Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-08-2016, 07:25 PM   #1
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
SI's 100 Greatest Moments in Sports History

The magazine has released their list of Top 100 moments in sports. The list seems pretty solid to me (from a US perspective) after a quick perusal.

100 Greatest Moments in Sports History
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 03-08-2016 at 07:28 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:28 PM   #2
Drake
assmaster

My 8th grade 3-pointer as the clock expired didn't make the list. Disappoint.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:38 PM   #3
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

It's easy to take pot-shots at someone else's list, but when I see Brandi Chastain taking her top off just ahead of Malcom Butler's interception, I wonder about the criteria involved.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:47 PM   #4
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
It's easy to take pot-shots at someone else's list, but when I see Brandi Chastain taking her top off just ahead of Malcom Butler's interception, I wonder about the criteria involved.

I honestly can't tell if you take more exception with Chastain being close to Butler or Butler being behind Chastain
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:49 PM   #5
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I honestly can't tell if you take more exception with Chastain being close to Butler or Butler being behind Chastain

i was the same...since i have no idea who butler is... i assume hes over rated!

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:49 PM   #6
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:

I agree. Butler should much lower than Chastain.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:54 PM   #7
Logan
Head Coach

Butler's name will be forgotten long before the image of Chastain in her sports bra leaves our collective memory.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:34 PM   #8
Groundhog
Coordinator

I really wish Hayward's halfcourt heave against Duke dropped, because that might have been my favourite moment right there. As it stands, it's probably my favourite near great moment.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:39 PM   #9
timmae
College Starter

Gibson at 62... this list is broken.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:55 PM   #11
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
I agree. Butler should much lower than Chastain.

Agreed.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:25 AM   #12
Groundhog
Coordinator

It's hard for me to judge lists like these because events like horse racing, for example, do absolutely nothing for me. Still, even admitting my basketball favoritism, Wilt's 100 game at #16 seems low to me, considering it will never be beat. I think it's really hurt by the lack of footage.

I also think if we're talking cultural significance as well as sporting significance, Taking a Stand at #44 is too low as well. And not just because an Aussie co-stars on the podium.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:34 AM   #13
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Butler's name will be forgotten long before the image of Chastain in her sports bra leaves our collective memory.

I've seen more exciting images of women with and without sports bras. It's hardly controversial for women to exercise without anything over these bras.

What makes the moment? Does anyone remember the opponent? How many people care about the sport - especially when the US women are usually the world's best?

In Butler's case, no, his name won't be remembered. I even conflated the unusual spelling of the first name with the previous year's Super Bowl MVP. But that was an unexpected play that completely changed the biggest sporting event in the world in 2015. I'll always remember that play as one of the greatest in my sports viewing experience.

I'm not all that big on Chamberlain's 100, simply because it seems artificial, like an exhibition. The record won't be broken not because of skill, but because for a team to try and get that far would display a lack of sportsmanship consistent with today's game.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:18 AM   #14
digamma
Torchbearer

Jim,
It was the first time almost 100,000 people jammed into the Rose Bowl to watch a women's sporting event. Pretty sure a generation of girls remember it vividly. Way more than any number of Super Bowl winning plays (personally, I'd vote for Santonio Holmes being lower).

I think you can rank things based on a couple of criteria. One is impact. I think the Chastain moment wins there, in the same way (though admittedly with less impact) that the Jackie Robinson or Jesse Owens or even Tiger Woods moments do. The second is what all call the "wow, you were there!" factor. Being at Super Bowl 49 is a cool story, but in 20 years, I don't see it as being more special than any Super Bowl. The women's World Cup doesn't score as big on this scale, but I still think it's a better story to be there than SB49.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:24 AM   #15
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
I've seen more exciting images of women with and without sports bras. It's hardly controversial for women to exercise without anything over these bras.

What makes the moment? Does anyone remember the opponent? How many people care about the sport - especially when the US women are usually the world's best?

In Butler's case, no, his name won't be remembered. I even conflated the unusual spelling of the first name with the previous year's Super Bowl MVP. But that was an unexpected play that completely changed the biggest sporting event in the world in 2015. I'll always remember that play as one of the greatest in my sports viewing experience.

You serious, Clark?

USA women v. China in the Women's World Cup Final, 1999, in the Rose Bowl. That's off the top of my head without looking it up. And that was as a casual soccer fan at best at the time.

I won't even remember Malcolm Butler's name in another year.

And the day after International Women's Day, too.

Last edited by Butter : 03-09-2016 at 06:24 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:12 AM   #16
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
You serious, Clark?

USA women v. China in the Women's World Cup Final, 1999, in the Rose Bowl. That's off the top of my head without looking it up. And that was as a casual soccer fan at best at the time.

I won't even remember Malcolm Butler's name in another year.

And the day after International Women's Day, too.

+1

Yeah Im 1,000,000x the football fan I am of soccer. But I happened to be watching that one and can tell you exactly where I was at the moment. Has nothing to do with the shirt coming off and everything to do with the kick going in...the shirt off celebration just adds to the visual memory.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:17 AM   #17
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I'm with Butter and CU Tiger. I actually think the Chastain moment is ranked TOO low. It was a massive moment that isn't on par with the incredible upset of the Miracle on Ice, but a very similar feel.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:31 AM   #18
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

This isn't even on the list: 1999 UEFA Champions League Final - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:34 AM   #19
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
How many people care about the sport

USA-Japan Women's World Cup final shatters American TV ratings record | SI.com
Old 03-09-2016, 10:52 AM   #20
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
WHOOOOSH
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:52 AM   #21
nol
Banned

Jim with the hot takes straight outta 1994 ITT. How come nobody ever pays attention to the sporting accomplishments of men?! They're bigger and stronger after all.

And what's up with the Miracle on Ice? Gretzky was better than any of those college schlubs, and the USA still had to play the gold medal game. Overrated.

Jesse Owens at #3? What the hell! Pretty sure his times wouldn't qualify him for the Olympic finals these days. Yawn.

Last edited by nol : 03-09-2016 at 10:57 AM.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:58 AM   #22
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Bird's steal seems like it should be on there.

Old 03-09-2016, 11:01 AM   #23
korme
Go Reds

I see where Jim is coming from. That Malcolm Butler play is going to live forever. People saying you'll forget his name, please. He's a fine cornerback, first, and secondly do we forget the name David Tyree?
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:06 AM   #24
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Most of us have already forgotten the name Malcolm Butler, FWIW. I had no idea who that was. I think Tyree is much more memorable because that amazing catch came in a game where an undefeated team was defeated in the Super Bowl (which has never happened).
Old 03-09-2016, 11:11 AM   #25
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
I see where Jim is coming from. That Malcolm Butler play is going to live forever. People saying you'll forget his name, please. He's a fine cornerback, first, and secondly do we forget the name David Tyree?

Is he though? Or is he just going to end up like that guy from Dallas that intercepted Neil O'Donnell twice in that one Super Bowl, whose name I have forgotten... and who ended up being celebrated as a great quite wrongly.

Last edited by Butter : 03-09-2016 at 11:12 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:30 AM   #26
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
People saying you'll forget his name, please. He's a fine cornerback, first, and secondly do we forget the name David Tyree?

If you're the kind of person who only watches the Super Bowl, those details surely would've slipped your mind by now.

Conversely, a bunch of people still remember the details of Brandi Chastain's goal 16 years later despite probably not watching much women's soccer outside of the World Cup (and in my case it's probably even less frequently than that).
Old 03-09-2016, 11:35 AM   #27
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Most of us have already forgotten the name Malcolm Butler, FWIW. I had no idea who that was. I think Tyree is much more memorable because that amazing catch came in a game where an undefeated team was defeated in the Super Bowl (which has never happened).

Agreed, I still remember Tyree's name, but I had forgotten Butler's name until it was mentioned by Jim here.

Old 03-09-2016, 11:40 AM   #28
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I think that the US winning the Women's World Cup was a huge event, and the Chastain reaction is what made it truly memorable. Much in the same way that Gibson pumping his arm as he rounded second after the home run, or Jordan's jump after hitting the shot against the Cavs makes a moment memorable. Or an announcer's call, like Al Michaels' Miracle on Ice call, Lundquist's call of Tiger's chip shot on 16 at the Masters, or the track call of Secretariat at the Belmont. It is the combination of the event and the reaction that makes things memorable. Remove the reactions, and things aren't as special.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 12:08 PM   #29
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Or indeed: Alex Ferugson - Football, bloody hell.wmv - YouTube
Old 03-09-2016, 12:37 PM   #30
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Is he though? Or is he just going to end up like that guy from Dallas that intercepted Neil O'Donnell twice in that one Super Bowl, whose name I have forgotten... and who ended up being celebrated as a great quite wrongly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post
If you're the kind of person who only watches the Super Bowl, those details surely would've slipped your mind by now.

I think I found 3 broken sarcasm meters
Old 03-09-2016, 12:50 PM   #31
JeeberD
General Manager

It's good to see the Texas Western Miners at #23 on the list during the 50th anniversary season of their championship.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 12:51 PM   #32
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post

Why do you think he's being sarcastic? I think we all remember the name David Tyree after all.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:55 PM   #33
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post

I think we found one MENSA member.

that would be an example of what's known as sarcasm

But to recalibrate everyone's sarcasm meter, my examples with Jesse Owens and the 1980 Olympic hockey team were a send-up of what someone who doesn't realize that sometimes sporting events can have a lasting cultural and/or political impact would say if they applied Jim's supposedly neutral scrutiny across the board rather than just to the highest-ranked women's sporting event.

Last edited by nol : 03-09-2016 at 02:17 PM.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:13 PM   #34
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Jim,
It was the first time almost 100,000 people jammed into the Rose Bowl to watch a women's sporting event. Pretty sure a generation of girls remember it vividly. Way more than any number of Super Bowl winning plays (personally, I'd vote for Santonio Holmes being lower).

I think you can rank things based on a couple of criteria. One is impact. I think the Chastain moment wins there, in the same way (though admittedly with less impact) that the Jackie Robinson or Jesse Owens or even Tiger Woods moments do. The second is what all call the "wow, you were there!" factor. Being at Super Bowl 49 is a cool story, but in 20 years, I don't see it as being more special than any Super Bowl. The women's World Cup doesn't score as big on this scale, but I still think it's a better story to be there than SB49.

The argument is more about symbolic importance, then, which is fine. The match itself was poorly played compared to other games in the same Cup. And shootouts are a terrible way to decide soccer tournaments. Maybe that's why it remains the most-watched (and apparently remembered) women's soccer match despite there being so many better efforts since. You could argue that the quality of this particular match was so bad that it caused serious harm to the sport.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:33 PM   #35
nol
Banned

Quote:
The argument is more about symbolic importance, then, which is fine. The match itself was poorly played compared to other games in the same Cup. And shootouts are a terrible way to decide soccer tournaments. Maybe that's why it remains the most-watched (and apparently remembered) women's soccer match despite there being so many better efforts since. You could argue that the quality of this particular match was so bad that it caused serious harm to the sport.

Just wait until Jim finds out that Jackie Robinson went 0-3 in his first game.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:37 PM   #36
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Just wait until Jim finds out that Jackie Robinson went 0-3 in his first game.

LOL!

One can, btw, argue that the popularity of the Women's World Cup Final, with the super packed Rose Bowl, the shootout and the Chastain moment (which found its way on the covers of many a magazine, including Sports Illustrated) may have saved soccer in the US. Soccer in the US got quite a boost from the 1994 World Cup, but the MLS (which started a year later) ratings and attendance were poor by 1999. Two teams would soon fold after all. And the US Men's Soccer Team had an absolutely horrible showing in the 1998 World Cup. It is arguable that the 1999 Women's World Cup gave soccer in the US a shot in the arm when it needed it the most, even though the men's game is not directly associated with the women's game.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:37 PM   #37
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I feel like the list should have Bobby Knight throwing a chair.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:57 PM   #38
nol
Banned

Quote:
One can, btw, argue that the popularity of the Women's World Cup Final, with the super packed Rose Bowl, the shootout and the Chastain moment (which found its way on the covers of many a magazine, including Sports Illustrated) may have saved soccer in the US. Soccer in the US got quite a boost from the 1994 World Cup, but the MLS (which started a year later) ratings and attendance were poor by 1999. Two teams would soon fold after all. And the US Men's Soccer Team had an absolutely horrible showing in the 1998 World Cup. It is arguable that the 1999 Women's World Cup gave soccer in the US a shot in the arm when it needed it the most, even though the men's game is not directly associated with the women's game.

Yeah, there have been better showings since then specifically because the event legitimized women's team sports in America and likely across the world by providing such a high-profile example of females competing athletically at a high level without having to be regarded as "butch" or non-feminine while also not being ogled as sex objects.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:05 PM   #39
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I think we found one MENSA member.

that would be an example of what's known as sarcasm

But to recalibrate everyone's sarcasm meter, my examples with Jesse Owens and the 1980 Olympic hockey team were a send-up of what someone who doesn't realize that sometimes sporting events can have a lasting cultural and/or political impact would say if they applied Jim's supposedly neutral scrutiny across the board rather than just to the highest-ranked women's sporting event.

If korme's post was sincere and not sarcastic, then...
I just dont know what to say.

If "fine corner back" is the standard for live forever...well that list needs to grow exponentially.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:10 PM   #40
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:

Sorry, but you're making a ridiculous conclusion based on some really bizarre logic. The way to measure the effect of a landmark event on a sport wouldn't be to measure the event against how it performed in the years afterward. You'd instead want to measure the years before the event against the years after the event.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:19 PM   #41
Logan
Head Coach

Yeah no offense Jim, but your response is like when my wife catches me in a stupid white lie and I try and ramble my way out of it.

Pretty sure Jesse Owens at #3, and Jackie at #2 as was pointed out, was very much about symbolic importance as well.

Last edited by Logan : 03-09-2016 at 03:20 PM.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:21 PM   #42
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Sorry, but you're making a ridiculous conclusion based on some really bizarre logic. The way to measure the effect of a landmark event on a sport wouldn't be to measure the event against how it performed in the years afterward. You'd instead want to measure the years before the event against the years after the event.

I get your point, this is about symbolism rather than specific great sports achievements. What's important to you is the lead-up to the event rather than the event itself.

But most of the people attracted by that lead-up never tuned in again. It was that bad.

And by your logic, where are Tanya and Nancy on this list?
Old 03-09-2016, 03:22 PM   #43
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
And by your logic, where are Tanya and Nancy on this list?

Because normal people wouldn't consider premeditated assault on another person to be a "great" event?
Old 03-09-2016, 03:27 PM   #44
nol
Banned

Quote:
But most of the people attracted by that lead-up never tuned in again. It was that bad.

I couldn't tell you the last time I even saw highlights of a hockey match, let alone an actual one (and I'm sure that viewership numbers and the fact that NHL games are on God knows what channel bears my specific case out on a larger level), but I'm not shitting on the significance of the Miracle on Ice.

Last edited by nol : 03-09-2016 at 03:29 PM.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:29 PM   #45
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
I get your point, this is about symbolism rather than specific great sports achievements. What's important to you is the lead-up to the event rather than the event itself.

Um, no. My point is that people who never tuned in before that event continued to tune in after that event. That is the mark of a successful and influential event.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:31 PM   #46
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Yeah no offense Jim, but your response is like when my wife catches me in a stupid white lie and I try and ramble my way out of it.

Pretty sure Jesse Owens at #3, and Jackie at #2 as was pointed out, was very much about symbolic importance as well.

I'm not denying that symbolic importance is relevant to this list, I just have a hard time equating the racism of baseball's self-imposed ban on black players, for example, with this. Seems like apples and oranges to me. No one was trying to stop women from playing soccer.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:32 PM   #47
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Um, no. My point is that people who never tuned in before that event continued to tune in after that event. That is the mark of a successful and influential event.

That is true... look at the ratings for the US matches in the Women's World Cup last year.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:37 PM   #48
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
I'm not denying that symbolic importance is relevant to this list, I just have a hard time equating the racism of baseball's self-imposed ban on black players, for example, with this. Seems like apples and oranges to me. No one was trying to stop women from playing soccer.

Well, when you reduce the moment to "a chick took off her shirt and she was wearing a sports bra. Heh heh, boner!" it sort of shows what women's sports are up against.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 03:46 PM   #49
oykib
College Starter

Quote:

Count me in as someone who thinks that was an overrated moment. I had the same argument back then when the USWNT was made the Sportsman of the year. I found it absurd. They were the overwhelming favorite-- playing at home. The barely squeaked through after a dull, poorly played match. There were much greater sports stories that year.

It seemed like a bunch of people falling all over themselves to show how progressive they were. I remember getting into an argument with a couple of women at work about it. My response was asking how many of the games of the tournament they had seen. I had watched all the women's knockout stage matches for the US, which was more than all of them combined.

Ask ten people and three couldn't tell you the US goalkeeper's name. I think if it was a major event, most sports fans should be able to tell you the major players.

Last edited by oykib : 03-09-2016 at 03:47 PM.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 03:53 PM   #50
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Well, when you reduce the moment to "a chick took off her shirt and she was wearing a sports bra. Heh heh, boner!" it sort of shows what women's sports are up against.

Yeah, quite the opposite. I'd argue that's what SI was trying to do by endlessly hyping that particular image. Now, 17 years later, they want to claim some sort of noble "women's sports" motivation.

I do follow the sport and don't have to look up Brianna Scurry's name.