Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-08-2013, 01:07 AM   #1
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Help with Windows - locating a folder

So I have this issue. For years I had a folder on my desktop called Cards and Stuff (Windows Vista). About six months ago I combined many of my folders into smaller numbers of folders and moved them to new places in order to clean up my desktop. My folder place was c:/users/abe/desktop/Cards and Stuff.

I moved things around, renamed them, etc. I want to find out where the cards in that folder went. I can find the files in that folder when i do a search, but they pop up with the old location. They won't open that location is not in the Desktop section.

So, where are they? I thought maybe they were deleted, bu I deleted some other files to check, they didn;t how up on the search at all, so they aren;t deleted, they just are showing up with the old c:/users/abe/desktop/Cards and Stuff location.

Is there a way I can find out where they are? Does anyone know why my search won;t pinpoint their new location?

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:10 AM   #2
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

No one has seen it before or heard of it?

Old 05-09-2013, 09:50 AM   #3
wishbone
High School JV

If search says they are in the old location and you are able to open the files through search then I would assume that Windows is correct. There are 2 things I can think of that could cause this:
1. The folder Cards and Stuff is hidden on your desktop. You could go to Control Panel > Folder Options and enable "Show hidden files and folders" to see if it shows up.
2. When you login you are not logging in as abe. I have seen this happen after someone changes the name on their profile or starts using another account on the PC.

Good Luck!
wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:54 PM   #4
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Moving stuff around in the 'users' folder can always be kind of sketchy, as those directories can be tied to registry value. I don't have any Vista experience, so that's about all the 'help' I can offer....maybe this'll point you in the right direction:

Personal User Folder - Restore Missing Folder
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:56 PM   #5
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Thanks.

I looked at some of these ideas, and found out that it was an old, non-updated thing. So I d/led this tool from Microsoft, ran it, and it fixed my search stuff, updating it. Those fils are no longer anywhere on my PC, and that's why they were unable to be found - they were ghost images. That sucks. I must have deleted this folder accidentally when moving things around a few months ago.