Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-09-2018, 08:11 PM   #1
miami_fan
Coordinator

The NBA 2018 Offseason Thread

OFFSEASON TIME!

There are still two HC positions open in Detroit and Toronto.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 10:06 PM   #2
MrBug708
Head Coach

Landon? Probably not, doesn't make sense with Lebron chasing rings still
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 08:19 PM   #3
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Anybody else see this? J.J. Hickson accused of a home invasion / armed robbery.

https://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/...FFXT4CwUxecrL/
Old 06-26-2018, 09:55 PM   #4
miami_fan
Coordinator

LA Clippers send Austin Rivers to Washington Wizards for center Marcin Gortat

Adding the personality of Austin Rivers to the Wall/Beal combo is at least interesting.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Morris twin. Should be good times.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 06-27-2018, 02:07 AM   #5
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Gonna miss Austin Rivers.

Wait, no, no I won't.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 03:05 AM   #6
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I always thought that playing for a coach with a kid on the team and a daughter who bangs players would make for a weird ass dynamic.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:01 PM   #7
Subby
lolzcat

I hate the Wizards GM but I like that he was able to move Gortat without giving up assets. Rivers is deservedly maligned, but he is a good scorer and an excellent option of the bench. Be interesting to see how Troy Brown develops, but I like that the Wiz are stocking up on 3 and D dudes like Oubre, Porter, Satoransky, etc..
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 05:48 AM   #8
Dantooine98
n00b

where do you think Lebron will end up? I think he'll stay in Cleveland.
Dantooine98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 06:26 AM   #9
Groundhog
Coordinator

I say this as a Cavs fan - I hope LeBron creates a superteam somewhere and racks up 3 or 4 titles. If it's Cleveland, great. If it's not, completely understand.
Old 06-29-2018, 06:46 AM   #10
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I say this as a Cavs fan - I hope LeBron creates a superteam somewhere and racks up 3 or 4 titles. If it's Cleveland, great. If it's not, completely understand.

Hopefully in Philly!
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 05:31 PM   #11
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Dante Exum could be a nice signing for someone. Offer him a full midlevel and see if the Jazz match. He's been hurt a lot, but he's only 22.
Old 06-29-2018, 06:08 PM   #12
miami_fan
Coordinator

Somebody (see Dallas) is really going to pay DeAndre Jordan more than $24 million this offseason?

Hmph
Old 06-29-2018, 06:25 PM   #13
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Dante Exum could be a nice signing for someone. Offer him a full midlevel and see if the Jazz match. He's been hurt a lot, but he's only 22.

I don't think he's ever going to be the player I thought he would be after his junior performances for our national team, but if he can hit .400 of his 3s and play lock down D while staying healthy he's going to be in the NBA a long time. The 'staying healthy' part is the real wildcard.
Old 06-30-2018, 03:22 AM   #14
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Didn’t he only have a freak shoulder injury and an ACL tear?
?
Old 06-30-2018, 02:05 PM   #15
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Somebody (see Dallas) is really going to pay DeAndre Jordan more than $24 million this offseason?

Hmph

Yea my thought as well. I love DJ, one of my favorite players to root for in the league, but I have no idea what he and his agent are thinking there.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 06-30-2018, 02:09 PM   #16
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Didn’t he only have a freak shoulder injury and an ACL tear?
?

When you have been in the league for four years but have played less than two seasons of games, freak injuries or not, that is something to question.

Old 06-30-2018, 07:32 PM   #17
Groundhog
Coordinator

Bogut was another Aussie who had no specific recurring injuries, just a series of freak injuries throughout his career that saw him miss tons of games. Not to the extent of Exum though.
Old 06-30-2018, 09:30 PM   #18
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

Hmph
Not for 2018-19, but if he wants to sign a multiyear contract with Dallas or somebody maybe that extra guaranteed money is worth lowering his potential.monetary ceiling. Or maybe he really is interested in signing with Golden State for a year then re-entering the market next summer when many more teams have cap space. He's always seemed like somebody who wants to be wanted, and once you've already earned $100 million I imagine it's a lot easier to look past strict dollar amounts when deciding your next job.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 06-30-2018 at 09:31 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 11:30 PM   #19
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Bogut was another Aussie who had no specific recurring injuries, just a series of freak injuries throughout his career that saw him miss tons of games. Not to the extent of Exum though.

Bogut, who broke his leg in the first few minutes of his first game with the Cavs in 2017? Naw, that guy's injury prone too. There are only so many "freak injuries" you can suffer before a pattern starts to emerge.

Old 07-01-2018, 12:28 AM   #20
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I just don't see how giving Chris Paul a four-year deal at 40 million dollars a year is a good idea
Old 07-01-2018, 12:41 AM   #21
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I just don't see how giving Chris Paul a four-year deal at 40 million dollars a year is a good idea

Just replace CP & 40 with Paul George & 30whatever and you've got my NBA thought of the night.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:53 AM   #22
miami_fan
Coordinator

I think both signings are defensible. The Rockets now have to trust their medical staff to get him though what six more playoff wins? If they are able to do that and win a title, all of the money on the back end is worth it.

The George signing is not the problem in OKC. It is not necessarily championship worthy but Westbrook/George/Adams is a pretty good core. The corpse of Melo, that is the problem. How many 1st rounders do you attached to Melo's contract to get him the hell out of OKC?

I am interested in what the Lakers do now. I will have to go back and take a look at what the proposed deals were for George were last year. The assumption of a 2018 deal with George being inevitable so why part with anything of value to get him in a 2017 trade with the Pacers seems to have backfired. How sure are they that Kawhi is going to LA in 2019?
Old 07-01-2018, 12:10 PM   #23
Calis
College Starter

Oddly as a Thunder fan I was more excited by the re-signing of Grant. I thought someone might take a chance and overpay him. Glad he stayed, and curious to see how he grows. I think he has pretty solid potential.

I was kind of hoping to see the Suns go after VanVleet. I thought he’d be a fun PG stopgap for them.. not sure I understand Ariza there that much.

I think I’ve reachsd the point where I’m tired of the Kawhi drama and just want that over with.

I’d love to see LeBron end up in Philly I think. I think that’s a team that’d be really interesting to watch.. although I still think Simmons and LeBron is an odd pairing. Could the Sixers afford to sign Redick also?
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 12:34 PM   #24
stevew
Hall Of Famer

sixers could probably try to trade Covington or Bayless(or stretch-cut bayless), and then use that money to sign JJ and LeBron. JJ would have to be renounced in order to make any kind of cap space but it's doable.

Last edited by stevew : 07-01-2018 at 12:35 PM.
Old 07-01-2018, 06:13 PM   #25
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Bogut, who broke his leg in the first few minutes of his first game with the Cavs in 2017? Naw, that guy's injury prone too. There are only so many "freak injuries" you can suffer before a pattern starts to emerge.

That's my point though. It's not like he had a degenerative knee condition or something - he just continuously picked up unrelated injuries that saw him miss extended time. I think he should have been playing about 15-20 lbs lighter than he did to match his style of play (in the Bucks days, anyway) - his build just increased his odds of injury. I think Exum is the same, but on the other end of the spectrum.
Old 07-01-2018, 06:17 PM   #26
Groundhog
Coordinator

I don't really see LeBron and Ben Simmons as a good match either. Simmons' numbers would fall through the floor.
Old 07-01-2018, 06:30 PM   #27
JPhillips
General Manager

And Markelle Fultz. I don't think there's enough ball for all of them, and the team would generally be very short of shooters.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:15 PM   #28
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Lebron reportedly to the Lakers.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 07:17 PM   #29
miami_fan
Coordinator

LeBron James joining Los Angeles Lakers on 4-year, $154 million deal
Old 07-01-2018, 07:22 PM   #30
Atocep
Coordinator

Unless the Spurs are ready to help out the Lakers I don't think this puts him much closer to a title than he was in Cleveland.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 07:34 PM   #31
Groundhog
Coordinator

If nothing else, it puts his run on Finals appearances in jeopardy. Strange signing, but I assume Lakers are about to pull the trigger on some other pieces now.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:34 PM   #32
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Unless the Spurs are ready to help out the Lakers I don't think this puts him much closer to a title than he was in Cleveland.

I agree. Paul George will be there also. So that may change thisngs a bit.

And coming out of the West is, obviously, wat more difficult. Im surprised he didnt go to Philly.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 07:37 PM   #33
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
If nothing else, it puts his run on Finals appearances in jeopardy. Strange signing, but I assume Lakers are about to pull the trigger on some other pieces now.

His previous moves made sense from a pure basketball standpoint. This seems to be more about maximizing his income as he gets toward the end of his career. He's stated his goal is to own a team one day and playing and marketing himself in LA is probably the best way to reach that goal.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 07:37 PM   #34
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post

And coming out of the West is, obviously, wat more difficult. Im surprised he didnt go to Philly.

PG13 already said he was staying in OKC
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 07:44 PM   #35
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
PG13 already said he was staying in OKC

Well so did DeAndre in 2015
Old 07-01-2018, 07:54 PM   #36
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post

They'll likely get Kawhi next year and have a pretty nice team.

Lebron has won 3 titles. He's getting older. And there is no team he could join (and get paid) that would come close to the Warriors. So now he gets to live in L.A., do movies and stuff, and make a lot of money.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:03 PM   #37
MrBug708
Head Coach

It's been awhile since the Lakers actually landed a big name in basketball FA
Old 07-01-2018, 08:29 PM   #38
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Hoping Gilbert melts down again and the board of governors forces him to sell the team.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:54 PM   #39
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Not sure what it means but heard that Leonard would resign with Philly if he is traded there. It wasn't a local story so I don't know what to make of it. If it was local I would write it off as just more wishful thinking.

Of course also hearing Lebron met with Philly today and may announce his decision tomorrow. The hopeful side of me wants both of those to be true.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:16 PM   #40
MrBug708
Head Coach

I doubt anybody truly knows what Kawhi would do, including resigning with Philly. He certainly isn't going to leak that out right now. It is kinda like the report that Klay would take less money to resign with US. His dad, a radio guy, laughed and said that ain't no source
Old 07-01-2018, 09:27 PM   #41
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Not sure what it means but heard that Leonard would resign with Philly if he is traded there. It wasn't a local story so I don't know what to make of it. If it was local I would write it off as just more wishful thinking.

Of course also hearing Lebron met with Philly today and may announce his decision tomorrow. The hopeful side of me wants both of those to be true.
Well, #2 is off the board.

And yeah, I doubt anyone outside Kawhi & his uncle know what he wants to do, and I'm not sure I'd trust his word even if he said it.

(PS I guess Dallas did offer the same $24m DeAndre Jordan turned down in his player option... and the NBA office will still pretend tampering doesn't happen )
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:31 PM   #42
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Lance Stevenson to the Lakers lol.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:37 PM   #43
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Cedi Osman has some big shoes to fill.
Old 07-01-2018, 10:21 PM   #44
bhlloy
Coordinator

Should be fun to see the first LeVar meltdown now it's not Lonzo's team
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 12:15 AM   #45
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Guess Lebron is tired of losing the finals, so he doesn't want to get anywhere near them.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 01:42 AM   #46
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I'm surprised he signed that long of a deal. That's the part to me that indicates his priorities aren't the same as they were. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 02:07 AM   #47
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Also: LeBron, Lance Stephenson, and Lonzo Ball on the same team(assuming no other deals shake that up). Oh, the books that are going to be written about this. Luke Walton's gonna earn his money.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 07-02-2018 at 02:07 AM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 03:23 AM   #48
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That's my point though. It's not like he had a degenerative knee condition or something - he just continuously picked up unrelated injuries that saw him miss extended time. I think he should have been playing about 15-20 lbs lighter than he did to match his style of play (in the Bucks days, anyway) - his build just increased his odds of injury. I think Exum is the same, but on the other end of the spectrum.

No, I get that. I'm taking a more macro look at it. Yes, perhaps all of Bogut's injuries are freak injuries, sure. But he gets a LOT of freak injuries. At some point, you have to stop talking about bad luck and start talking injury prone.

Old 07-02-2018, 07:08 AM   #49
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Hoping Gilbert melts down again and the board of governors forces him to sell the team.

I saw something where he a quote was attributed to him about being glad LeBron is leaving so he can get his team back.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:08 AM   #50
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:

I saw something where a quote was attributed to him about being glad LeBron is leaving so he can get his team back.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote