Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-31-2015, 12:13 PM   #1
Galaril
Pro Starter

New Job opportunity advice

So, I have seen others pose similar questions here in the past and figured why not. I am in the "cyber security " space currently at a Director level role with a great global tech company. I am the CISO (Chief Info Security Officer) in function but not title and certainly not pay. The current company treats me well and I do think my compensation is fair but probably slightly low for my area of responsibility. I do like my boss but my team is a work in progress with funding drying up from HQs recently. We also have a new CIO coming on board who has a track record of outsourcing and that has some folks here nervous.
I have only been with this company two years but feel the promises made to me when I came onboard to build the information program and team have not been followed through by my senior management. In fact lately, I have started to feel I being set up to fail though not purposely.

Anyways, so the other day out of the blue I was contacted by this large exec search firm that is representing a client firm. This client of theirs is very interested in speaking with me after finding me on Linkedin profiles searches. They have a very interesting role they are trying fill that exactly in my wheelhouse and the same thing I am doing now but that is VP level position. The compensation therefore is nearly double what I am making now. I have gone through the initial interviews and it still looks very promising. I suspect an offer will be made at some point in the weeks to come that is going to be a 60% increase over my existing compensation with most of it being salary not bonus. I do feel a little guilt bailing on my current company. That being said this the opportunity I have looking for a few years a VP level position in my field with a chance to be successful building a program with some funding for it. Also, as I just went through a divorce 2 years ago and still am in Alimony hell for four more years this job would help me get back on track and clear out old debt like student loans, car payments and set my kids up for college too.......This is all slightly presumptive as they have not yet offered my the job but as I said I feel extremely confident in an offer and what to start think if I want to pursue it. I guess the only downside is I am leaving the "relative" comfort and maybe security of the known situation and jumping off into the unknown. I am curious what others would do though I know in the end it a decision I can make. Take the money or not?;-)

Last edited by Galaril : 07-31-2015 at 12:18 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 12:24 PM   #2
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I mean, do your due diligence that the place isn't a disaster and you are comfortable with what will be expected of you there. But at the 60%-100% level, I take the money.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 12:26 PM   #3
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
I mean, do your due diligence that the place isn't a disaster and you are comfortable with what will be expected of you there. But at the 60%-100% level, I take the money.

Jeff,

Great point. I am speaking with a few individuals around the industry that no them to be sure they aren't a dumpster fire. Role wise it does match what I do and am passionate about just on a larger scale. Thanks.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:36 PM   #4
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
So, I have seen others pose similar questions here in the past and figured why not. I am in the "cyber security " space currently at a Director level role with a great global tech company. I am the CISO (Chief Info Security Officer) in function but not title and certainly not pay. The current company treats me well and I do think my compensation is fair but probably slightly low for my area of responsibility. I do like my boss but my team is a work in progress with funding drying up from HQs recently. We also have a new CIO coming on board who has a track record of outsourcing and that has some folks here nervous.
I have only been with this company two years but feel the promises made to me when I came onboard to build the information program and team have not been followed through by my senior management. In fact lately, I have started to feel I being set up to fail though not purposely.

Anyways, so the other day out of the blue I was contacted by this large exec search firm that is representing a client firm. This client of theirs is very interested in speaking with me after finding me on Linkedin profiles searches. They have a very interesting role they are trying fill that exactly in my wheelhouse and the same thing I am doing now but that is VP level position. The compensation therefore is nearly double what I am making now. I have gone through the initial interviews and it still looks very promising. I suspect an offer will be made at some point in the weeks to come that is going to be a 60% increase over my existing compensation with most of it being salary not bonus. I do feel a little guilt bailing on my current company. That being said this the opportunity I have looking for a few years a VP level position in my field with a chance to be successful building a program with some funding for it. Also, as I just went through a divorce 2 years ago and still am in Alimony hell for four more years this job would help me get back on track and clear out old debt like student loans, car payments and set my kids up for college too.......This is all slightly presumptive as they have not yet offered my the job but as I said I feel extremely confident in an offer and what to start think if I want to pursue it. I guess the only downside is I am leaving the "relative" comfort and maybe security of the known situation and jumping off into the unknown. I am curious what others would do though I know in the end it a decision I can make. Take the money or not?;-)

Unless you're keeping something from the details above, I think you should take the job if offered.

I kept reading through your post, expecting the other side to come out, the big question mark, and to be frank, I never got one.

Presuming the company is not a dumpster fire, as stated, and doesn't call for you to move to Nome, Alaska, I don't see the downside.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 12:58 PM   #5
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Unless you're keeping something from the details above, I think you should take the job if offered.

I kept reading through your post, expecting the other side to come out, the big question mark, and to be frank, I never got one.

Presuming the company is not a dumpster fire, as stated, and doesn't call for you to move to Nome, Alaska, I don't see the downside.

Yeah there really doesn't at present seem to be much downside. The role is a bout 3 miles from my current job location. The only possible downside is leaving a job and org I know and moving to one at least at present don't. Another downside but am already dealing with it in my present role is they mention growing the team under me but marginally. I think that is reasonable as long as I can believe they really mean it.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:07 PM   #6
Izulde
Head Coach

The incoming CIO who outsources is setting off alarm bells for me, personally. I can just see a major trainwreck resulting. I also would be taking the offer if one comes through, so long as no dumpster fire red flag, like others have said.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 02:13 PM   #7
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Since you don't have to relocate, take the money. However do not expect anything to be different at your new job in any meaningful way. Only the details will vary. Expect a bigger paycheck but nothing more and you will not be disappointed.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 02:39 PM   #8
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

+5

Looks like very little downside, especially with the pay bump to offset any inconveniences.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 02:42 PM   #9
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Like others have said, there's nothing you've said about the new opportunity that raises a red flag. Sounds like you should seriously consider it, and then go out and buy more games with all that cash!!!
PadresFan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 03:44 PM   #10
chesapeake
College Starter

You mentioned LinkedIn -- that is a great tool to find people you know who happen to know people that can give you good advice. Before I took the job I'm in now, I was able to used LinkedIn to find several people who either personally knew the individuals I would be working for or had contacts that did. Several of these folks were wiling to give me fairly straight answers about the people I'd be working for and with. It really helped me to make my decision as to which offer I took.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:02 PM   #11
Galaril
Pro Starter

Thanks all great advice and mostly my thoughts as well.

Last edited by Galaril : 07-31-2015 at 07:02 PM.
Old 07-31-2015, 07:32 PM   #12
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Best wishes. Seems like you've had a bunch of setbacks over the last few years so hopefully this is a big +1 for you.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:40 PM   #13
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Best wishes. Seems like you've had a bunch of setbacks over the last few years so hopefully this is a big +1 for you.

Steve thanks for the well wish and yes about a two years ago I went through some rough times but have rebounded really well and even without this current opportunity life is fantastic .
Old 07-31-2015, 09:46 PM   #14
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

No brainer.
Take it.
At double the salary, if it IS a dumpster fire suck it up for a year, then take a year vacation and be right where you would be if you stayed where you are for two years.

I know the math is simple, but re read that. If the numbers are where you expect that is the definition of an offer you can't refuse.

Last edited by CU Tiger : 07-31-2015 at 09:47 PM.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:32 AM   #15
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGiants View Post
Since you don't have to relocate, take the money. However do not expect anything to be different at your new job in any meaningful way. Only the details will vary. Expect a bigger paycheck but nothing more and you will not be disappointed.
I think this is important. You have to expect different things that are frustrating/difficult to deal with at your new company. I am guessing this would be especially true as at a new corporate level you'll have pressures/corporate politics you didn't at a lower level.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:20 AM   #16
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
I think this is important. You have to expect different things that are frustrating/difficult to deal with at your new company. I am guessing this would be especially true as at a new corporate level you'll have pressures/corporate politics you didn't at a lower level.

Actually I was already dealing with alot corp politics at both my current job and the previous one so this is something I have become accustomed too. But yes, I agree there will like any new job be some new challenges which is fine.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:45 AM   #17
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Pretty much a no brainer if new company is not a hellhole.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote