Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-30-2009, 12:22 PM   #1
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Leach Fired!

This whole topic deserves its own thread, and frankly, wasn't really being mentioned in too many others, which surprises me. Where have our standards gone, FOFC?

Just thought I would start a thread for all comments/stories/etc. re: this story, which, IMO, is even bigger than the Mangino story.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 12-30-2009 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Changed thread title from '?' to '!'
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:23 PM   #2
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Oh, yeah, and as to the thread title, apparently it's being reported that Mike Leach has been fired.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:24 PM   #3
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Not surprising, they would have had to pay him 800K if he was the coach tommorrow.

I ahve a feeling with the doctor's note that the dark area would be best for him, they just stepped in the cow patties.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:32 PM   #4
cougarfreak
College Starter

Was there any confimation that he did do anything?
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:34 PM   #5
gstelmack
Pro Starter

What was fun was watching ESPN run this all the time over the last two days, and the only time they ever mentioned "son of ESPN Analyst Craig James" was on the ESPNNewsHD sidebar version of the story.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:34 PM   #6
miked
College Starter

Seems like a ploy to get out of paying him the bonus...especially considering the timing. Also, I heard they just wanted an apology out of him and he wouldn't do it. Seems odd to fire somebody when you would've been happy with an apology just a week earlier.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:36 PM   #7
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
Was there any confimation that he did do anything?

From what I can tell, no one's really denying he put the kid in a shed. It also seems to be more or less confirmed the kid had a concussion.

Everything else lies within the lines of what a coach is able to do a kid on a football team, what is acceptable and what is not.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:37 PM   #8
MacroGuru
Coordinator

The story has changed some many times from closet, to shed, to room that I honestly think there is something to it, but because of who the players father is it is being made a bigger story than it should be.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:43 PM   #9
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Seems like a ploy to get out of paying him the bonus...especially considering the timing. Also, I heard they just wanted an apology out of him and he wouldn't do it. Seems odd to fire somebody when you would've been happy with an apology just a week earlier.

My understanding is, that's what the James wanted. They sent him letters asking him to agree to not do it again, and to apologize. It was when he didn't respond/agree that they went public.

Considering one could be seen as usurping Leach's authority as coach and the other could be used as an admission of culpability in a civil trial, I can't say I am surprised Leach didn't agree to either request.

I think TTech was prepared to pay their successful coach any money he deserved. No indications they were trying to get rid of Leach (unlike Kansas with Mangino). It was only with these allegations that they caused them to question, and so then the immediate issue of the bonus money soon forthcoming would be an understandably big thing for the university.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:44 PM   #10
timmynausea
College Starter

timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:45 PM   #11
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
From what I can tell, no one's really denying he put the kid in a shed. It also seems to be more or less confirmed the kid had a concussion.

Everything else lies within the lines of what a coach is able to do a kid on a football team, what is acceptable and what is not.

I just saw a video on on it, collegefootballtalk.com/ has a video of the garage and room James was put in. Evidently he was sent there because he had on sunglasses (which aren't allowed at practice), and complained of concussion symptoms. So coach basically removed him from practice, and kept 3 trainers with him to make sure he didn't have any serious symptoms. What a fucking pussy.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:54 PM   #12
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I just saw a video on on it, collegefootballtalk.com/ has a video of the garage and room James was put in. Evidently he was sent there because he had on sunglasses (which aren't allowed at practice), and complained of concussion symptoms. So coach basically removed him from practice, and kept 3 trainers with him to make sure he didn't have any serious symptoms. What a fucking pussy.

That's what we're kicking around here at work. What could he have done that was fireable?

We came to the conclusion that it was a situation of something like "kid came to practice, complaining about concussion and he's been milking the injury so his 'practice' for the day was to go clean out the equipment shed since he couldn't be on the field"

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 12-30-2009 at 01:01 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:58 PM   #13
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Every report I heard on ESPN and ESPNews mentioned the player was the son of ESPN analyst Craig James

Also, TTEch has to pay Leach $400K for every year left on his contract if they fire him, so this isn't a money-saving scheme.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:02 PM   #14
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Every report I heard on ESPN and ESPNews mentioned the player was the son of ESPN analyst Craig James

Also, TTEch has to pay Leach $400K for every year left on his contract if they fire him, so this isn't a money-saving scheme.

I doubt they have to pay him anything if he was fired for cause...that will definitely be an interesting thing to find out.

But Leach's lawyer came out this morning and even said he expected the firing to happen today due to the bonus.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:03 PM   #15
digamma
Torchbearer

They fired him with cause, meaning they believe he breached his contract. Thus, no future contract payments.

The $800,000 payment is another matter. Leach would have a strong argument that this is due regardless (the argument is that you can't fire someone the day before a bonus is due to avoid paying the bonus--there has to be an immediate bad act or something to trigger the firing). I also understand there is a separate contract argument that Leach had time to cure a breach under the contract following notification of the breach.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:03 PM   #16
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:

Well the timing of it saves money ($800k if he coached tomorrow). Also, it's significantly cheaper than if they had paid him his contract--the new coach probably will make an amount where $400k per year will be a savings.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:04 PM   #17
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Yeah, they have *no* vested interest in blowing this out of proportion

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 12-30-2009 at 01:06 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:07 PM   #18
timmynausea
College Starter

The whole thing is a little weird, but it hardly seems fire-able. Can you imagine if this Athletic Department had to deal with a loose cannon Coach like Bob Knight? Oh, wait...
Old 12-30-2009, 01:23 PM   #19
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
That's what we're kicking around here at work. What could he have done that was fireable?

Got his attorney to seek a restraining order to allow him to coach the bowl game?
Old 12-30-2009, 01:25 PM   #20
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

here's the thing. The AD had gone through a contentious resigning of Leach during the off season, where Leach held them to ransom, etcetera. Leach was untouchable due to the heights he had taken the program.

This pissed off the AD, but by not resigning Leach he was basically cutting his own throat, so he just filed this away in the "Awaiting payback" section.

Texas Tech didn't have as great of a year, and suddenly, this pretext came up where he could deliver payback where he wouldn't be risking his own neck to fire him. Payback delivered.

Here's the story from earlier in the year:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3906227

Basically, Leach saw this coming. I'm shocked he signed the deal, this AD is beginning to look more and more like a vindictive asshole.

Last edited by SirFozzie : 12-30-2009 at 01:27 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:27 PM   #21
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Leach was fired because the AD hates him. They have had numerous run ins in the past, he was just looking for a reason.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:32 PM   #22
digamma
Torchbearer

Fozzie, Texas Tech pretty much outperformed expectations this year. They weren't really in anyone's top five due to the loss of a lot of talent from last year's team. Many people would call it his best coaching job. On field performance has absolutely 0 to do with this.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:32 PM   #23
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Fozzie, Texas Tech pretty much outperformed expectations this year. They weren't really in anyone's top five due to the loss of a lot of talent from last year's team. Many people would call it his best coaching job. On field performance has absolutely 0 to do with this.

To the alumni, he didn't get them as far as last year, therefore he's not as indispensable.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:39 PM   #24
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
To the alumni, he didn't get them as far as last year, therefore he's not as indispensable.

I'll repeat...on field performance had nothing to do with this.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:42 PM   #25
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:

My limited contact with Tech alumni show that they are up in arms about this. One guy had on his facebook "Fire Gerald Myers" and "I am very disappointed in my school". Apparently when the attorney announced that Leach had been fired at the courthouse, one guy in the gathering crowd said "Who is going to buy tickets anymore?" I think it's fair to say that the alumni do not think he is indispensable. In fact, I think there is going to be some backlash at a program that struggles to sell-out the stadium on a regular basis.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:13 PM   #26
RainMaker
General Manager

Most alumni only care about winning. Leach could be found raping babies everyday in his office and it's not a fireable offense if he can get them to a BCS game every other year.

My guess is the story is somewhere in the middle of the two versions. I'm guessing James wasn't a great team guy and I'm sure Leach tried to "teach him a lesson". My guess is he wore the sunglasses, Coach Leach got mad and said "if you want darkness, I'll show you darkness". Made the kid spend a practice or two in a garage that was that.

I think the guy probably deserves to be fired as this doesn't look as innocent as they are trying to make it out to be. On the other hand, this shit probably goes on all the time at schools. Leach's biggest mistake was not going 11-1 this year.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:29 PM   #27
TexasT
Mascot

Quote:

+1
TexasT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:42 PM   #28
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

If James didn't have a concussion, it most certainly will after the next practice. Keep your head on a swivel, kid.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:44 PM   #29
rowech
Pro Starter

I just love Craig James...as if this dude's some innocent guy. Taking money when he went to SMU, going to the USFL for the $, and then constantly dropping that he was the last white RB in the NFL to rush for 1000 yards. He's always been an arrogant fill in the blank. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if there was illegal recruiting at Tech and James said fire him or I blow the whistle. Cracks me up he even has a job in college sports.

Like someone said, the story is somewhere in between and now that Leach doesn't have to worry about saving his job, I look forward to what he has to say.

Last edited by rowech : 12-30-2009 at 03:44 PM.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:58 PM   #30
RainMaker
General Manager

It is amazing how the NCAA doesn't have a problem with one of the announcers being someone who took money in college during one of the biggest college sports scandals of all time. I know the NCAA doesn't care about cheating anymore (unless you're a small school), but at least give some impression to the public.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:04 PM   #31
Atocep
Coordinator

To be fair, Craig James' name was never mentioned in the investigation at SMU and he was never accused of taking money while there.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:21 PM   #32
RainMaker
General Manager

In the reports that came out, wasn't it noted that almost everyone took payments? They didn't name everyone personally but I was under the impression that evidence showed that almost everyone was getting some form of payment.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:22 PM   #33
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
In the reports that came out, wasn't it noted that almost everyone took payments? They didn't name everyone personally but I was under the impression that evidence showed that almost everyone was getting some form of payment.

James has always been considered one of the few clean players from that team and there's never been any proof or someone stepping forward to say otherwise.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:43 PM   #34
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Yeah, they have *no* vested interest in blowing this out of proportion

SI

Seems like it could very well bite them in the ass if it turns out that he was pushing his kid's exaggeration or was using a personal grudge over him not playing to get the guy fired.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:48 PM   #35
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Seems like it could very well bite them in the ass if it turns out that he was pushing his kid's exaggeration or was using a personal grudge over him not playing to get the guy fired.

What's the worst that happens (to the network)? They fire James & play the victim of being hoodwinked by someone they trusted. The world will largely shrug in that scenario.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:25 PM   #36
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I think TTech was prepared to pay their successful coach any money he deserved. No indications they were trying to get rid of Leach (unlike Kansas with Mangino). It was only with these allegations that they caused them to question, and so then the immediate issue of the bonus money soon forthcoming would be an understandably big thing for the university.
As Fozzie linked to, the AD has been trying to get rid of him since at least last offseason. What a bunch of pussies in the Big 12.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:07 PM   #37
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:

The night this broke, I saw several mentions on ESPNNews with no info (at first they weren't even identifying the player). Later that night the scrolling ticker did not mention the connection. It was only when the sidebar story on the HD channel came up with more details that it mentioned Craig James.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:18 PM   #38
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

An honest question. If you're okay with a coach doing this, would you also support other university employees doing the same thing? Would this be acceptable behavior for an English professor?
Old 12-30-2009, 07:21 PM   #39
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
An honest question. If you're okay with a coach doing this, would you also support other university employees doing the same thing? Would this be acceptable behavior for an English professor?

Let's see an English professor who gets judged on what English Bowl the school gets invited to, and also one where English majors regularly show up with concussion symptoms.

I think the doctor's note pretty much puts Leach in the clear.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:22 PM   #40
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:

Classroom behavior and punishments is a whole, and I mean a WHOLE different world. I did both for 18 years........and it is. Not even close. I wouldn't make a kid run wind sprints for being late to class, but I might a student athlete for the same thing. The other thing people forget is, football is an extracurricular activity. It's voluntary. That doesn't mean a kid can be abused, but from the above video, it seems that is far from the case. This seems like nothing more than a spoiled brat with a high profile daddy bitching and kicking.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:25 PM   #41
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That doesn't mean a kid can be abused, but from the above video, it seems that is far from the case. This seems like nothing more than a spoiled brat with a high profile daddy bitching and kicking.

This has become increasingly my perception as well. And I was initially inclined to figure Leach might be stupid/batshit crazy enough to be trying some sort of weird ass darkness therapy or simply thinking he could get away with some abusive punishment. But the more that slowly comes out, the more it looks to me like he wasn't doing anything particularly bothersome.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:28 PM   #42
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:

It seems about the same as saying "go sit in the hall" to me. Except they were outdoors in December, so they sent him to a nearby shelter with trainers.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:28 PM   #43
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I think the doctor's note pretty much puts Leach in the clear.

What doctor's note? (if it was in the YouTube video, I've been having issues getting YouTube to load)

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:34 PM   #44
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
What doctor's note? (if it was in the YouTube video, I've been having issues getting YouTube to load)

/tk

Tech suspends Leach after complaint | FROM STAFF REPORTS

[Ted] Liggett said it’s “ridiculous” to characterize the building adjacent to the team’s practice fields as a “shed” or an “electrical closet.”

“Because of the fact that he had a concussion and he was extremely limited in the physical activity he could undergo, Mike felt like that was the best place for him and still be close to and part of the team,” Liggett said.

Liggett said while James was secluded on two occasions, he was not treated inappropriately and had a doctor’s statement attesting to that.

“There’s much, much more than meets the eye,” Liggett said. “The diagnosing doctor has signed a note stating that Adam James was in no way injured by the actions coach Leach took. In fact, he was better off in the building than he would have been outside.”
Old 12-30-2009, 07:55 PM   #45
Galaxy
Coordinator

I know Tech fans/alumni are saying that Adam was a borderline Division 1 player (nevermind the Big 12) and the only reason he got to Tech was due to his name/daddy. Any truth to that?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:57 PM   #46
Galaxy
Coordinator

Dola...

I like how ESPN pull James from broadcasting Saturday's Alamo Bowl.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:57 PM   #47
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks for posting, Foz.

Still sounds like either a) the whole story hasn't come out or b) the AD was getting his much-desired revenge (as Fozzie pointed out).

But I still think he looks creepy and am most looking forward to this being resolved so that they don't keep showing him on ESPN.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:44 PM   #48
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

This is AD driven, pure and simple.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:54 PM   #49
miami_fan
Coordinator

I will ask the obvious question. Is this standard operating procedure for dealing with concussions on the football field? I know things will be specifically different at different schools but why wouldn't he go to a medical facility and be monitored? Why the equipment room/shed/ I have not followed this story very closely so if it has been reported just point me in the right direction. This is especially in light of the increased sensitivity to head injuries today.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:11 PM   #50
RainMaker
General Manager

The AD could also be looking out for the program. Do you guys realize how much this will be used by other schools in recruiting? The story was probably overblown but it's still insane how they treated the kid with a concussion. If the doctor prescribed treatment for dealing with concussions is locking someone in a garage in the dark, then he should keep his job. Seems to me he was pissed off at the kid and wanted to punish him.

Anyway, maybe Tech hires a coach who isn't a pussy with scheduling.

Last edited by RainMaker : 12-30-2009 at 09:13 PM.