CM and 1-2 LM. My design on offense is to have one good RF/LF with high control I can use the break through skill with (great way to start games/after goals), 2-3 CF with heading pumped and 1-2 FW with a good special (cannon or rainbow) and high acc. Then, I either go heading if the opp has good special defenses and no one in the sweeper spot or use the FW/RF guys if their special defense isn't great and play a ton of defenders in the sweeper area. I also don't mind losing a bunch and getting relegated if I get promoted with a lot of young guys. Finishing 5-8 with an older team isn't as good as getting relegated with a young team earlier on. Finally, I sell anyone when they get to 30-31 (outside of goalie) as their value starts to drop and their yearly contracts get super expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
4) Once you've built the defense up, then the bench coach bonuses will work in tandem with your defense bonuses. So if you have the full 400% for defense, then your defenders on the bench will also get 400%. The miniscule amounts you get for bench coach at the beginning don't help very much.
When do you start putting points on def coach? I never do the goalie because you have just 1 guy (and can increase his exp in specialization). Do you max out Def, Forward and Mid before putting points there? The 5% just doesn't seem like much.

Quote:
My favorite alignment is to play a flat back 5. I like this because one of the AI's favorite maneuvers is to move a FW behind your line and do a Long Pass through your defenders. With your flat back 5 on the 2nd row, the AI can't do this because it will be offside.
Yeah, you have to be careful with teams with good heading CF though. If you play the 5 flat against them, they will try a ton of headers. You also have to shift if facing a good RF/LF with high control. If you don't block the far right square (or left against LF), they will use break in against you and can get 1-on-1 with the goalie if your def isn't double their control. If I face a RF, I use a DF and RD to block the right and put my CD in the right box slot. This causes a second check if the RF does a break through by the CD.

Quote:
If you guys want to check out a dynasty I did a while back, it's here: Turn-based Soccer? A Football: Tactics and Glory Dynasty - Front Office Football Central
Very cool, I will check it out. I'm always interested in other strategies/plans for this game!

Last edited by Arles : 07-09-2019 at 10:56 AM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:16 AM   #5588
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Then, I either go heading if the opp has good special defenses and no one in the sweeper spot or use the FW/RF guys if their special defense isn't great and play a ton of defenders in the sweeper area.

Heading is a great way to get some surprise upsets early on, if you have someone with the Heading skill and the defending Keeper is low on Control. Also, you can neutralize the sweeper if you can launch the header from the square right next to him.

When upgrading Forwards, I'd make anyone with the Header skill a CF, since it automatically gets them an extra level in Heading. For Rainbow Feint/Cannon Shot guys, you'll want them to be FW for the extra mobility.

Quote:
When do you start putting points on def coach? I never do the goalie because you have just 1 guy (and can increase his exp in specialization). Do you max out Def, Forward and Mid before putting points there? The 5% just doesn't seem like much.

I fully max out Defense Coaching, with a few upgrades for the transfer list along the way. Then I max out Bench coach. I don't put much emphasis on stats for my Forwards and Midfielders.

Quote:
Yeah, you have to be careful with teams with good heading CF though. If you play the 5 flat against them, they will try a ton of headers. You also have to shift if facing a good RF/LF with high control. If you don't block the far right square (or left against LF), they will use break in against you and can get 1-on-1 with the goalie if your def isn't double their control. If I face a RF, I use a DF and RD to block the right and put my CF in the right box slot. This causes a second check if the RF does a break through by the CF.

Yeah I struggled a bit with wing forwards for a while, but I have a few ways to stop it...

1) Strategically place your CD's so that two of them will make a tackle attempt on the break-in.

2) Put a 6th defenders back there. Once, I actually played a 7-1-2 just to completely cut them off.

3) If the opposing Forwards don't have Cannon Shot, you can actually leave a hole in your line and just move your LD or RD to the last square. This prevents the break-in skill.

Old 07-09-2019, 01:50 PM   #5589
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Yeah, I change the settings from 48 to 60 actions and the RNG type from Default to Decreased. Default does 1-100% of potential on the dice roll, while decreased does 30%-100%. I like it because it's not quite as random when you play better/worse teams. On the default, I've beaten or tied a few teams I had no business against because they got a 2 on a 95% max roll.

I'd also recommend choosing the English League Full 18-19 mod (or one of the others) when you select a team. You can get to them right from the screen. The logos and colors are nice - some also come with names that are right (but the attributes/ages are random).

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
I immediately start spending on Defense coaching for a number of reasons:

1) I use 5 defenders, so it will improve the most players at a time.

2) As you get into the late game, stats for Forwards and Midfielders matter much less than skills. Stats for Defenders always matter.

3) At the beginning, you'll be starting most of your decent young players anyways.

If you guys want to check out a dynasty I did a while back, it's here: Turn-based Soccer? A Football: Tactics and Glory Dynasty - Front Office Football Central
Yeah, it was fun to get a cupset or two in my initial career because I had good rolls, but now that I'm good for my level I appreciate the "decreased" randomness.

For team building, it looks like Larry got to the point where he was dominant at that top level while I'm still bouncing around careers & working my way up the ladder, but I also go 100% of glory into coaching because I prefer homegrown teams. I actually think forwards first is the way to go because scoring is so difficult early on unless you're gifted a good striker, and being able to run up the score on bad teams & get some cheap glory points that way. Also, unlike my advice & unlike you guys (partially because I'm unwilling to completely game it and use 6-7 defenders) I've actually gone first into midfielders in this career & I'm still having a ton of defensive success. Maybe he's less useful at higher levels where players have better passing/control & can use lofted passes more, but I have an absolute boss DM with Long Pass who can lock down the middle of the field & move it back up the field, usually 3-4 other M's or F's who have slide tackle, so 80% of the game is played on their half of the field. I think I've allowed the fewest goals every season, even when I couldn't promote because I'd tie half my games 0-0/1-1, and right now am sitting on 2 goals allowed in 14 games despite fairly weak defenders/average GK. In other careers I feel like my defenders were much better than the opposition, but they were still susceptible to crosses or the random guy hitting like 3 straight rainbow feints on me to score. This is contrary to what Larry says & he's actually won continental cups though, so ymmv.

I also always do build up that youth academy, but weirdly at this level where I can plug in many of my young players I preferred it when they were showing up as "D/M/F" & I could pick their first skill, not already having a full position & 1 skill level learned. Having a forward with high control show up as a CF instead of someone I can stick right on the wing, having a defender show up with like rainbow feint, or having another AM show up when I already have 2 young ones in my rotation & I could use another winger is definitely annoying. There's also times I appreciate having guys in specific positions, but I didn't even realize that it's anyone you make DF/MF/FW who has access to that 2nd special skill, and that can be a killer combo. A FW with slide tackle + rainbow or cannon or being able to add in Olympic Kick to a defender for when I'm facing a team with high control across their backline? Yes please!
Quote:
Very cool, I will check it out. I'm always interested in other strategies/plans for this game!
Yeah, that's definitely something I'm liking. Going heavy on midfielder coaching was super frustrating when I had a season I couldn't even make it out of the Amateur's because I had 4 goals scored & 1 allowed for the season, but it forced me to be a little more creative & I'm starting to see some nice combinations. Moving the ball through the AM & using his False Kick ability can open holes, I've also developed his scoring to the point long shots are an option late in the clock, and I have an LM with Cannon shot who can take a pass from the defense/GK & get one of those off in the same turn if the set up is right.
Old 07-09-2019, 02:26 PM   #5590
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Yeah, it was fun to get a cupset or two in my initial career because I had good rolls, but now that I'm good for my level I appreciate the "decreased" randomness.

For team building, it looks like Larry got to the point where he was dominant at that top level while I'm still bouncing around careers & working my way up the ladder, but I also go 100% of glory into coaching because I prefer homegrown teams. I actually think forwards first is the way to go because scoring is so difficult early on unless you're gifted a good striker, and being able to run up the score on bad teams & get some cheap glory points that way.

That makes sense. As you can see from my career, I struggled quite a bit in the lower levels, particularly with scoring.

Quote:
Also, unlike my advice & unlike you guys (partially because I'm unwilling to completely game it and use 6-7 defenders) I've actually gone first into midfielders in this career & I'm still having a ton of defensive success. Maybe he's less useful at higher levels where players have better passing/control & can use lofted passes more, but I have an absolute boss DM with Long Pass who can lock down the middle of the field & move it back up the field, usually 3-4 other M's or F's who have slide tackle, so 80% of the game is played on their half of the field.

I had a great DM in my career. The only problem was I didn't build up his control. He'd often intercept that opening pass, but then give it right back up, causing a big stalemate in the midfield.

Quote:
In other careers I feel like my defenders were much better than the opposition, but they were still susceptible to crosses or the random guy hitting like 3 straight rainbow feints on me to score. This is contrary to what Larry says & he's actually won continental cups though, so ymmv.

One way to deal with multiple Rainbow Feints is to have two CD's on your back line next to each other. This way, even if the Rainbow Feint is successful on one of them, the other will make a tackle attempt.

By the higher levels, my GK had the Playing Out ability and I 'd have 1-2 Defenders with the Header ability, so those weren't a big issue for me.

Quote:
I also always do build up that youth academy, but weirdly at this level where I can plug in many of my young players I preferred it when they were showing up as "D/M/F" & I could pick their first skill, not already having a full position & 1 skill level learned. Having a forward with high control show up as a CF instead of someone I can stick right on the wing, having a defender show up with like rainbow feint, or having another AM show up when I already have 2 young ones in my rotation & I could use another winger is definitely annoying.

For guys like this, if they're worth keeping for the long haul, I'll simply retrain them. I had a CF with high control and just played him on the wing long enough to give him a 2nd position.

Old 07-09-2019, 04:48 PM   #5591
Arles
Grey Dog Software

For those of you with questions on how to play, I'd check out their "footballipedia" by clicking the ? in the top right of any screen. It explains the moves/specials and also gives tips. I'd also recommend watching a few games. The AI has some holes, but it does use the break in, power shot, rainbow feint and other specials pretty well. It also does a good job crossing when that's possible.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:03 AM   #5592
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Anyone play Starters Orders 7 Horse Racing? I haven't played a HR sim since back in the Atari days and Steeplechase.

This game looks helladeep.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 07-10-2019 at 10:04 AM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:22 AM   #5593
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Anyone play Starters Orders 7 Horse Racing? I haven't played a HR sim since back in the Atari days and Steeplechase.

If you go to their main site, you can download a demo version of one of their betas which will give you an idea. Its located on the main page, under the news section.

https://www.startersorders.com/index.html#

Personally, have not tried the new version but played version #6...or at least I tried. Seems to be the deepest race horse simulator out there, but I am no racing expert so was hard to wrap my head around it. Did really enjoy watching the 3D races though. Although had some US races, it seemed more geared towards other countries, but maybe I am wrong about that since I didn't get that far.

Anyway, worth a shot to try the demo out....
SlyBelle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:04 AM   #5594
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post

I haven't played 7, but played a lot of SO4 and a decent amount of SO6. It looks nice and is a challenge to get a winning stable (at least for me). My biggest complaint is that it's still geared for UK racing. I used mods to make the US racing more palatable but the race classifications are still odd. Being a horseplayer this bothers me maybe more than it should, but YMMV.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:06 AM   #5595
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyBelle1 View Post
If you go to their main site, you can download a demo version of one of their betas which will give you an idea. Its located on the main page, under the news section.

https://www.startersorders.com/index.html#

Personally, have not tried the new version but played version #6...or at least I tried. Seems to be the deepest race horse simulator out there, but I am no racing expert so was hard to wrap my head around it. Did really enjoy watching the 3D races though. Although had some US races, it seemed more geared towards other countries, but maybe I am wrong about that since I didn't get that far.

Anyway, worth a shot to try the demo out....

Awesome, thank you!
Old 07-10-2019, 11:07 AM   #5596
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegeebored View Post
I haven't played 7, but played a lot of SO4 and a decent amount of SO6. It looks nice and is a challenge to get a winning stable (at least for me). My biggest complaint is that it's still geared for UK racing. I used mods to make the US racing more palatable but the race classifications are still odd. Being a horseplayer this bothers me maybe more than it should, but YMMV.

That might bother me too.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:14 PM   #5597
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I've played probably hundreds of hours of all the versions of Starters Orders, and all the previous versions have been plagued by the same crucial issue: when racing on the US schedule you will eventually come across prestigious high-stakes races with only 3-4 entrants, which allows even your weakest horses to get money and good finishes, and goes pretty far towards entirely ruining the game.

I haven't played SO7, but I would bet the house that hasn't been addressed in any way.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 07-10-2019 at 12:16 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 12:34 PM   #5598
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I've played probably hundreds of hours of all the versions of Starters Orders, and all the previous versions have been plagued by the same crucial issue: when racing on the US schedule you will eventually come across prestigious high-stakes races with only 3-4 entrants, which allows even your weakest horses to get money and good finishes, and goes pretty far towards entirely ruining the game.

I haven't played SO7, but I would bet the house that hasn't been addressed in any way.

There's a steam review that implies exactly that - US still redheaded stepchild.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:00 PM   #5599
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
There's a steam review that implies exactly that - US still redheaded stepchild.

Well then... moving on.....
Old 07-10-2019, 01:12 PM   #5600
thesloppy
Pro Starter

That being said, I have enjoyed it enough over the years to keep playing for those collective hundreds of hours. The nature of the issue is such that you probably won't notice in the early game, and then by the time it starts bothering me consistently I'm also immersed/invested enough in my horses & stable that I try and suffer through it until I eventually get bored and/or frustrated.

I think it does everything well enough that I've often considered trying out the UK schedule and seeing if the supposedly better-behaved functionality will make up for the lack of familiarity, but I've never actually tested that out.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 07-10-2019 at 01:16 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote