Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-16-2006, 03:04 PM   #1
Northwood_DK
College Benchwarmer

FOF2007: Oakland Raiders Dynasty

Date: Pro Bowl Weekend
Sources: NFL Front office
Headline: New people in charge of Oakland

The temporary new owners of the Oakland Raiders have today announced a major shake-up of the team’s front office. The NFL installed the new owner group earlier this year to take control over the franchise until the whereabouts of Al Davis is known or the franchise has been sold.

Al Davis have been missing since the team was embraced and
shutout on national television for the second time in just 9 weeks on MNF. During the game Al Davis was seen visibly upset in his luxury box and even before the game was over he hurried to the Seattle-Tacoma International Airportalone. He was last seen boarding his private Lear-jet 60 worth around $11mil screaming at the limo-driver and since then nobody have seen or heard from the eccentric owner.

NFL has decided to give full control of the team to T Northwood who will act as GM for the team until further notice. Northwood will take over the GM job from
Michael Lombardi who was Al Davis closest employ and senior personnel executive. The new GM have announced a press-conference later today and it’s expected that he will announce the firing of Hd. Coach Art Shell and the rest of the group of scouts and trainers.

This move by the league was expected after the embarrassing 2006 season by the Raiders team that finished with a 3-13 record and totally out of control.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Authors note:
I bought the game the day it was released and I love the MP part and really enjoy the challenge of going up against other human players. When that is said I have to admit that if MP was not part of the game I would properly not have bought this version. I simply have a hard time playing this game in single player mode. Nothing wrong with the game it just fail to get me involved in SP like FM. Even with the real-player names I find myself quick-simming every career after a few minutes.

I have therefore decided to try to write a dynasty instead. Hopefully that will help me go more in-depth with my team and enjoy the SP experience more.

Settings:
Game version: v6.0b
Players: real
X-factor: Yes

Chemistry: Yes
Firing: Yes
Level Playing field: No
Difficulty level: Wall Street
House rules: I will make them up as I go if necessary

I quick simmed the first season with the first version of the game and then took over the Oakland Raiders after Super Bowl XLI.

I’m not sure what direction this will take but it will be fairly slow. Please feel free to ask any questions.

(and yes I know that I can’t spell so don’t even start)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Northwood_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 03:10 PM   #2
Northwood_DK
College Benchwarmer

Date: Staff Stage
Sources: Oakland Raiders Press conference transcript
Headline: Oakland say goodbye to Art Shell (again)

The new GM of Oakland Raiders T Northwood today announced the total rebuilding of the Raiders front office. The coach for the 2006 season Art Shell and all his staff was released form their duties from today’s date and a new group was introduced. The new names in charge of the Oakland Raiders are the following:

Hd coach: Bucky Bales
As part of the rebuilding the new GM have decided to hire an unknown name as the new Hd. Coach. Its Bucky Bales first job in the big league but he comes from college football with a very good reputation and is specially known for his very good skills in offensive and defensive play calling. He is also a good motivator and possible most importantly in Oakland he keeps a tough discipline.

Offensive coordinator: Kenneth Di Pietro
Di Pietro was the Hd coach for an 8-8 Houston Texans last season. He was not offered a new contract this season and decided to join Oakland on a 1-year deal as the offensive coordinator. The reason Oakland would except a 1-year deal was Di Pietros excellent skills with offensive linemen.

Defensive coordinator: Kirk Maloney
Another new name to the NFL. He is 43 years old and is rated good all over the board except from with young talent where he is only fair. Maloney will be the 5th highest paid defensive coordinator in the league with his $2.5mil pay-check.

Hd scout: Steve Ramirez
The 58-year old Steve Ramirez joins the Oakland Raiders with a very good reputation. He was hired manly because of his good skills scouting offensive line players and quarterbacks. He got signed to a 3-year contract worth $430.000 a year.

Last edited by Northwood_DK : 11-16-2006 at 03:13 PM.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:32 PM   #3
Porscheboy16
n00b

Awesome. I bought the game a few days ago, and I am doing the same.

What I've done...drafted Brady Quinn and moved team to LA...
Porscheboy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 09:55 AM   #4
Northwood_DK
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porscheboy16 View Post
Awesome. I bought the game a few days ago, and I am doing the same.

What I've done...drafted Brady Quinn and moved team to LA...

Thanks for reading Porscheboy

I will properly sim a bit slower then you and stay with the game-generated draft file.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:57 AM   #5
Northwood_DK
College Benchwarmer

Date: FA Week 1
Sources: Oakland Raiders personal department
Headline: roster evaluation

Its time to take a look at the players we got under contract for the 2007 season. Its not that many (37) and it will be even less when we are finished cutting away dead weight.
Most teams around the league have already cut their busts and cap-casualties and all of them are well below this year $106.3mil cap. The team with the biggest available cap is the 49ers. They have over $55mil to spend in the upcoming FA but only got 27 players under contract. In the other end of the scale we find the Ravens who "only" have $10.5mil available.

Quarterbacks:
UnifPlayerHTWTExpOnTmUntilCap CostSave ReleaseStatusCollege
2Aaron Brooks6-4220820062007$6,720,000$5,720,000

Virginia
13Rufus Summers5-1120522006---$0$0UnsignedAuburn
16Andrew Walter6-6230320052009$700,000$500,000

Arizona State

Just like the year before when Kerry Collins was cut in a move to save the team $9.2 million against the salary cap Aaron Brooks will face the same destiny this year. Aaron Brooks was the starter in the 2006 campaign and finished with the lowest completion percentage of all starters in the league and was the only starting quarterback without a game with an above 100 pass rating. He was also the most sacked quarterback of all players in the league with 78 sacks (4.9 pr game). There is no way he will remain on the team this season. Not only did he have a terrible 2006 season but he will also cost the team over $6.7mil in cap room. If (when) released we will only be held accountable for $1mil in bonus money and save his entire $5.72mil base salary.

Rufus Summers went undrafted last year and was signed to a league minimum contract before season start. He is not even close to be ready to start in the NFL but he is actually the quarterback on the roster with the biggest upside. With the right people around him he might be able to develop in to a NFL quarterback. We should absolutely try to get him signed to a 2 or 3 year contract and even consider sending him to NFL Europe this summer.

Andrew Walter was #3 quarterback in the depth chart all last season and without much potential that’s properly where he will stay this year.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Northwood_DK : 11-18-2006 at 02:08 PM.
Old 11-18-2006, 01:57 PM   #6
Northwood_DK
College Benchwarmer

Running backs:

Unif
PlayerHTWTExpOnTmUntilCap CostSave ReleaseStatusCollege
34LaMont Jordan5-10230720052009$6,100,000$4,700,000
Maryland
25Justin Fargas6-1220520032007$850,000$710,000
Southern California
20Rick Snyder5-1122522006---$0$0Uns.Wake Forest

The result of the 2007 season will all depend on how well LaMont Jordan will do this year and based on last year experience it will not be good. He is the 3rd highest rated running back in the league only behind Tomlinson (SDO) and Ronnie Brown (MIA) but last season he only rushed for 729yds (3.68 avg) and never had a 100+ yards game. That was behind a none-existing O-line. We must give him somebody to run behind this season and hope he can pick it up. That might be our only chance to have a respectable season.

Justin Fargas was the backup for Jordan last season and had a decent season. 118 attempts for 476yds (4.03 avg) is acceptable. He got solid overall ratings and got excellent breakaway speed and good hole recognition. He is well liked in Oakland and together with Jordan he might be one of the better 1-2 combinations in the league.

Rick Snyder is another undrafted rookie picked up last year in FA. The young player from Wake Forest has an even bigger upside then Fargas and has also taken over as the team’s backfield leader. He is out of contract but is absolutely worth a new contract.

Last edited by Northwood_DK : 11-18-2006 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-18-2006, 02:07 PM   #7
Northwood_DK
College Benchwarmer

Full backs:
Unif
Player
HT
WT
Exp
OnTm
Until
Cap Cost
Save Release
Status
College
Josh Parry
6-2
---
$500,000
$0
Uns.
San Jose State

Zack Crockett retired after a 2006 season where he struggled with injuries all year. That leaves Josh Parry as the only FB on the roster and he is not even under contract. He got decent run blocking skills and that might be what earns him a new contract in Oakland. If he doesn’t want to come back this might be an arrear to address in the middle of the upcoming draft.
Old 11-18-2006, 02:22 PM   #8
Northwood_DK
College Benchwarmer

Date: FA week 1
Sources: ESPN
Headline: High profile players cut in first week of FA

A big number of high profile players were released by their teams in the first week of FA. Some was cut loss due to cap issues while other was released due to lack of production. Among the players now ready for FA you will find no less the four number 1 overall draft picks and 18 players drafted in the top-10.

Warrick Dunn released by Atlanta
Jamal Lewis released by Baltimore

Keyshawn Johnson and DeShaun Foster released by Carolina
Drew Bledsoe released by Dallas
Jake Plummer and Javon Walker released by Denver
Dante Hall released by Kansas City
Daunte Culpepper, Joey Harrington and Marty Booker released by Miami
Brad Johnson released by Minnesota
Corey Dillon and Mike Vrabel released by New England
Mark Brunell released by Washington
David Carr released by Houston
Patrick Ramsey released by New York Jets

Especially Miami’s move to release both Daunte Culpepper and Joey Harrington was a surprise to many. The team is now left with no quarterback under contract for the 2007 season. The same is the case for Houston who decide to let David Carr go without any replacement ready to take over.

31 of the 32 teams in the league also sent players to Europe to play in NFL Europe during the summer. 25 of the 31 teams decide to send their second round draft picks while 3 teams gambled and shipped their precious #1 pick overseas. John McCargo (BUF), Vernon Davis (SFO) was both drafted in the first round last year but still sent to Europe. The biggest surprise was still to see Denver sent Jay Cutler to Europe the week after he was promoted to the team’s starter when Jake Plummer was cut.

A total of 25 players was hit with the franchise tag this week. Most of them was expected and only 4 players with a current/future rating below 50 was franchised. The lowest rated player to be franchised was Houston’s RCB Phillip Buchanon with his 33/33 rating. He was selected All-league 1st team cornerback last season and was the league leader in interceptions with 7 picks and 47 tackles.
Old 11-19-2006, 05:44 AM   #9
Northwood_DK
College Benchwarmer

Tight ends:

Unif
Player
HT
WT
Exp
OnTm
Until
Cap Cost
Save Release
Status
College
Deron Horton
6-0
---
$0
$0
Uns.
San Jose State
Courtney Anderson
6-6
$500,000
$500,000

San Jose State
Randal Williams
6-3
UFA
$500,000
$0
FA
New Hampshire

Deron Horton was another undrafted FA picked up before last season with a good upside. If he keeps developing he will hopefully be able to both block and catch passes. Unfortunately he got butter-fingers and drops a lot of balls. He got very little playing time last season but might be worth bringing back for another season.

Courtney Anderson was the starter for most of last season and showed absolutely nothing. 1 KRB and 91yds receiving was all he managed in 12 starts and now he got the nerve to be disgruntled. I recommend we cut his sorry ass and sign a player who can help run block for Jordan instead.

Rabdal Williams had 13 catches for 122yds and 2 TDs last season. That’s good numbers but he god absolutely no upside and we will properly be able to find better players in FA to replace him.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 11-20-2006, 10:46 AM   #10
Northwood_DK
College Benchwarmer

Wide receivers:

Unif
Player
HT
WT
Exp
OnTm
Until
Cap Cost
Save Release
Status
College
Kevin McMahan
6-2
$410,000
$400,000

Maine
Randy Moss
6-4
$11,770,000
$9,750,000

Marshall
Johnnie Morant
6-4
$550,000
$500,000

Syracuse
Jerry Porter
6-2
$3,150,000
$1,000,000

West Virginia
Jose Carter
5-11
---
$0
$0
Uns.
Oregon
Ronald Curry
6-2
$6,540,000
$6,500,000

North Carolina

Kevin McMahan was the 47th pick of the 7 round in last year’s draft. With 144yds he was the teams leading punt returner. He also had 8 catches for 107yds. He is a big play receiver without much upside. He got 2 years left on his contract and will possible be 4th or 5th receiver in the depth chart this season depending on who is staying/going.

Its impossible to deny that Randy Moss got talent but a 10-year veteran with a $12mil cap cost is hard to swallow when you don’t have a quarterback to get him the ball. He is willing to renegotiate his contract but it will cost us another $10mil in guarantied bonus money and keep him in Oakland until 2010. It might be an option to try to trade him but no team is willing to take on his huge salary so he might be a tough sell.

Johnnie Morant is another average receiver on the Oakland roster. 18 catches for 236yds last season in his 4 starts. He has a nasty tendency to drop balls.

Jerry Porter had just 498yds in 13 starts last season and comes with an ugly 36/36 rating. A closer look show that he is both a mentor and the receiver’s leader and recognized by the fans around the bay. Most of his cap cost is tied up in guarantied bonus money so he is a guarantied stay for now.

Jose Carter was picked up in week 7 last seasons and got to start 2 games and had 12 catches for 88yds. His skills on special teams will earn him a new contract this season despite his physical shortcomings.

Why Ronald Curry have been offered a $6.5mil contract for this season is a mystery. With his 27/39 rating he is the teams 4th highest paid player this season. He was the #1 target for Aaron Brooks last season but only cached 50% of the 102 balls coming his was. He turned those catches in to 722yds but only 2 TDs. He is an excellent big-play receiver but their is just no way he is worth $6.5mil and he is not willing to take a pay-cut. Say goodbye to Mr. Curry.

Last edited by Northwood_DK : 11-20-2006 at 10:55 AM.