Old 01-18-2013, 02:28 PM   #2
Logan
Head Coach

Oh thank heavens.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:31 PM   #3
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Look, I know there is plenty of anger over the work stoppage. But in my own personal experience, there will be less fans lost from this than in 2004-05 or eevn 1994, simply because I think we were all so resigned to losing the season, that not losing it after all is kind of an unexpected bonus.

A friend of mine who is a big Ducks fan said the other night that he was mad right after the agreement at the lost time and that he wasn't going to watch, but that that lasted maybe a day before he started to get excited for it all to start. It was pretty much the same with me, except I think I didn't even get that mad.

Just want hockey to be back.

So I'm looking forward to tomorrow.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #4
bhlloy
Coordinator

It's ok CR that excited feeling won't last long. I have a feeling the Ducks are going to be pretty bad again this year
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:04 PM   #5
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
It's ok CR that excited feeling won't last long. I have a feeling the Ducks are going to be pretty bad again this year

WHAT DID YOU SAY!?!?

Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:07 PM   #6
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

It took me until last night when we drafted our tickets before I got excited. I'm still nowhere near as excited as I should be, but I've at least talked myself into the fact that I will enjoy some games this year.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:08 PM   #7
Logan
Head Coach

Yeah my interest hasn't dropped a fraction of a percentage because of the lockout. I'll be honest though and say that if the Rangers were more along the lines of the pre-first lockout team, I might feel different.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:32 PM   #8
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Our office's big puck head is psyched. His take on the whole thing is that he really likes watching hockey. He never felt any "betrayal" from the lockout because he says he never felt that the league really owed him anything or vice versa. He pays them ticket money and he gets to go watch hockey games. He missed it when it was gone; he's glad that it's back.

Seems like a pretty healthy attitude to have.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 01-18-2013 at 03:33 PM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:37 PM   #9
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I think they'll be in the middle. Remember, after that early season swoon, the Ducks were one of the best teams in the league in the second half of the season. They just dug themselves way too huge a hole to climb out of it.

I'm hoping with staff continuity and the team further used to the new systems (as well as Hiller further from his vertigo issues), that this team will be a competent performer. I expect them to contend for the 5-8 spot in the West.

IMO, there is also way too much offensive talent for those guys to all play so poorly again. I mean, all three of Perry, Getzlaf and Ryan finished with 60 points and under in 80+ games, and I just don't see that happening again.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:35 PM   #10
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
It took me until last night when we drafted our tickets before I got excited. I'm still nowhere near as excited as I should be, but I've at least talked myself into the fact that I will enjoy some games this year.

If you have any trouble finding someone to go to the 3/30 game against the 'Canes, let me know...
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:28 AM   #11
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Grigorenko made the team and looks to be the #3 C. Dont know if i am to be concerned or excited
Old 01-19-2013, 11:25 AM   #12
bbor
Pro Starter

So excited!

Like Pumpy with a toothbrush!

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:49 PM   #13
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
If you have any trouble finding someone to go to the 3/30 game against the 'Canes, let me know...

Hah, sorry, I don't have that game. I do have a game against the 'Canes in April, but to this point my wife has laid claim to the second ticket for all my (4) games.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 01-19-2013, 02:10 PM   #15
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
Grigorenko made the team and looks to be the #3 C. Dont know if i am to be concerned or excited

at least they are giving him a shot
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:43 PM   #16
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Hah, sorry, I don't have that game. I do have a game against the 'Canes in April, but to this point my wife has laid claim to the second ticket for all my (4) games.

Fair enough; enjoy the games! (Sorry about the SE division travel for the team...)
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:53 PM   #17
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

This Blues team is decent...
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:21 AM   #18
bhlloy
Coordinator

The Cory Schneider era lasted a whole 30 minutes. Cue hilarity and media losing their minds.

Also, Teemu Selanne is still absolutely timeless - 3rd all time in PPG and 18th all time in goals after today. A pair of 42 year olds lead the league in scoring after day 1.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:21 AM   #19
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
The Cory Schneider era lasted a whole 30 minutes. Cue hilarity and media losing their minds.

Also, Teemu Selanne is still absolutely timeless - 3rd all time in PPG and 18th all time in goals after today. A pair of 42 year olds lead the league in scoring after day 1.

Jagr won the scoring title in the last shortened season, why not do it again?
Old 01-20-2013, 08:41 AM   #20
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

If I told you that Cam Ward gave up four goals and got chased after only one period of play into the new season and that Carolina as a whole gave up three power play goals and didn't bag one of their own except in a kinda-sorta way on a delayed penalty, then you'd probably think that Carolina lost badly to Florida.

You'd be right.

On the other hand, Carolina did look very good for long stretches of play (granted after the scoreboard was long since lost and Theodore did solid work to keep Carolina out in spite of 42 shots, plus a boatload more that didn't count as one), but in a perennially recurring theme for this franchise, the defense doesn't look good and not sure if it'll get better any time soon.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:11 AM   #21
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 01-20-2013 at 11:11 AM.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:21 PM   #22
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Old 01-20-2013, 03:38 PM   #23
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Let's Go Flyers!!!!

how'd that work out?
Old 01-20-2013, 04:32 PM   #24
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
how'd that work out?

Did Laviolette use his timeout today? He didn't yesterday. That's his secret weapon!
Old 01-20-2013, 06:15 PM   #25
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Did Laviolette use his timeout today? He didn't yesterday. That's his secret weapon!

He did, and the Sabres scored right after
Old 01-20-2013, 08:44 PM   #26
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
He did, and the Sabres scored right after

He was given a ton of praise for "knowing when to use his timeout" in that ridiculous 1st round series last year. The Pens lead 3-0 and 3-1 in the first two games, what was he supposed to do?
Old 01-21-2013, 02:14 AM   #27
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

So, who do the Canucks start in nets for game number three?

Hemsky ties it late in the 3rd and then wins it in the shootout to complete the come from behind win...sweet.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:34 PM   #28
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

BLOW LEAFS BLOW

Let's go Buffalo!
Old 01-21-2013, 08:01 PM   #29
bbor
Pro Starter

Frackin Miller!

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #30
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

A W in the shootout!
Old 01-21-2013, 09:14 PM   #31
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 01-21-2013 at 09:15 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:39 AM   #32
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Thought somebody might enjoy this tune from The Dropkick Murphys, apparently the official song for the Boston Bruins video open this season but I found it lingering near the bottom of this week's Alternative chart (debuted at #45). I'll spoiler the video -- largely a montage of big hits and fights -- in order to try to avoid causing the thread to lag.

Spoiler

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-22-2013 at 08:40 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:07 AM   #33
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The Wings looked awful on Saturday night. They looked better last night, but it was against Columbus.

They lack any kind of scoring threat after the top line and their defense is not that impressive. It's hard to lose the best defenseman in his generation – even one in his early 40’s – and one of your other top 4 guys (Stuart) and only replace them with Carlo Colaiacovo, who, in a stunning turn of events, was injured last night and likely out for a while.

Also injured are Jonathan Ericsson and Jakub Kindl.

I believe the Wings starting six defensemen tonight are:

Kronwall - White
Smith - Quincey
Lashoff - Huskins (who they just signed about 10 minutes ago)

Kyle Quincey has been pretty horrible so far since coming over in that trade.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:45 AM   #34
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

so where does luongo end up?

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:48 AM   #35
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
so where does luongo end up?

In net for Vancouver. They'll eventually pull their collective head out of their collective arse and have him back in there.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:14 PM   #36
bhlloy
Coordinator

KHL has a pretty interesting concept they are introducing this year - a losers bracket for teams that don't make the playoffs, with a cash prize and potentially draft pick(s) at stake.

I'm sure the union would make this a non-starter but its a cool idea especially the part about draft picks. I don't know if if want the top 10 decides this way but maybe you make it later round compensatory picks up for grabs or maybe picks in future years. Give teams something to play for rather than shutting it down with 20 games to go.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:50 PM   #37
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
KHL has a pretty interesting concept they are introducing this year - a losers bracket for teams that don't make the playoffs, with a cash prize and potentially draft pick(s) at stake.

I'm sure the union would make this a non-starter but its a cool idea especially the part about draft picks. I don't know if if want the top 10 decides this way but maybe you make it later round compensatory picks up for grabs or maybe picks in future years. Give teams something to play for rather than shutting it down with 20 games to go.

I think that's awesome, I would love the NHL to move in that direction as well.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:27 PM   #38
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I have to say, the Sabres have looked more like a team and played more like a team in the past 2 games than they did all season.

And also, I don't think anyone will hit Miller without eating ice or leather all season, the team isn't taking it.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:33 PM   #39
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I have to say, the Sabres have looked more like a team and played more like a team in the past 2 games than they did all season.

And also, I don't think anyone will hit Miller without eating ice or leather all season, the team isn't taking it.

they did make a big deal of that on the broadcast last night..... i hope Tyler Myers bounces back big time.

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:19 PM   #40
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:

Truth be told...Miller was the team last night vs the Leafs.I thought the Leafs deserved the win but Miller was lights out against the Leafs...again.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:58 PM   #41
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
I think that's awesome, I would love the NHL to move in that direction as well.

Thinking about this some more, I think I'd do something like teams 24-30 play a 1 game play in, then do a 3 game series against teams 17-23 who get a bye. Winners of those series get a sandwich pick between round 1 and 2 or maybe 2 and 3 if that's too "valuable" for a losers bracket.

Reward teams for not tanking and continuing to play hard towards the end of the season, give everyone something to play for the first couple weeks of the playoffs and increase revenues for the owners. Only sticking point would be the union.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:41 PM   #42
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
Truth be told...Miller was the team last night vs the Leafs.I thought the Leafs deserved the win but Miller was lights out against the Leafs...again.

I will be at the game on the 29th, I look for Miller to keep it up..and I expect some more...anger...
Old 01-23-2013, 07:20 AM   #43
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I think the Blackhawks had like 12 odd man rushes.. goodness.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:34 PM   #44
bbor
Pro Starter

Good W by the Leafs tonight...JVR pays dividends tonight with a 3 point night.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:57 PM   #45
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
Good W by the Leafs tonight...JVR pays dividends tonight with a 3 point night.

That was just ugly to watch.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #46
Logan
Head Coach

Meant to comment last night but couldn't get around to it...it was great to see the Rangers finally play with the hustle and intensity that they rode last season. Granted, they ran out of steam late in the game, and took too many penalties in the 2nd which let Boston back into it. But Gaborik-Richards-Nash look awesome together, and I'm really impressed with how Nash plays. He's just a monster on the puck and his skating ability at that size is pretty crazy finally seeing it for an extended period.

The problem, exacerbated in a season like this, is that the bottom of the roster is horrendous. Pyatt has been impressive so far but that's about it. You knew coming in Torts wasn't going to play much of the Rupp-Halpern-Asham/whoever line, but we're not even playing the 3rd liners enough. The wear and tear is going to be insane. Chris Kreider looks destined for a demotion to break out of his funk, and the bottom two d-men aren't earning enough time that will help balance out the reliance on the top guys.

The Nash trade was obviously worth it, and god damn did these guys have their own limitations, but we already miss the depth provided by Dubinsky, Anisimov, and of course Prust. No way we could afford to match the deal Montreal gave him, but if other guys further down the roster don't step up some, this team won't be able to accomplish its goal.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:23 AM   #47
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Sabres @ Hurricanes tonight...should be a good game. Enroth will more than likely get the start at Goalie..

Then we flip and have Carolina @ Sabres tomorrow..
Old 01-24-2013, 07:25 PM   #48
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/ey...gn-with-flyers
Old 01-24-2013, 10:57 PM   #49
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Is it too early to start Caps draft talk?
Old 01-25-2013, 04:40 AM   #50
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Is it too early to start Caps draft talk?

Clear solution is more Tyler Sloan.