Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-07-2020, 06:28 AM   #1
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Alternatives to Facebook/Twitter/etc...

I took a long walk with the dog this morning and decided to get away from social media for a while. I have thought about it before but have realized I am not getting nearly out of it what I used to. For every picture of friends kids, etc...there are ten political memes, community arguments, family members posting Trump propaganda, etc...Twitter is well, Twitter.

Anyone have good alternatives. I like most people grab my phone while waiting at the DMV, Car wash, etc...and waste a few minutes on these sites. Any good sites/apps that may fill that time while keeping the blood pressure down?

Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:01 AM   #2
PilotMan
Head Coach

Instagram for all your community approved hot photo needs.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:38 AM   #3
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Pretty much anywhere on the internet ends up with political content in my experience. Various sites or subgroups like some Facebook groups can sometimes be trusted to avoid constant political content. (Local pets Facebook groups etc).

Where it comes to family or friends that post it non stop, I just have to either be selective in scrolling past stuff or even mute them (not unfollow just don’t see their updates).

This is actually one of my largest annoyances that I deal with I guess my own version of first world problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:42 AM   #4
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'm just here to make a Myspace joke

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:49 AM   #5
JPhillips
General Manager

You're all slipping.

The answer is SportsDigs.
Old 06-07-2020, 10:17 AM   #6
spleen1015
Coordinator

For months, my mood has been dictated too much by the political climate on the internet. For a while now, I have had to look for more reasons to believe that Trump is doing a terrible job. It was really getting to me. It seems like every time you turn around, there is a new low.

On Wednesday night I was talking to my wife about this and I think I figured out what my issue is. I supported Trump becoming president at first. Then before the election I decided I didn't like him as an option. Didn't like Hilary either so I abstained my POTUS vote in 2016.

Now, I feel ashamed that I thought he should get elected. I don't judge anyone that supports him but I can't believe that people do. I know of some every intelligent people who support him and it blows my mind.

After that conversation with my wife, I stopped hitting Twitter. I don't view any of the COVID or political threads on here either. I feel a lot better. I'm not getting angry about this shit anymore.

I ditched Facebook in December, deleted my account.

I hope you find what you are looking for Lathum. Too much negative will get you down.
Old 06-07-2020, 10:24 AM   #7
cuervo72
Head Coach

Alan T is right. Basically, you're going to find the same shitty people just about anywhere.
Old 06-07-2020, 10:35 AM   #8
molson
General Manager

Stop following anyone on Facebook who posts political memes. Start following Facebook groups posting positively about topics you care about.

I get all the best parts of social media with (almost) none of the memes and toxicity. It's a highly customizable experience.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 10:53 AM   #9
Ironhead
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
You're all slipping.

The answer is SportsDigs.

Not really. We didn't even need to post this reminder because it was already on SportsDigs two weeks ago.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 11:44 AM   #10
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Doesn't sound like it meets your needs entirely, but I was super excited when I discovered I could install the Messenger component of Facebook onto my phone and PC without accessing Facebook proper.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 12:16 PM   #11
stevew
Hall Of Famer

if you keep 30 day snoozing people for shitposting and block/unfollow the severe offenders, FB isn't too bad.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 12:48 PM   #12
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
if you keep 30 day snoozing people for shitposting and block/unfollow the severe offenders, FB isn't too bad.
This. My feed is mostly family updates and funny memes now. I unfollow anybody that posts political crap, and I don't anything political.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 02:56 PM   #13
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Damned sure isn't Instagram. I've eliminated virtually everyone I know personally from being followed there and most of the strangers aren't any better. There's a higher ratio of non-political on Twitter than my IG ended up :/
Old 06-07-2020, 02:58 PM   #14
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Damned sure isn't Instagram. I've eliminated virtually everyone I know personally from being followed there and most of the strangers aren't any better. There's a higher ratio of non-political on Twitter than my IG ended up :/

Dude, if you're having problems with IG, you're wasting your time following the wrong things. I almost exclusively use IG for time wasting, photo inspiration and hotness. It does amazing for those things.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 03:42 PM   #15
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Dude, if you're having problems with IG, you're wasting your time following the wrong things. I almost exclusively use IG for time wasting, photo inspiration and hotness. It does amazing for those things.

That's been a fair bit of my follows, but the politics has even infected some of the hotness :/

On the bright side at least I've culled a lot of band accounts from social media, that was a category that I'd been suffering serious bloat in anyway.
Old 06-07-2020, 05:08 PM   #16
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Alan T is still alive?
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 05:16 PM   #17
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Alan T is still alive?

Yup!