Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-08-2010, 03:39 PM   #1
A-Husker-4-Life
College Prospect

Suh to get Fined ... for a Push

Ndamukong Suh of Detroit Lions fined $15,000 for hit on Jay Cutler - ESPN

The NFL is getting friggin ridiculous with all these fines. Suh is just displaying how strong he is on that play. He pretty much pushes Jay to the ground and gets flagged for it. If thats illegal, then the NFL has pretty much called it quits and I'll follow suit shortly.. F%#@ the NFL

Last edited by A-Husker-4-Life : 12-08-2010 at 03:43 PM.
A-Husker-4-Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:40 PM   #2
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

I agree that the fine is ridiculous, but do you really need a new thread for this?
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:44 PM   #3
A-Husker-4-Life
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
I agree that the fine is ridiculous, but do you really need a new thread for this?

Hmmm, where's the other post about it?
Old 12-08-2010, 03:46 PM   #4
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Probably in the weekly NFL thread.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:51 PM   #5
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Just...wow.

I understood the call on the field. It was a BAD call, but at full speed, it looked a lot worse than it was. The fact that the NFL viewed the replay of this (where it quite clearly showed it was nowhere near an illegal hit) and decided to fine Suh is absurd.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:56 PM   #6
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Just...wow.

I understood the call on the field. It was a BAD call, but at full speed, it looked a lot worse than it was. The fact that the NFL viewed the replay of this (where it quite clearly showed it was nowhere near an illegal hit) and decided to fine Suh is absurd.

NFL = No Fun League.

I watch less and less of it every season.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:43 PM   #7
miami_fan
Coordinator

So now a push in the back of a runner (not a QB) is a non football act? Wow.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:07 PM   #8
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

He should hire a lawyer and Suh the NFL to get the money back.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:40 PM   #9
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

NFL Videos: Suh's illegal hit on Cutler

For anybody who hasn't seen it.

Last edited by Matthean : 12-08-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:42 PM   #10
MJ4H
Coordinator

Can see both sides, honestly.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:46 PM   #11
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

No way that should have been a penalty or a fine. Ridiculous.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:18 PM   #12
RainMaker
General Manager

His problem is that he's so freakishly strong that it made the hit look much worse than it was. The league has made it clear that they don't want their pretty white quarterbacks getting hit in any form.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:35 PM   #13
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
The league has made it clear that they don't want their pretty white quarterbacks getting hit in any form.

(plays devil's advocate)

So you are saying that the league doesn't have the same kind of issues with black QBs?
Old 12-08-2010, 07:39 PM   #14
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The penalty was a bad call, though watching in real time you can see where they could make a mistake. It looked so violent. But watching any replay of the push, it's clearly not a penalty and definitely not suspension worthy. Shoving too hard to make a tackle? Really?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:50 PM   #15
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

He touched a QB. He's lucky he doesn't get banned for such an act. Clearly despicable. (Clearly sarcastic.)
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:57 PM   #16
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
(plays devil's advocate)So you are saying that the league doesn't have the same kind of issues with black QBs?

I think they are more concerned with pretty boy QB's they see as (potential) "green".

To be honest though, I had to look at the stats to see how many black QB's were even getting playing time in the NFL at the moment. I could name two off the top of my head, & only one of those is a fairly easy call as to marketability. The others I would have had to think for a while to come up with, which says something about their current promotional value I think.

I believe it's about the green, but as hard as I am typically about the playing of the race card, I could see where someone might draw a bit of a racial conclusion about it if they were so inclined.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:13 PM   #17
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Looking at the replay, I would think that if Suh could have wrapped Cutler up, his momentum would have had him riding Cutler to the ground. As painful as impacting the turf appeared to be, there'd be more risk of injury to Cutler if Suh landed on him, right?
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:24 PM   #18
wade moore
lolzcat

What's baffling in the run of fines is how if you look at them together Andre Johnson only got 25k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:07 PM   #20
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
So throwing an elbow to the back of his head is okay?

That's what it looked like to me.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:12 PM   #21
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Looked like an elbow to me as well.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:33 PM   #22
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I think they are more concerned with pretty boy QB's they see as (potential) "green".

To be honest though, I had to look at the stats to see how many black QB's were even getting playing time in the NFL at the moment. I could name two off the top of my head, & only one of those is a fairly easy call as to marketability. The others I would have had to think for a while to come up with, which says something about their current promotional value I think.

I believe it's about the green, but as hard as I am typically about the playing of the race card, I could see where someone might draw a bit of a racial conclusion about it if they were so inclined.
I was mostly joking about the race thing. It is about the money and protecting the players that they want to be the face of the league. I just find it amusing if that was some average runningback who Suh tackled, nothing would have been called. I just find the whole "we care about player safety" line they keep feeding everyone to be laughable, especially when they are pushing an 18 game season.

If someone wanted to argue race, I guess they could. Quarterback is mostly a white position and the rules are extremely strict. Can't hit them low, can't hit them high, can't throw them down, and so on. While a skill position such as WR or RB don't exactly have that kind of protection and take much more ferocious hits on an almost play-by-play basis.

I would be interested in seeing what quarterbacks have gotten the most roughing calls. I have a feeling that we'd see Brady and Manning awfully high on that list.

Last edited by RainMaker : 12-08-2010 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:38 PM   #23
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I was mostly joking about the race thing. It is about the money and protecting the players that they want to be the face of the league. I just find it amusing if that was some average runningback who Suh tackled, nothing would have been called. I just find the whole "we care about player safety" line they keep feeding everyone to be laughable, especially when they are pushing an 18 game season.

If someone wanted to argue race, I guess they could. Quarterback is mostly a white position and the rules are extremely strict. Can't hit them low, can't hit them high, can't throw them down, and so on. While a skill position such as WR or RB don't exactly have that kind of protection and take much more ferocious hits on an almost play-by-play basis.

I would be interested in seeing what quarterbacks have gotten the most roughing calls. I have a feeling that we'd see Brady and Manning awfully high on that list.

Brady and Manning don't get hit enough to get that many roughing calls I would say.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:50 PM   #24
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
The league has made it clear that they don't want their pretty white quarterbacks getting hit in any form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

The NFL has clearly not seen Cutler play.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:55 PM   #25
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

After watching the video slowed down in VLC, I am pretty certain that Suh does not elbow Cutler. But he does appear to give a straight arm to the back to Cutler's head (either initially or his hand rides up Cuter's back, I can't tell).

fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:26 PM   #26
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantom1979 View Post
After watching the video slowed down in VLC, I am pretty certain that Suh does not elbow Cutler. But he does appear to give a straight arm to the back to Cutler's head (either initially or his hand rides up Cuter's back, I can't tell).

It only looks like an elbow in real time which is why the flag was thrown. Why the fine happened is a lot more perplexing.

Last edited by Matthean : 12-09-2010 at 07:41 AM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:41 PM   #27
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
It only looks like an elbow in real time which is why the flag was thrown. Why the fine happened is a lot more perplexing.

It's still a blow to the back of the head.

Last edited by EagleFan : 12-08-2010 at 10:42 PM.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:21 AM   #28
RainMaker
General Manager

Quick fix for the NFL game. Make a weight limit for each position.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:32 AM   #29
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

I think overall, the NFL got this right. Suh should have been penalized. It appears that he hit Cutler in the head. The official just called it incorrectly, probably due to what he saw in real time.

The NFL was also correct in giving him a fine for the blow to the head. If the picture above is also what the NFL saw, it just would have been nice if the NFL had issued a statement to clear it up.

From the NFL rulebook:
"A defensive player may not contact an opponent above the shoulders with the palm of his hand except to ward him off on the line."
Old 12-09-2010, 01:40 AM   #30
RainMaker
General Manager

My other suggestion for the NFL. How about going to the college review system and using it for these kind of penalties too? It's impossible to tell at regular speed what the intention and where the actual hit took place. So why not let a replay booth observe it and send a message down to the official that says "that was a hit to the head" or "he actually hit his shoulder". Just have a feeling one of these calls is going to decide a playoff game this year.

And of course use the college system everywhere. Just have a licensed official in the booth (I'm sure they can afford this) who will make the reverse calls when need be. No more 5 minute delay to look under the hood.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:43 AM   #31
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Overall, I think the NFL review system is a joke. It is baffling to me that in 2010 the referee still has to run over to review a play personally. It seems to me that the college system in general is more effective (this coming from a NFL fan that maybe watches 10 college games a year).
Old 12-09-2010, 01:44 AM   #32
RainMaker
General Manager

I wonder if commercials play a role in this. Seems they get a couple extra commercial breaks in during these reviews.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:48 AM   #33
RainMaker
General Manager

I'd also go even farther on the official upstairs idea and say they should be mic'd in with the head official on the field and can help with spotting or lateral issues. Not saying they have to make the call or anything, but give officials a little help when a player is down.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:28 AM   #34
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
What's baffling in the run of fines is how if you look at them together Andre Johnson only got 25k.

Max limit for a "fight" per the CBA is $25K. I think this is the only specified foul, the other's are the league discretion.

Richard Seymour received the same fine for his "fight" with Roethlisberger.

Now, the fact Johnson was not suspended for a game, I agree with you is pretty silly.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:02 AM   #35
MJ4H
Coordinator

Yeah definitely looks like Cutler got, at the minimum, hit in the back of the head. Really no need for it. I can see the fine, but I can also see how it looks worse than it is at first glance.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote