Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-19-2010, 02:51 PM   #51
Aylmar
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
I guess I'll have to do just that.

Just seems that every time cameras pickup a player after a play the first thing you see is the mouth guard go into some part of the face mask.

I agree when it comes to the skill guys. They are usually the ones tucking the mouthguard into the facemask. The lineman, however (see Golic), are a different animal. I don't think I've ever seen a lineman do anything involving a mouthguard. Could just be my memory, though.

Aylmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:24 PM   #52
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Also the league went on record saying that they would rather have a rash of career ending knee injuries than life altering head injuries.

Link,please? Not that I don't believe you, I just want to make sure it is in the right context before I rip them.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:06 PM   #53
PilotMan
Head Coach

NFL VP of Operations Ray Anderson was on Mike and Mike this morning, and that was one thing that he had stated.

ESPN Radio

Look at 11:05 on this segment of the show for the quote.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:50 PM   #54
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Cribbs almost got killed last year. I wonder if he needs to reevaluate his running style to absorb hits.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:40 PM   #55
PilotMan
Head Coach

James Harrison was fined $75,000 for the hit on Mohamed Massaquoi. Brandon Meriweather was fined $50,000 for the hit on Todd Heap; Dunta Robinson was fined $50,000 for the hit on DeSean Jackson. According to a report on ESPN, Harrison's fine was the largest because he is considered to be a repeat offender by the league office.

I copied this from a facebook update.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:46 PM   #56
RainMaker
General Manager

I'm totally fine with suspensions for obvious helmet to helmet hits. My problem is that these guys are playing at such a high speed and it's really tough to tell them to stop on a dime when they are attacking a quarterback and completely alter their pass rush because the QB ducked. There needs to be some common sense thrown into these calls so that a lineman who can't stop his momentum isn't penalized 15 yards because he grazed a QB.

It feels like the NFL refs are looking for plays they can make calls on instead of just making calls on actual fouls. There are a dozen or so late hit penalties every week where I realize that there is no fucking way the player could possibly stop his momentum in time.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:51 PM   #57
RainMaker
General Manager

And this isn't trying to diminish the seriousness of these injuries or the violence of the sport, but I do think people need to put things into perspective a bit. These guys aren't being forced to play the sport, and they aren't struggling to pay the bills with their salary. We don't have players dying, and we haven't seen long term effects be as serious as people have been led to believe.

I'm not saying that it's not dangerous, just saying that I'd bet it's safer than being a coal miner or roofer your whole life. There are a lot of dangerous jobs in the world and football is one of them, but it's also one of the best paying of its kind.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:03 PM   #58
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

But when you subtract the million dollar houses, the 7 cars, posse upkeep, pussy upkeep, bling, and child support, and factor in the short career span, these guys are left with less than a coal miner. C'MON MAN!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:17 PM   #59
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
And this isn't trying to diminish the seriousness of these injuries or the violence of the sport, but I do think people need to put things into perspective a bit. These guys aren't being forced to play the sport, and they aren't struggling to pay the bills with their salary. We don't have players dying, and we haven't seen long term effects be as serious as people have been led to believe.

I'm not saying that it's not dangerous, just saying that I'd bet it's safer than being a coal miner or roofer your whole life. There are a lot of dangerous jobs in the world and football is one of them, but it's also one of the best paying of its kind.
Regardless of how much money they make, if steps need to be taken to make the environment safer for players, then take those steps. So a lot of players make millions of dollars, and nobody's died on the field in the NFL (although a player has died in an Arena Football League game), but that doesn't mean that we just accept that these are risks of the job and let it be.

Hell, people could've just said years ago that coal mining was just a dangerous job and as long as miners knew the risks they were taking, it was fine. Of course, if that had been the case, we wouldn't have mines filled with equipment that makes things easier and safer for the miners. We wouldn't have mechanical scoops and haulers, we wouldn't have automatic feeders, we wouldn't have mine roofs held in place by bolts taller than you are, and we may even still be sending canaries down there to test the air quality before sending humans underground.

Why does it seem that we need to wait for someone to die on the football field before accepting that the league is ready to make some changes? We've seen players suffer severe head and neck injuries, and people have even gotten paralyzed. Isn't that enough?
Old 10-19-2010, 08:26 PM   #60
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Husker-4-Life View Post
Maybe we can start handing out Fouls, 6 and your out of the game.. Oh wait, I believe that's a different sport...

I think the NFL needs Yellow and Red Cards...

DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:14 PM   #61
JPhillips
General Manager

Now that numerous studies are out showing the long term effects of multiple concussions coupled with the numerous suicides related to brain trauma, the NFL has to do something to limit legal liability. Even as it is I'd expect a massive class action suit by former NFL players in the next ten years.

A business that knows it's encouraging dangerous behavior and does nothing to curb that behavior is a business that's in serious legal jeopardy.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:49 PM   #62
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Regardless of how much money they make, if steps need to be taken to make the environment safer for players, then take those steps. So a lot of players make millions of dollars, and nobody's died on the field in the NFL (although a player has died in an Arena Football League game), but that doesn't mean that we just accept that these are risks of the job and let it be.

Hell, people could've just said years ago that coal mining was just a dangerous job and as long as miners knew the risks they were taking, it was fine. Of course, if that had been the case, we wouldn't have mines filled with equipment that makes things easier and safer for the miners. We wouldn't have mechanical scoops and haulers, we wouldn't have automatic feeders, we wouldn't have mine roofs held in place by bolts taller than you are, and we may even still be sending canaries down there to test the air quality before sending humans underground.

Why does it seem that we need to wait for someone to die on the football field before accepting that the league is ready to make some changes? We've seen players suffer severe head and neck injuries, and people have even gotten paralyzed. Isn't that enough?
I am all for rules that help protect players. Helmet to helmet hits and other vicious plays have no business in the sport. But you aren't going to take the violence out of football. It's simply a violent sport and it's what we as fans love about it. People will always get hurt playing it and at some point someone will probably die.

Taking the violence out of the sport ruins the sport. As sick as that may seem from a public perception standpoint, it's reality. Earl Bennett blew up a punter during Hester's TD return this weekend and we rewinded the DVR and watched it over twice.

I just don't see what you guys want done. Put some rules on the unnecessary stuff in place. Make sure these guys get the best medical care possible when their careers are over. And warn them of the dangers of the sport. But like many other dangerous occupations, each individual has to determine if the risk is worth the reward.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:04 PM   #63
TroyF
Coordinator

Taking the violence out of football will not ruin the sport. Besides, we aren't talking about taking violence out of the sport. We are talking about taking shots to the head out of the sport. This process has been long overdue and I'm happy the NFL is finally taking action to end it.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:08 PM   #64
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Taking the violence out of football will not ruin the sport.
Yes it will. Violence is one of the major aspects of the sport.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:33 PM   #65
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

Your opinion I guess. I've watched plenty of football games where guys didn't have to get carted off the filed with concussions where I still enjoyed the game. There will always be violent tackles. But those tackles can and should be monitored to make sure they are as safe as possible.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:35 PM   #66
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Taking the violence out of football will not ruin the sport. Besides, we aren't talking about taking violence out of the sport. We are talking about taking shots to the head out of the sport. This process has been long overdue and I'm happy the NFL is finally taking action to end it.

I agree.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:35 PM   #67
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

False. At least not in the sense of "unnecessary violence."
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:37 PM   #68
TroyF
Coordinator

Oh, and one other thing:

When I think back to the Broncos Super Bowl wins in 97 and 98, I remember very few big hits. I'm sure some happened. But I remember most of those games and I don't remember any of the monster hits that caused me to jump up and scream.

Elway was helicoptored against the Packers, but it wasn't a cheap shot or helmet to helmet. Davis was hit hard a few times, always at the end of runs. I'm sure Atwater put a hit on someone, but I damned well don't remember it. The game will live on just fine without people being carted off with birdies flying over their heads.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:40 PM   #69
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Your opinion I guess. I've watched plenty of football games where guys didn't have to get carted off the filed with concussions where I still enjoyed the game. There will always be violent tackles. But those tackles can and should be monitored to make sure they are as safe as possible.
I agree with you on that. But it's still a violent sport and it's something we love about it. We all love when our linebacker stuffs a running back in the hole. When our defensive end crushes the quarterback on a pass rush. Or when our running back trucks a safety. These hits often bring the loudest reactions at the stadium.

Now the unnecessary hits and ones that intentionally injure players are something none of us want to see. But we all want football to remain a violent sport with lots of clean hitting.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:42 PM   #70
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
False. At least not in the sense of "unnecessary violence."
I'm not talking about unnecessary violence. I'm talking about the actual game being violent. Watch an average running play in the NFL and tell me if that isn't violent.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:45 PM   #71
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote