Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-02-2018, 07:46 AM   #51
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Also: LeBron, Lance Stephenson, and Lonzo Ball on the same team(assuming no other deals shake that up). Oh, the books that are going to be written about this. Luke Walton's gonna earn his money.
Will he, or will he be pushed out the door by at least next seasons trade deadline?

Also, they just signed Javale McGee, and have still been linked to both Boogie & Nerlens Noel. Though I do think there's a decent chance Lonzo is traded in a Kawhi deal if the Spurs decide to trade him.

BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:00 AM   #52
Groundhog
Coordinator

Not NBA, but one of the worst brawls I’ve seen in a game tonight in the Australia vs Philippines. One Aussie was on the ground being laid into by about 10 Philippines players.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:05 AM   #53
Groundhog
Coordinator

And the Philippines team smiling and taking selfies afterwards. Unbelievable.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:12 AM   #54
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Not NBA, but one of the worst brawls I’ve seen in a game tonight in the Australia vs Philippines. One Aussie was on the ground being laid into by about 10 Philippines players.
Where were his teammates?
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:15 AM   #55
Groundhog
Coordinator

The 4 on the court where down the other end, with the bench being held back. No Australia’s came on from the bench, and Luc Longley the assistant coach had to run down and get the Aussie off the ground.

No one realised he was on the ground until he was being mobbed.

Last edited by Groundhog : 07-02-2018 at 08:16 AM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:19 AM   #56
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Wonder if this somehow played a part in that strangeness?

FIBA WORLD CUP ASIAN QUALIFIERS: Australia apologizes over Philippine Arena incident | ABS-CBN Sports

edit to add: No, I'm not suggesting any sort of legitimacy to that connection. I'm just wondering if somehow it was a factor in what sounds like base thuggery.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-02-2018 at 08:20 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:21 AM   #57
Groundhog
Coordinator

Rambulan sa Fiba Philippines VS Australia Fight!!!! Literal na suntukan!!! - YouTube

Embed link isn’t working, but there’s some footage.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:22 AM   #58
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

FIBA WORLD CUP ASIAN QUALIFIERS: Australia apologizes over Philippine Arena incident | ABS-CBN Sports

edit to add: No, I'm not suggesting any sort of legitimacy to that connection. I'm just wondering if somehow it was a factor in what sounds like base thuggery.

I doubt it. It did cause some Twitter controversy today. Bigger factor was 30 point 3rd quarter lead we had on their home court.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:24 AM   #59
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

for the curious, there's also some fan-shot footage in the link of the fight story on that site I linked the decal story from
Old 07-02-2018, 08:31 AM   #60
Groundhog
Coordinator

9 Philippines players ejected. Took 30 minutes to decide. Going to be some lengthy suspensions.

DolA

Game is not cancelled.. playing 5 on 3... ridiculous.

Last edited by Groundhog : 07-02-2018 at 08:35 AM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:41 AM   #61
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Where's Collin Sexton when you need him?
Old 07-02-2018, 08:51 AM   #62
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Having seen some footage of the start of the melee it's maybe a little more balanced than it initial seemed. Well, the on-the-court part was. It got uneven pretty quickly once one bench cleared.

And, uh, what's up with what appears to be almost hockey style boards in front of the Phillipine bench? From the looks of it, they had to hop the boards to rush the court.

edit to add: 24/7 sports has the clip I'm talking about (from Aussie TV best I can tell) but I won't link here 'cause I think that's one of the sites that makes threads go haywire here.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-02-2018 at 08:52 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:58 AM   #63
Thomkal
Head Coach

Well as a Pacers fan, I'm glad to see James leave Cleveland and join the madness that is the West. Maybe now they can actually get by the Cavs in the Playoffs. And added bonus, Golden State can take out the Lakers before the Finals, so Pacers don't have to face him at all.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:58 AM   #64
Groundhog
Coordinator

The initial retaliation foul from Kickert was bad and suspension worthy, but what happened to Sobey on the ground with the mob (as well as the thrown chair to the back of his head) was pretty sickening. Philippines hosting the 2023 world cup, could be interesting.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:31 AM   #65
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The initial retaliation foul from Kickert was bad and suspension worthy, but what happened to Sobey on the ground with the mob (as well as the thrown chair to the back of his head) was pretty sickening. Philippines hosting the 2023 world cup, could be interesting.

Honestly, after that, they shouldn't be hosting anything IMO.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:35 PM   #66
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Also: LeBron, Lance Stephenson, and Lonzo Ball on the same team(assuming no other deals shake that up). Oh, the books that are going to be written about this. Luke Walton's gonna earn his money.

Reportedly add Rondo to the mix.

Nerlens Noel to the Thunder.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

Last edited by miami_fan : 07-02-2018 at 04:37 PM.
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 04:45 PM   #67
MrBug708
Head Coach

Lakers renounced Randle
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 04:45 PM   #68
RainMaker
General Manager

Lebron is a pretty bad GM.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 04:55 PM   #69
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal
Maybe now they can actually get by the Cavs in the Playoffs.

Depends on who Cleveland adds. There's a pretty good chance that nobody gets by the Cavs in the playoffs … because they'll be in the lottery.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 05:45 PM   #70
Izulde
Head Coach

I said two years ago the Lakers needed to trade Randle while his stock was still fairly high. Now this shit. JFC.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 05:52 PM   #71
Groundhog
Coordinator

Too early for LBJ to demand a trade? I'm still assuming there is one big name deal in the works, because otherwise this is looking worse than Cleveland 2017-18. Hard to picture a PG less suitable for an LBJ team than Rondo.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:54 PM   #72
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Depends on who Cleveland adds. There's a pretty good chance that nobody gets by the Cavs in the playoffs … because they'll be in the lottery.

To be fair, there's a pretty good chance the entire Eastern Conference will end up in the lottery.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 06:08 PM   #73
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Too early for LBJ to demand a trade? I'm still assuming there is one big name deal in the works, because otherwise this is looking worse than Cleveland 2017-18. Hard to picture a PG less suitable for an LBJ team than Rondo.

Lonzo and Rondo has to be among the worst point guard combos you could place with LeBron.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 06:08 PM   #74
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I assume that means they think Ball will be included in a trade for Kawhi, but still makes little sense. Is D-Wade next? Waiting for Carmelo to get bought out?

Also, that whole brawl is looking even worse, from the coach in the previous huddle - Anton Tioseco on Twitter: "Video proof (thanks to @radnovales )… " - to seeing pictures of what seems to be a cameraman punching an Aussie player in the face & a fan throwing that chair. Is FIBA as corrupt as the IOC/FIFA, or is there a chance the Philippines will be seriously punished?
Old 07-02-2018, 06:21 PM   #75
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Also, that whole brawl is looking even worse, from the coach in the previous huddle - Anton Tioseco on Twitter: "Video proof (thanks to @radnovales )… " - to seeing pictures of what seems to be a cameraman punching an Aussie player in the face & a fan throwing that chair. Is FIBA as corrupt as the IOC/FIFA, or is there a chance the Philippines will be seriously punished?

Now that I've had time to calm down, I agree that the worst part of all this is the combination of fans, staff, and even team officials who got involved. IMO any fan in the clip throwing punches or stomping should be charged with assault. Any official should be banned. Security should be sacked. Refs should be disciplined for not trying to separate players initially.

Also the way the Philippines carried on in the 30 mins after while it was reviewed was particularly disgusting - not to mention the way the coach and PG Romeo spoke after the game - the guy that came swinging at Maker from behind early in the fracas.

I suspect it will be fines and suspensions from FIBA - Kickert and Maker will miss some games (in particular Kickert), but does any NBA team want their highly paid players to risk it on a court in that atmosphere? There was expected to be 50,000 fans in the arena that game but it was probably closer to 20k thanks to the high ticket prices... Could have been much worse with a huge crowd, because it looked like it was on the verge of being even worse than it turned out to be - which itself was really bad.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:40 PM   #76
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP
I assume that means they think Ball will be included in a trade for Kawhi, but still makes little sense.

Plus, everything I've read -- which I know rumors are flying like crazy, but -- says the Spurs aren't interested in Lonzo. They like Kuzma, Ingram, etc. but Lonzo not so much. Which makes sense. I just can't see Popovich dealing with a distraction like LaVar, who would be constantly throwing a fit about this that and the other.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 06:45 PM   #77
Groundhog
Coordinator

An auspicious sign as Trae Young's first two threes in a Hawks jersey both fall about a foot wide of the basket.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:13 PM   #78
stevew
Hall Of Famer

So the Lakers can still trade Lonzo and Randal and maybe something else and get Boogie back and then still have the pieces to trade kuzma and Ingram for kwahi, correct? Pretty sure all of these moves are technically not completed yet.

Rondo/Kwahi/LeBron/Boogie/KCP is a pretty good crunchtime lineup. Plus you would have Josh Hart/Lance/javelle on the bench and some ring chasers(Jeff Green?). Def need a shooter, but Rondo is way better than he's being given credit for.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:23 PM   #79
Groundhog
Coordinator

I just do not see Boogie and LBJ being able to co-exist on the one team.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:47 PM   #80
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Just saw a headline on my phone that said Boogie to the Warriors? How is that even possible?

Edit: 1 year, $5.3m, apparently.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 07-02-2018 at 07:51 PM.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:49 PM   #81
MrBug708
Head Coach

In an effort to make sure the Lakers cannot assemble a super team, the NBA has essentially ruined itself with these rules.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:49 PM   #82
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Just saw a headline on my phone that said Boogie to the Warriors? How is that even possible?

Because we've all died and gone to NBA Hell.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:52 PM   #83
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Part of me wants the Cavs to dump everyone. But at the same time, it would be interesting to see if Kevin Love could become a superstar again.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:53 PM   #84
Groundhog
Coordinator

I have no doubt that Love will average 25-15 again, just enough to keep the Cavs from a top 4 pick next season. IMO need to just move him now and rebuild.

Boogie to Warriors is just dumb. *shrug*
Old 07-02-2018, 07:55 PM   #85
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Brilliant move by GS. Now Cousins can deflect half of Draymond's technicals.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:55 PM   #86
MrBug708
Head Coach

Magic failed today. Signing Rondo and missing Boogie
Old 07-02-2018, 08:03 PM   #87
Groundhog
Coordinator

So far LBJ is looking like a fluke hole-in-one for Magic, compared to the other double-bogeys since.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:05 PM   #88
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post

Edit: 1 year, $5.3m, apparently.
After DAJ to DAL & Julius Randle to NO I was wondering who still had the money for Boogie. 1 year deal to prove he's healthy & re-enter FA in 2019 made sense, and I don't think anyone was actually offering him $15m+. So sure, why not?

Not sure if they had to do it to complete some other move, but Lakers renouncing Randle's matching rights this early seems like a bug mistake. Even if you're not inclined to match, NO might not have offered that quickly if he was still restricted.

Quote:
I have no doubt that Love will average 25-15 again, just enough to keep the Cavs from a top 4 pick next season. IMO need to just move him now and rebuild.
Well, you'll still have the combination of rookie PG (who I like, but still) & Jordan Clarkson to run the offense through late in close games. Is Ty Lue smart enough to figure that out?...
Old 07-02-2018, 08:35 PM   #89
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The NBA is completely broken
Old 07-02-2018, 08:38 PM   #90
Comey
College Starter

Magic surrounded LeBron with The Land of Misfit Toys.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:10 PM   #91
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

I dont really like the Cousins signing for Golden State. I mean they are already a well oiled machine in which adding a new part seems like a risk they dont need to take. As much talent as Boogie has he has never proved to be a winner in the NBA and New Orleans improved last year when Boogie went down. They already have a hard time getting Klay enough shots plus I think Boogie and Draymond are polar opposites as far as heart and determination.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 07-02-2018 at 10:14 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:15 PM   #92
RainMaker
General Manager

Warriors were a lock to win it all anyway so I don't think the move really changes much. Maybe he helps, maybe not. Doesn't matter in this league.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:25 PM   #93
Groundhog
Coordinator

Worst case the Warriors just cut Cousins and move on with their lives. Best case, well, see ya'll in the 2019 offseason folks because I have no interest in watching Team USA breeze through another season uncontested.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:29 PM   #94
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Meanwhile, Enes Kanter having a blast on Twitter

More
Adam Silver has agreed to a Mid Level Extension with the Golden State, league sources tell ME. ����

Wouldn’t be surprised if I see
BREAKING: Warriors just signed Thanos and John Wick to add to their bench for one year. Lol
Old 07-02-2018, 10:41 PM   #95
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Meanwhile, Enes Kanter having a blast on Twitter

More
Adam Silver has agreed to a Mid Level Extension with the Golden State, league sources tell ME. ����

Wouldn’t be surprised if I see
BREAKING: Warriors just signed Thanos and John Wick to add to their bench for one year. Lol

Classic
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 11:06 PM   #96
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Speaking of tweets ... wouldn't Embid's tweets about "do a Deandre Jordan and #TrustIt" violate tampering rules?

Or is that not a thing since Lebron is out of contract technically?
Old 07-02-2018, 11:13 PM   #97
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Warriors were a lock to win it all anyway so I don't think the move really changes much. Maybe he helps, maybe not. Doesn't matter in this league.
Quote:
Worst case the Warriors just cut Cousins and move on with their lives. Best case, well, see ya'll in the 2019 offseason folks because I have no interest in watching Team USA breeze through another season uncontested.
Am I the only one who remembers the Warriors being down 3-2 in the conference finals, and probably a healthy Chris Paul, another rolled ankle for Steph, or even just an average shooting night from the Rockets away from losing it? (Yes, I know the Rockets have gotten a little worse with Ariza signing elsewhere, but no one expected them to be a good as they were. Plus LeBron might still pair up with Kawhi & there are two pretty good, ascendant teams in the East.)

You guys are smart enough basketball fans to realize that Demarcus Cousins (especially the version coming off an Achilles injury who won't even be healthy until midseason) doesn't provide an immediate upgrade for Golden State (even healthy Cousins probably shouldn't even crack their crunch time lineup...), so why pretend last season was a fait accompli and the Warriors weren't pushed (even if it was only one team)?
Old 07-02-2018, 11:23 PM   #98
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:

Was watching live. The entire thing was pretty surreal.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:25 PM   #99
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:

It definitely fed into the fire before the game.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:40 PM   #100
RainMaker
General Manager

Rockets winning that series would have been one of the biggest upsets in NBA history. I just don't see that happening again. Especially with Paul a year older and Ariza gone.

The only chance a team has is injuries to two of the Warriors stars.