Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-13-2010, 03:41 PM   #901
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

And it's not even dissapointed because I feel cheated...it's like...because I feel like the characters got cheated, ya know?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:36 PM   #902
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Wow. While I'm not looking forward to paying for HBO, I am soo looking froward to this series.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 05:21 PM   #903
sabotai
General Manager

I'm starting to look forward to the HBO series, too.

I finished the 2nd book and have started the 3rd. I liked the second book more than the first.

Here's my list of viewpoint characters from favorite to least favorite.

Arya - I love her storyline and anytime I'm about to put the book away or stop the audiobook, if I read on the next page or hear in the audiobook "Arya" , I have to go one more chapter. Looking to A Feast For Crows, when I saw the list of chapters on a website (yeah, a lot of the story has been spoiled for me, but I don't really mind spoilers that much), I was disappointed that she only gets 2 chapters in it.

Jon - I love reading about The Wall and The Night's Watch. It was ok in the first one, but when they venture beyond the wall in the second book, it was just awesome.

Tyrion - Again, I thought he was just ok in the first book, but the political mind games between him, Littlefinger, Varys and Cercei in the second book were very fun to read.

Sansa - I see she gets a lot of grief on some website and forums. Not a lot of fans for her, but I've enjoyed the evolution of her character from an idealistic romantic to someone who gets a rude awakening to the real world and how it works.

Theon - Man, this kid just wants his father's approval but definitely is more Stark than Greyjoy. The chapter where Asha destroys him (his 2nd chapter in ACOK if I recall correctly) was one of the funniest things I've read in a long time.

Eddard - Decent storyline, but the character was bit..."dry"? Not sure that's the right word.

Daenerys - Liked some chapters, not others. She sure is taking her time become relevant to the rest of the story. I really liked how her last few chapters in AGOT were written, though. Up and down character as far as my interest goes.

Bran - Dunno, I just find his chapters boring. Even the wolf ones.

Davos - Low on the list mainly because he's only had 3 chapters so far. Not much done with him yet.

Catelyn - Yeah, I know what's going to happen in this book with her, and I can't wait. I hate this character and her mostly boring chapters. Seems like the only point of her being around is to tell us what Robb and Robert's 2 brothers are up to in the second novel. SOOO looking forward to what's coming.

I think that's all of them. This series is definitely getting better as it goes.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 05:26 PM   #904
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I've just finished listening to the Fourth book via Audible.com. It is true that John Lee doesn't hold a candle to Roy Dotrice as narrator, but he does a serviceable job. There was a lot I picked up on the re-read that I missed the first time or legitimately forgot.

Here are just a few

Spoiler

Damn I can't wait for a Dance with Dragons ....again waiting.

I guess the HBO series will sate the need for a while. I just saw who they've cast for Tywin Lannister, and loved it. It's almost like those doing the casting have read the books.

Reading Martin's Blog and his merenese knot comments, and now I'm even a bit more annoyed with him and his delays.

Last edited by Glengoyne : 09-18-2010 at 05:27 PM.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 06:39 PM   #905
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I was quite skeptical at first, but damn if this doesn't look like it's just going to be amazing.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 02:07 PM   #906
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Here's a link to a page that has some really good "stills" from the various trailers.

Game of Thrones: News - NEW UPDATE: Dissecting the New Teaser (more images!)
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 02:16 PM   #907
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

This series is going to be so awesome. I can't wait.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:20 PM   #908
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Just looked at all those stills...I'm dissapointed if the Kingsguard won't be wearing white armor/cloaks.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:09 PM   #909
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Somehow this news from July wasn't ever posted here re: the upcoming game by cyanide studios

Paris, 16th July 2010

We announced in 2009 that Cyanide had signed an agreement with George R. R. Martin to develop both an RTS and RPG based on his best-selling "A Song of Ice and Fire" series. Today we can confirm that the RTS will be published by Focus Home Interactive.

Their press release is below.
FOCUS HOME INTERACTIVE AND CYANIDE ANNOUNCE "A GAME OF THRONES: GENESIS"

We are very pleased to announce that Focus Home Interactive will publish "A Game of Thrones: Genesis", Cyanide’s new strategy game, adapted from George R.R. Martin's famous series of best-sellers novels "A Song of Ice and Fire".

Today, we reveal the first 2 artworks from this game in which you will have to match your political prowess with your strategic and military skills!

"A Game of Thrones: Genesis" plunges you into the heart of the battles and intrigues between the Families that shaped the Kingdom of Westeros.

However, victory does not necessarily result from brute force. The innovative game mechanics provide players with numerous paths to success: will you opt for a military, economic or diplomatic approach? Trickery, treachery and deceit are widespread and you will constantly have to watch your back if you want to avoid a bitter defeat!

Peacefully or forcefully annex surrounding territories, besiege enemy castles, send spies to infiltrate behind enemy lines, assassinate trouble-making officers or capture them to ask for a ransom... When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground!

For more information (+ logo and some images) visit the Focus website.

George R. R. Martin has also posted the news on his blog and it is drawing plenty of feedback from fans.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:11 PM   #910
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

FWIW - the artwork looks beautiful
Old 09-21-2010, 08:50 AM   #911
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Just looked at all those stills...I'm dissapointed if the Kingsguard won't be wearing white armor/cloaks.

Yeah that seemed very odd to me. Why not run with one of the few very clear stylistic guides for them?
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:54 AM   #912
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
Yeah that seemed very odd to me. Why not run with one of the few very clear stylistic guides for them?

I dunno. It's kind of pissing me off - because I think that would be beautiful. and honestly, knowing how much care they are professing to take with detail i can't see them leaving that one out.

Then again - that's not their battle armor in those stills, so maybe their suits of armor are still white, and they have white cloaks then? That could be the kettleblacks or something in their lannister-style dress?
Old 09-21-2010, 01:03 PM   #913
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:

For more information (+ logo and some images) visit the Focus website.

A RAR file? Seriously? Is this 1996?

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:32 PM   #914
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
A RAR file? Seriously? Is this 1996?

lmao
Old 11-18-2010, 09:06 AM   #915
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Entertainment Weekly just posted 10 "first images" from the series.

Here's the link:

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20385926_20442931,00.html

Here's the photos:

Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 11-18-2010, 09:24 AM   #916
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Sexy fucking goodness. Can't fucking wait.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:25 AM   #917
MrBug708
Head Coach

The last shot is in the Vale?

I'm re-reading the books again, already saw a couple of details that I forgot/missed the first time
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:36 AM   #918
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post

I'm re-reading the books again, already saw a couple of details that I forgot/missed the first time

Yep. Must be the Vale judging by the Aaryn soldiers in the background.

Very LOTR-look to it (not that that's bad at all).

I reiterate that I hope they get the Kingsguard in white.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:37 AM   #919
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Yeah, the last two shots are the Vale.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:08 AM   #920
AFShadow
n00b

When is this starting on HBO?
AFShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:11 AM   #921
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFShadow View Post

There's been no official start date set yet, but most think it will be sometime in April 2011.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:20 AM   #922
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Captions for the photos:
Old 11-18-2010, 11:21 AM   #923
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

So judging by that, we're not getting white kingsguard armor. Shucks.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:59 PM   #924
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Allegedly...according to posts I just saw on FB...Martin is now only 5 chapters away from finishing ADWD.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:04 PM   #925
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Allegedly...according to posts I just saw on FB...Martin is now only 5 chapters away from finishing ADWD.

Cool! Only three more years to go!
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 11:48 PM   #926
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I find it amazing that with all the detail they are getting into and the emphasis on making the world come to life that they are not making the Kingsguard armor white.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:06 AM   #927
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
I find it amazing that with all the detail they are getting into and the emphasis on making the world come to life that they are not making the Kingsguard armor white.

Me too. Disappointing and irritating. Possibly a bad omen. Can't understand why they'd do that. Keep hoping that maybe I'm wrong and we'll see the white armor (maybe it's just more ceremonial so we don't see it once the guys go into battle or whatever).
Old 11-26-2010, 01:43 AM   #928
MrBug708
Head Coach

I wonder who will play Hot Pie in the second season of A Game of Thrones?
Old 11-26-2010, 05:47 AM   #929
3ric
College Starter

Quote:
Captions for the photos:

Was Catelyn in the Eyrie with Tyrion? Lysa Arryn was Catelyn's sister, right? I need to re-read the first book, these photos remind me how much I've forgotten.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:09 AM   #930
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:

Well, he's got to catch up on all the NFL he tivoed while out of the country, then watch the rest of the season. He might find some time in March, then.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:11 AM   #931
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ric View Post
Was Catelyn in the Eyrie with Tyrion? Lysa Arryn was Catelyn's sister, right? I need to re-read the first book, these photos remind me how much I've forgotten.

She was the reason he was there.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:44 AM   #932
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ric View Post

She dragged him there for safety and support and instead Lysa tried to execute him
Old 11-26-2010, 11:49 AM   #933
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I wonder who will play Hot Pie in the second season of A Game of Thrones?
Looks like he's going to be in the first season. http://grrm.livejournal.com/179706.html
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:00 PM   #934
3ric
College Starter

Quote:
She dragged him there for safety and support and instead Lysa tried to execute him

Oh yeah - now I remember. Thanks for the reminder!
Old 11-27-2010, 06:59 PM   #935
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

FYI - apparently there's a more extended "behind the scenes" thing before the season finale of boardwalk empire next sunday (12/5) - i just saw a teaser for it on HBO...

fuck me i'm so excited!!
Old 11-30-2010, 09:42 AM   #936
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

New Trailer

Old 12-07-2010, 09:27 AM   #937
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Ten minute preview.

Inside Game of Thrones
Old 12-07-2010, 10:46 AM   #938
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Looking forward to the 10 min preview...away from home - thanks for posting the link matt!!
Old 12-08-2010, 10:12 AM   #939
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

*grumbles* dvr didn't catch it. Grrr.

Going to HBO site to watch
Old 12-12-2010, 01:35 PM   #940
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

When previously mentioned in this thread about his health issues, what ones are we talking about? I keep reading about them, but I don't recall what specifically it was.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:50 PM   #941
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
When previously mentioned in this thread about his health issues, what ones are we talking about? I keep reading about them, but I don't recall what specifically it was.

I am not aware of any specific health issues other than being old and over weight.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:53 PM   #942
cougarfreak
College Starter

Nevermind........watched the preview, April.

Last edited by cougarfreak : 12-12-2010 at 03:06 PM.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:55 PM   #943
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post

Spring. April probably?
Old 12-12-2010, 02:56 PM   #944
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Spring. April probably?

Yes. At the end of one of the trailers it said "April." No specific date.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:31 PM   #945
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

Loved the behind the scenes preview. Minor quibbles aside (King's Guard armor), it looks like they are really putting a lot of effort into the details of the show. A few of the scenes were like taking images from the book straight out of my head.
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:44 PM   #946
cschex
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargetPractice6 View Post
Loved the behind the scenes preview. Minor quibbles aside (King's Guard armor), it looks like they are really putting a lot of effort into the details of the show. A few of the scenes were like taking images from the book straight out of my head.

Yeah, I'm ok with the fact that some things are going to be different (though my wife cannot get over the fact that Jaime's hair isn't blond), but it's been impressive how much stuff they've taken straight from the book. The dragon skulls are going to look AWESOME.
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:56 AM   #947
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

In casting, they screwed up the image of both Jaime and John Snow. I'm sure both will turn out okay as the series unfolds and everyone gets used to them. Jaime just does not look right. As mentioned his hair is too dark. Then they made Snow look too much like a pretty boy. They probably could have flipped the actors and their hair color and it would have been closer.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:00 AM   #948
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I'm much more comfortable with Jaime Lannister after watching the preview. I'm not as bummed about his hair color, but I'm also curious as to why they didn't just bleach it.

I'm with you on Jon Snow though - not at all what I pictured. I'll have to see more of him actually acting, but I'm not a fan of his look.

That being said, these are minor quibbles, and that trailer was simply amazing.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:10 PM   #949
sabotai
General Manager

As far as casting goes, when I read the first book, I imagined the guy who played Tommy Carcetti in The Wire as Littlefinger.....and that's who they ended up casting.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:12 PM   #950
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
As far as casting goes, when I read the first book, I imagined the guy who played Tommy Carcetti in The Wire as Littlefinger.....and that's who they ended up casting.

Yes a near perfect match with my mental image as well. He matches almost as well as the guy they got to play Tywin Lannister.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote