Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-17-2013, 09:47 PM   #801
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Regarding the Couch to 5K (C25K) Program, it's pretty well designed for the beginning runner to build endurance and minimize injury. so I wouldn't veer too off from the prescribed workouts, even if it seems easier for you. And make sure you do not run on those rest days.

As for the pain, it is said that you can outrun muscle soreness, but not joint pain.

Finally, I find that the Zombies, Run! 5K training app (ZR5K) is a better alternative to the traditional C25K program because it incorporates leg strengthening exercises into the workouts, and those really prepare your legs for the longer runs.

Good luck, and I'll be following!
Old 09-17-2013, 10:48 PM   #802
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Dola.

I wanted to add regarding C25K and pace. Because the program is designed to build endurance, your pace is less of a focus than completing running and walking times. When it asks you to run two minutes then walk one minute, go at a pace where you know you can complete that two minutes of running. If it means you need to slow down to a shuffle in order to complete the running segment, then do so.

As you progress through the program, your pace may remain slow, but once you're able to run longer distances, it will improve. For now, focus on completing the running intervals at a comfortable pace.

Last edited by AnalBumCover : 09-18-2013 at 06:27 PM.
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:48 AM   #803
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
Oh, to the guys who use both RunKeeper and Strava on your smartphones, do you run both apps during your activity or just one of them? Having just installed Stava today, are there any benefits to using it instead of RunKeeper during my activity?

There is no reason why you need to run both of them at once. You can just use the one that you like better for during your run and when you upload it to the website, there are then options to download the gpx file from that and then upload to the other site.

What some people do to save time and effort though is use other apps that will then upload to both sites at the same time (plus other sites if so desired). A very commonly recommended iphone app that many people like is called ismoothrun but that one costs a few dollars to buy though.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:36 AM   #804
Icy
Pro Starter

Pain in the knees/ankles is usual specially if you are overweight, today i extended my run to 12k (10k was my max until today) and was also feeling it towards the end, specially in the vertical tendon under the knee.

One thing that helps is to put ice on your knees just after the run, or at least to put the shower as cold as possible and keep it on your knees and ankles for a few minutes after every run.

Welcome! I was wondering who was the new guy adding me to Strava today

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:23 PM   #805
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Weight is definitely an issue and I'm working on that and primarily why I chose to lay off the running for the first 3 weeks or so of my life style change. And, Icy, yes, ice (or bag of frozen peas/beans) is my best friend for several ailing limbs after hockey.

ABC, I appreciate the advice on the training programs...might be worth re-visiting those.

Didn't go for a morning walk today but my knees seem to feel better today (I have to walk up and down a flight of stairs at the office every time I want to go to the washroom or get some water...so at least a dozen times a day...and my knees have felt fine going down, something that has been uncomfortable the last few days) so I think I'll go for one tonight despite temperatures in the 40's...yikes!
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:49 PM   #806
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

I just did a little digging into some numbers. The week of May 20-26 I ran 6 consecutive days, and on that 6th day recorded my first-ever sub-60 minute 10K. I lost 5.6 pounds during those six days, dropping from 225.1 to 219.5. It's therefore no shock that that week would be the one with my highest average heart rate since I bought a HRM in February. It was 153 that week.

So far this week, my average heart rate from my 3 inclined treadmill walks is 154. I'm definitely adjusting my goals to top that 153 mark and give two big, fat middle fingers to hernia surgery!
Old 09-18-2013, 04:34 PM   #807
Kodos
Resident Alien

Actually, those middle fingers aren't that fat anymore.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:59 PM   #808
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Old 09-18-2013, 05:50 PM   #809
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

LOL...my wedding ring has been sliding off of my finger way too easily the last week or so...it's making my wife nervous.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:49 PM   #810
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
LOL...my wedding ring has been sliding off of my finger way too easily the last week or so...it's making my wife nervous.

My wife is about to have a melt down the next time my ring slides off while I am doing chores around the house. Between that and the fact I have absolutely 0 khaki shorts that fit me, there are some down sides to losing weight I suppose

Old 09-19-2013, 07:48 AM   #811
Ben E Lou

At this point, this should come as a shock to no one, but it's worth noting that I'm fairly sure that incline treadmill work is going to be in the mix at least once a week for me long-term, at least until I get to the point where I have to run to elevate my heart rate enough to make it worth it.

Today's workout was fantastic. Watched much of the classic 80s movie "War Games" while I did 75 minutes mostly in the 155-160 heart rate range. Started out at 4.2mph/15% incline to get up into the 150s. Once there (in about 2 minutes,) I lowered the speed to 3.6mph. Dropped it by .1 mph every 5ish minutes to stay in the 155-160 range, then with 10 minutes to go started bringing the speed up. Ended workout at 4.4mph with heart rate at 178. (I think my max is 185.) Average heart rate for workout was 159. Feeling very encouraged.

Workout Profile | 75-Min Incline Treadmill. GoalHR=155-160. Actual HRAvg=159. | Times and Records | Strava
polarpersonaltrainer.com
Old 09-19-2013, 07:49 AM   #812
Ben E Lou

Dola:

My ring is currently in the top drawer to my desk. We're going to try to get it re-sized. It just slides right off at any moment these days.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:01 AM   #813
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
At this point, this should come as a shock to no one, but it's worth noting that I'm fairly sure that incline treadmill work is going to be in the mix at least once a week for me long-term, at least until I get to the point where I have to run to elevate my heart rate enough to make it worth it.

Today's workout was fantastic. Watched much of the classic 80s movie "War Games" while I did 75 minutes mostly in the 155-160 heart rate range. Started out at 4.2mph/15% incline to get up into the 150s. Once there (in about 2 minutes,) I lowered the speed to 3.6mph. Dropped it by .1 mph every 5ish minutes to stay in the 155-160 range, then with 10 minutes to go started bringing the speed up. Ended workout at 4.4mph with heart rate at 178. (I think my max is 185.) Average heart rate for workout was 159. Feeling very encouraged.

Workout Profile | 75-Min Incline Treadmill. GoalHR=155-160. Actual HRAvg=159. | Times and Records | Strava
polarpersonaltrainer.com

Hill workouts are an important part of many of the people's run training plans that I read and follow. In cases where there is very little elevation such as where you live, I've seen some of them will do incline workouts on the treadmill like you have been but with running instead of walking.

I know plenty of the people who train for ultra marathons that have a large amount of elevation climb but they live in the city do these type of incline treadmill runs all of the time.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:07 AM   #814
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I mentioned veloviewer before a few times before as a pretty neat third party Strava add-on site. They added something new last night that I thouht was pretty cool. A Strava trophy cabinet for Strava challenges that you take part in or complete

Old 09-19-2013, 09:13 AM   #815
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

My treadmill was delivered a couple days ago. It now sits in many parts on our living room floor, waiting for me to make room for it in the basement Will be quite the task to get it down the flight of stairs...

Having read all your experiments with inclines, I'm looking forward to do some incline running with it over the winter months...

As for the ring, mine makes myself nervous too now. Been loose for a while now. Had been at maintenance after hitting my goal weight of 168 lbs back in March, I have dropped some weight since but was kind stable at 165 until maybe three weeks ago when I started losing some more weight without really trying, so much so that I hit a number never seen before this morning, under 163 at 162.5. I weighed 203 a year ago (Sept. 13 2012) so this means I have now lost 40 lbs since I decided to become a better me.

FM
Old 09-19-2013, 11:04 AM   #816
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Congrats, Frogman...that's awesome!
Old 09-19-2013, 10:26 PM   #817
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Accidentally deleted my most recent run (tonight's). Sent an email to Strava to help restore it. Let's see how fast their service is.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:39 AM   #818
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Posted this on my facebook, but crossposting it here too. My 1 year anniversary of finishing C25K was actually earlier this week and I just didn't realize it.

Quote:
It has been one year since I finished couch to 5k, and my pace was so slow that even when I had finished it, I still was a little short of 5k (made it 2.6 miles out of the 3.1 in the time allowed). My running pace at the time was roughly 13:00 min/mile and I still got too winded and had to take quick walk breaks at times.

In the last year since then, I've run over 200 times for close to 1000 miles.

For anyone that thinks that running would be too tough, or they would be too slow or too old... If I could do it, so can anyone.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:52 PM   #819
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Posted this on my facebook, but crossposting it here too. My 1 year anniversary of finishing C25K was actually earlier this week and I just didn't realize it.

Happy Anniversary! So, a year ago today, did you ever imagine that you would be able to run a half marathon race within one year?

Last edited by AnalBumCover : 09-20-2013 at 12:52 PM.
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:57 PM   #820
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

A year ago I still was telling my wife i was only running to have something to Do with her and I preferred to bike and probably wouldn't run too much. I had told her that I would do a 5k race with her (was scheduled for beginning of November) so the c25k was only to prepare myself so I could run that race. Something happened during that race though that got me hooked and changed my outlook.

Old 09-20-2013, 01:35 PM   #821
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Nice stuff, Alan...congrats!

I'm probably in a similar mindset now than you were a year ago...I don't see myself running 1000 miles over the next year, but you never know.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:48 PM   #822
Subby
lolzcat

So cool. Very proud to be associated with this crew.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:47 PM   #823
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

That is very cool Alan. A year ago, give or take a week, I decided to change. September 13, 2012 is when I stepped on the scale at 203 lbs. Counting calories and making the proverbial lifestyle change, I would go on to lose 35+ lbs over the following 6 months to go on maintenance at 168 lbs by mid-March. I did my first walk-run on May 30th, 5 days after testing for my 3rd dan in karate and have been running at least 3 times a week ever since. I have now logged some 480 km or so since that first walk-run and yesterday, I weighed in at 162.5 lbs, my first time under 163 giving me a 40 lbs loss over that year, or 20% of my initial weight.

FM
Old 09-21-2013, 06:44 AM   #824
Ben E Lou

Quote:

Nice!
Old 09-21-2013, 11:28 AM   #825
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Alright, I joined Strava and the FOFC group. Now, to start running again as it's been a while. Love the social aspect of Strava as well as the record keeping.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:36 PM   #826
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

welcome aboard vex, saw this morning you started following me, will go and follow you as well, have fun!

FM
Old 09-21-2013, 05:06 PM   #827
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vex View Post
Alright, I joined Strava and the FOFC group. Now, to start running again as it's been a while. Love the social aspect of Strava as well as the record keeping.

Welcome! I have a feeling that Todd is going to have some competition for who can make the most box looking runs based on your map!

Old 09-21-2013, 05:30 PM   #828
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Welcome! I have a feeling that Todd is going to have some competition for who can make the most box looking runs based on your map!

I just looked and it all looked very familiar until I zoomed out. Looks like vex has a lake!

Welcome to the group, vex.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:14 PM   #829
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Ran my first 5k in some 25 years or so today. I was really nervous as I hadn't been able to run like I'd wanted to this last two weeks before the race.

I recorded personal bests (recording from the past two months) in the mile, 2 mile, and 5k today. My first sub 9 mile in probably 7 years...it's not blazing by any means but the fastest I've done in the past two months since I started running again.

I wasn't looking to hit a hard pace from the start but I realized at the mile that I was on pace for 27 minutes and I wasn't going to keep that up. I forced myself to slow down a bit and then a few hills helped with that as well.

Good time. I can't believe I did it. Surprisingly a little fatigued but happy.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:28 PM   #830
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I dedicated this run to my main man Brooks Russell. A 5 year old little boy that has successfully fought cancer. He still has some work to do, but this kid is my hero.

One of these days I will get to meet him.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cdy8Zv1379813046.jpg (898.3 KB, 52 views)
Old 09-21-2013, 08:54 PM   #831
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

That's awesome, very nice cause too!

FM
Old 09-21-2013, 09:34 PM   #832
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Congrats, Poli...well done!
Old 09-21-2013, 10:11 PM   #833
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Yeah, the country roads can be a little uninspiring at times. I got about .3 miles down the road when I got cornered by a Pitbull and an English Bulldog. "Oh, they won't bite" the people said. Sorry if I don't believe you.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:12 PM   #834
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
I just looked and it all looked very familiar until I zoomed out. Looks like vex has a lake!

Welcome to the group, vex.

Thanks!
Old 09-21-2013, 10:13 PM   #835
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
Ran my first 5k in some 25 years or so today. I was really nervous as I hadn't been able to run like I'd wanted to this last two weeks before the race.

I recorded personal bests (recording from the past two months) in the mile, 2 mile, and 5k today. My first sub 9 mile in probably 7 years...it's not blazing by any means but the fastest I've done in the past two months since I started running again.

I wasn't looking to hit a hard pace from the start but I realized at the mile that I was on pace for 27 minutes and I wasn't going to keep that up. I forced myself to slow down a bit and then a few hills helped with that as well.

Congrats on the run!
Old 09-22-2013, 06:52 AM   #836
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post

Great job!

Old 09-22-2013, 07:06 AM   #837
Ben E Lou

Good job, AE.

Well, I managed to do the 2-hour incline treadmill walk this morning. My goal was to average a 150 heart rate. I was averaging around 152 at the 90-minute mark and feeling great, so I took it up a notch, increasing speed by .1mph every 5 minutes. At 1:55 the heart rate was around 165, still manageble, so I decided to simulate a closing kick. Increased speed every 45 seconds until it was at 4.5mph and starting the blur the boundaries of "no running until 9/24 at the earliest." Closed out at 176. Averaged 156 for the workout and 156 for the week, my highest ever. Go figure.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:34 AM   #838
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Like I said, sophisticated robot sent from the future.

Last edited by johnnyshaka : 09-22-2013 at 08:35 AM.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:26 AM   #839
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

posted this on FB but here goes, look at what my wife framed for me, the bib I wore on my first (and for now only) race, that 10k back in August.

I love my wife, so supportive, I'm very blessed.

FM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1266677_10200503570733770_1902319517_o.jpg (273.0 KB, 45 views)
Old 09-22-2013, 09:47 PM   #840
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

That's awesome!
Old 09-22-2013, 10:33 PM   #841
AnalBumCover
College Starter

I've been wondering what I want to do with my bibs, medals and t-shirts. I saw on reddit that someone turned their medals into magnets. Pretty cool idea.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:57 PM   #842
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover View Post
I've been wondering what I want to do with my bibs, medals and t-shirts. I saw on reddit that someone turned their medals into magnets. Pretty cool idea.

Medals as magnets to hold up your bibs on the fridge...sweet!!
Old 09-23-2013, 12:11 AM   #843
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Pretty cool, FM
Old 09-23-2013, 10:21 AM   #844
AnalBumCover
College Starter

...that rare moment when I have more FitLeague points than Ben E Lou and FrogMan.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:24 AM   #845
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

yeah, it looks like it has stopped synching with Garmin Connect for some reason. My last activity is dated back September 12 yet I have run on September 15, 17, 18, 19, 21 and 2 since then

FM
Old 09-23-2013, 11:25 AM   #846
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

ahh, ok, it actually is synced to Runkeeper and Runkeeper has not been able to connect to Garmin lately...
Old 09-23-2013, 11:50 AM   #847
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
ahh, ok, it actually is synced to Runkeeper and Runkeeper has not been able to connect to Garmin lately...

How were you having runkeeper sync with Garmin? If you were using Garminsync then yeah they are working on a solution but it might be a while it sounded like. I switched over to using tapiriik instead, which has the added benefit of also syncing with endomodo for me automatically too.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:51 AM   #848
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
yeah, it looks like it has stopped synching with Garmin Connect for some reason. My last activity is dated back September 12 yet I have run on September 15, 17, 18, 19, 21 and 2 since then

FM
Aww shucks. I knew it was too good to be true.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:00 PM   #849
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
How were you having runkeeper sync with Garmin? If you were using Garminsync then yeah they are working on a solution but it might be a while it sounded like. I switched over to using tapiriik instead, which has the added benefit of also syncing with endomodo for me automatically too.

yeah, I was using garminsync. Will have to look into tapiriik, thanks!

FM
Old 09-23-2013, 05:01 PM   #850
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Ben, tomorrow is the big day right? When do we get to find out if you are cleared to start running again?