Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-07-2009, 12:56 PM   #1201
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
Download SopCast and tune into MMA-TV (channel # 24267)

So at 9 just type that into the sopcast address bar? Just asking b/c I just tried that and it said the channel was offline, which would make sense ATM.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 01:10 PM   #1202
Recoil
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
So at 9 just type that into the sopcast address bar?

That's right
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:11 PM   #1203
Calis
College Starter

Excited for this one. I'm not sure any of the matches stand out as amazing but solid all around.

I don't see Fedor falling to Rodgers. Rodgers is huge and has a puncher's chance, but I think he swings too wide and sloppy to catch Fedor. If Fedor closes the distance it is fight over. If it hits the ground fight over. This doesn't make it out of first.

I think Shields has no problem with Miller. Miller doesn't have the standup, and he is going to get shown up on the ground. Mayhem works though so should be good. I see him getting subbed halfway through.

Mousasi has no problem. I'm still excited to see it as Soku is no pushover, but aside from a lucky punch no shot.

I think Werdum beats Silva if he doesn't get caught early. Werdum gets crapped on because his standup is horrible but that guy is a machine on the ground. Silva can't hang on the ground.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:28 PM   #1204
DeToxRox
Head Coach

So far, Silva vs Werdum is a war. A great, great opener.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:50 PM   #1205
Calis
College Starter

Great first round by Soku there. I didn't expect him to fair that well.

Let's see if he gasses here in the 2nd.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:54 PM   #1206
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post
Great first round by Soku there. I didn't expect him to fair that well.

Let's see if he gasses here in the 2nd.

That was inevitable.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:01 PM   #1207
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
That was inevitable.

No doubt. He just lost the will and wind there completely. He did better than I expected though so that's something.

Wouldn't mind seeing Henderson sign and fight Mousasi. That would be a pretty awesome fight for Strikeforce.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:30 PM   #1208
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Mayhem is fucking bringing it so far in this fight. This is aweso,e.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:30 PM   #1209
Calis
College Starter

So close. Awesome finish to the 3rd there.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:00 PM   #1210
DeToxRox
Head Coach

So stupid they didn't even show entrances for the Main Event.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:03 PM   #1211
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

That nose looks really ugly.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 10:07 PM   #1212
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
That nose looks really ugly.

+1 and I fear that blood won't help him on the cards either.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:08 PM   #1213
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I love Rogers. This could end right away in the second but he showed a lot in that round.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:10 PM   #1214
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Holy fucking shit.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:10 PM   #1215
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Rogers just got killed but damn he impressed me. Him going 3 minutes on the ground with Fedor is a win for him.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:10 PM   #1216
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

What a punch. I love watching Fedor fight.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:10 PM   #1217
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

My first time seeing Fedor fight, he was impressive.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 10:16 PM   #1218
DeToxRox
Head Coach

It better be Fedor vs Overeem next. I swear to God if they waste the next CBS Special with Fedor vs Werdum I'll cry.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:30 PM   #1219
Recoil
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
My first time seeing Fedor fight, he was impressive.

Fedor is not unbeatable, but he's pretty damn close. Any thoughts on what would happen in a Fedor/Lesnar fight? It's a shame we'll probably never see that matchup.
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 11:13 PM   #1220
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

As long as Fedor is able to duck big wrestlers for the rest of his career, he should be just fine.

I would put money down on both Lesnar and Carwin to beat Fedor, while Velasquez and Fedor would be a push (although I would take Fedor over Mir).

The only decent wrestlers Fedor has ever faced have been Coleman, Randleman and Lindland. Randleman was able to take him down immediately with ease but was simply way too small to control him on the ground. If not for using the ropes (illegally at that) to reverse Lindland's takedown, then Lindland would have taken down Fedor instantaneously as well, although it would have been moot as Lindland is also far too small to control him on the ground. Heck, even a washed up 42 year old Coleman was able to take him down, and would have been able to consistently if not for Fedor's use of the ropes to block the takedown.

I think both Lesnar and Carwin would be able to get Fedor up against the cage and take him down with ease. Both are also big enough and skilled enough wrestlers on the ground to keep him there. Velasquez would be a much closer fight. While I also think that he would be able to get Fedor to the ground it would be interesting whether he would be able to keep him there or not.

Fedor is still likely a top 5 heavyweight at this point in his career, however, he is unworthy of the praise of being the top heavyweight in the world, let alone the top pound for pound fighter.
Carman Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 11:19 PM   #1221
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

WHAM!!!

WTG FEDOR!!!

that being said - Rogers definitely showed something...there were moments I wasn't sure Fedor was quite up to the challenge (when Rogers pushed him around physically). Surprised that Fedor didn't finish him on the ground too - he definitely had an advantage there.

CBS is probably disapointed about not having a real "highlight knockout" on the card though i'm sure
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 11:21 PM   #1222
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
As long as Fedor is able to duck big wrestlers for the rest of his career, he should be just fine.

I would put money down on both Lesnar and Carwin to beat Fedor, while Velasquez and Fedor would be a push (although I would take Fedor over Mir).

Fedor is still likely a top 5 heavyweight at this point in his career, however, he is unworthy of the praise of being the top heavyweight in the world, let alone the top pound for pound fighter.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 11-07-2009 at 11:23 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:31 PM   #1223
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

lol @ this comment:

Last time a Russian hit a brother that hard, Ivan Drago killed Apollo Creed.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 11-07-2009 at 11:31 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:21 AM   #1224
dervack
College Prospect

Had a great night, helped my friend get some pics with Werdum, Andrei Arlovski, Jake Shields, Ben Rothwell and Mark Miller.

Last edited by dervack : 11-08-2009 at 02:21 AM.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:09 AM   #1225
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Fedor is great, but fighting these guys in Strikeforce is doing nothing for him.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 12:03 PM   #1226
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I thought Rogers at least gave Fedor a little challenge there with his dirty-boxing and the one time he GnP'd him. But in general I agree. But (and i was thinking about this earlier on my daily walk), putting anybody in there against Lesner is ridiculous. He's just so physically massive and strong i'm not sure anyone has a chance against him. He makes Tim Sylvia look like a hobbit.

And it's not like Fedor is a slouch when it comes to wrestling - his ground game is great...he's a Sambo vet and has fought in RINGS many times. He's no slouch. But Lesner is so wide and muscled that his dirty-boxing has got to be like unstoppable. Once he pins you against the cage you're done.

I honestly think that Dana White sat there and was thinking: "my heavyweight division is a joke - the guys I brought over from PRIDE are either at the end of their careers or couldn't adapt...what the fuck do i do?" And his decision was to sign Lesner, who is a physically imposing beast, with legitimate NCAA wrestling experience. The problem with that is that Lesner is such a physical freak that I'm not sure who you get to fight him who provides him a legitimate challenge without turning the heavyweight division into some sort of circus-sideshow.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 11-08-2009 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:30 PM   #1227
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

I honestly think that Dana White sat there and was thinking: "my heavyweight division is a joke - the guys I brought over from PRIDE are either at the end of their careers or couldn't adapt...what the fuck do i do?" And his decision was to sign Lesner, who is a physically imposing beast, with legitimate NCAA wrestling experience. The problem with that is that Lesner is such a physical freak that I'm not sure who you get to fight him who provides him a legitimate challenge without turning the heavyweight division into some sort of circus-sideshow.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves here. Brock has beat who? Randy Couture, a natural LHW who may very well be past his prime at this point. His last two outings were a loss to Lesnar and a loss to Nog, and we all saw how bad Nog lost to Mir.

His other big win was against Frank "I had a war with Wes Simms" Mir. I'm not anywhere near ready to crown Lesnar as the best in the world based on those two wins.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:32 PM   #1228
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

And I'm not sure Carwin vs. Rogers goes to Carwin. IMHO Rogers win over Arlovski > Carwin's win over Gonzaga.

Last edited by dubb93 : 11-08-2009 at 05:33 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:52 PM   #1229
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Lets not get ahead of ourselves here. Brock has beat who? Randy Couture, a natural LHW who may very well be past his prime at this point. His last two outings were a loss to Lesnar and a loss to Nog, and we all saw how bad Nog lost to Mir.

His other big win was against Frank "I had a war with Wes Simms" Mir. I'm not anywhere near ready to crown Lesnar as the best in the world based on those two wins.

that's true...Brock needs to beat some legit people...I'm just saying...he's a physically imposing specimen with legit wrestling ability
Old 11-08-2009, 10:11 PM   #1230
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

If that is the case, by your logic, who has Fedor beat?

Rogers - Only has one career win of note. See below, Arlovski, Andrei.

Andrei Arlovski - the same man whose most impressive victories in his career are a decision over Fabricio Werdum (the same Werdum that was DESTROYED by Junior dos Santos) and Ben Rothwell (the same Rothwell that was DESTROYED by Cain Velasquez). Glass Joe Arlovski also lost his two last fights to Tim Sylvia (see below)

Tim Sylvia - the same guy that lost to 48 year old Ray Mercer in 9 seconds? Yep, same guy. I suppose that you could argue it was a fluke, but then wouldn't you be able to say the same about Rogers flash KO over Arlovski? Tim also has recent losses to over the hill Couture and Nogueria. In fact his only two credible wins in his career have come against Andrei Arlovski. See above.

Crocop - Yep, Fedor has a decision victory over Crocop. Why didn't the baddest man on the planet finish off the same guy that was recently finished by both Gabe Gonzaga (same Gonzaga that Carwin knocked out) and Junior dos Santos. Not to mention a loss to Cheick Kongo (the same Kongo that Velasquez took out).

Nogueira - Another guy that Fedor couldn't finish, however, he does have two decision victories over Nog. The same Nogueria that was recently finished by Frank Mir (the same Mir that was slaughtered by Lesnar recently).

The point I'm making isn't to try and take away anything from Fedor's wins against Crocop and Nogueira, because at the time, they were quite impressive. But I will take Brock's wins, not to mention anything that Carwin, Velasquez or dos Santos have done, over anything that Fedor has done IN THE PAST FOUR YEARS! Like I mentioned earlier, Wanderlei and Matt Hughes were also considered the top of their class four years ago.

The fact is the vaunted list of Pride fighters that include Rua, CroCop, Henderson, Wanderlei, Nog, Werdum and Sokoudjou have gone a less than impressive 14-15 in the octagon. And eight of those wins were against the likes of Coleman, Eddie Sanchez, Al-Turk, Palhares, Herring, Nakumara, Jardine, and Sylvia. The fact is, before any of those guys joined the UFC, if you would have talked to most Pride fanboys, they wouldn't have even been able to fathom that group doing anything but destroying UFC's weak roster.

And while Fedor is the best of them, he's done nothing since beating Crocop four years ago. He's never faced a top tier wrestler that is bigger than him and the ease with which some skilled wrestlers have taken him down has been a concern. The cage also plays a major factor in that, as Fedor would struggle with wrestlers who could control him on the ground and against the cage. And Lesnar is the perfect mis-match for Fedor, playing to all of Fedor's weaknesses.
Carman Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:49 AM   #1231
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

We will agree to disagree. If you honestly compare Fedor's last four years to someone like Junior dos Santos last four years then there is absolutely no way you can be reasoned with.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:16 PM   #1232
Calis
College Starter

If we're going off past results also Carwin is pretty damn lackluster as well. He has a win over Gonzaga I and...not much else. No one in the division has an ultra impressive record over the last few years.

I think it is fairly obvious that the HW division is pretty far and away the weakest division(maybe 185 has a shot at that crown). I wouldn't say Fedor has "ducked" anyone though, unless you think he didn't sign with the UFC for that reason.

The problem is with the division is there hasn't been an equivalent to an Anderson Silva or GSP that has beat basically any legitimate contender. Fedor was the last one to really shine, and when he was running through Pride who was the UFC Champ? Tim Sylvia? Arlovski? The UFC HW division was an absolute joke.

Now the issue is he won't sign and he's fighting B-level talent for the most part, so we have no idea how to gauge him against the UFC guys. I think he is fighting just enough competition that he should remain perceived as the top until someone proves themselves.

I think if we get the Brock/Carwin and Cain/Nog fights settled and get a winner there we probably have a new HW face....unless Nog wins both and then we've got all sorts of issues.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:37 PM   #1233
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Hmm, um, this is a rumored fight for 109:

Matt Hughes vs Renzo Gracie.

Seriously?
Old 11-12-2009, 07:35 PM   #1234
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:10 PM   #1235
Flasch186
Coordinator

Winner shouldve NOT thrown those punches. That guy was in Cuba.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:31 PM   #1236
DeToxRox
Head Coach

108 is changed again. Big Nog has a bad staph infection so he's out. I am willing to wager it's Carwin vs Cain for the interim title.

Which leads me to Brock. Dana said after 105 that Brock still has mono and a new illness on top of that and is seriously sick. He has no idea when Brock will be back, and even IF Brock will be back. He isn't sure what is going on but said it's not good at all.

Really scary sounding stuff.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:37 PM   #1237
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
108 is changed again. Big Nog has a bad staph infection so he's out. I am willing to wager it's Carwin vs Cain for the interim title.

Which leads me to Brock. Dana said after 105 that Brock still has mono and a new illness on top of that and is seriously sick. He has no idea when Brock will be back, and even IF Brock will be back. He isn't sure what is going on but said it's not good at all.

This is his second one in a very short time frame. What the hell is up with Nog.

Last edited by dubb93 : 11-14-2009 at 09:37 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:49 PM   #1238
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:

Carwin is out with knee surgery. Cain vs Mir is my bet. Or Dos Santos.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 08:00 AM   #1239
PilotMan
Head Coach

He has an opportunity here to try and build up the division again. It sucks in the short term but could be worthwhile if done correctly.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:27 AM   #1240
DeToxRox
Head Coach

So there's a rumor Shane McMahon had a meeting with Dana but Dana just issued a no comment when it was brought up. It makes sense as Shane has always wanted to get involved in MMA, and has a ton of experience with doing their Digital Media, which has constantly showed growth with WWE.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:44 AM   #1241
Calis
College Starter

Sounds like Brock is seriously messed up. I'm really curious to see what it is wrong with him. It sure doesn't sound good from what little they have said. Hey, this gives Anderson the opportunity to move up to Heavyweight if he wants, I know he was talking about fighting Mir a while back. Obviously not for a title, but that'd be pretty fun to watch. I wouldn't mind seeing Cain vs. Dos Santos for an interim title. It's obviously a lot less impressive then Cain vs. Nog, but I think it is the best option out there. Talk about a division being wrecked by injuries/illness.

I was really impressed with Hardy last night. I thought he would win, but I didn't think it would be as convincing as it was. He looked good. I'm actually disappointed that he has to fight GSP next. I think he could really benefit from a few more fights and a couple more top tier opponents before getting massacred.

The Couture/Vera fight went about as I expected. Couture controlled the fight, and Vera did the damage. I'm not sure if I think it was a bad decision or not, I'd have to watch it again. I knew Couture was going to win on the cards so I definitely wasn't surprised, but I still hate the way the judges weigh fights.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:00 AM   #1242
BYU 14
Coordinator

There are now rumors with Lesnar that it is possibly a heart ailment. (a virus has infected his heart muscle) Lets hope that is not the case and only speculation, as that could be extremely serious and even life threatening.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:08 AM   #1243
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
There are now rumors with Lesnar that it is possibly a heart ailment. (a virus has infected his heart muscle) Lets hope that is not the case and only speculation, as that could be extremely serious and even life threatening.

That sucks. Hope he recovers quickly and that it's not life threatening. Not a fan of his at all but on the human level don't want to see anything bad like this happen to the guy.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:53 AM   #1244
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
That sucks. Hope he recovers quickly and that it's not life threatening. Not a fan of his at all but on the human level don't want to see anything bad like this happen to the guy.

I agree on hoping for a quick recovery, I just wonder if this is as serious as it sounds what he will be like once his recovery is complete.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:56 AM   #1245
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post

heart ailments like that are bad news IIRC
Old 11-16-2009, 12:55 PM   #1246
RainMaker
General Manager

Heart ailments are also frequently linked to heavy steroid users. I know he's always been a big guy, but there is no way in my mind that he is clean.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:01 PM   #1247
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Heart ailments are also frequently linked to heavy steroid users. I know he's always been a big guy, but there is no way in my mind that he is clean.

+1
Old 11-16-2009, 01:55 PM   #1248
DeToxRox
Head Coach

UFC President Dana White told TMZ.com that Brock Lesnar is suffering from a major intestinal disorder and will require "major surgery."
Old 11-16-2009, 02:18 PM   #1249
Flasch186
Coordinator

tarry poo Ill bet! I hope he gets better cuz I hated that!

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:25 PM   #1250
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
UFC President Dana White told TMZ.com that Brock Lesnar is suffering from a major intestinal disorder and will require "major surgery."

This is better than the Heart rumors, though obviously still serious. Like him of not he has brought a lot of buzz to the sport and hopefully makes a full recovery, whether he fights again or not.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote