Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-01-2003, 09:56 PM   #1
TroyF
Coordinator

Some Fantasy Football Advice?

I play in a full keeper league with a rookie draft every season. This is a 12 team league. I finished poorly thanks to some injuries and Daunte Culpepper's turnover problem. Due to a trade, I hold the #5 and #6 picks in the draft. Here is a quick overview of my team:

DB- Ahmed Plummer, Roy Williams, Tank Williams, Duane Stark, Tyrone Williams, Lamont Thompson

DL- Jason Taylor, Trevor Pryce, Chad Bratzke, Eric Hicks

LB- Al Wilson, Lavar Arrington, Ben Leber, Duane Rudd, Chris Clairborne

OL- Who cares, I'm not drafting an O-Line in the first round.

QB- Daunte Culpepper, Jake Plummer

RB- Clinton Portis, Charlie Garner, Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson

TE- Algae Crumpler

WR- Randy Moss, Josh Reed, Keyshon Johnson, Jabar Gaffney, Marcus Robinson

K-P- Who cares, I'm not drafting one early.

------------------------------

The guy I want? Leftwich. I doubt he slips to 5. I'm trying to trade up or down. Would you give both #1's for Leftwich? Should I keep the picks and take Willis M. + another guy in the hopes he becomes something?

TroyF

Quick Edit, I can play 1RB + 4WR, so having 3 RB's isn't a critical thing.

Last edited by TroyF : 05-01-2003 at 09:57 PM.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 09:58 PM   #2
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

How many slots do you have? McGhee won't see the field this year. How about one of the WR's?
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 11:57 PM   #3
TroyF
Coordinator

I have a full 45 man roster to work with. I can draft any spot. I'm guessing Palmer, Rogers, and Johnson are locks to be gone by the time I pick. That leaves Leftwich, Suggs or ??? at #4, then my picks.

TroyF
Old 05-02-2003, 12:44 AM   #4
General Mike
Pro Starter

I don't know if I'd trade up to get Leftwich, since I don't think he's a huge improvement over Culpepper. If he's there at 5 take him, but I wouldn't trade up for him. With the 2nd pick I think I'd take Suggs if hes around, or Robertson from Kentucky.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 06:37 AM   #5
QuikSand
lolzcat

Does the scoring system used in your league play any role in the advice you're seeking/receiving?

I have yet to play in a league using individual defensive players where they were of any real value - but your structure seems globally different than any I have seen. But without details, I don't see how anyone can judge whether another QB is a good move for you.

Good luck anyway.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 07:29 AM   #6
Samdari
Roster Filler

Yeah, what stats do you use for offesnsive linemen?
Old 05-02-2003, 10:58 AM   #7
TroyF
Coordinator

OK, offensive lineman get points based off the TEAM stats. In other words, it's better to have a crappy offensive lineman on the Bills than Ogden of the Ravens.

Here are the leaders in points by position from last year:

DB- Rod Woodson 18.43 points per week (Roy Williams came in 2nd by the way)
DL- Jason Taylor 22.31
LB- Brian Urlacher 22.62
OL- any Chiefs starting OL - 20.25
QB- Rich Gannon 42.75 (Culpepper finished fourth at 33 points per game)
RB- Preist Holmes - 34.12 points per game (only 4 backs finished above 25 average points per week) I actually had the 4th and 5th ranked backs in the league with Portis and Garner.
WR- Marvin Harrison - 25 points per week
TE- Tony Gonzales - 16 points per week
K- Martin Gramatica - 21 points per week
P- Chad Stanley - 17.03 points per week.

As you can see, QB's are by far the highest point getters. I could use an extra RB if I could find a good one. Could always use more good defensive players, but DT's don't help a lot (defensive players get points for tackles, sacks, passes deflected/batted down, int's, forced fumbles, fumble recoveries, TD's and safeties)

TroyF

Last edited by TroyF : 05-02-2003 at 11:09 AM.
Old 05-02-2003, 11:05 AM   #8
Craptacular
College Starter

Wow, a fantasy team with 45-man rosters?
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 11:05 AM   #9
Hammer755
High School Varsity

Looks to me like you need another Williams in the secondary. Might I suggest Brandon from Michigan or Chris from Virginia, or Rosie out of Eastern Illinois.
Old 05-02-2003, 11:11 AM   #10
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

well Bryant Johnson will almost certainly start for Arizona. He's worth some serious consideration
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 11:11 AM   #11
vtbub
College Starter

Unless the Jags trade Brunell, Suggs would be able to help you sooner then Leftwhich

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 11:12 AM   #12
TroyF
Coordinator

Hammer,

LOL. Last year I had the #10 and 11 picks in the first round. I picked Roy Williams and Clinton Portis. I picked Josh Reed in the second round. My last two picks in rounds 6 and 7 were Tank Williams and Mike Williams. 3 Williams in one draft to join Tyrone on the team. Not an intentional thing.

Crap,

Actually, it's a 53 man roster. We have practive squads.

www.efsports.com

TroyF
Old 05-02-2003, 11:15 AM   #13
TroyF
Coordinator

VTbub,

True. Problem is, I don't know if he lasts until my pick. I have this as a 4 player draft - Leftwich, Suggs, and the two WR. If either Suggs or Leftwich falls, I can take that guy #5 and then take a flyer with the #6. If both are gone, I have no idea what I'll do. I'm not that big of a fan of Carson Palmer or Kyle Boller. Maybe Polamalu?

TroyF
Old 05-02-2003, 11:15 AM   #14
Craptacular
College Starter

I have enough trouble finding friends willing to spend the time on a 12-player non-keeper league. I haven't even played FF the last two years. You guys are nuts!
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 11:19 AM   #15
vtbub
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by TroyF
VTbub,

True. Problem is, I don't know if he lasts until my pick. I have this as a 4 player draft - Leftwich, Suggs, and the two WR. If either Suggs or Leftwich falls, I can take that guy #5 and then take a flyer with the #6. If both are gone, I have no idea what I'll do. I'm not that big of a fan of Carson Palmer or Kyle Boller. Maybe Polamalu?

TroyF

He would start this year, I also imagine that the plethora of d-line drafted were not drafted to sit around for a year. Boller seems like he'd get some time, how about the cb from KSU?

Old 05-02-2003, 11:24 AM   #16
TroyF
Coordinator

Newman is a consideration, but CB's rarely post big numbers. (not a lot of tackles, the good ones don't get a lot of INT's either)

Safties are usually the tackling machines, which gets you consistent points week in, week out.

TroyF
Old 05-02-2003, 11:27 AM   #17
vtbub
College Starter

When's your draft?

Old 05-02-2003, 11:27 AM   #18
mrsimperless
College Prospect

Dallas Clark (TE, Colts) might not be a bad guy to pick up. Not sure how Crumpler did last year, but I don't remember him being outstanding. Maybe you could trade down for Clark? I suspect the Colts will utilize him substantially this year.
Old 05-02-2003, 11:39 AM   #19
TroyF
Coordinator

VT,

Starts next week.

Mrsimperless,

I've thought about him a lot. I agree, he could be a good pickup.

Troy
Old 05-02-2003, 12:48 PM   #20
revrew
Team Chaplain

Quote:
Originally posted by mrsimperless
Dallas Clark (TE, Colts) might not be a bad guy to pick up. Not sure how Crumpler did last year, but I don't remember him being outstanding. Maybe you could trade down for Clark? I suspect the Colts will utilize him substantially this year.

I'm not sure about this year, what with his blocking being subpar. But in a year or two I expect this young man to lead NFL TEs in receptions and yds. That is, if Manning can figure out how to throw the ball to anyone besides Harrison.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 12:52 PM   #21
TroyF
Coordinator

rev,

This is a keeper league, so he may be worth it at Pick #6. (I'll pray Leftwich or Suggs slips to #5, then the #6 could be spent on the future.

TroyF
Old 05-02-2003, 02:52 PM   #22
Samdari
Roster Filler

Well, as for the QB's Troy, all of them are behind established starters, except Boller. Except he stinks, so you don't want him. If you are looking for the guy who has the chance to make the most positive impact this year, look for good 'ole reliable Kordell Stewart to hand the job to Grossman by midseason. As for long term, I would have to say Leftwich, and he looks to be starting by next season.

For players who will make an immediate impact, I agree with everyone on Palomalu. A couple of sleepers you may want to consider are George Foster (Denver had good OL stats, right?) or Taylor Jacobs.

Please, though, explain more about the league. Do you keep a player forever once you draft him, unless you cut or trade him? Or do you only get to carry X number of players from season to season. Details, details, I am fascinated by this.
Old 05-02-2003, 02:56 PM   #23
Samdari
Roster Filler

dolabumbnospaces
Old 05-04-2003, 01:56 PM   #24
TroyF
Coordinator

Sam,

Sorry, never saw the post.

We have a salary cap in the league. If you can afford to keep the player, he's yours forever. That's what makes it difficult, if I don't get Leftwich now, I may NEVER get Leftwich.

The entire roster carries over from season to season with a free agency period (with draft picks as compensation for good players)

The website and rules are at www.efsports.com It's 65 bucks a year, but it's the most fun I've had in fantasy football ever.

An update:

I've been offered the #1, #18, and #35 picks in the draft for the #5, #6, and #24 picks.

I'm debating it now, but I'm leaning toward doing it. I think I can get another contributor at 18 and 35, + I have an extra third round pick. (after the trade, I'll still have 4 picks in the top 36)

TroyF
Old 05-04-2003, 02:09 PM   #25
tucker342
Pro Starter

who would you pick at number one though? Would you pick Leftwich at one? It's not like you really need a QB...
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 02:36 PM   #26
TroyF
Coordinator

Tucker,

Odds are, I'm going with Leftwich. Culpepper is in the final year of his contract and his turnovers slaughtered me last year. (it's on a sliding scale, 1 fumble for the team is -4 points, 2 is -8, 3 is -16 and so on, INT's carry the same penalty)

He threw 23 INT's and put the ball on the ground ANOTHER 23 times last year. (he lost 9 of those, it could have been a lot worse than it was)

As it was, 32 turnovers in 16 games does not exactly instill confidence in me. I'm not convinced Jake Plummer is going to be a good QB, even in Denver.

If Culpepper becomes a stud again, Plummer has great success in Denver and Leftwich performs the way I think he will. . . I have trade bait for next year (or even in the middle of this one)

If Culpepper has another mixed year, I'll let him go via free agency and take the extra pick.

TroyF
Old 05-05-2003, 08:08 AM   #27
Samdari
Roster Filler

Thanks for the link Troy, I am checking it out now. I am trying the guest login thing. Do you mind posting your team/league name so I can check them out it I ever figure out how?