Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-14-2021, 02:34 PM   #20901
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Is it safe to eat a potatoe that has started to sprout?

Coincidently I did just that today. Never crossed my mind it wouldn't be okay. Medium sized yukon yellow gold, microwaved for 3.5 min. Add butter, salt and pepper.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 04:40 PM   #20902
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I just got an automated email offering me a happy "Vaneltine's day". I don't know what that is but it sounds like a good time.
Old 02-14-2021, 08:24 PM   #20903
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I just got an automated email offering me a happy "Vaneltine's day". I don't know what that is but it sounds like a good time.

Probably some sort of Ovaltine knockoff
Old 02-14-2021, 09:06 PM   #20904
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ovaltine
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 09:53 AM   #20905
miami_fan
Coordinator

‘Mattress Mack’ opens stores as warming centers for Houston residents | KXAN Austin

I may find out he is a horrible person at some point but for now full credit to Mattress Mack for having human compassion.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 12:26 PM   #20906
bob
College Starter

I would be more willing to give to charities if there was a "Please use this single donation and never ever contact me" option.

I'm sure their calculation is that it works out better for them to constantly send mail and calendars and other crap, but I'm sick of donating a small amount and then seeing most of it come back to me in junk mail over the next 3 - 5 years.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 01:10 PM   #20907
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
I would be more willing to give to charities if there was a "Please use this single donation and never ever contact me" option.

I'm sure their calculation is that it works out better for them to constantly send mail and calendars and other crap, but I'm sick of donating a small amount and then seeing most of it come back to me in junk mail over the next 3 - 5 years.

Oh yeah, infinitely this. I don’t even bother opening them at this point. Even charities we have monthly donations with still regularly send me absolute junk.

I wonder where the break even point is going to be with people who grew up with the internet and not mail as their main form of outside communication and have these kind of sentiments, and if charities are even self aware to realize it and change their strategy, but I guess it still works for them with the time being (or they think it does).
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 01:33 PM   #20908
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post

Along these lines, I gave money to my daughter's former college softball program, as well as minor donations to a couple of her friends/former teammates' teams. The amount of emails and regular mail I continue to get is ridiculous - and no "unsubscribe" options on the emails that I can find. Apparently schools are exempt from those rules? Pisses me off. I'll be getting UTM softball fundraising requests until I die or change my email address.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 01:49 PM   #20909
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
‘Mattress Mack’ opens stores as warming centers for Houston residents | KXAN Austin

I may find out he is a horrible person at some point but for now full credit to Mattress Mack for having human compassion.

The guys who work to help him get his bets down are on a radio station I listen to often. They have said in the past he is a great guy who is super benevolent in the community.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 04:24 PM   #20910
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Along these lines, I gave money to my daughter's former college softball program, as well as minor donations to a couple of her friends/former teammates' teams. The amount of emails and regular mail I continue to get is ridiculous - and no "unsubscribe" options on the emails that I can find. Apparently schools are exempt from those rules? Pisses me off. I'll be getting UTM softball fundraising requests until I die or change my email address.

Not exempt, but rather taking advantage to a previously established relationship. That seems to be the workaround for a lot of spam of that sort, the problem is that it's difficult to ever break those ties.

(It's the reason all those "Win A 3-Day Vacation" contest boxes are at the register of the Chinese resaurant/ BBQ joint / etc. Once you do that, the relationship is established and they can assign it (i.e. sell you on) however they see fit )
Old 02-19-2021, 02:37 PM   #20911
rjolley
College Starter

Thought is was excellent... https://twitter.com/RexChapman/statu...33273660055555
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 01:53 PM   #20912
Atocep
Coordinator

It's really cool to see 3 kids my son played HS and summer baseball with starting in the PAC-12 as freshmen.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 04:14 PM   #20913
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Pro tip - Once you have opened a box containing a bookshelf you are to build, close your knife.

Opened box, started construction, turned and my knee pushed my swiss army knife straight into the meaty part of my hand. 3 stitches and a tetanus shot later, fun times.

At least I know my knife is still sharp.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 02-21-2021 at 04:15 PM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 05:07 PM   #20914
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

oh no!
Old 02-23-2021, 06:49 PM   #20915
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Whoever owns the rights to Hypercolor could probably bring it back right about now to make some nostalgia bucks on 90s kids.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 07:39 AM   #20916
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Whoever owns the rights to Hypercolor could probably bring it back right about now to make some nostalgia bucks on 90s kids.

SI

Omnibus Episode 42: Hypercolor (Entry 611.GE3703)
Old 02-24-2021, 07:53 AM   #20917
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I like coffee and tea about the same.

And I am pretty sure that makes we weird. I think that most people have a strong preference one way or the other.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 08:02 AM   #20918
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Whoever invented coffee doesn't get nearly enough credit.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:10 AM   #20919
Ksyrup

Wife and I only drink tea.

I tried coffee for one week when I started law school. Hated the taste and it didn't keep me awake enough to justify it, so I went back to tea.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 02-24-2021, 08:25 AM   #20920
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I love coffee. It's one of life's great joys, especially when paired properly with the right breakfast or breakfast treat.

I like tea well enough, but I rarely drink it.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 09:02 AM   #20921
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I don't like either - I actively hate coffee, and barely tolerate tea. Which puts me in some small company as well, I would bet.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 09:20 AM   #20922
cuervo72
Head Coach

I like both. I have gone through phases with them. Right now I am drinking tea, because I felt like I was on the cusp of having an ulcer (or have one, who knows) and I read cutting out things like greasy foods and coffee may help. So I've switched to tea. Thankfully, I have had no caffeine headaches, so I must be drinking enough of it.
Old 02-24-2021, 09:30 AM   #20923
tarcone
Coordinator

I hate both. Cannot stand the taste at all. I tried to drink coffee in college, but it was just ,ilk and sugar with a little coffee. Tea tastes like watered down dirt.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 09:37 AM   #20924
JediKooter
Coordinator

The only good thing about coffee is the smell. Plus, it all tastes exactly the same no matter what 'kind' it is, how expensive it is, how it's brewed or what other things you add to it.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 09:59 AM   #20925
Kodos
Resident Alien

After I gave up soda just about 8 years ago, I relied on chocolate for my caffeine fix. I finally decided to give green tea a chance. It was bad. I had to add six sugar packets to make it tolerable. Eventually, I was able to lower the amount of sugar. Now I can drink green tea with lemon with either no sugar, or just one packet. It's probably my most-consumed liquid now, with water in second place. I still hate coffee, and have had a total of one teaspoon of it in my life.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:03 AM   #20926
Ksyrup

Yes, I do like the smell of, say, hazelnut coffee when it's brewed, but it tastes about .001% of how good it smells.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:06 AM   #20927
Ksyrup

As far as tea goes, my wife drinks only regular black tea and I drink anything but. Mine's always flavored, usually some variety of black, green, rooibos, white or hibiscus/herbal.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:11 AM   #20928
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
The only good thing about coffee is the smell. Plus, it all tastes exactly the same no matter what 'kind' it is, how expensive it is, how it's brewed or what other things you add to it.

I fear the Sith Lord has dulled your sense of taste.
Old 02-24-2021, 11:24 AM   #20929
molson
General Manager

I started drinking coffee was I was about 30. Black only, just because that makes it so much easier. It's not a daily habit, but on days I remember to make it and bring a 24-ounce leak-proof full canister of it to work, I'm happy to have it. And some afternoons, a walk from the office to the coffee shop to get a big 'ole black coffee just turns my work day around into something more positive.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 11:27 AM   #20930
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
I fear the Sith Lord has dulled your sense of taste.

Oh man I wish that were true, I'd be able to eat fish finally! Same problem I have with coffee, I have with fish. No matter how it's prepared, I can still taste the underlying fish taste, but, I also hate the smell of fish so that's where the divergence is with coffee. I wish I could Jedi mind trick myself into liking fish, I'd probably be a lot healthier.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 02-24-2021, 11:38 AM   #20931
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The town I grew up in has a nestle coffee plant in it. whenever it was about to rain the whole town for some reason would smell like coffee.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 12:26 PM   #20932
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Oh man I wish that were true, I'd be able to eat fish finally! Same problem I have with coffee, I have with fish. No matter how it's prepared, I can still taste the underlying fish taste, but, I also hate the smell of fish so that's where the divergence is with coffee. I wish I could Jedi mind trick myself into liking fish, I'd probably be a lot healthier.

Fun Fact:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/e...ulently%20sold.
Old 02-24-2021, 01:43 PM   #20933
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:

Oh wow! And I think I heard fairly recently that the tuna fish at Subway wasn't really tuna fish. As long as my bacon is really bacon, I won't complain.

Old 02-24-2021, 02:18 PM   #20934
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
The town I grew up in has a nestle coffee plant in it. whenever it was about to rain the whole town for some reason would smell like coffee.

I grew up about 20 minutes south of a town with a quaker oats plant. I remember being down town in that city one night when they were making crunch berries. Oh man was that awesome.

Old 02-24-2021, 02:21 PM   #20935
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Cedar Rapids has a giant plant that always smells like cereal, per my wife from Iowa.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 05:24 PM   #20936
JediKooter
Coordinator

Lived in a tiny town in Wyoming called Afton, there was a town just north of there that had a cheese making plant and when the wind blew south, it smelled like puke.

Old 02-24-2021, 06:23 PM   #20937
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

I was thinking about the movie "Big".

I know one has to suspend disbelief but when Josh (Tom Hanks) grows up, he scares his mom who then thinks that grown up Josh kidnapped Josh.

Of course, at the end of the movie he returns home a kid.

I'm thinking if one actually went through such an event they would have such a person burned into memory.

So when Josh grew up, did her mother realize it was Josh?
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 06:26 PM   #20938
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Cedar Rapids has a giant plant that always smells like cereal, per my wife from Iowa.

SI

Bingo! I grew up in Coralville.

Old 02-24-2021, 07:21 PM   #20939
tarcone
Coordinator

Cedar Rapids official motto is City of 5 seasons, but everyone called it the city of 5 smells. The corn sweetener plant on the south side was brutal. Worst smell ever

Old 02-24-2021, 07:27 PM   #20940
molson
General Manager

The Nampa, Idaho sugar beets factory smells like dirty farts. You can smell it in your car on the highway. Not ideal.

Last edited by molson : 02-24-2021 at 07:28 PM.
Old 02-24-2021, 07:47 PM   #20941
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Gotta add all these places to my Smells of America tour.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 08:36 PM   #20942
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Worst smell ever

Anyone who ever lived near a paper mill called, said hold their beer.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:40 PM   #20943
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post

I know one has to suspend disbelief but when Josh (Tom Hanks) grows up, he scares his mom who then thinks that grown up Josh kidnapped Josh.

I'm thinking if one actually went through such an event they would have such a person burned into memory.

but she never saw him tho. Just heard him on the phone
Old 02-24-2021, 10:04 PM   #20944
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post

I just watched this movie in the last week, for the first time since I saw in the theater. That was kind of trippy. Because I'm an adult now.

There's lots of debate on the internet about whether Elizabeth Perkins had sex with boy Tom Hanks.

Whether Hanks' mother would remember him - there was a similar issue in Back to the Future, which Family Guy covered:

Family Guy best moments - Back to the future George McFly - YouTube

Last edited by molson : 02-24-2021 at 10:06 PM.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:05 PM   #20945
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
but she never saw him tho. Just heard him on the phone

Adult Tom Hanks did try to go home at first, and his mom freaked out and went after him with a knife.
Old 02-25-2021, 06:33 AM   #20946
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

OMG ain't this the truth.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 06:58 AM   #20947
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:

We lived about 30 miles away from a paper mill, but when the wind was just right...
Old 02-25-2021, 07:08 AM   #20948
Ksyrup

I still have nightmares of the smell from just driving through Cleveland TN on I-75.
Old 02-25-2021, 08:08 AM   #20949
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Old 02-25-2021, 08:10 AM   #20950
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

My wife grew up next to a farm that grew only cabbage to process into sauerkraut in the summer; she had no central air so they had to keep their windows open.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote