Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-28-2012, 06:10 PM   #101
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Haha this one is hilarious, several gems.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:15 AM   #102
mckerney
Coordinator

mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:48 AM   #103
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

that last one is hilarious!
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:59 AM   #104
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Does anyone follow Literally Unbelievable? Some guy posts the best comments from people who mistake Onion article as being real on FB.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:03 AM   #105
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Old 03-16-2012, 09:35 AM   #106
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Report: Only Matter Of Time Before A 'SportsCenter' Host Snaps, Blows Brains Out On Live Television

Quote:
"I'm not a bad person. I'm just doing my job, which is to talk about Tiger Woods even though he isn't very good and isn't really news. Tiger Woods. Tiger Woods. Tiger Woods. Tiger Woods. Tiger Woods. Tiger Woods. There, I did it! I was top in my class in college. I was passionate about sports. Oh, God. Oh, God. Here's Scott Van Pelt."

Just freaking tremendous.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:33 PM   #107
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Purity Of War Marred By One Bad Apple In Afghanistan | The Onion - America's Finest News Source | Onion News Network
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:38 PM   #109
mckerney
Coordinator

Report: Every Potential 2040 President Already Unelectable Due To Facebook
Old 04-17-2012, 12:40 PM   #110
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I've actually thought about that some. How many of us on this message board would be unelectable due to what we've posted? I have to think there's a good 100 posts at least you could use in context and a 1000+ out of context in my "body of work".

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:32 PM   #111
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Peter Jackson Opens Up About His Personal Hobbit Friends In Beginnings Of Genius Marketing Campaign Or Full-On Mental Breakdown | The Onion - America's Finest News Source
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:09 PM   #112
mckerney
Coordinator

Bill Simmons Releases 2,000-Page Book Exploring How Fucking Clever He Is | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

Quote:
BOSTON—Grantland and ESPN sports columnist Bill Simmons has written a new book titled Wit, Brilliance, Insight, Simmons, a semiautobiographical amalgam of sports, pop culture, and American history as seen through the unique lens of how goddamn ingenious Simmons is.

Wit, Brilliance, Insight, Simmons contains 2,096 pages; 84 chapters; 344 charts, tables, and graphs; 186 photographs of Simmons standing next to former Celtics players, sitcom actors, or Barack Obama; six appendices, including one explaining the book's more than 16,000 obscure but undeniably apt references; and an exhaustive index cataloguing mentions of more than 700 Boston athletes, 600 athletes from other cities or regions, and 500 television characters, as well as 6,000 mentions of Simmons himself.

"I'm extremely proud of this book, which I think I'd really have to call my life's work—or, at least, the work of my life thus far," Simmons said at a launch party sponsored by publisher McSweeney's and hosted by Malcolm Gladwell, who did not manage to find an opportunity to speak. "And it's a great book, if I do say so myself. I still think of myself as the Cousin Oliver of sportswriters, but today I feel like Dr. J in 1983."

"That's an unloved late-series Brady Bunch character and the only year Julius Irving won an NBA championship," Simmons added. "Sorry if I lost you for a second there."

Simmons, who began his career as "The Sports Guy" on AOL, broke new sportswriting ground with pieces on how sports, like , is a metaphor for life, and how fanhood when your team is winning is different from fanhood when your team is losing in the same way Diff'rent Strokes is different from Webster—while one is obviously and demonstrably superior, both are far better than nothing.

In his 14-page introduction to Wit, Brilliance, Insight, Simmons, pop culture critic Chuck Klosterman poses the question of whether Simmons is brilliant because of his decision to embrace the entirety of television while writing for people who like to watch sports on television or, indeed, in spite of it.

Simmons himself declined to address the question.

"What I really love about my writing—and believe me there's a lot I love about it—is that my love for my writing comes across in what I've written," Simmons said while signing books for party attendees, some of whom had reportedly requested the honor. "I have in any case been told it does, sometimes at its oddest moments, and that, for me, is a source of great pride. But I confess what I'm most proud of are the comparisons to the greats: Damon Runyon, Ring Lardner, David Halberstam, John McPhee, Aaron Spelling. I'm really glad I was able to make those."

"I've been blessed with an amazing career," Simmons said. "When I think of how my writing could have been the work of any number of people capable of comparing the '80s show Dynasty to the '90s Bulls dynasty, well, I feel like the luckiest smartest man alive."
Old 06-29-2012, 01:15 PM   #113
Grover
Pro Starter

It's funny, because it's true.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:38 PM   #114
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Simmons, more than any other entertainer for me, embodies the largest discrepancy between "guy whose product I find pretty entertaining" and "person with whom I would most hate to interact on an interpersonal level."
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:42 PM   #115
molson
General Manager

I read that entire preposterous obnoxious basketball book and I enjoyed every word. Maybe I need to expand my horizons but I find all other sportswriters boring and kind of the same (and just as arrogant, though in a lower-key "I'm witty!" way). I like the onion article too though.

Last edited by molson : 06-29-2012 at 01:43 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:43 PM   #116
britrock88
Pro Starter

God, that article is perfect. It's taken everything in me not to read The Basketball Book, because I know I'd learn everything I ever wanted to about the ABA/NBA years, but he's the last person I want to hear it from.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:55 PM   #117
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
God, that article is perfect. It's taken everything in me not to read The Basketball Book, because I know I'd learn everything I ever wanted to about the ABA/NBA years, but he's the last person I want to hear it from.

I am very much the same way. I'll see it in the book store and think, man, there's probably lots of cool stuff in there. But then I hear Simmons' voice in my head reading the book to me, and I just can't do it.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:53 PM   #118
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I read that entire preposterous obnoxious basketball book and I enjoyed every word... I like the onion article too though.

Agree on both counts.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:10 PM   #119
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
But then I hear Simmons' voice in my head reading the book to me

I don't listen to podcasts or watch ESPN, so this wouldn't be a problem for me...
Old 06-30-2012, 03:33 PM   #120
Swaggs
Coordinator

Count me as another who is a both a huge fan of his writing, but finds him annoying.

Lupica is still ten million times worse, because he writes in the same style but tries much harder to be funny.

Last edited by Swaggs : 07-06-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:26 AM   #121
Simbo Klice
High School Varsity

I think everyone who's been reading Simmons for long enough is basically at that point. He's still great, but it's gone to his head and that shines through every once in a while and makes you think "What an ass."
Simbo Klice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:53 AM   #122
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
I don't listen to podcasts or watch ESPN, so this wouldn't be a problem for me...

Won't help. You'll create your own annoying and grating voice for him. It may sound nothing like him, but it won't matter, you'll still hate it.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:28 AM   #123
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post

Exactly- he knows his stuff and can articulate it in a clear and entertaining fashion. But he can't stay on topic at all without devolving into some stupid inside joke or pop culture reference .

Look at a random trade value column from a few years ago:
Simmons: True value - ESPN Page 2

He has 2 or 3 tv references in the entire article. Now see what he does now...

SI

Old 07-03-2012, 12:53 PM   #124
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
He has 2 or 3 tv references in the entire article. Now see what he does now...

Has he actually WRITTEN anything lately? I check out Grantland periodically, and all he usually has are podcasts, most of the writing comes from others. I think he did a mailbag a few weeks back, maybe.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:57 AM   #125
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Keith Richards' Housekeeper Has Braced Herself For Finding Dead Body Every Morning Since 1976 | The Onion - America's Finest News Source
Old 07-30-2012, 04:15 PM   #126
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Wendy's Wants Consumers To Know It's Fine With Gays, Disapproves Of Interracial Marriage | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

Destined to provide some great material for Literally Unbelievable

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:24 PM   #127
britrock88
Pro Starter

My mind goes back to when I pulled up the below article in class one day. Pretty embarrassing.

Poll Finds Majority Of Male Voters Would Have Elected Naked Woman

(NSFW, obv.)

Last edited by britrock88 : 07-30-2012 at 09:25 PM.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:57 PM   #128
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Dying Lion Sure Doesn't Feel As Though He's Completing Some Great Cosmic Circle | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

Old 07-31-2012, 12:08 AM   #129
stevew
Hall Of Famer

My favorite one in forever.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:11 AM   #130
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Already providing pure gold....

Old 08-02-2012, 12:14 AM   #132
larrymcg421
Head Coach

More awesomeness:

Old 08-09-2012, 08:21 PM   #133
mckerney
Coordinator

'Romney Murdered JonBenét Ramsey,' New Obama Campaign Ad Alleges

Last edited by mckerney : 08-09-2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:39 PM   #134
PilotMan
Head Coach

After A String Of Accidents, U-Haul Announces Closure Of Aircraft Division

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 08-09-2012 at 08:40 PM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:33 PM   #135
Ksyrup

Future Olympic Star Hard At Work On Her Backstory | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

ALBANY, GA—By the conclusion of the 2012 London Games last Sunday, promising 12-year-old gymnast Alexandra Davids had already begun working diligently on an inspiring personal backstory for the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro. "I'll have to get cut from a team at some point or maybe fall just short at a really important competition," said Davids, who added that temporarily living in a homeless shelter or surviving a school shooting could provide a background that would make her story more touching. "If I could suffer some sort of serious injury and have doctors tell me I'll never be able to compete again, that'd be perfect. Basically anything where I can capture the hearts and minds of the entire nation by defying the odds to win." Davids confirmed that, while she in no way hopes for it to happen, having one of her parents die unexpectedly right before the Olympics "certainly couldn't hurt."
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 08-17-2012, 01:47 PM   #136
mckerney
Coordinator

It Would Be An Honor To Serve My Country, Return With PTSD, Sit On A Mental Health Care Waitlist, Then Kill Myself | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

Quote:
Ever since I was a kid I dreamed of joining the Army. So as soon as I could, I went down to my local recruiter and enlisted, knowing full well that I'd probably be sent to Afghanistan. Now, with my first deployment less than a week away, there's only one thing on my mind: how incredibly proud I'll be to fight for my country, experience crippling psychological trauma, wait indefinitely for the proper health care, and then eventually become so depressed and mentally ill that I commit suicide.

It's what I've always known I was born to do.

It's a matter of principle, really. From a young age I was taught that throughout our history, Americans have had to stand up and fight for the freedoms we enjoy. I always knew that when the time came, I would serve with honor and nobly suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder until my only recourse was to end my own life. So it's with eager anticipation that I head off to the battlefield to defend, be ignored by, and then—left all alone, with my personal demons closing in—kill myself for the land I love so dearly.

Honestly, it would be my distinct pleasure and privilege to not get the medical help I need for injuries suffered while risking my life for my country.

That's why we take the oath, isn't it? To do our jobs with humility and valor, and to come home haunted by visions of our commanding officer, who promised he'd bring everyone back alive, being blown to bits by a cleverly disguised roadside bomb? In my mind it doesn't matter what unspeakable horrors I witness, I'll just be grateful for the privilege of having to wait at least six months to see a VA psychologist and in the interim turn toward alcoholism and drug addiction until I decide the only path to relief is putting a bullet in my head.

I know no greater honor than relying on an agency with a backlog of more than half a million claims that can't get its shit together enough to transfer its paper files to a central computer.

HOO-ah!

I'm reminded of all the patriotic men and women who came before me. Those who had the chance to accidentally breathe Agent Orange in Vietnam and never get a proper diagnosis, only to become estranged from society, spiral downward into homelessness, and eventually freeze to death in an alley alone. And let's not forget the thousands who nobly returned from Desert Storm with a mysterious illness the Army never fully admitted or identified the cause of, a syndrome resulting in chronic pain that prevented so many from ever being able to hold down a steady job.

Knowing about the care they deserved but didn't receive fills me with great pride for my country. And it would be a true honor—this soldier's duty, really—to follow in their footsteps.

But let's remember that behind every soldier are the loved ones whose sacrifices are no less important. You'd better believe I'm looking forward to coming back from war and having to drink a fifth of Jack Daniel's every night just to fall asleep, and even then having nightmares so powerful my wife has to shake me awake. Lying in bed racked with anxiety, she'll no doubt see her husband as a hero whose untreated illness puts her at constant risk of being physically harmed.

And to see the look on my child's face as he watches his own father, fresh off the battlefield, crying in a fetal position in the corner of his living room because he can't get the help he needs, even though he's been calling doctors for three straight months—tell me, is there any feeling greater than that? I don't think there is.

So when I finally can't take it any longer and decide to check into a hotel to end my own life, please know that I have but one simple request: My agonizing struggle and tragically preventable death should be the last thing on anyone's mind. Because the only thing that's important for someone like me, who will be dedicating his life to serving his country, is that my government lets me waste away until I become a shell of my former self.

That's what being an American soldier is all about.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:18 PM   #137
cartman
Death Herald

Damn, I love The Onion.

BREAKING: Bill Clinton Finally Just Shows America His Penis | The Onion - America's Finest News Source
Old 09-13-2012, 06:12 PM   #138
Rizon
Pro Starter

Oh, the Onion done did it today ....

Still amazing that people subscribe to the Onion, yet get offended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:55 PM   #139
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Wow- I was not expecting that when I went to their front page (very NSFW)

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-14-2012 at 05:43 AM.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:52 PM   #140
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Well, can't sent that one to mom.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:55 PM   #141
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
Well, can't sent that one to mom.

My mom sent it to me
Old 09-14-2012, 02:25 PM   #142
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Hilarious

Quote:
The image of the Hebrew prophet Moses high-fiving Jesus Christ as both are having their erect penises vigorously masturbated by Ganesha, all while the Hindu deity anally penetrates Buddha with his fist, reportedly went online at 6:45 p.m. EDT yesterday, after which not a single bomb threat was made against the organization responsible, nor did the person who created the cartoon go home fearing for his life in any way.

Last edited by stevew : 09-14-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:13 PM   #143
cartman
Death Herald

Stephen A. Smith evidently had never heard of The Onion.

Stephen A. Smith Thought An Article About Him In The Onion Was Real
Old 09-17-2012, 05:15 PM   #144
SackAttack
Head Coach

How meta would it be if that were an Onion article about Stephen A. Smith thinking an Onion article about him were real?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:13 AM   #146
Ksyrup

Nick Jr. Suspends Production On 'The Almighty Muhammad's Porkalicious Toon Jihad' | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-21-2012 at 09:14 AM.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:19 AM   #147
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

This is great. I love that Muhammad was to have crazy adventures with his best friend, the pig Abrahammy.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:58 PM   #148
mckerney
Coordinator

Iran news agency picks up "Onion" story, tells Iranians rural Americans prefer Ahmadinejad to Obama - CBS News

Quote:
The English-language website of the Fars news agency appears to have been duped by a spoof story by "The Onion", which claimed that a recent poll had found an "overwhelming majority of rural white Americans" would rather vote for Iranian leader Mahmoud Ahmadinejad than President Obama.

The story only appeared on the English site of Fars - which, like all other Iranian news organizations, is controlled strictly by the Islamic cleric-led government.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:44 PM   #149
cartman
Death Herald

Biden Implores Obama To 'Rub One Out' Before Debate | The Onion - America's Finest News Source
Old 10-03-2012, 08:56 PM   #150
cartman
Death Herald

Mitt Romney Adopts New ‘Ronnie Ferocious’ Persona For Debates | The Onion - America's Finest News Source