Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-13-2020, 08:41 PM   #1
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Laptop Charging Issue

I have an HP Omen Gaming laptop that I have only had for about 3 months and it has stopped consistently charging. It doesn't seem like a loose connection as it doesn't seem to matter how the cord is positioned.

Basically I notices that the charge was draining one night and I saw the battery icon was draining and not showing as plugged in. Then I noticed the red light (when charging) near the port on the laptop was only barely blinking, not staying solid as it does when it is charging.

I tried unplugging, verifying connection, everything seems fine except it wasn't charging.

I have never liked this laptop's power connection as it always seemed to have much more play in it that other laptops I have had but it was never an issue until recently.

It doesn't seem like the position of the cord matters as I tried positioning and other things to see if maybe there was an issue with the cord.

I left it plugged in overnight the first time this happened a couple weeks ago and the next morning the part that plugs into the laptop was very hot, not the laptop or the rest of the cord, just the jack that plugs into the laptop. IT also didn't charge.

I looked around to see if I could find a replacement plug to narrow down what it could be but found nothing cheap. The next day I plugged it back in and it charged, no issues. I even moved the plug around a little to see if it was a connection but nothing made it stop charging. For the following week everything was fine.

Then it happened again for a couple days and as quickly as it started it all started working again.

Now it is back to not working, sitting at around 56% at the moment.

I tried one thing that I saw which was removing the battery driver, shutting down, removing power, and booting back up to let it find the driver again. I wasn't sure if that is what worked the first time as I tried that during the couple day down time but I have tried it each time since and it doesn't have any effect.

As I typed that last paragraph at one point the icon went to show charging as the light stayed on for a couple seconds and then went back out.

Any advice on where I should look next?

EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 08:54 PM   #2
PilotMan
Head Coach

I have the same laptop coincidentally and I've thought the same thing about the plug. It's far looser, and seems to pop out easier than others. I would say that the issue is likely the AC Adapter itself. My guess is that the plug just isn't connecting correctly to the laptop. I've had issues like that with other laptops and it's usually remedied with a new AC adapter. I'd contact HP and see about getting a warranty replacement. I've already been thinking that mine will need a new one sooner, rather than later.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 09:09 PM   #3
AnalBumCover
College Starter

This, recently, from a FB friend regarding HP laptops and chargers:

Quote:
I get a lot of people that ask me to look at their PC's and laptops, I'm seeing an unusual trend of laptops from HP coming my way, all with a specific type of charger. I've had three "blue-tip" A/C chargers and laptops either experience a total failure, or a failure where the AC charger works but the battery won't charge, or the battery charges but the laptop won't run while plugged in. One is dead, there's just no recovering it. Another one worked with a new A/C adapter. Still working on the third one.
If you have an HP laptop and one of these "blue-tip" chargers, be careful with it (plugging it in, moving the laptop around with it plugged in). I think the problem is with the D/C in jack itself, but it's just weird that I'm seeing the same one with problems.
Quote:
Just don't look at it funny. In HP's defense, once laptop got hit with a power surge. What's weird is that the A/C adapters usually take the hit, not the laptop. But the other two were just daily use activities (according to the users). They would use it around the house, plug it when it needed to be charged. Just keep it one spot and you should be fine.

Last edited by AnalBumCover : 04-13-2020 at 09:10 PM.
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 09:29 PM   #4
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Thank you for the responses. This is how weird it is. It was draining and I said screw it, I'll get a couple days on Stardew Valley in and then go to bed. With no movement of anything in the midst of playing it started charging again. No change of the plug or anything.

As far as the location. I keep it next to the couch on a table and put it on my lap while using it. Don't do anything else with it. I wish it had a removable battery, I could see if that is an issue.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 10:30 PM   #5
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I would definitely replace the AC adapter first. They typically need a certain wattage for the system board to detect it and charge the battery. Sounds like the AC adapter is going out/has an issue.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 11:03 AM   #6
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
I have an HP Omen Gaming laptop that I have only had for about 3 months and it has stopped consistently charging.

Nothing else matters after this.
Its a warranty issue.
Dont attempt to repair it and cause yourself more grief.
Its HPs issue and they need to know about it so they can log it and take it to engineering for redesign.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote