Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Civ 5 comes out Sep 21!
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:04 PM   #3
Passacaglia
Coordinator

sweet sweet sweet

Does anyone know where if the system requirements are available yet?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:57 PM   #4
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Civ5 video from E3

E3 2010: Civilization V - Making Civ Documentary
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:00 PM   #5
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

All I can say is, when Civ V comes out, whoever makes the thread needs to call it:

Thanks For Killing Any Chance Of Decent Sleep, FOFC! (thread about Civ V)

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:17 PM   #6
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post

I just pre-ordered this off Steam earlier this evening.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:23 AM   #7
molson
General Manager

Great video Atocep.

I love that they hired a modder who was critical of the CIV series to run CIV V. My fear with this franchise is always that it's going to be dumbed down, but it seems I have nothing to worry about in that regard.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:51 AM   #8
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

awesome
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:43 PM   #9
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Hands-on preview at Gamespot.

Sid Meier's Civilization V Hands-On - Exploration, Wonders, Culture, and Conquest - PC Previews at GameSpot

(splitting this thread off)
Old 08-06-2010, 09:52 PM   #10
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Just in case anyone didn't see

Old 08-06-2010, 10:19 PM   #11
molson
General Manager

Everything looks very promising. I remember when CIV IV came out, one of the early issues was game length (too short). I think marathon speed was added in a patch or expansion, and though I've read that there were some balance issues with that speed, it was the only one I played and I loved it.

Here again - it looks like some are concerned about a smaller tech tree, smaller maps....I understand the concern with trying to sell a ton of copies of a game that takes hours to play, but I'm just wondering if I'll have to wait until this thing is heavily modded.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:43 PM   #12
RainMaker
General Manager

Hoping the same thing molson. It seems they are going the direction of making it easier for casual gamers. Definitely understand that from a business perspective, but the complexity of the game is what was so appealing to me.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:02 AM   #13
SackAttack
Head Coach

Waaaaant. Hope to god my PC can run it, or I will...I will...cry, probably. It will be visible from space.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:08 AM   #14
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Civ killed my first attempt at college. I can't pick up Civ 5, even though it will be painful trying to avoid it. Can't have it interfere with my comeback.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 01:20 AM   #15
Scarecrow
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Waaaaant. Hope to god my PC can run it, or I will...I will...cry, probably. It will be visible from space.

August 5, 2010
Civilization V System Requirements
Many of you have been asking for this for a while now, and so I am happy to finally present to you the official system requirements for Civilization V:
Minimum System Requirements
Operating System: Windows® XP SP3/ Windows® Vista SP2/ Windows® 7
Processor: Dual Core CPU
Memory: 2GB RAM
Hard Disk Space: 8 GB Free
DVD-ROM Drive: Required for disc-based installation
Video: 256 MB ATI HD2600 XT or better, 256 MB nVidia 7900 GS or better, or Core i3 or better integrated graphics
Sound: DirectX 9.0c-compatible sound card
DirectX®: DirectX® version 9.0c
Recommended System Requirements
Operating System: Windows® Vista SP2/ Windows® 7
Processor: 1.8 GHz Quad Core CPU
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Video: 512 MB ATI 4800 series or better, 512 MB nVidia 9800 series or better
DirectX®: DirectX® version 11
Other Requirements: Initial installation requires one-time Internet connection for Steam authentication; software installations required (included with the game) include Steam Client, Microsoft Visual C++2008 Runtime Libraries and Microsoft DirectX.
Internet Connection and acceptance of Steam™ Subscriber Agreement required for activation. See www.steampowered.com/agreement for details
Software license terms available in game manual and at www.take2games.com/eula. Non-transferable access to special features such as exclusive, unlockable, downloadable or online content, services or functions may require single-use serial code, additional fee and/or online account registration (13+). Access to special features may require internet connection, may not be available to all users, and may, upon 30 days notice, be terminated, modified or offered under different terms.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:12 AM   #16
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post

August 5, 2010
Civilization V System Requirements
Many of you have been asking for this for a while now, and so I am happy to finally present to you the official system requirements for Civilization V:
Minimum System Requirements
Operating System: Windows® XP SP3/ Windows® Vista SP2/ Windows® 7
Processor: Dual Core CPU
Memory: 2GB RAM
Video: 256 MB ATI HD2600 XT or better, 256 MB nVidia 7900 GS or better, or Core i3 or better integrated graphics
DirectX®: DirectX® version 9.0c
Recommended System Requirements
Operating System: Windows® Vista SP2/ Windows® 7
Processor: 1.8 GHz Quad Core CPU
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Video: 512 MB ATI 4800 series or better, 512 MB nVidia 9800 series or better
DirectX®: DirectX® version 11
Other Requirements: Initial installation requires one-time Internet connection for Steam authentication; software installations required (included with the game) include Steam Client, Microsoft Visual C++2008 Runtime Libraries and Microsoft DirectX.
Internet Connection and acceptance of Steam™ Subscriber Agreement required for activation. See www.steampowered.com/agreement for details
Software license terms available in game manual and at www.take2games.com/eula. Non-transferable access to special features such as exclusive, unlockable, downloadable or online content, services or functions may require single-use serial code, additional fee and/or online account registration (13+). Access to special features may require internet connection, may not be available to all users, and may, upon 30 days notice, be terminated, modified or offered under different terms.

As far as the minimums go, I'm not certain whether my CPU is a Dual Core or not.

I know the chipset that was originally in there had only a single core, but my brother performed some upgrades to my computer before he joined the Marines, and I don't know if he touched the processor or if it was straight RAM and video card upgrades.

I dunno whether a 7600 GT is better than or worse than a 7900 GS. Other than Civ, I mostly play text sims on the PC, you see. My "graphical" gaming is predominantly consoles. A glance at wikipedia implies that the 7600 GT is inferior to the 7900 GS, but I have spoken with individuals who don't really think much of the GS line, so I dunno.

I've got 3 GB RAM, so I exceed the minimum.

It does sound as if I need to prepare for anguish visible from space, however.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:30 AM   #17
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Excellent preview of the game from Kotaku:

400 Turns Of Civilization V

I really love some of the new features, such as cities expanding their "control areas" intelligently to grab resources, than simply in a basic pattern like it has been up till now.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob

Last edited by Peregrine : 08-07-2010 at 06:33 AM.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:58 AM   #18
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Excellent preview of the game from Kotaku:

400 Turns Of Civilization V

I really love some of the new features, such as cities expanding their "control areas" intelligently to grab resources, than simply in a basic pattern like it has been up till now.

That is one of my favorite new features as well. I can't wait for this game.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:53 PM   #19
Jughead Spock
High School Varsity

It is entirely coincidence that my new work laptop happens to meet the recommended specs.
Jughead Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 02:17 PM   #20
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Here is an awesome post from someone over at Fark about the game:

Quote:
I've had a serious heart-to-heart with my computer about this game. I think we understand each other. I said, "Computer, I love you. I really do. But you need to understand that when I install this game, certain things cannot happen anymore. Like your cheating for instance. I swear to you that next time I attack an axeman with a tank, and the axe man wins, I'm going to throw you outside and run you over. And if I'm building a wonder, and I've spent 100 turns getting it built, and it's turn 99 and I'm about to have it and then those goddamn Egyptians just happen to build it THE EXACT TURN BEFORE I DO, you need to know that I WILL CUT YOU. Your cord, I mean. And I farking swear to god that if that Montezuma bastard ends up starting right next to me again LIKE HE DOES EVERY GODDAMN TIME I will set you on FIRE. YOU GOT ME? AND WHY DO I KEEP GETTING GOLD OUT OF THOSE HUTS???? I DON'T WANT FARKING GOLD I WANT A SCIENTIFIC ADVANCE. GIVE ME SCIENCE YOU FARKING MACHINE. AND HOW THE HELL HAVE THEY DISCOVERED FLIGHT WHILE I'M STILL TRYING TO BUILD A MARKET? GODDAMNIT I HATE YOU I HATE THIS GAME FARKING MACHINE JESUS CHRIST. OK 1 more turn.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:25 PM   #21
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

The tank losing to ancient unit was fixed in Civ IV by allowing the AI to upgrade their units so cheaply that you never fought that kind of battle. And even Civ II didn't have much of that with the hit points and firepower system, to me it's only a legitimate complaint about the first game.

To me Civ V doesn't seem like it's going to be dumbed down. It looks like combat will require more thought than the previous game where you just built a bunch of units and put them in a massive stack. And city-states could add a lot to the game.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:32 PM   #22
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
The tank losing to ancient unit was fixed in Civ IV by allowing the AI to upgrade their units so cheaply that you never fought that kind of battle. And even Civ II didn't have much of that with the hit points and firepower system, to me it's only a legitimate complaint about the first game.

To me Civ V doesn't seem like it's going to be dumbed down. It looks like combat will require more thought than the previous game where you just built a bunch of units and put them in a massive stack. And city-states could add a lot to the game.

I still run across it from time to time. Hell, I love when my tanks get taken down by knights. It's just too amusing to piss me off the way, like, a warrior taking the tank down does.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:21 PM   #23
molson
General Manager

If you think of "units" as groups of individual units, that spearman v. Tank issue has never been that bad.

One Axeman probably can't take out one Tank, but a full-strength group of experienced axeman with a terrain advantage v. heavily damaged Tanks? Why the hell not. They could figure something out.

Last edited by molson : 08-07-2010 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:52 PM   #24
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

So who else has this pre-ordered besides me?
Old 08-07-2010, 10:06 PM   #25
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I need to review the pre-order bonuses from the different online distribution sites. Or if it's possible to get some nice bonuses with a boxed version.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:21 AM   #26
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
If you think of "units" as groups of individual units, that spearman v. Tank issue has never been that bad.

One Axeman probably can't take out one Tank, but a full-strength group of experienced axeman with a terrain advantage v. heavily damaged Tanks? Why the hell not. They could figure something out.

I could see that, but it always seems to be full-health tanks that I lose.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:09 AM   #27
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

I've been rediscovering Civ IV. It's a very good game, IMO. The new game looks more evolutionary than revolutionary, so I probably won't be a day one adopter. I'm sure I'll get it eventually.
Honolulu Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:05 AM   #28
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post
So who else has this pre-ordered besides me?

Me. I can't wait. I'm more excited about this than Dragon Age 2, which is saying something.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:55 PM   #29
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Has anyone shopped around for the cheapest desktops and notebooks that comfortably meet the specs for the game? I'll have to make the plunge for this game. This is the only game franchise that I'll always purchase a new computer for when it comes out.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:47 PM   #30
SackAttack
Head Coach

The problem is I think the only thing we carry that I can use my employee discount on to address my shortcomings are video cards. I don't think we carry processors. Heck, I'm not sure who in Green Bay does. I might have to drive down to Fry's in Chicago.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:58 PM   #31
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
The problem is I think the only thing we carry that I can use my employee discount on to address my shortcomings are video cards. I don't think we carry processors. Heck, I'm not sure who in Green Bay does. I might have to drive down to Fry's in Chicago.

I think Micro Center had better prices than Fry's in Chicago when I was looking at processors. When I gave up trying to build a computer and bought a Dell instead, I got a good deal on that, too.

EDIT: Here's what I got there -- I didn't know the Civ requirements at the time, but I figured I would be good.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0337324

Last edited by Passacaglia : 08-08-2010 at 02:00 PM.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:23 AM   #32
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Anyone else see the resemblance of the leader of Siam (Ramkhamhaeng) to Hank Azaria?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2009_night_at_the_museum_battle_of_the_smithsonian_027.jpg (418.0 KB, 425 views)
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:24 AM   #33
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Wow sorry for the size of the picture......
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:16 PM   #34
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

If anyone needs some encouragement to pre-order, Direct2Drive has a special on the site for $10.00 off all games $49.99 or more. This is usable to preorder Civ V if you want.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:27 PM   #35
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Roma - Did you read the caption on the picture???
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:13 PM   #36
Galaril
Pro Starter

Here is a very nice AAR with video previews. This has definitely upped my interesting in buying on day 1 next Tuesday.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/arti...Civilization-V

Last edited by Galaril : 09-13-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:32 PM   #37
Butter
Coordinator

Uh, did I miss something, or did my work block it?
Old 09-13-2010, 03:34 PM   #38
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I just checked, and it is pre-loading on Steam. Might be a late night next week
Old 09-13-2010, 03:46 PM   #39
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Uh, did I miss something, or did my work block it?

Good catch I forgot the link
Old 09-13-2010, 03:49 PM   #40
Galaril
Pro Starter

I read they got rid of corruption (gone since version 3), religion, pollution, civil unrest and am glad. Those were all "unfun" parts of the game. If I won't to play a game that feels like I am managing supply lines ugh of Germany during WW 2 I can go play HOI so I have no problems with dumbing Civ down a bit.

Last edited by Galaril : 09-13-2010 at 03:49 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:01 PM   #41
ColtCrazy
College Starter

My birthday is the 20th, but I'm celebrating late. I plan on taking a day off late next week just to get sucked into the game for an entire day.

I still play Civ IV and only Madden and FM come close as far as replayability for me. I can play Civ for hours.

Really looking forward to this one.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:46 PM   #42
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

how the ai
Old 09-13-2010, 04:49 PM   #43
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
how the ai

If you attack one city, next time attack two.
If you discover two world wonder, discover four
If axeman beat your F-15, maybe this not the game for you
Old 09-13-2010, 04:55 PM   #44
Schmidty
Coordinator

I'm getting really excited and restless for this.

I tried to play Half Life 2 to keep me busy in the mean time, but I won't pick up the can for that fucker, so I can't get past the beginning. Maybe I'll finish playing the Witcher or something.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:57 PM   #45
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
I'm getting really excited and restless for this.

I tried to play Half Life 2 to keep me busy in the mean time, but I won't pick up the can for that fucker, so I can't get past the beginning. Maybe I'll finish playing the Witcher or something.

I loved the begining of that game. It made the sweet, hot justice you served on those assholes so much more gratifying.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:58 PM   #46
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
I tried to play Half Life 2 to keep me busy in the mean time, but I won't pick up the can for that fucker, so I can't get past the beginning.

You can unlock an achievement if you throw it at him.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:00 PM   #47
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
I read they got rid of corruption (gone since version 3), religion, pollution, civil unrest and am glad. Those were all "unfun" parts of the game. If I won't to play a game that feels like I am managing supply lines ugh of Germany during WW 2 I can go play HOI so I have no problems with dumbing Civ down a bit.

Religion in the game was kind of dumbed down to begin with. It was really just a vehicle to deal with early game cultural expansion.

Corruption hasn't been in the game recently, but cities further from the capital still have had increased maintenance costs unless you have a courthouse there (which now reduces those costs instead of reducing corruption), so the effect is still generally the same.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:38 PM   #48
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
You can unlock an achievement if you throw it at him.

Yeah, I finally buckled and did it.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:13 AM   #49
saldana
Pro Starter

shit...is the release still the 21st...i am gonna have to wait a couple weeks til the next paycheck comes in...car payment due on 26th + rent due on the 30th = no spending money til first week of october
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:21 PM   #50
Calis
College Starter

Definitely my most anticipated game in a long time. My wife is due to have our first baby this week, so I might not be a day one purchaser but the first chance I have I will be getting it.

I've recently been playing a lot of Civ4 again. The mod scene is just fantastic. I can play the base game, mix it up with Rhye's, Fall from Heaven, Dune, Romance of the Three Kingdom's...basically whatever you're in the mood for.

The bar is set very high, but I like what I'm seeing so far.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote