Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-09-2018, 03:48 PM   #51
PilotMan
Head Coach

There just seem to be so many penalties today. So many personal fouls for hits. So many that look like there was nothing that the defender could have done.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 04:05 PM   #52
JPhillips
General Manager

The Dunlap sack on Luck was really hard to see how he could have done anything differently.
Old 09-09-2018, 04:07 PM   #53
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
The Dunlap sack on Luck was really hard to see how he could have done anything differently.

Yeah, that one especially.

Like Steam?

Old 09-09-2018, 04:43 PM   #54
Thomkal
Head Coach

Color me not impressed with the new look Cardinals so far this season.
Old 09-09-2018, 04:48 PM   #55
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yup, just from watching RedZone I saw at least three of those landing on the QB penalties that were really soft. That’s going to cost a few teams games this year. Typical overreaction to a flagrant incident that injured a star player, the way the rule is written and they way they are calling it there is nothing these defensive players can do. Not sure how a 300lb defensive lineman is supposed to magically hold his weight off the QB when tackling him.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 04:57 PM   #56
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Yeah, that one especially.

I could have bought a ticky-tack helmet to the chin call, but that part of the sack was okay.
Old 09-09-2018, 05:12 PM   #57
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

is anyone else confused when the announcers dont talk about how beloved the cardinals are?

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:59 PM   #58
Groundhog
Coordinator

Just watched the highlights of the Browns-Steelers game. Talk about the most Browns-esque way to finish a game.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:16 PM   #59
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
is anyone else confused when the announcers dont talk about how beloved the cardinals are?

Wasn't much to be beloved there today.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:39 PM   #60
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I guess the "have your big lineman line up as a receiver and run up the middle" play is pretty good.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:15 PM   #61
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Looks like my 'over' for this Bears/Packers game is shot to hell.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:18 PM   #62
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Bears up 10, Rodgers is in the medical tent, not a good start to the Packer's season.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:20 PM   #63
PilotMan
Head Coach

I feel like the whole police/anthem/trump protests could be changed. It's gotten to the point, where people are over saturated with it. It might be more effective if football players, in every single interview, called out police brutality, the attacks of the president on the players, and the need for solutions, and do that, instead of talking about the game itself. I know they have a requirement to talk to the media, but it seems like it would be effective, and a way to keep the discussion pointed in the right direction.

Like Steam?

Old 09-09-2018, 08:22 PM   #65
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Or maybe football players can talk about something they're experienced with: football.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:26 PM   #66
Thomkal
Head Coach

So Packers fans feeling worse than Cards fans now I guess?
Old 09-09-2018, 08:30 PM   #68
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Khalil Mack, my goodness...
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:31 PM   #69
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

That was just the most low key .... "okay, I'll be taking the ball now. Thanks."
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:32 PM   #70
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Mack: "Dear Packers QB, may I have football?"
Packer QB: "Sure, I wasn't really doing anything with it anyways"
Mack: "K, thanks!"
Old 09-09-2018, 08:41 PM   #71
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Mack: "I enjoyed having the ball, can I have it again?"
Packer QB: "I don't see why not"
Old 09-09-2018, 08:42 PM   #72
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

That guy is a freaking beast out there.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:08 PM   #73
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Days like today give ammo to Drew Brees detractors and fans.

If you are a detractor, you point out that the guy is always in shootouts, which gives him opportunities to put up yards that other QBs don't have.

If you are a fan, you point out that if he had an average defense for his whole career, he'd average 12+ wins a season.

All of which is really just an intellectual exercise because Ryan Fitzpatrick is clearly the best QB in NFL history.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:09 PM   #76
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Stupid play to throw the ball there. Leave Rodgers more time. Is there any doubt whats about to happen?
Old 09-09-2018, 10:15 PM   #78
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Would be okay with a Bears winning FG. Just glad they reached 47 points.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:26 PM   #80
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Horrific play calling by the Bears there that last series. Two time outs and you only need a field goal and they throw all long passes. They have 4 downs to work with to get about 20 yards. How about a screen pass or a run to mix it up? Terrible ending.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:28 PM   #81
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Horrific play calling by the Bears there that last series. Two time outs and you only need a field goal and they throw all long passes. They have 4 downs to work with to get about 20 yards. How about a screen pass or a run to mix it up? Terrible ending.

Yeah, that made no sense.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:29 PM   #82
weegeebored
High School Varsity

When Rogers came back in, Fangio should have blitzed every down. Nope. All this talk about Nagy's offense and all of the weapons...ha! Nagy clearly needs more seasoning. His play calling in the 2nd half was atrocious. Meaningless dink passes to the outside; playing not to lose. Guess what? Losing teams figure out a way to lose and winning teams win. Simple.

Last edited by weegeebored : 09-09-2018 at 10:35 PM.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:30 PM   #83
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:

Yep, combined with too conservative an approach in third quarter and all kinds of struggles with third-and-short all night, and it was not a great debut for the new coach/playcaller in Chicago.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:34 PM   #84
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Chicago plays like I do in Madden.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:35 PM   #85
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Can you go back and look at what the lines were at the books that have betting throughout the game? What was the Packers' money line at the end of the first half?
Old 09-09-2018, 10:43 PM   #86
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Can you go back and look at what the lines were at the books that have betting throughout the game? What was the Packers' money line at the end of the first half?

I looked at one point on FanDuel and it was +600. Almost took it. Story of my gambling life.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:54 PM   #87
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegeebored View Post
When Rogers came back in, Fangio should have blitzed every down. Nope. All this talk about Nagy's offense and all of the weapons...ha! Nagy clearly needs more seasoning. His play calling in the 2nd half was atrocious. Meaningless dink passes to the outside; playing not to lose. Guess what? Losing teams figure out a way to lose and winning teams win. Simple.

Starts at the top. Pace is another in a long line of frauds who swindled the moron McCaskeys.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:02 AM   #88
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Quote:

HT line was a Pk, which I took when they said ARog was playing

I need some more outs that have the ML youre talking about though.

The +17 was a real feel good safety blankee.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:52 AM   #89
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Chicago plays like I do in Madden.

Welp, 2 mins left and I need to score, time to call Four Verticals every possession.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:25 AM   #90
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegeebored View Post
When Rogers came back in, Fangio should have blitzed every down.

Rodgers was 2 for 2 for 126 yards and a TD when the Bears blitzed.

Blitzing Rodgers never seems to work. Bears were just gassed in the 4th. Nagy's light training camp didn't seem to get the team conditioned for real football games.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:57 AM   #91
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Blitzing Rodgers never seems to work. Bears were just gassed in the 4th. Nagy's light training camp didn't seem to get the team conditioned for real football games.
Clearly not blitzing didn't work either. Agree about the conditioning -- all the more reason to blitz and try to get pressure on him. Rodgers just looked too comfortable back there for a guy taken off on a cart. That should never have happened.

Also agree with you about Pace, but this is what the Bears are under the McCaskey ownership. Mismanagement and poor football decisions are what they do.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:59 AM   #92
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Nagy's light training camp didn't seem to get the team conditioned for real football games.

For the Lions, the concern, at the moment, is the opposite. Apparently, Patricia's training camp was very, very hard. The hardest for any Lions team in a long time. There has been a lot written and discussed about the Lions poor performance in the pre-season due to the players being too worn down from the harsh training camp.

It will be interested to see how they look tonight. I will say, if things don't go well against the Jets and Darnold, things could be very, very ugly for this new regime quite quickly.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:27 AM   #93
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
For the Lions, the concern, at the moment, is the opposite. Apparently, Patricia's training camp was very, very hard. The hardest for any Lions team in a long time. There has been a lot written and discussed about the Lions poor performance in the pre-season due to the players being too worn down from the harsh training camp.

It will be interested to see how they look tonight. I will say, if things don't go well against the Jets and Darnold, things could be very, very ugly for this new regime quite quickly.

I expect Tuesday morning's story to be whether Sam Darnold has wrapped up the Rookie of the Year already.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:52 AM   #94
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Lots of talk today about the Saints D having communications issues yesterday, leading to blown coverages and big plays.

I think maybe the preseason pendulum has swung too far in favor of not playing starters. I get injury concerns, but guys need time to play together outside of comfortable practice situations.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:01 PM   #95
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
I expect Tuesday morning's story to be whether Sam Darnold has wrapped up the Rookie of the Year already.

The Lions faced Matt Ryan in his rookie debut. While Ryan didn't have a huge day number-wise, the Falcons did jump out to a 21-0 nothing first quarter lead and ended up winning 34-21. Auspicious beginnings!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:38 PM   #96
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Lots of talk today about the Saints D having communications issues yesterday, leading to blown coverages and big plays.

I think maybe the preseason pendulum has swung too far in favor of not playing starters. I get injury concerns, but guys need time to play together outside of comfortable practice situations.
Did the Saints have any joint practices this preseason like they had a few times in the past with the Patriots? Those always seemed like they helped more than the actual preseason games.

Also, what was the rationale behind the NFL changing regular season OT to 10 minutes? Did they claim it was for player safety?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:42 PM   #97
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Yes, player safety. It started last year.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:00 PM   #98
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Did the Saints have any joint practices this preseason like they had a few times in the past with the Patriots? Those always seemed like they helped more than the actual preseason games.

Also, what was the rationale behind the NFL changing regular season OT to 10 minutes? Did they claim it was for player safety?

I think that they did with the Texans and Chargers.

Maybe they needed to hook up with the Pats again, because yesterday was an embarrassment.
Old 09-10-2018, 05:25 PM   #99
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
If he fumbled it before breaking the plane, it would have been Giants ball since the fumble went out of bounds in the endzone. That's what they were challenging.

Which if they had eyes they could see that clearly wasn't the case.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:29 PM   #100
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post

Orrrrrrrrrr not?