Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-16-2009, 12:35 PM   #1
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Joe Buck Live (Artie Lange as a guest?)

Disclaimer: I grew up in St. Louis and Joe Buck was sort of a fixture for Cardinal games. And while things like the Randy Moss "mooning" incident make Joe Buck look kind of foolish I never really understood the hatred for him.

So last night I decide to catch this show. I figured, correctly, that he would have a lot of big name stars and maybe they would say something interesting. His first interview was with Brett Favre and it was not interesting at all and then he had Chad Johnson on (from my favorite team) but failed to call him on his bs about not wanting the attention and not putting down Carson Palmer. So anyways it was a pretty ho hum show until the trainwreck that happened during his roundtable. It was basically Artie Lange just going completely over the top and really pissing Buck off.

I am not sure where I stand. On one hand the producers had to know that Lange was a loose cannon and I don't understand why they would book him. But on the other Lange just took stuff way too far. (talking about jizz, smoking on the set, telling Buck how boring he was, a lot of cock jokes) Buck looked like a first year teacher whose class is out of control but has no idea what to do. You could tell he wanted him to shut up but also wanted to stay "cool" and not appear bent out of shape about it. A couple of times he really looked like he was about to cry.

If you hate Buck or really enjoy watching a trainwreck you need to see a clip of the show.

Youtube keeps pulling it so I would just do a new search to find a clip.

Anyone else see this? I figured there would be at least one post about it.

panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:38 PM   #2
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Comedian Lange crosses the line on 'Joe Buck Live' - USATODAY.com
Quote:
At the end of the live taping in Manhattan, Buck thanked Lange for putting an end to his show after one episode. Fellow guest Michael Irvin grabbed the microphone and joked: "It's refreshing to see white-on white crime."
Old 06-16-2009, 12:41 PM   #3
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

That sums it up pretty well but you have to see the video to get any idea of how uncomfortable it was. Paul Rudd was on there and Buck starts joking about growing up in Kansas City and Lange just goes off on how boring it all is. (Which it really was!)

I am not a big Stern fan and never found Lange funny so I was kind of pissed about what he was doing but I guess Buck is a big boy.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:43 PM   #4
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I heard this on Stern this morning. I'll make this clear...I don't like Joe Buck at all but I think it was a bit dick what Artie did. And this is coming from someone who really likes Artie on The Howard Stern show.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:48 PM   #5
wade moore
lolzcat

I watched the whole show last night (on a side note - did HBO get set to be free last night for this show? I accidentally clicked on it not thinking, and there it was - even though I don't subscribe to HBO) and I thought it was an absolute asshole move by Lange. He was a complete over the top dick. Yes, it's HBO, but it's also a relatively serious talk show that doesn't want jizz and cock jokes.

That being said, as Mike Florio at PFT says, I imagine someone on the Buck staff has to have gotten their pink slip today. Whoever booked Lange has to know what he's like and you just can't have that on a show like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:49 PM   #6
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I had never even heard of Artie Lange before reading about this on si.com. The picture they have of him shows him to be a big, fat slob wearing an Ohio State t-shirt. So, I am not surprised at the leat by any of this.

I really have no feelings either way as to Joe Buck. The only time he annoyed me was when he went all shocked and horrified over Randy Moss' faux mooing of the Green Bay crowd. I felt that he reaction was ridiculous and way over the top, but, other than that incident, he's never really bothered me one way or the other.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:51 PM   #7
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
That being said, as Mike Florio at PFT says, I imagine someone on the Buck staff has to have gotten their pink slip today. Whoever booked Lange has to know what he's like and you just can't have that on a show like this.

I doubt anyone gets canned over it, they rolled the dice & lost, but that's pretty much being treated as "shit happens". And honestly it's way more publicity than the show would have gotten otherwise.

Quote:
HBO Sports president Ross Greenburg said Lange "bordered on bad taste" with his "mean-spirited" tone.

"Look, live television is all about risk-reward. We know who Artie Lange was when he was booked," said Greenburg. "We knew there was a certain degree of a risk factor in where he would go and where he would take us. I think at the end of the day, we'll let the public decide. Much the same way the public decided on the appearance of Will Leitch and Buzz Bissinger. ... The public will have the last say in what they thought of Artie Lange tonight."

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 06-16-2009 at 12:52 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:53 PM   #8
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

For the people that did see the show I thought Paul Rudd and the SNL guy were pretty gutless in not defending Buck. Love him or hate him you know the Buck is kind of an old school humorless guy. And instead of saying Lange was out of line they were laughing at him or keeping quiet. I am pretty sure they didn't want him to come after them but I just felt bad for Buck.

Last edited by panerd : 06-16-2009 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:54 PM   #9
Jas_lov
College Starter

Buck got what he deserved. He's a douche and a disgrace to his father. He was an idiot for having Artie Lange on his first show and hopefully this is the end for his show. What a trainwreck. Joe Buck standing up doing a monologue and trying to be funny was a joke to begin with.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:54 PM   #10
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

would have been entertaining if Artie Lange was actually funny....like, at all.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:00 PM   #11
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Buck is so douchy, I actually hope this ruins his career.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:03 PM   #12
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

See I don't get the intense hatred for Buck I guess. Outside of the Moss thing what does he do that is so douchy?

I agree that his show was pretty bland and his Favre and 8-5 interviews weren't great. Plus he tried a couple of comedy bits that were really flat. But I just think it isn't his thing but doesn't make him a bad person. Am I just brainwashed by the Saint Louis media and his local restaurants and commericials? I really want to know this, he doesn't seem that bad!
Old 06-16-2009, 01:04 PM   #13
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I just set this to tape. I love Artie Lang on Stern. Anyone who listens to the show realizes that he is actually a very funny, talented comedian that is more then fart jokes. IMO he really isn't over the top on Stern.

My guess is he doesn't like Joe Buck for whatever reason and decided to be a dick, which he is capable of doing.

If anything this is good for the show. The only thing worse then bad publicity is no publicity. Would anyone actually be talking about the show had this not happened?

I haven't watched it yet, but if it the way you guys described it and the show gets canceled Buck has no one to blame but himself. It's his show and he needs to take charge.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:05 PM   #14
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
Buck got what he deserved. He's a douche and a disgrace to his father. He was an idiot for having Artie Lange on his first show and hopefully this is the end for his show. What a trainwreck. Joe Buck standing up doing a monologue and trying to be funny was a joke to begin with.

+1

Can Bucks voice sound any more fake than what it already does?

I'd rather listen to Steven Wright do the play by play than Joe Buck. At least Steven would make it sound interesting and won't repeat the same phrase over and over and over and over and over again.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:07 PM   #15
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Something perhaps missed in all of this is the ridiculous statement made by Buck about Favre:

Quote:
Greenburg hoped Lange's antics wouldn't overshadow Buck's one-on-one interview with quarterback Brett Favre who opened up to Buck about his recent shoulder surgery and possible return to the NFL with the Minnesota Vikings.
"He's had a lot said about him and he's had zero chance to answer anything and put it in his own words," said Buck about Favre.

Yeah, I am sure Favre never gets to answer anything in his own words. What a joke that statement is. What universe is Buck living in?

As for the incident, I don't like Lange and really don't care for Buck. This is a win/win for me I guess. But seriously, what the hell did HBO expect when they brought in Lange? This is what they wanted, a lot of publicity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:09 PM   #16
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
I'd rather listen to Steven Tyler do the play by play than Joe Buck. At least Steven would make it sound interesting and won't repeat the same phrase over and over and over and over and over again.

fixed

Quote:
Old 06-16-2009, 01:12 PM   #17
wade moore
lolzcat

Put me in the camp that doesn't get the extreme hatred for Buck. I don't see how you have anything worse than a "neutral" feeling. He's just a very blind guy to me - I don't get the vitriol.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 06-16-2009, 01:16 PM   #18
molson
General Manager

It makes no sense to have Lange on a show like this. Lange is kind of an idiot (or just a drug addict who can't help himself) to pigeonhole himself, but at least he's consistent. He does over-the-top offensive stand-up comedy, and over-the-top offensive commentary on Stern. That's it. He barely even acts any more. Anyone remotely familiar with him could see this coming. Lange can control himself for something like Letterman, but this is whole different thing.

Last edited by molson : 06-16-2009 at 01:18 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:17 PM   #19
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
It makes no sense to have Lange on a show like this. Lange is kind of idiot (or just a drug addict who can't help himself) to pigeonhole himself, but at least he's consistent. He does over-the-top offensive stand-up comedy, and over-the-top offensive commentary on Stern. That's it. He barely even acts any more. Anyone remotely familiar with him could see this coming.

Which is why this screams "set up" to me.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:18 PM   #20
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
It makes no sense to have Lange on a show like this. Lange is kind of idiot (or just a drug addict who can't help himself) to pigeonhole himself, but at least he's consistent. He does over-the-top offensive stand-up comedy, and over-the-top offensive commentary on Stern. That's it. He barely even acts any more. Anyone remotely familiar with him could see this coming.

That is why HBO and Buck are full of shit. They had to know exactly what they were getting. This is an attention grab.

EDIT: what Logan said.

Quote:

Last edited by RomaGoth : 06-16-2009 at 01:19 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:21 PM   #21
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

I don't think Buck is that good of an actor and he was pissed last night. Maybe if you are saying the HBO bosses set it up I could agree. But I don't think Buck had any idea Lange was going to get so outragous.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:22 PM   #22
stevew
Hall Of Famer

If you don't understand why Buck is a complete and total douche, it clearly must be one of those "douches don't smell their own" things.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:22 PM   #23
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
That is why HBO and Buck are full of shit. They had to know exactly what they were getting. This is an attention grab.

EDIT: what Logan said.

I agree except it really did look like Joe Buck was going to cry. So either he is a heck of an actor or he didn't expect it to happen to this degree.

Edit: What panerd said :-)

Last edited by LastWhiteSoxFanStanding : 06-16-2009 at 01:23 PM. Reason: What panerd said :-)
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:23 PM   #24
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
If you don't understand why Buck is a complete and total douche, it clearly must be one of those "douches don't smell their own" things.

Classy.

Seriously - what's wrong with him? He's just your typical, bland, fake voice play-by-play guy.

:shrug:

Quote:
Old 06-16-2009, 01:25 PM   #25
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

anyone have the video to this?

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:26 PM   #26
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Buck's nephew stayed at my frat one summer. The doucheapple doesn't fall far from the douchetree at all.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:28 PM   #27
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Buck's nephew stayed at my frat one summer. The doucheapple doesn't fall far from the douchetree at all.

+1

Quote:
Old 06-16-2009, 01:28 PM   #28
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
fixed

Thank you for the fix!

Steve Tyler, Steve Perry, Steve Martin, any Steve would be better than Buck. Well, except for maybe Steve Sax, but, I hate the Dodgers, so I'm biased on that one.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:29 PM   #29
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
anyone have the video to this?

I think youtube is being actively monitored by HBO. Not sure if it is to hide it or because they want people to watch the replay on HBO. (My guess is the latter) I don't really get how youtube works but since I see parts of movies on there all the time (which has to be illegal) I can assume it will probably get posted and you just have to catch it before it is pulled.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:30 PM   #30
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

It was on deadspin earlier.

edit:
hxxp://deadspin.com/5292467/watch-artie-lange-crap-all-over-joe-bucks-first-show?autoplay=true?skyline=true&s=i

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs2 : 06-16-2009 at 01:31 PM.
Ronnie Dobbs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:31 PM   #31
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

also, Irvin's joke was hilarious. Rudd had a few good lines as well
Old 06-16-2009, 01:32 PM   #32
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I heard the HBO folks told him (Artie) to act up and as he was walking out he said to Joe, "Did I do good?"

Not sure if that's true, but if it is.. shame on HBO and Joe Buck. If it's not, who the fck would book that douche?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:32 PM   #33
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

I don't care for Madden or Kornheiser as announcers but that just makes them unliked announcers. I want to know what Buck does that makes him a douche. He is a play by play buy. Give an example.

And that wasn't really the whole purpose of this thread but I have never understood what Buck does that is so disliked.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:34 PM   #34
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I also don't get the hatred for Buck. I think he's solid.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:37 PM   #35
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quick thoughts on Buck and doucheness:

is not a good announcer but gets feted like he's the best in the business
does not actually like to watch baseball/doesn't prepare for games
the randy moss thing
the commercials

edit:
I suppose you can add his feigned indignation to this Artie Lange thing which seems right up his alley to me.

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs2 : 06-16-2009 at 01:49 PM.
Ronnie Dobbs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:40 PM   #36
Logan
Head Coach

Apparently Lange was on Stern this morning saying that Buck told him he did a fantastic job.

Which could mean he's completely cracked out...
Old 06-16-2009, 01:46 PM   #37
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I just finished Langes book "Too Fat To Fish" and it wouldn't shock me. The guy was very sincere at parts in the book, but he at one point or another has been addicted to booze, cocaine and heroin. The simple fact there was a website called Artie Lange Death Watch that at first was a joke, but then stopped because they thought he was really going to die should say enough.

Now I do like Artie a lot, and he was great in Dirty Work, a movie I absolutely love, but this is who he is.

Artie is like Jim Norton on Opie & Anthony, just not as funny. His role in life is to be relentlessly mean. He did that to Joe Buck, and I thought it was funny, but I am also not going to be surprised if Buck didn't know ahead of time this was going to happen.

What better way for a new show to get some pub then this?
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:51 PM   #38
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

The problem with this kind of publicity is I believe they were positioning this show show to be a high brow sports show. The next Costas Now and another show along the same lines as that Bryant Gumbel show I forgot the name of.

This may be publicity, but I think its the wrong kind. Would not surprise me if this show only lasts the one year.
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:01 PM   #39
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
I just finished Langes book "Too Fat To Fish" and it wouldn't shock me. The guy was very sincere at parts in the book, but he at one point or another has been addicted to booze, cocaine and heroin. The simple fact there was a website called Artie Lange Death Watch that at first was a joke, but then stopped because they thought he was really going to die should say enough.

Haven't listened to the Stern show in awhile but I believe Artie has admitted he's fully back on the horse (at least alcohol and coke).
Old 06-16-2009, 02:04 PM   #40
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Haven't listened to the Stern show in awhile but I believe Artie has admitted he's fully back on the horse (at least alcohol and coke).

He was now he's been seeing a shrink and such. Claims to be off the stuff but acts like last night (and the way he was acting this morning) makes people wonder if he had a relapse.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:16 PM   #41
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
I want to know what Buck does that makes him a douche.

I think he's the most overbearingly obnoxious self-important asshole I've ever heard within 50 feet of a microphone and has the worst talent-to-ego ratio in the history of sports broadcasting. He makes Costas seem like the world's most humble guy by comparison. His actual announcing is no better than low-minors quality & if he had a different last name he'd be lucky to have a job with a class A team in Idaho.

He's beyond annoying, he's literally a don't-watch-if-he's-working guy for me and not even Joe Morgan falls into that category 100% of the time (only 99.9%)
Old 06-16-2009, 02:21 PM   #42
Logan
Head Coach

Classic.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:22 PM   #43
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Classic.

People shouldn't ask questions if they don't want an answer
Old 06-16-2009, 02:22 PM   #44
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

As usual Jon just has a fantastic way with words.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:26 PM   #45
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
People shouldn't ask questions if they don't want an answer

You could've been talking about my father and I still would have appreciated that response.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:28 PM   #46
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I don't like Buck but he had a few decent replies to Lange, who I had never heard of before. It all smells like a marketing stunt anyway.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:53 PM   #47
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

My wife told me she was listening to Stern this morning and Lange said HBO told him to act over the top and if the show was getting boring to liven things up. I guess they got what they wanted.

I for one have no issue with Buck and I like Lange.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 03:59 PM   #48
RainMaker
General Manager

This overshadows the best line of the show by Rudd calling himself a Lucky Pierre.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 04:45 PM   #49
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
I think he's the most overbearingly obnoxious self-important asshole I've ever heard within 50 feet of a microphone and has the worst talent-to-ego ratio in the history of sports broadcasting. He makes Costas seem like the world's most humble guy by comparison. His actual announcing is no better than low-minors quality & if he had a different last name he'd be lucky to have a job with a class A team in Idaho.

He's beyond annoying, he's literally a don't-watch-if-he's-working guy for me and not even Joe Morgan falls into that category 100% of the time (only 99.9%)

Whoa!!! While I agree with your prognosis, your presentation could use some touching up.

Quote:
Old 06-16-2009, 05:02 PM   #50
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

OMG I agree with JiMG on something!
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote