Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-30-2012, 01:17 PM   #701
Galaril
Pro Starter

Yeah the wife and I are excited for the season 2 this week on HBO but am wondering about the future of the series on TV. So as there look to be still two more books and the HBO series is running one year for a book how the hell does this thing ever align with George and the fact he writes one book every 6-8 years! I mean with the Dances with Dragons book now we are looking at 2013 for the book 3, 2014 for Book 4 and 2015 for Dances with Dragon and so 2016 would be book 6 and 2017-18 for the finale book . I doubt Martin will even have the next book out by 2016 but possible but no way he will have the last book out. HBO won't wait five till 2022 for Martin to finish the series so what would they do make their own ending themselves? I suppose it could go to the movie theater and something like the Hobbit is doing to three movies to cover the last book.

Last edited by Galaril : 03-30-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:23 PM   #702
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

As of right now, they seem to be leaning towards dividing Book 3 into 2 seasons... and if that's their plan I'd imagine they'd combine Dance with Dragons and Feast for Crows (they aren't going to have TV seasons without favorite characters) and do it in 3 seasons.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 03-30-2012 at 01:24 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:10 PM   #703
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
As of right now, they seem to be leaning towards dividing Book 3 into 2 seasons... and if that's their plan I'd imagine they'd combine Dance with Dragons and Feast for Crows (they aren't going to have TV seasons without favorite characters) and do it in 3 seasons.

So that would be even worse for the show as we may not even have the next book done in time.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:19 PM   #704
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

How would that be worse? CoK in 2012, SoS.1 in 2013, SoS.2 in 2014, combined DwD& FfC.1 in 2015, .2 in 2016, and .3 in 2017, meaning 2018 for the first part of Winds of Winter.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:33 PM   #705
spleen1015
Coordinator

I hope the success of the show gives Martin incentive to get off his ass and finish the books.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:42 PM   #706
JPhillips
General Manager

The much bigger concern is that Martin dies before finishing.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:59 PM   #707
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

Literally.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:59 PM   #708
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

(Zing #2)

The much bigger concern is that the Earth falls into the expanding red giant Sun before Martin finishes.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:07 PM   #709
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I hope the success of the show gives Martin incentive to get off his ass and finish the books.

I think he's had plenty of incentive from the insane amounts of money he makes from the books.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:03 PM   #710
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
I think he's had plenty of incentive from the insane amounts of money he makes from the books.

Yeah because if nothing else human history is full of people who hit the big time and big bucks who crackdown and work harder
Old 03-30-2012, 11:03 PM   #711
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well he ain't going to make the big bucks going forward without the work .
Old 03-30-2012, 11:23 PM   #712
PilotMan
Head Coach

That's what I figure. HBO goes out and says, "Hey we are willing to put big money down on this but you have promise to deliver some product." I was seriously worried when I got to the letter at the end of book 4 that said that book 5 was supposed to come out later the next year. And then 7 years went by. That alone is worrisome.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:39 PM   #713
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Well he ain't going to make the big bucks going forward without the work .

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
That's what I figure. HBO goes out and says, "Hey we are willing to put big money down on this but you have promise to deliver some product." I was seriously worried when I got to the letter at the end of book 4 that said that book 5 was supposed to come out later the next year. And then 7 years went by. That alone is worrisome.

Yes, I am sure George has good intentions but damn if HBO does not have something written into there contracts with martin they are fools and can blame themselves when he takes 12 more years to wrap up the series. Hopefully , someone pulls this thread and this post up to prove me wrong in 5 years but I am skeptical Martin will finish the series in time for HBO to conclude the show. I love that we get such an excellent show to complement the books but figure in the end this be another Deadwood or Firefly.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:41 PM   #714
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Knowing Martin, there is no chance in HELL that he signs a contract that mandates he must have a book out by such and such a time. He's way too stubborn to allow that.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:47 PM   #715
chadritt
High School Varsity

Quote:
Knowing Martin, there is no chance in HELL that he signs a contract that mandates he must have a book out by such and such a time. He's way too stubborn to allow that.

His other option is to have agreed to let HBO write their own ending and possibly present their version before his last book his published, i.e. pull a Scott Pilgrim. Theyre not going to stop making the show just because he wants to take his time.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:16 AM   #716
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadritt View Post
His other option is to have agreed to let HBO write their own ending and possibly present their version before his last book his published, i.e. pull a Scott Pilgrim. Theyre not going to stop making the show just because he wants to take his time.

Yeah agreed they had to figure this writing there own ending in the likely case he does not write two more books in the next 6 years!
Old 03-31-2012, 11:36 AM   #717
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I assume he had himself named an Executive Producer for a reason .
Old 03-31-2012, 12:36 PM   #718
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
I assume he had himself named an Executive Producer for a reason .

Actually, that's pretty standard practice. But with him, it is a little different because he actually comes from television himself. His contract gives him a little say on how the show goes (plus he is to write one script a year), but the actual show-runners are disciples of his, so they are very married to keeping the show true to his world as possible.

(EP titles mean very little. Like Ricky Gervais and Steven Merchant being EP's on The Office, but they have no say and input on the show.)

Last edited by GrantDawg : 03-31-2012 at 12:39 PM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:13 PM   #719
spleen1015
Coordinator

Glad the show it back!
Old 04-01-2012, 09:50 PM   #720
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I want a baby dragon.

And that first episode was great, though I didn't think they'd play up that scene at the end....it was kinda downplayed in the book.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:01 PM   #721
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
I want a baby dragon.

And that first episode was great, though I didn't think they'd play up that scene at the end....it was kinda downplayed in the book.

/tk

Gotta make Joffrey seem even more monstrous, I think. One of the best casting decisions, still. That little shit is perfect for Joffrey.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:04 PM   #722
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Gotta make Joffrey seem even more monstrous, I think. One of the best casting decisions, still. That little shit is perfect for Joffrey.

Agreed. Need to make him seem menacing, monstrous and evil. What better way than to accentuate the deaths of Robert's bastards?

I'm looking forward to Sansa's deepening madness. She's playing the blank/lost/doesn't care role very well.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner

Last edited by Grover : 04-01-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:07 PM   #723
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Old 04-01-2012, 11:08 PM   #724
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I'm out of town right now, returning tomorrow, so I'm going to hold off on watching on my iPad so I can watch it tomorrow on my TV. Will have thoughts then.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:01 AM   #725
MrBug708
Head Coach

I think it was worth it to Cersei for the slap to keep Joffery's mind on that task
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:21 AM   #726
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I think it was worth it to Cersei for the slap to keep Joffery's mind on that task

Are you talking about in hindsight? Because when it happened, in the show, it seemed clear she didn't expect the reaction she got from him. And although it has been years since I read ACOK, I don't recall her having too much control over him in the books either (although she certainly tried).

Cersei is a manipulative bitch, but I always thought she struggled to keep Joffrey under control. She might not have ended up minding the result, but I don't think that slap went the way she intended it (and I believe it was an impulsive mother slap, not an intended control one).

Old 04-02-2012, 09:29 AM   #727
Drake
assmaster

You sass your mom like that in public, you'd better expect to get slapped, king or no king.

That's what I told my kids, anyway.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:31 AM   #728
spleen1015
Coordinator

Don't click the spoiler if you haven't read the book and are only watching the show.

Spoiler
Old 04-02-2012, 09:58 AM   #729
cschex
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Don't click the spoiler if you haven't read the book and are only watching the show.

Spoiler

Agree on the point of disliking him more in the show. The kid playing him is truly the standout actor, it's an amazing performance.
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:15 AM   #730
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Just some thoughts on the first episode.

I absolutely loved Tyrion's entrance to the Red Keep, both with Joffrey's Name Day celebration and the small council meeting. As usual, Dinklage's handling of him and the great dialogue he is given steals those scenes.

I thought the Dragonstone scenes were perfect. Stannis, despite looking different than in my mind's eye, in all other ways exactly matched my impression of him, and no doubt I will get used to the look of the actor as opposed to the image in my head. Melisandre was great. Davos has never been one of my favorite characters in the books, but I thought he was absolutely nailed in the show last night. I may be more interested in him in the show than in the books.

I don't remember if there was an actual scene like that between Rob and the Kingslayer, but I loved that scene.

Spoiler

This happened last season, but it again shocked me just how many perspectives are at play at any one time. I believe it wasn't until the slap scene (or maybe the "power convo" between Littlefinger and Cersei) that we had a repeat of a setting shown previously in the episode. In other words, from the start, the episode bounced from setting to setting, the Red Keep...Winterfell...the Dothraki Sea...the army encampment of the North...Dragonstone...the Wall... I mean, nuts, I think I was 30 minutes through it when I was saying to myself, wow, we haven't repeated a setting/characters yet, and we have yet to see Jon Snow or Arya yet...

Old 04-02-2012, 10:19 AM   #731
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I don't remember if there was an actual scene like that between Rob and the Kingslayer, but I loved that scene.

There wasn't. Rob is barely in the book and the Kingslayer is being kept at a castle, not with his army. I really liked that scene too and look foward to seeing more of Rob's campaign and more of the Kingslayer in captivity.

A great episode. Don't have time to go into any more detail at this moment. I do know that my brother, who was out of town and couldn't watch, texted me while watching the show asking me how it was. My first response was to say "Great so far! But it just started!" Then I checked the clock and realized it was already 40 minutes into the episode. Just FLEW by.

Oh, and... DINKLAGE!!!!!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 04-02-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:21 AM   #732
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Davos is actually one of my favorite characters, so I'm glad his portrayal is good.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:25 AM   #733
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Davos is actually one of my favorite characters, so I'm glad his portrayal is good.

I think my reticence with him and his character is very much a minority impression. By and large, it seems to me Davos is a favored character for most readers of the books. For some reason, though, he never quite took for me, and I always kinda glazed over when I got to his chapters.

Show watchers/non-readers spoiler:

Spoiler

Old 04-02-2012, 11:15 AM   #734
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well Davos's chapters were also far more introspective (dealing with his thoughts) than action oriented. I kind of liked that inner workings of Seaworth's mind and, of course, how he got to where he was (and that also shows a lot of Stannis's character).

For non-readers:

Spoiler
Old 04-03-2012, 10:35 AM   #735
timmynausea
College Starter

The season 2 premiere reeled in series high ratings: 2.0 in 18-49 and 3.86 million viewers for the initial airing. The prior best was last year's finale with a 1.4 and 3.04 million.

Sunday Cable Ratings:’Game of Thrones’ Returns To Series High; + ‘Khloe & Lamar,’ ‘The Killing’ , ‘Mad Men,”Army Wives’ & More - Ratings | TVbytheNumbers
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:43 AM   #736
timmynausea
College Starter

Actually, I just realized that means Game of Thrones just blew by Boardwalk Empire in the ratings. BE's season finale in December got a 1.3 with 3 million viewers.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:13 AM   #737
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I probably turned on half a dozen people to the show after last season ended. All of them thought they would hate it, not into the fantasy thing...etc.

But every single one loved it and eagerly awaited season 2, hopefully that leads to ratings that carry through. Think season 1 created a lot of delayed buzz that may just be realized now.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:37 PM   #738
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
I probably turned on half a dozen people to the show after last season ended. All of them thought they would hate it, not into the fantasy thing...etc.

But every single one loved it and eagerly awaited season 2, hopefully that leads to ratings that carry through. Think season 1 created a lot of delayed buzz that may just be realized now.
I agree. I've struggled to get a few people to watch it (helped considerably when I told them that all "magical" elements amounted to less than 10 minutes of screen time the entire season) but the people I did get to watch it are all hooked for season 2. Of course some of them don't have HBO so they'll be waiting again for the DVD/Blu Rays (which I believe sold very very well).
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:42 PM   #739
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well let's hope they keep watching Season 2, especially when the magical elements get ramped up (lets just say it's going to be a bit more than 10 minutes for this season).

Spoiler

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 04-03-2012 at 01:43 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:28 PM   #740
PraetorianX
High School JV

I do believe the ratings for the season two premier are higher even than True Blood's were for their second season premier. And GoT had better ratings during it's first season than TB did during it's first.

So thus far, things are looking good for GoT. I expect HBO to give season 3 the greenlight soon, perhaps season 4 at the same time as the producers have already said they'll split SoS into two seasons.

As for the actually episode, very good. It of course had some problems that one would expect, introducing new characters and catching up with the old ones. Still, they did it very well.

The direwolves look good. Yeah, they're CGI but they're still well enough done, especially for a TV show, that I'm content with them. The real wolves would have looked just as out of place to me by being so small (comparatively) that I'm more than willing to accept well done CGI direwolves.

And the dragons look fantastic, though I do hope we get to see the other two some as well. Not that I don't like Drogon.
PraetorianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:35 PM   #741
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Well let's hope they keep watching Season 2, especially when the magical elements get ramped up (lets just say it's going to be a bit more than 10 minutes for this season).

Spoiler
Haven't done the spoiler as I haven't read the books. I understand there is more fantasy to come, but figure once people are hooked on the show they're not going to mind fantasy elements.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:43 PM   #742
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I thought it was a very solid episode. It flew by for me. The biggest complaint I had that there just wasn't enough.

Dinklage was fantastic in all of his scenes.

I admit that I am a bigger fan of Lena Headey than most, but I think she's doing a terrific job with Cersei. Great interplay with Tyrion and I loved her scene with Littlefinger.

Two of my favorite scenes from this first episode - the Cersei/Littlefinger "power is power" scene and the scene with Robb/Jaime/Greywind - were both scenes found nowhere in the source material. Great stuff.

I thought they did a good job of conveying Stannis in the scene where he kept correcting the letter that was going out. A nice little insight to his character.

It's odd to think that a potential problem with this show that it has so many actors that are really growing into their rolls - Tyrion, Robb, Jon Snow, Dany, Stannis, Arya, Tywin, Davos, etc. - is that we are never going to get enough of any of them in any one episode. This problem is only likely to get worse.

Also, given some of the changes they have made from the book - like expanding Robb and Jaime's roll in the second season (they are almost entirely "off screen" in the second book), the show is almost trying to pack more in than the books. Obviously, they have cut out entire characters to do so, but it's still a monumental task.

Greywind definitely looked sufficiently dire. The effects looked fantastic. Probably the best CGI'd wolf I've seen to date in TV or film.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 04-03-2012, 02:50 PM   #743
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
Haven't done the spoiler as I haven't read the books. I understand there is more fantasy to come, but figure once people are hooked on the show they're not going to mind fantasy elements.

That is the hope, but I fear that people who came to the series as "fantasy without magic" may start feeling betrayed and leaving when magic comes more into play. They may say things like I really liked the plot, but when they started adding magic, I jumped ship.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:55 PM   #744
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
That is the hope, but I fear that people who came to the series as "fantasy without magic" may start feeling betrayed and leaving when magic comes more into play. They may say things like I really liked the plot, but when they started adding magic, I jumped ship.

I don't think they will. If they do that scene you hide in spoilers well enough - which based on everything we've seen to date they should - I think it has the potential to be a really great moment that will only enhance interest.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:00 PM   #745
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Since the beginning of the show, I have feared that moment could be a massively divisive one...

Spoiler
Old 04-03-2012, 03:02 PM   #746
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

They had a woman full on walk into a burning pyre and come out with not a burn mark on her and also three hatched dragons from what were thought to be petrified eggs.

Honestly, if the "non-magic fantasy casual fans" still came back after that, I'm not too concerned about them getting freaked out about anything Melisandre may do.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 04-03-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:10 PM   #747
Groundhog
Coordinator

My only complaint about episode 1 was the lengthy "catchup" at the beginning. I was looking at the 55 minutes remaining in my media player ticking away as I see footage I've already seen 5 times....

Outside of that, it was a solid episode. I like what the are doing with Jamie/Rob so far.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:58 PM   #748
JPhillips
General Manager

I'll try to dig up the photos of me and company of Uncle Maroje in the Dubrovnik fort that doubles as the castle in King's Landing. Really fun to see scenes and recognize the locale. The fight between the Hound and unnamed knight was roughly where the light board sat during the show.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:15 PM   #749
MrBug708
Head Coach

I'll be in Dubrovnik over the summer!
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:34 PM   #750
JPhillips
General Manager

Fantastic place. Check to see if you're in town during the Summer Festival. There are all sorts of dance/theatre/music events over a six week stretch. Sometimes you can see some big names, too. The last English speaking actor prior to our company at the fort was Daniel Day Lewis.

If you go to the fort it's a long walk up only accessible by a single stair case. Everything we had from costumes to lights to water had to be brought up by hand. The guys hauling all of the film equipment sure earned their money.

I don't know if this is the right spelling, but be sure and find the little shop that sells skoula sandwiches. They're Dalmation ham, tomato and oil-cured cheese and bread and they're delicious. Most nights ended with a walk from the bar to the shop before heading back to the hotel.