Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-15-2005, 12:52 PM   #1
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Baseball Drug Policy

I know, I know...too little, too late. But what I really want to know is, will Congress have the stones to force the NFL (mainly, although Congress' bill would bind the NBA and NHL, I think) to adopt similar standards, or was this just a paper threat against all major sports in an effort to get MLB to comply, but once they got what they wanted out of MLB, they let the other guys off the hook?

Sources: Penalties much tougher with agreement

Associated Press

WASHINGTON -- Major League Baseball players and owners agreed to toughen penalties for steroid use to a 50-game suspension for a first failed test and a lifetime ban for a third, The Associated Press learned.

Who Knew, And When?
In a special report in its latest issue, ESPN The Magazine offers a 16-page examination of the spread of steroid use throughout baseball, and how many of those closely involved with the game -- executives, players, trainers, the media -- watched it happen … and looked the other way.

The deal, which also adds testing for amphetamines, was described to the AP by two congressional aides on condition of anonymity because it had not been officially announced.

A formal announcement was planned for later Tuesday, a baseball official told the AP.

Baseball's current steroid penalties are a 10-day suspension for a first offense, 30 days for a second offense, and 60 days for a third. The earliest a player could be banned for life is a fifth offense.

The sport's second new steroids agreement in 10 months came after lengthy negotiations prompted by urging from Congress -- including the threat of legislation that would require higher penalties and stricter testing standards.

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 04:17 PM   #2
Blade6119
Coordinator

you dont have bad breathe...herpes, maybe....but not bad breathe
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 04:27 PM   #3
RainRaven
High School JV

It was just a ploy to force MLB to get in line with the rest of the sports. Congress during the hearings heaped praise upon the other Big 3 and wasn't going to really force them into anything. Congress gets to look like it did something without having to actually pass a law that would've challenged by someone I am sure.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:35 PM   #4
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainRaven
It was just a ploy to force MLB to get in line with the rest of the sports. Congress during the hearings heaped praise upon the other Big 3 and wasn't going to really force them into anything. Congress gets to look like it did something without having to actually pass a law that would've challenged by someone I am sure.

The whole point of this is that they are NOT now in line with the other sports. A baseball player will be banned after his third test; in the NFL, he's out for a year. How is that equal?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-15-2005, 04:53 PM   #5
primelord
Pro Rookie

I don't understand. You are pissed because baseball is doing what all sports SHOULD be doing? Even if other sports aren't held to the same standard that doesn't mean baseball shouldn't be.

Last edited by primelord : 11-15-2005 at 04:54 PM.
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 05:09 PM   #6
RainRaven
High School JV

It's not about it being equal. It's that baseball for a very long time lagged behind the rest. Congress wanted MLB to do something more stringent then their intial weak attempt. Congress didn't want to see equality, just more of an attempt by baseball so they could look like they were being responsible.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:18 PM   #7
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
I know, I know...too little, too late. But what I really want to know is, will Congress have the stones to force the NFL (mainly, although Congress' bill would bind the NBA and NHL, I think) to adopt similar standards, or was this just a paper threat against all major sports in an effort to get MLB to comply, but once they got what they wanted out of MLB, they let the other guys off the hook?

I don't know. Aren't the NFL standards for steroids testing pretty close to the ones congress wants. You can't give out a 50 game suspension in the NFL, but prorated over the NFL season that would be the equivalent of a 5 game suspension.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 06:20 PM   #8
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I am happy for this new policy. It's about @%#$! time.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 07:42 PM   #9
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by primelord
I don't understand. You are pissed because baseball is doing what all sports SHOULD be doing? Even if other sports aren't held to the same standard that doesn't mean baseball shouldn't be.

I'm not arguing baseball shouldn't be held to this standard, I'm saying that if Congress intended for all sports to meet this standard through the pending legislation, then they better not be satisfied that just baseball implemented more stringent standards.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:43 PM   #10
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike
I don't know. Aren't the NFL standards for steroids testing pretty close to the ones congress wants. You can't give out a 50 game suspension in the NFL, but prorated over the NFL season that would be the equivalent of a 5 game suspension.

First test, yes. Second test is currently 6 games, should be 9 (roughly equivalent to 100 games). Third test should be ban, not 1 year suspension.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:08 PM   #11
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

What seems to be slipping under the radar due to many fans obsession with all things steroids-related is the addition of amphetamines to the testing program. This is huge - amphetamine abuse is far more prevalent than steroid abuse has been, and by adding this to the testing program will have a much bigger impact on player peformance dropping than steroid testing; yet people will continue to insist it's all about players dropping off the juice.

Kudos to MLB and the MLBPA for getting this passed without any B.S. negotiation jockeying, i.e. the MLBPA asking for reduction the number of games in return for adding amphetamines to the testing and upping the steroid penalties.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote