Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOF9, FOF8, and TCY Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: The version I enjoyed the most was...
FOF1 1 0.80%
FOF2 9 7.20%
FOF2001 10 8.00%
TCY 8 6.40%
FOF4 3 2.40%
FOF2004 7 5.60%
FOF2007 4 3.20%
FOF7 26 20.80%
FOF8 33 26.40%
I just want to see the results without voting 24 19.20%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-26-2017, 11:09 AM   #1
Kodos
Resident Alien

Which version of FOF did you get the most enjoyment out of?

Poll to come.

Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 12:08 PM   #2
QuikSand
lolzcat

I don't make any claim that it was the best of the series, by any means, but personally I really, really, really got into FOF 2001.

I played a lot of dynasties, messed around with house rules, and got very immersed into the nuts and bolts of the game. This was before deep playtesting, multiplayer, etc -- just a different time.

FWIW, my favorite dynasty from FOF 2001
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 01:28 PM   #3
AlexB
Pro Starter

Was torn between FOF7 and the last version before the staff draft was introduced.

Partly because I couldn’t remember which version that was, partly as I think the Draft accuracy setting improved the old FOF module, partly because the simulation got better and better with the old game, I went with 7
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 01:43 PM   #4
Kodos
Resident Alien

I chose FOF 2004 because I had a ton of fun with it in multiplayer. The glory days of IHOF were the pinnacle of FOF for me. If I hadn't chosen FOF 2004, it would have been FOF 2001. I hadn't played the first two editions, so 2001 was a revelation to me. After FOF 2007, I was no longer willing to devote the time to learn the ins and outs required to compete in multiplayer. I've thought about going back to give FOF7 more of a try in singleplayer. I bought it, but barely, barely scratched the surface before dropping out of the FOF scene. I was curious about FOF8, but reading about things like the changes made to Chemistry that seemed designed to make things less straightforward convinced me not to bother.

Last edited by Kodos : 10-26-2017 at 01:48 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 03:13 PM   #5
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

FOF 8 is the most fun I have had. As I have gotten a grasp of game planning, I have really begun to enjoy putting together a scheme for my offense and defense for a season. Sometimes it blows up in my face, but I have also had some real success with other plans and made lesser teams better because of it.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 10-26-2017 at 03:14 PM.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 03:15 PM   #6
Sharkn20
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
FOF 8 is the most fun I have had. As I have gotten a grasp of game planning, I have really begun to enjoy putting together a scheme for my offense and defense for a season. Sometimes it blows up in my face, but I have also had some real success with other plans and made lesser teams better because of it.

+1
Sharkn20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 05:51 PM   #7
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I chose FOF 2004 because I had a ton of fun with it in multiplayer. The glory days of IHOF were the pinnacle of FOF for me. If I hadn't chosen FOF 2004, it would have been FOF 2001. I hadn't played the first two editions, so 2001 was a revelation to me. After FOF 2007, I was no longer willing to devote the time to learn the ins and outs required to compete in multiplayer. I've thought about going back to give FOF7 more of a try in singleplayer. I bought it, but barely, barely scratched the surface before dropping out of the FOF scene. I was curious about FOF8, but reading about things like the changes made to Chemistry that seemed designed to make things less straightforward convinced me not to bother.
You can still win while completely ignoring Chemistry in FOF8.

My experience is basically all FOF MP. Yes, I played SP in FOF2 for quite some time, but that time is long forgotten. I didn't get enough attached to my teams to play long careers though.

FOF2004 was the start of MP. The stuff we did in the early years in the IHOF community hid that the game was not quite the evolved FOF we see today. Still, it was a blast to be part of what we did back in the day. When GEFL started, I built a monster defense through the initial league draft and later on picked up Mark Super Duper. It was the league where I collected my first couple of MP championships.

FOF2007 had the first round of fixes for people searching for the edges of what works and doesn't work. Yet it took me quite some time to figure out how to be consistently good at it. In this era WOOF kicked off, but after a couple of seasons I downgraded from 3 to 2 and to just 1 league. I managed to build some awesome teams in IHOF, but they always choked in the playoffs.

FOF7 for me took the least time to get the hang of it. It felt like an improved FOF2007 to me. It even increased the ability to just focus on roster building. Ironically, I think in this version my trading spree declined, because I managed to draft well in later rounds, still finding ways to triple deep in the playoffs.

FOF8 introduced the game planning overhaul, it took me a weekend to get the hang of offense and another one to create a defensive game plan. Both to make sure they don't shoot my team in the foot. After that, drafting and good roster building are back on top of being key to success, although this version feels the most random, as parity is thriving in IHOF. At least I finally got my first IHOF title, yay!

FOF2004 was the most fun with the community around the game. FOF2007 at times was survival mode. FOF8 has been frustrating, and still is at times, despite having had the best overall success. FOF7 has gotten me over the hump that I felt at times in FOF2007, FOF7 never made me even consider stop playing.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 06:33 PM   #8
Dawgfan19
High School JV

FOF 8 has clearly been my favorite for a variety of reasons:

1. Feels more like the real NFL with game planning, the need to have a deeper depth chart, especially on the d-line.

2. You can devise an attack style defense.

3. Much better draft classes which allows acquisition of solid players that fit your scheme.

4. You can design a passing oriented offense throwing 40+ times a game without getting the dreaded familiars.
Dawgfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 04:32 PM   #9
tzach
High School JV

Nice to hear the FOF stories and experiences from others. I'm new to the party as I have only played FOF7 (SP only) and FOF 8 (SP and MP).

FOF8 is by far the most immersive and realistic experience in football simulation that I've had so far. I've put lots of time to learn the basics and develop my tools for analysis, and what I like is that I'm still learning new things.

FOF8 took me a lot longer than 7 to become straightforward in SP, and that eventually led me to venture into MP territory. I love the experience so far.
tzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:41 AM   #10
garion333
High School Varsity

2k7 was the tick, but FOF7 was the tock and a much better game.

FOF8 is the tick, I'm waiting for FOF9 to be the tock that cleans up some issues with 8 and becomes a much better game.

I'm going with FOF7 for the poll. Way, way too many things I dislike about FOF8 to vote for it.
garion333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:42 PM   #11
LionsFan10
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
I don't make any claim that it was the best of the series, by any means, but personally I really, really, really got into FOF 2001.

I played a lot of dynasties, messed around with house rules, and got very immersed into the nuts and bolts of the game. This was before deep playtesting, multiplayer, etc -- just a different time.

FWIW, my favorite dynasty from FOF 2001

My favorite written dynasty of all-time on FOFC, there's also an old Football Manager dynasty you did, I can't remember the year (99-00 perhaps?), that single-handedly made me want to try out that series, and I wasn't even a (European) football fan.
Old 11-04-2017, 02:01 PM   #12
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post

Same. It had some issues but I got the most fun out of this game.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 04:47 AM   #13
MrBug708
Head Coach

I really wish I could find a version of FOF2
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 11:07 AM   #14
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionsFan10 View Post
My favorite written dynasty of all-time on FOFC, there's also an old Football Manager dynasty you did, I can't remember the year (99-00 perhaps?), that single-handedly made me want to try out that series, and I wasn't even a (European) football fan.

Thanks, that's awfully kind of you. I have apparently lost whatever joy I got from writing deep dynasty threads here, but I do recall having a lot of fun writing that sort of stuff up.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:01 AM   #15
PilotMan
Head Coach

I played a lot more from 2004-FOF7, but my fondest memories were the TCY season's where I was starting out and trying to find that needle in the haystack that would fit my scheme, but not be highly touted, who would go on to dominate.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 10:54 AM   #16
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I played a lot more from 2004-FOF7, but my fondest memories were the TCY season's where I was starting out and trying to find that needle in the haystack that would fit my scheme, but not be highly touted, who would go on to dominate.

My first dynasty thread here (maybe 2nd behind a Tampa Bay OOTP dynasty) was a TCY Mizzou dynasty and I had another member as my OC. That was so much fun!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:36 AM   #17
jamesUMD
High School JV

Think it was 2001. The version with expansion teams. Really loved building from truly ground up. Miss expansion teams.
Old 12-29-2022, 10:16 AM   #18
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Who has two thumbs and an emulator? This guy! (Sorry I couldn't make the pictures bigger )

I have always had a soft spot for FOF2. Perfect balance between strategy, statistical accuracy and fun.

X factor loves Curtis Enis. If only it could have been this way in real life, Curtis.

Your 1999 Chicago Bears or as I like to call them: Your perennial empty cupboard challenge.

Last edited by LastWhiteSoxFanStanding : 12-29-2022 at 10:17 AM.
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 11:11 AM   #19
Front Office Midget
High School Varsity

FOF8 has a lot of benefits but it has a few drawbacks for fast-paced Single Player play. The stats do not much the modern NFL (or the modern NFL in 2016 when it was released) and the gameplanning/playbooking is so difficult to penetrate that you can't really just adjust a few settings to make your team more run-heavy or pass-heavy.

But it's the unrealistic single player stats that make it tough to want to come back to. Rarely see seasons that would actually qualify as legitimate OPOY or DPOY seasons in the NFL. So it's possible that FOF7 was the most fun in that regard.

Last edited by Front Office Midget : 12-30-2022 at 11:12 AM.
Front Office Midget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 03:57 PM   #20
Irrelevant Dude
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastWhiteSoxFanStanding View Post
I have always had a soft spot for FOF2. Perfect balance between strategy, statistical accuracy and fun.
FOF2 was the one for me too. I don't necessarily think it was the high point of the series, but it likely has a lot to do with the game releasing at the right time in my life. These days, I just don't have enough time to spend on FOF8 to learn all the systems and get full enjoyment out of it.
Irrelevant Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 04:42 PM   #21
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Office Midget View Post
FOF8 has a lot of benefits but it has a few drawbacks for fast-paced Single Player play. The stats do not much the modern NFL (or the modern NFL in 2016 when it was released) and the gameplanning/playbooking is so difficult to penetrate that you can't really just adjust a few settings to make your team more run-heavy or pass-heavy.

But it's the unrealistic single player stats that make it tough to want to come back to. Rarely see seasons that would actually qualify as legitimate OPOY or DPOY seasons in the NFL. So it's possible that FOF7 was the most fun in that regard.

I don't think I ever got the relationship between YAC and pass patterns down very well. I took the engine too far the way it was and I wasn't happy with the results when I opened up on completion percentage.

I'm happier with FOF8 because I solved half of the problem, but I needed to throttle things a bit to prevent super-teams from super things that would break the illusion.

Maybe I revisit this some day. I would do a better job and there's much more richness in data sets to do it with.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 04:48 PM   #22
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrelevant Dude View Post
FOF2 was the one for me too. I don't necessarily think it was the high point of the series, but it likely has a lot to do with the game releasing at the right time in my life. These days, I just don't have enough time to spend on FOF8 to learn all the systems and get full enjoyment out of it.

FOF2 was also the high point of whatever you call this career or hobby or whatnot. It was the only time in my professional life when I felt like a real collaborator, a valued member of a team. The guy doing the GUI was a thorough professional and the team at EA made stuff happen. Just a fluke got us in the end - Coke and Pepsi (literally). Makes me wish there was a quantum entanglement solution to get back to that point and drink (figuratively) differently.
Old 01-05-2023, 08:58 AM   #23
A-Husker-4-Life
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Maybe I revisit this some day. I would do a better job and there's much more richness in data sets to do it with.

Would you be interested in a GoFundme to put out a patch for FOF8?

I'm serious about this and if we could raise like 10k or more would you be interested in fixing some of FOF8's issues?

Acouple issues are;

1. CB/LB swap
2. PR fumbles
3. Endgame logic
4. General depth/subbing especially in preseason

Last edited by A-Husker-4-Life : 01-05-2023 at 12:39 PM.
A-Husker-4-Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 12:56 PM   #24
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Husker-4-Life View Post
Would you be interested in a GoFundme to put out a patch for FOF8?

I'm serious about this and if we could raise like 10k or more would you be interested in fixing some of FOF8's issues?

Acouple issues are;

1. CB/LB swap
2. PR fumbles
3. Endgame logic
4. General depth/subbing especially in preseason

I've never been comfortable with the GoFundMe model. Not sure why - it's done a lot for other similar ventures.

What would be very interesting to me, because every once in a while someone writes about an issue that obviously is significant to them and I can honestly say I've never seen it mentioned anywhere before (examples being PR fumbles and CB/LB swap above), would be a carefully compiled and detailed list of everything long-time players believe would improve the game. It would take some effort, and it's not something I could do because I don't play the game for competition.

That would be quite valuable for this kind of thing. People seem very reluctant to report what may be a significant bug.

I don't know if FOF8 is patchable. Not in the near future - I'm far too busy right now to do more than say it's likely possible. But maybe a year or two from now, no promises. If I do, then I probably have to create new player files and that's time-consuming. I also worry a lot about my age. I see why relatively few people in my age group are still programming. It's just a catch every once in a while, but I'm very aware I can't do calculations or work through logical trees at quite the speed I used to.
Old 01-05-2023, 05:33 PM   #25
xcom44dan
n00b

I've been playing since FOF2004. Until relatively recently, this was exclusively single player, calling my own offensive plays, and having the AI coach call defence. I've always loved the pacing of this, as each game has felt more meaningful than if I just sim week to week. I suspect I'm in the minority here though.

I never noticed any real bugs when playing (aside from a funny time where Brian Quick kept passing to Brian Quick, as all my QBs were injured!), and feel like I'm only more likely to find them now, as competitive multiplayer encourages me to dig more than I ever did for SP.

I sank goodness knows how many (thousands?) of hours into playing single player over the years, and have had an amazing time with the game. The only reason I've started playing multiplayer is because eventually each version of the game becomes too easy. FOF8 did seem more challenging at first though, for sure. I really, really love the multiplayer community (shout out to IHOF), but it's not had quite the same magic for me as my own little SP universes have had over the years.

In any case, as a SP voice, these were things I've long thought would be nice additions to improve the single player experience - the game engine is second to none, so these are mostly immersion type additions:

> Ability to 'mask' player ratings - I'm guessing that programming the AI to build more competitive teams must be incredibly hard, but I've always thought having an option to have an attributes 'range' would make building a strong roster a bit more challenging, where you'd have to rely on a player's statistical output in addition to their raw rating bars. I know that scouts help with this to an extent, but it's not hard to just hire a coach with a good scouting rating.

More immersion: 1 - Having pictures on the player card. I think these could help make the universe feel a little more alive. There's a lot of real estate on the player card currently for a big team logo, using some of that space would be nice.

More Immersion: 2 - I'd love for players to have potential "media traits" (e.g. hothead, shutdown corner, field general, injury prone, pocket passer, high point receiver, clutch etc.). I think this could help bring players to life a bit more. I guess in practice a 'Clutch QB' could get a small ratings boost in close games, where a poor Matt Ryan type might have the opposite issue. Motorsport Manager does this well. Obviously IRL these are very subjective descriptions of players, but I think it would translate well to a game.

Inclusion of More Performance Metrics - With the rise of Football Outsiders and PFF, having more detailed performance metrics would be nice. Especially if there was an option to mask player ratings, this would force the player to deep dive into the outputs of existing players in Free Agency.

Changes to Legend of the Game Logic - I've never quite understood the logic for this, but often I get some strange selections. The Hall of Fame is much better, but also find that this too is sometimes a bit position biased. It might be nice to also have a team specific "Ring of Fame" or similar too.

Connection to the College Game - This last one really is in dreamland territory. I used to really enjoy running a College Years campaign alongside my FOF save, and importing the draft classes each year. I guess this is back to the immersion piece for me, but seeing players I'm already familiar with being drafted by rival teams created so many sub-plots in my FOF game. I'd also love for a player's college stats to be shown, and potentially factored in to the calculation for how good a drafted player turns out (i.e. instead of just a combination of combine and scouted bars, also their college performance). A combined college/pro universe would mean I might never leave the house.

Just a side note - I've always personally thought criticism of the UI has been a bit unfair, e.g. I think the FOF8 UI is great, I love the ability to open multiple windows. I wonder if some of this is down to the lack of player images, statistical charts etc.

p.s. these aren't suggestions for a patch of course, or even really a wish list. Just was reading through the thread and thought it would be nice to share thoughts on my personal "dream FOF game".

Last edited by xcom44dan : 01-05-2023 at 05:39 PM.
xcom44dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 10:41 PM   #26
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

This brings to mind a couple of efforts that would be great to see.

First and foremost, someone with a decent amount of Q&A experience compiling a usable list of issues with FOF8 - something I could take a long look at if I ever have the opportunity to work on this again. Forum posts get lost easily and, I've found over the years, many people don't respond to clarification requests.

And second, a group of people who have played the game a long time who can discuss anything they'd like to see in a future game - at least one that doesn't have a Madden-sized team behind it.

One feature brought up here is the player pictures or drawings. I've looked into it, and three things stopped me. One is hair (and I'd imagine this is changing). Today's packages don't have much variety. So it becomes a bit cartooney. OOTP's solution was to draw helmets - but face shots in football aren't with helmets on. It would distract. Two is expense. FaceGen isn't cheap, especially the full license that allows the game to create faces. And Three is race. Life isn't color-blind, but I'd like FOF to be.
Old 01-06-2023, 08:58 AM   #27
A-Husker-4-Life
College Prospect

Quote:
This brings to mind a couple of efforts that would be great to see.

First and foremost, someone with a decent amount of Q&A experience compiling a usable list of issues with FOF8 - something I could take a long look at if I ever have the opportunity to work on this again. Forum posts get lost easily and, I've found over the years, many people don't respond to clarification requests.

And second, a group of people who have played the game a long time who can discuss anything they'd like to see in a future game - at least one that doesn't have a Madden-sized team behind it.

The first part, I can get my league to compile a comprehensive list with screenshots. We are all old time FOF players with plenty of experience in multiplayer but we'll just cover those 4 topics in depth and we are not asking for you to add anything, just to fix some issues. We will work on it this next week and get it back to you mid week.

After we get you that list, I can get with the other commish's from other leagues and we can ask all the MP owners what their thoughts for a new FOF would be like and get a comprehensive indepth list of wants/needs for a future FOF. Trust me, we will not ask for Facegen, it ruins Immersion and like you said, it's expensive.

Last edited by A-Husker-4-Life : 01-06-2023 at 09:02 AM.
Old 01-06-2023, 12:27 PM   #28
xcom44dan
n00b

RE: Player images, that all makes sense. Some things in there I hadn't really considered. Can totally understand now how some silly looking player pics could make the game less immersive for some, and cause extra development headaches and costs.

FWIW, I use the community made, AI built NewGAN packs for Football Manager, and they're much better than the face-gen type stuff. Link here for anyone interested: NewGan Facepack. I think there are 30k images in there.

Maybe it would be nice if you could have the option to drop an image into a designated folder with the 'player_id' as the file name, and the game could replace the stock team logo with a custom image where a matching id file is found. That way player image packs could be optional/community driven.

Anyway, they're not that important to my enjoyment of the game either to be honest, just a nice to have. Something like attribute masking would make single-player much more challenging/enjoyable to me than a player image.

@A-Husker-4-Life That's a great idea. Look forward to hearing about what different players value most about the game.

Last edited by xcom44dan : 01-06-2023 at 12:34 PM.
xcom44dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 03:14 PM   #29
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I think it's important right now to make some sort of post that defines my thoughts, abilities, etc, on this issue.

FOF8 - I can't commit to anything. If anything happens, it won't be until at least the end of 2023. What has changed is that I am pretty sure I can make changes to the executable program.

If (and it's a big if) I change anything, it will be very small in scale. Bugs that don't require a lot of investigating. Off-hand, I'd say anything that affects player participation in games is one of the more complex pieces in FOF8, and is far beyond the scope of any patch.

Since player files are time-consuming, and they'd serve no other purpose than to refresh FOF8, I think that's off the table, too. It's at the end of its life cycle. So this would be a small project, and would have to be done in my spare time. I would not want to shake any money tree for that, so to speak.

Other stuff - I've been in five different code bases since FOF8. I have my current work, which I hope is of interest to some people here at some point, but no guarantees. I am getting older (if you follow the Michigan football discussions, you know my age within a couple of years). I can't work like I used to work. My wife is on sabbatical next year and we will travel, as well, in addition to her research. I don't want people to expect what I won't be able to deliver.

Suggestion Boxes - I'm interested in what people come up with. It's likely that I never have the opportunity to delve into much of it, but you never know - something might pop up and be completely relevant to my current work. I've always wanted to hear from people, and at times, I've had a small group of core customers who advise me, but no formal way to include people. Forums don't work well for that type of thing.
Old 01-06-2023, 05:08 PM   #30
nickelback
n00b

Does anyone know where I might find a download link for FOF2? It’s one version I’ve never played and would love to give it a go.
nickelback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 07:31 AM   #31
A-Husker-4-Life
College Prospect

Hey Jim, should we use your support email address to continue this discussion or would you like me to create a new post here?

Last edited by A-Husker-4-Life : 01-07-2023 at 07:32 AM.
Old 01-07-2023, 02:42 PM   #32
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I'm not sure. The forum used to have a good place to store stuff like that, but it's been years since I've had any communication with FOFC. So I'd rule that out.

Send it through email once it's complete. It's going to be at least a year before I anticipate any ability to go back and forth on details, but I am very interested in seeing this.

You might have some idea, starting this project, just how hard it is to collect this information. If this works, I really appreciate it, and look forward to seeing what you come up with.
Old 01-09-2023, 11:51 AM   #33
A-Husker-4-Life
College Prospect

Ok Jim, we will compile a very detailed list and email the solecismic support email. I'm probably going to make a PDF with screenshots and better formatting. I look forward to showing you our findings.
Old 01-09-2023, 04:48 PM   #34
WilleB
H.S. Freshman Team

Which version could TCY players be imported to the draft class?
WilleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 11:48 AM   #35
ezlee2
n00b

Quote:
The first part, I can get my league to compile a comprehensive list with screenshots. We are all old time FOF players with plenty of experience in multiplayer but we'll just cover those 4 topics in depth and we are not asking for you to add anything, just to fix some issues. We will work on it this next week and get it back to you mid week.

After we get you that list, I can get with the other commish's from other leagues and we can ask all the MP owners what their thoughts for a new FOF would be like and get a comprehensive indepth list of wants/needs for a future FOF. Trust me, we will not ask for Facegen, it ruins Immersion and like you said, it's expensive.

RZB would be happy to assist with this in any way you would like.
ezlee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 11:53 AM   #36
ezlee2
n00b

Not sure how difficult it would be to tweak, but even a 17 game schedule and the current playoff format would be huge IMO.

Last edited by ezlee2 : 01-19-2023 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-19-2023, 01:19 PM   #37
ezlee2
n00b

Just realized I voted for FOF2007, but I really think FOF8 is the best iteration. I do miss the old way to hire coaches though. I hate the staff draft, but the live drafts have really helped IMO.
Old 01-19-2023, 02:21 PM   #38
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezlee2 View Post
Not sure how difficult it would be to tweak, but even a 17 game schedule and the current playoff format would be huge IMO.

If I ever have the time and ability to do something to FOF8, it will be very minor - bug fixing only.

From my work on other projects, I can tell you that any schedule changes require new underlying data structures, new default schedules and schedule templates, new algorithms here and there. It's not something that would ever be done to an existing product.

My biggest hesitation for doing this (and, again, it won't be until the end of the year, at least) is that I don't want people to build any expectation that it's going to include new features or tweaks, if you want to call them that. While I'm interested in wish lists, it's just interest, not something I would consider for FOF8 since it is near the end of its product cycle.

I hope I'm doing the right thing here. In engaging in this discussion, I worry it will only upset people by giving them the impression that FOF8 is undergoing a new development phase. It isn't and won't.
Old 01-19-2023, 05:51 PM   #39
RD
n00b

Maybe simply undoing the last patch
RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 12:05 AM   #40
WilleB
H.S. Freshman Team

Let's move on then. TBH
WilleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 10:09 AM   #41
LuckyJohn59
n00b

I hope the suggestion idea is not limited only to people that have played Front Office Football for a long time. I have only played FOF8 but I think I have some good thoughts/ideas.
LuckyJohn59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 06:00 PM   #42
ezlee2
n00b

Quote:
If I ever have the time and ability to do something to FOF8, it will be very minor - bug fixing only.

From my work on other projects, I can tell you that any schedule changes require new underlying data structures, new default schedules and schedule templates, new algorithms here and there. It's not something that would ever be done to an existing product.

My biggest hesitation for doing this (and, again, it won't be until the end of the year, at least) is that I don't want people to build any expectation that it's going to include new features or tweaks, if you want to call them that. While I'm interested in wish lists, it's just interest, not something I would consider for FOF8 since it is near the end of its product cycle.

I hope I'm doing the right thing here. In engaging in this discussion, I worry it will only upset people by giving them the impression that FOF8 is undergoing a new development phase. It isn't and won't.

I think it's great Jim. We all know you had been a one-man show for years and we all appreciate your efforts and or any efforts you would make in the future. I can confidently say that the game you created has been one of the great joys of my life and that sounds silly for a bunch of 1'w and 0's. However, the relationship I have made via MP are priceless and I only have FOF to thank for that. So thank you Jim for giving us a game that many of us have been playing for 20 years. Honestly, at this point, anything you do to FOF8 is just gravy as we all never even thought that would happen.
Old 01-21-2023, 11:12 AM   #43
A-Husker-4-Life
College Prospect

Quote:

Just a quick update Jim, we have been working hard on the lists and should have something for you in a week or so. I'll still use your support email to send you the list if that still ok.
Old 01-21-2023, 11:15 PM   #44
jcard
n00b

A UI / QoL suggestion:

Currently, the button to view a table of the players in a position group and their attributes is only enabled on the roster view for the team that you manage. To get the same information on any other team each player profile must be opened and analyzed / recorded (for comparison) individually (or perhaps a couple or few at a time, if your screen resolution permits. Given that the information is accessible and not hidden, it would be far more efficient to be able to view this roster sub-screen for any team (really, league wide as well would be better and reasonable, but I am trying to stay within the present interface structure). The button on the position group view itself that permits special team duty recommendations would just have to be disabled for the AI teams- just as is the on the roster view of AI teams, where certain buttons (like the position group button currently) are inactive while others are enabled.

Thank you for any consideration given to this suggestion.
jcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 12:31 AM   #45
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Just a quick update Jim, we have been working hard on the lists and should have something for you in a week or so. I'll still use your support email to send you the list if that still ok.

Of course. And I appreciate it.

I wanted to repeat, just in case I haven't repeated it enough:

If I ever have the time and ability to do something to FOF8, it will be very, very, very minor - bug fixing only.

Please don't expect anything, and if anything eventually happens, please don't expect any new features or new designs or player files or schedules or anything else that isn't covered by those categories.

I'll also state again, for the record, I am not certain I can do anything at all to the product on Steam.

Last edited by Solecismic : 01-22-2023 at 12:42 AM.
Old 01-22-2023, 07:15 AM   #46
tzach
High School JV

Quote:
Of course. And I appreciate it.

I wanted to repeat, just in case I haven't repeated it enough:

If I ever have the time and ability to do something to FOF8, it will be very, very, very minor - bug fixing only.

Please don't expect anything, and if anything eventually happens, please don't expect any new features or new designs or player files or schedules or anything else that isn't covered by those categories.

I'll also state again, for the record, I am not certain I can do anything at all to the product on Steam.

thank you for the great product, jim. if you ever consider fine tuning the FOF8 engine to reproduce 2010-2022 passing+running average stats, i'd be happy to stress test and provide feedback/insight.
tzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 02:43 PM   #47
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzach View Post
thank you for the great product, jim. if you ever consider fine tuning the FOF8 engine to reproduce 2010-2022 passing+running average stats, i'd be happy to stress test and provide feedback/insight.

Fine-tuning can be based on widely variant player sets and game plans. It's definitely based on 2010s NFL results, but most of the time, you'll see numbers that are a little low for reasons I've detailed many, many times and the YAC issue I mentioned earlier.

Working on that more would require major changes to the game.

Once again, if I ever have the time and ability to do something to FOF8, it will be very, very, very minor - bug fixing only.
Old 01-22-2023, 08:18 PM   #48
Dutch
"Dutch"

No matter what, Jim, you’ll always be the Tom Brady of Football simulations. You’re the GOAT. Cheers!
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 11:39 PM   #49
joe the wanderer
n00b

Maybe this is minor, not sure...

Under View Transactions on a player's card, if the player had been traded, I always wished we could see what exactly he had been traded for.
joe the wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 10:06 AM   #50
Millerp33
n00b

I’d like to see the bug where the game crashes when trying to “change name” of a retired player. Not crazy important but it seems to always play a part in my long SP careers where I try to keep the rosters fresh. Also, I don’t need an all new FOF, I’m just glad the game isn’t dead! Thanks Jim and the community for keeping it alive!
Millerp33 is offline   Reply With Quote