Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-25-2008, 12:28 PM   #1
Poli
FOFC Survivor

GO VOLS!: A RL Youth Football Dynasty

I'm going to use this dynasty to share my growing pains with you. I'm the offensive coordinator (though I feel like I'm in charge) of the Bears, a 9 and 10 year old youth football team in my local town.

I've coached some flag football teams for my sailors in Great Lakes in the past, but this will be my first time back on the field with a real football team in 6 long years, so I'm very excited.

The coaching staff includes Steve, the head coach, and Dave, the assistant. Dave's an Arkansas Razorback fan, but also fairly intelligent. I'm not sure how that works. Steve's looking to push some sort of blitzing 5-6 man defensive line out on the field. I'd prefer something more of a Gap-8, make them root me out of the gap type defense. We'll see how it goes, I suppose.

Offensively, I'm looking to use the double wing offense, something I learned in California. If time permits (and I don't suspect it will), we'll try and install some of the spinner series of the single wing as a bit of a change of pace.

Last edited by Poli : 08-01-2008 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Team change
Poli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 01:09 PM   #2
Poli
FOFC Survivor

We will be one of three 9/10 year old teams for our town. We'll be 'drafting' kids at the end of next week to fill out the rosters. I'm not really excited about drafting kids. I feel like someone is trying to make it all NFLish or something. I'd rather just have names shuffled, drawn out of a hat, pin the tail on the donkey, whatever.

Last week's free "camp" was nearly a disaster. Other than knowing the day and times of the camp, there wasn't much to it. One coach on another team took charge and led the kids through a variety of stretches. Afterwards, the kids were broken down into three groups...with each team's coaches getting to work with the kids.

Initially, we were told, "work on stances, whatever". So, that's what we did...until I saw other coaches were doing the same thing. What a waste of time. I hate having my time wasted, much less a whole bunch of kids on top of that.

I suggested we start doing some two hand touch games/drills (since we don't don pads until next week) instead. We did a variety of things over those three days; 1 on 1, 2 on 2, 3 on 3, Sharks and Minnows. Capture the flag (with a football) was probably the best.

I liked it because it allowed us to see quickness, who's aggressive, who would run hard, and who was timid even in two hand touch.

It's a no contact "camp", so honestly, I would have preferred to work on specific skills. But with the other coaches switching in and out of different things, I felt it was probably better to let the kids have fun while I was able to learn a few things about them.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:31 PM   #3
Poli
FOFC Survivor

This past week's practices were essentially a combine. I found out about that on Thursday, when I was running the kids solo for our group. When I asked how that worked, I got kind of a run around answer, and told we could do whatever we'd like to test the kids.

I came prepared.

I bought a stack of 3x5 index cards, a new stopwatch, and 2 more sets of cones to add to my collection. I left space to write in names later (honestly, I didn't know a large majority of the kids by name, anyhow), and then went down the line adding in the seven drills I was hoping to have them run through:

A4
S4
5/10/5
AL
SL

20 and 10 are yard dashes. A4 and S4 are 4 cone drills. A for agility (shuffle, backpedal), S for strength (bear crawl, crab). 5/10/5 is the 'pro agility', which is a 5 yard sprint to one cone, 10 to the other end, and 5 back to the middle. AL and SL are ladders, agility and strength.

Years ago when I was rehabbing my ankle I bought a long construction type tape measure. It served me well marking out long dashes and such, and it definitely helped in making sure we had the right distances for the combine.

The first day went well, generally speaking, but not as well as I'd hoped. We accomplished about 1/3 of the total drills, but we didn't have time to correct improper bear crawls and things of that nature. We also didn't split up the drills as coaches, we were all involved in the same drill.

I knew it was broken, so after a while, I came up with a better plan for Thursday. We would split up the group of kids as they came to us in groups of three. Each coach had a station, the 4-cone, the pro agility/ladder, and the dashes. I also eliminated the Sx drills, since we didn't have time to correct improper bear crawls.

It worked out great. We got times for every kid in every area this time around.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:49 PM   #4
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I took the data we collected and entered it into an excel sheet packed with formulas and such. I actually found it on the internet and made changes to it to fit my needs.

Unfortunately, some of the kids that were there Tuesday didn't show on Thursday, so it's not completely filled out. However, I do have a ton of data now on the kids that should help us avoid having as many minimum play type players on the team.

For each kid, I took their best time in each drill and used it to compare against the others. I took their 5/10/5 and subtracted their 20 yard dash. I added their agility scores together, as well as their dashes together. Ideally, I would have liked to have had those strength scores...and while I'm at it a broad jump and a pushup count, but there was no way I could get that done.

Anyhow, so I've taken the 5 drill results and come up with 3 numbers. I then added those up. Generally speaking, the lower the number, the better the athlete.

Additionally, we could add or remove points based on how we thought of the kid (knucklehead or good athlete), if he'd played youth football in the past, and on his aggressiveness.

Currently, the range is from 10.5 to 45 for the 62 kids.

Next week we are in pads and we'll be able to see how the kids run, block, and tackle. I have modifiers in place for that as well.

As for right now, each kid has his own page in my file, sorted from left to right based on the total player score.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:59 PM   #5
st.cronin
General Manager

GIDDY UP

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 02:05 PM   #6
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I should have mentioned that neither of the other teams appeared to be doing any sort of tracking of the kids during this week's combine. I saw one team running 40 yard dashes (!) and another running pass routes. Good luck with that, fellas. Personally, I don't think there's much need to see a 10 year old run an 8 second 40, and I could care less if the kids can throw and catch in the double wing.

Each of the three teams will be allowed to keep their sons out of the draft. Since teams could theoretically develop an 8 man staff with the best 8 kids on the same team, the coaching staffs are limited as of right now to just two coaches with kids in the league.

Team A has two coaches and kids, team B is the same way.

Neither Dave nor I have kids, so we're a kid short. I found out yesterday we'll be able to 'reserve' a kid of our choice from the draft to compensate us. Additionally, we'll be drafting first.

That's great, but the best kid that I've seen will be on the protected list. I'm not really all that concerned about the others that are protected at this point.

There was some concern that coaches might try and sandbag some kids by not having them show up for these 2 weeks of the combine and suddenly that kid is drafted really early. However, to be eligible for the draft, a kid has to attend half of days of the combine. Otherwise, the kid will be placed on a team at the board's discretion.

Overall, I'm pretty happy we'll essentially get our choice of the top 2 kids. The draft will be a snake draft, so we won't draft again until 7th and 8th overall, but I like our chances of getting good kids throughout the draft.

With more than 60 kids signed up for 3 teams, there is concern that a 4 team might have to be started. I'm against that. I'd much rather have 20-23 kids on my team than 15-16. Plus, it just drains the talent pool that much more. That's two more kids that will likely get protected, and two more selections out of the draft we'd have to wait.

Pass on that.

Last edited by Poli : 07-25-2008 at 02:07 PM.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:46 AM   #7
st.cronin
General Manager

I am very excited about this dynasty.

knives out
Old 07-29-2008, 08:59 PM   #8
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Today's 6PM practice was cancelled because of the heat.

We're fairly hard core where I come from.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:23 PM   #9
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

Have you made any kids cry yet?
Cap Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 05:48 AM   #10
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Honestly? One.

He ran the pro agility (5/10/5) not only wrong, but horribly wrong. This was after 6 or 7 boys ahead of him had did it right. His time was horrible as he stumbled around trying to get from place to place. When he finished I called him over to me (I wasn't in charge of the drill or writing the times). I asked him what happened and blam! Water works. I wasn't even mean.

I still got it.

Thank goodness he's the son of a team b coach.

Last edited by Poli : 07-30-2008 at 05:52 AM.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:02 PM   #11
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I'm pretty excited about today's practice, which is just an hour away and yet to be cancelled.

It's our first day in pads.

I'm curious as to how this will work. The kids still aren't on individual teams. I hope we end up teaching the kids a proper tackle all at once, rather than having three or four groups of coaches teaching something different to every group.

I'm told we're doing it this way so that we can see the kids in pads as well...because people change when the helmets go on. Big flippin deal.

I'd much rather have another day or two with my kids on my team rather than the group cluster buck that has been the previous five practice/camps days.

I'm not very hopeful about what we'll see today.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:43 PM   #12
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Thread title to be changed, most likely tomorrow.

I've been named the head coach of the 4th squad. I'll be fighting for orange...and unfortunately, black. We'll be an evilish Vols squad, hopefully. We'll see.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:06 AM   #13
Poli
FOFC Survivor

A thread to be started in GD shortly to discuss my drafting options for tonight.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:30 AM   #14
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Check that. I'll just post it here.

Round10 year old draft9 year old draft
1SteelersBearsBulldogsPoliPoliBulldogsBearsSteelers
2PoliBulldogsBearsSteelersSteelersBearsBulldogsPoli
3SteelersBearsBulldogsPoliPoliBulldogsBearsSteelers
4PoliBulldogsBearsSteelersSteelersBearsBulldogsPoli
5SteelersBearsBulldogsPoliPoliBulldogsBearsSteelers
6PoliBulldogsBearsSteelersSteelersBearsBulldogsPoli
7SteelersBearsBulldogsPoliPoliBulldogsBearsSteelers
8PoliBulldogsBearsSteelersSteelersBearsBulldogsPoli
9SteelersPoliBulldogsBearsSteelers

It's a snake draft, picks in red are forfeited due to protecting a coach's son. This allows me two of the top remaining 10 year olds and the top 9 year old.

I can choose to protect two kids before the draft, as if they were my "coach's sons". If I were to do it, it might be with the 9 year olds. Sure, I have the top pick, so choosing the top kid there does nothing for me. However, choosing the 2nd best kid allows me the top 2 nine year olds. That would compliment my top two ten year olds well.

I don't see any reason to waste that on my ten year old selections, honestly.

Last edited by Poli : 08-01-2008 at 02:24 PM.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:38 AM   #15
st.cronin
General Manager

Building your team with youth, I see. Always a good idea.

knives out
Old 08-01-2008, 10:59 AM   #16
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

So, what happens next year when your 11 year-old qb still wants to play?
Old 08-01-2008, 11:42 AM   #17
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I'd look for two young linemen. You can put them on one side of your OLine and run that way the entire year.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:45 AM   #18
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

You need to change your offense to the Run and Shoot.

5 receiver shotgun sets, baby.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 08-01-2008 at 11:45 AM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:55 AM   #19
st.cronin
General Manager

I wish he would post the pdf file he sent me, with his notes on all the players.

knives out
Old 08-01-2008, 12:02 PM   #20
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
You need to change your offense to the Run and Shoot.

5 receiver shotgun sets, baby.

When I was 10 years old our team ran the run and shoot and I was the QB. I wouldn't recommend it.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:55 PM   #21
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
I wish he would post the pdf file he sent me, with his notes on all the players.
Excel file, and I would if I didn't have their actual names listed in the worksheets.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:13 PM   #22
Poli
FOFC Survivor

The draft didn't go quite as planned. Instead of relinquishing their 1sts and 2nds, they lost their 3rds and 4ths.

A few tricks up the sleeves that I noticed:

The Bulldogs and Tigers (previously the Steelers) protected two kids each, but also later drafted a coach's son that just so happened to be in the draft room. The Bulldogs still technically only had two coaches in the room, but the Tigers violated the rule by having three coaches in the room.

I felt a bit ripped off by both moves. I don't officially have an assistant, yet the Tigers and Bulldogs are three deep already? I shouldn't draft their 3rd assistant's son? Why can't a coach move over and help me out? Because it's a bit of the good ol' boy gentleman's agreement, that's why. Crap.

Still, I feel like I raked in this draft. RAKED. RAKED.

I set up with my laptop out, excel sheets, draft list in hand, form to write out who was taken and when, the works. I'm ready for business.

First, though, I got hosed. One of the top 9 year olds got protected by the Bulldogs, that's fine. Steve and the Trojans (formerly the Bears) took the next best nine year old. Now I can protect two. At this point, I was still thinking that this would be costing me my top two picks, so I figured they're better served on the nine year olds.

With the cost being a 3rd round and 4th round pick, I'd have probably been better served taking the 10 year olds.

Anyhow, I took nine year olds based on misinformation. Still worked out great for me, I think. I took Nick C. first. Nick's a hitter, a little redhead with a mean streak from what I could tell. I think he'd be a good back, I think he'll be a heck of a defensive end, honestly.

Nick's ability scores honestly showed average ability. He scored a rather average on the Poli Ability Test (PAT) of 23.26. However, he was quite the talk of the coaches during the combine week and yesterday in pads. He was well thought of, so I took some points off for that. I also took off points based on his experience and aggressive attitude. Next thing you know, he's near the head of the class.

I love the pick, and then I find out there's a rule in the association that states if you take a brother of someone in the league, you are required to take the other in the 3rd round of that age group.

SWEET!
So, not only did I get the big hitter out of the 9 year olds, I just landed the kid's older brother David, who is of the same mold, AND IN THE THIRD ROUND. SWEET!!!

I love this game.

Last edited by Poli : 08-01-2008 at 10:20 PM.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:21 PM   #23
Poli
FOFC Survivor

My next selection stirred up controversy. Imagine that, me and controversy.

Well, I wasn't happy to see my next selection already taken by the Bulldogs, so I scanned the list and found Reece G. I took him.

What I know about Reece G. Likes to hit. Dad coached last year. Didn't do drills. Hmm, I wonder why. Could it be a good old boy play? The "If he doesn't show up there's no way they'll draft him"? Oh yeah.

Only thing is, I saw him and knew who he was early on. When the stopwatches came out, he disappeared. I made note of it. Shoot, worst case scenario I pick up a coach.

No, the worst case scenario is the Tigers throw a hissy fit that I took Reece. "Why did you take him?" Well, he looked great for the limited amount I saw of him. "Oh, he can't play for anyone but me, he's got a bad attitude, he sulls up." Perfect, he'll learn that he can't have it his way every day now, or you'll trade for him. I like that deal.

It got seriously ugly tonight in the ol' Elks Lodge. The boy's father was called, he was upset, threatening who knows what. CRY ME A RIVER going through my mind. More on that later.

From there, we moved on to the 10 year old draft.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:35 PM   #24
Poli
FOFC Survivor

As this started, I was mildly surprised by what I saw.

The Tigers took the best lineman. Good, smart pick, I just didn't think they'd be capable of thinking that far ahead.

The Trojans took a good athlete, but second on my (and for that matter our) list. I later learned they were trying to throw me a bone here and there since they were essentially relying on my data sheets.

The Bulldogs took one of the okie-doke specials, a kid we saw for the first time yesterday. We were told weeks earlier that a kid had to attend half of the practices, but apparently that went out the window right away.

I'm up next, and with the snake, I get to make the next two.

My first pick is Nathaniel M. Good smart kid, who unfortunately is a Sooners fan. I'll work on that. Coaching director had him last year, said he's the smartest kid I'll ever meet. Quarterback, very serious for his age. PAT score of 20.76, put him in the top 5 of the age group. I had him overall as the 3rd best overall. I like him. He'll be my double wing quarterback, possibly a corner on defense.

My next pick is really my favorite. Shoot, I might say that all night long. Connor M. Medium sized kid gave me a 21.97 PAT. Came up 5th overall. Worked hard and hit well yesterday. Dad came up after his son's session and thanked me for volunteering to help since I don't have a son. Revealed Connor had played some football but wrestled last year. Honestly, I feel I could put this could on the offensive line and he'd do well. I think he'll work out well as a fullback since we use that guy as a key blocker on the off tackle toss and he'd likely be a strong runner on the wedge play.

Both kids were the best players available according to my final ranking.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:46 PM   #25
Poli
FOFC Survivor

As the draft snaked around to finish the 2nd and start the 3rd, I watch 4 kids I'd really like go off the board, including some big ones and maybe the fastest kid out there. Two selections were removed because of the coach protection of sons.

Myself, I'm "forced" to take David C., the brother of Nick C. David posted a good 21.84 PAT, and scored even better overall. I had him 6th overall and GOT A STEAL for him at the 12th pick overall...just for picking his brother first.

I could see David as a back or tight end, and teaming with his brother at the other defensive end spot.

My next pick I go big, because the big kids are disappearing. I take Ryan W, who likes to be called Rhino. I had four kids ranked higher, but he was the biggest of those remaining. Ryan was a 25.6 PAT and 17th overall, but the best available lineman. I like Ryan at tackle on offense and defense.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:54 PM   #26
Poli
FOFC Survivor

As we snake through rounds 4 and 5, those four kids disappear quickly. The only other selection (as the Tigers dropped a pick for a coach's son) was probably my next choice.

I take the next two on my list.

Jacob F. was the my 5th rounder. PAT of 24.32 would make you think he's a big boy, but he's only average. However, I noticed yesterday he liked to make contact. I thought, if I can make him a guard or tackle I might be alright.

I was told later that night that he has a history of shying from contact and that he has difficult parents. I think I can work around that, honestly. I'm not going to ask him to take anyone on head on. If he can play guard on both sides of the ball I'm happy.

My next choice was one we are all curious about. He's never played football before. David C. was very aggressive during our tag games, but didn't really stand out with a 23.26 PAT. Still, he was the best available by my ranking, and if he can play tight end and or tackle I'll be happy.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:02 PM   #27
Poli
FOFC Survivor

When my selections came up for the 7th and 8th rounds, I grinned. There were only 5 kids available at this point, so I'd take my two and I wouldn't be stuck with any of the three 'worst' so to speak.

Among those is a kid you'd swear was about seven years old. He is that small. I double checked when I saw he was listed as a ten year old. I knew I didn't want to be saddled with him.

I took Hunter J. in the seventh round. Hunter has played in the past, but his PAT was 25.9. That's fine, he's just a slow lineman, that's all. I liked how hard he tried to compete in the PAT and noted that. He's a bit small in stature, so I'm hoping he fits in at guard.

My final selection was a dark horse, Carlos A. Showed up yesterday for the first time. Didn't play last year but played the year before. All I could go on was his hitting, and he did alright there. I felt real good about that choice this deep into the draft.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:14 PM   #28
Poli
FOFC Survivor

The nine year old draft started and I got top choice of the remaining kids. Six kids are gone already. Two of them are my protected choices and as it turned out Nathaniel M. has a younger brother in the 9 year olds so I'm forced to take him in the 3rd.

"Thems the breaks", I cackle in laughter.

The other three are coach sons protected by the other teams.

I take the best available kid, hands down. Bryce C. was highway robbery. His PAT was 18.53, which was THE BEST of any of the 9 or 10 year olds. He'll be a back in our system, and hopefully a corner or linebacker.

With my 2nd pick I take Ashanti T. More of a need pick, he's one of the bigger nine year olds. I'm hoping to make a tackle out of him. He scored 24.06 in the PAT. There were plenty of smaller, more athletic kids out there, but at this point I felt I had plenty of back type kids. I kind of need to flesh out the line. Given that there aren't many 9 year olds that project well to the offensive line, I felt this was a better pick than most of the smaller, quicker kids. Honestly, at this point, there are a number of kids that are about the same size and same skill sets. I don't really need any of them.

My third pick goes to Noah M, the younger brother of my future quarterback. I have not seen a single thing on Noah, so I have no idea what I'm getting. One coach told me he's a good athlete, so he probably fits into that same size and skill set mold. I'm alright with that at this point. Noah hasn't been out for a practice, so it'll be like Christmas when I finally see him.

Last edited by Poli : 08-01-2008 at 11:14 PM.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:23 PM   #29
Poli
FOFC Survivor

My 4th and 5th rounders are spent on my protected players, which works out great for me. I get to avoid more of those same size/skill kids.

In the 6th, I take a kid I can't believe has fallen to me, Nick T. A same size/skill kid, he posted a rather poor 24.69 PAT. However, he took to contact well and has quite a bit of experience, so I actually had him ranked 11th overall, nearly on top of those same skill/size kids. I couldn't believe he was still there, so I took him. I have no idea where he'll play, but I'll find something for him to do.

The 7th was a kid I had hoped I wouldn't have to take, but the pickings were slim. Just 14 kids left before I took Nick T. Two I'm avoiding like the plague for their attitudes, Four others I'm avoiding because they're the super small kids. In reality, I chose Nick T. and Alex S. out of the 8 kids I was looking at since they were the best available players.

Alex S. failed to impress me. PAT of 25.52, I expected more out of him, honestly. He'll be a backup lineman in our setup. I'll have to find a way to get him plays. I may sub him in and out with my worst starter. Something.

That said, he's still probably a better option than those left.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:30 PM   #30
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Somehow, by the grace of the Lord, one of the teams picks up one of the small kids and another takes one of the bad attitude boys. As I look over the list of availables, which is just now at 6 kids, I grin. One of the coaches picked up on it. He actually called out my two picks.

3 super small kids, he could tell I wouldn't take them.
1 bad attitude. He knew I picked up on that.
That leaves me...with Tyler W. and Nolan B.

I don't know much about Tyler W. The fact he's not super small and I don't know about his attitude is all I needed to know.

Nolan scored the worst on the PAT. A 40. A 40! He's overweight for his size and probably a liability on the field. Still, better than the other options.

That concluded my draft. I felt I did great, honestly. I've got a good idea of where most of my starters are both offensively and defensively. In fact, I've got a decent idea on nearly everyone.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:34 PM   #31
Poli
FOFC Survivor

After the draft, the Tigers approached me about Reece, because "it's in everyone's best interest if he gets traded to us. He won't listen to any coach but me, and it would just be easier this way."

Sure it would, easy for you to land another top kid. After much moaning and groaning, and when I wouldn't relent, I was given the 2nd overall selection in the 10 year olds, a lineman I hadn't seen but who miraculously was drafted by the Tigers, 8th overall no less. He just so happened to have played for their coaching staff the year before as well. Imagine that.

Layne R. will help flesh out the line apparently.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:13 AM   #32
BYU 14
Coordinator

Wow, just got caught up on the draft. Unbelievable this shit is already going on with 9 and 10 year old kids, though it really shouldn't surprise me. I have known a few Reese's. His Father will pull me aside in 5 years at the incoming Freshmen orientation and tell me where he should play, how much he should play and how to best change our schemes to accommodate him....Can't wait!!

Sounds like you did fairly well considering the obstacles, plus the Double Wing could be your ace in the hole. If the other Coaches haven't seen it much they will probably bring 8-9 kids up in the box......which will be just what you want.

Since they have already been in pads are you able to go full pads from day 1 as a team?
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 05:11 AM   #33
Poli
FOFC Survivor

It's a little unclear at this point if they'll let me do that. Even if they have me take a week without pads, I can use it to help install the offense and defense.

I agree, I think the DW is an ace in the hole. A Tigers coach asked me during the Reece fiasco what offense I was going to use. I actually gave him an answer to gauge his reaction. His reaction was, what? As in, what's that?

I told him, "Oh, it's double tight, double wing, just as it sounds. Fullback's in the backfield."

"Oh, so the fullback's your main ball carrier."

I shook my head, "Yeah, I suppose so." Well, actually no.

Anyhow, I like the simplicity of the offense, I think the simple blocking decisions will help eliminate confusion. Gap, On, Down. It doesn't get much simpler.

Formation wise we'll go the conventional double wing, we'll go double slot as well to give more of a passing look at times, and we'll try to mix in some over formations, where the TEs are on the same side of the field. One tight, one split wide.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:32 AM   #34
st.cronin
General Manager

Poli will crush this league.

knives out
Old 08-02-2008, 10:43 AM   #35
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

Go Vols
Old 08-02-2008, 10:53 AM   #36
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Ologist View Post

AWESOME

knives out
Old 08-02-2008, 11:27 AM   #37
Poli
FOFC Survivor

That's pretty good. I was just sent out the official roster, I will be calling parents over the next couple of hours.

I've already been told Nick's mom is on the association's board and is a great team mom. Good. I'm going to need all the help I can get.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:42 AM   #38
Mike1409
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Wow, just got caught up on the draft. Unbelievable this shit is already going on with 9 and 10 year old kids, though it really shouldn't surprise me. I have known a few Reese's. His Father will pull me aside in 5 years at the incoming Freshmen orientation and tell me where he should play, how much he should play and how to best change our schemes to accommodate him....Can't wait!!

Sounds like you did fairly well considering the obstacles, plus the Double Wing could be your ace in the hole. If the other Coaches haven't seen it much they will probably bring 8-9 kids up in the box......which will be just what you want.

Since they have already been in pads are you able to go full pads from day 1 as a team?

Yes that is the biggest problem in youth sports, parents and manipulating the rules in their favor.

In the 8-9 age groups misdirections are money. The defense usually fast flow to the ball and oops someone pops out the backside. I also found cross blocking to be more effective then wedge blocking. 5-3 defenses are the rage, your have your tackle down block the nose and your guard kicks the tackle and the lead backs hit the LB... 4yds min everytime!

Last edited by Mike1409 : 08-02-2008 at 11:43 AM.
Mike1409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 11:47 AM   #39
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I had a virtual cornucopia of emotions reading through this thread.

First anger: You didn't tell me that you were doing a dynasty.

Second hate: Adults ruin youth sports. What crap they pulled with the draft. Where is the Commissioner to enforce the rules?

Then there was happiness. You're treating this seriously and that's been a huge leg up I've had during my own coaching. When I was too busy during basketball to really do the statistical analysis that is necessary my teams suffered. Congrats on that.

Finally anticipation. I really hope this goes well for you. Do you just play the teams in your city or do you compete against other teams as well?
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:07 PM   #40
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Sorry, BK.

We play the three other town teams and then some of the other area teams as well. I think our playoff system is like a bowl, you're done after your 'bonus' game, win or lose.

As far as the commish, I was wondering how that worked myself. He sat there in plain view as it was happening and I really wasn't getting any support in the matter. It's disappointing, but I still think I made the absolute best of the situation.

Last edited by Poli : 08-02-2008 at 12:08 PM.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:10 PM   #41
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
Sorry, BK.

We play the three other town teams and then some of the other area teams as well. I think our playoff system is like a bowl, you're done after your 'bonus' game, win or lose.

As far as the commish, I was wondering how that worked myself. He sat there in plain view as it was happening and I really wasn't getting any support in the matter. It's disappointing, but I still think I made the absolute best of the situation.
I agree. I wasn't criticizing you in anyway I was frustrated with the assholes who put you in that situation.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:31 PM   #42
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
I agree. I wasn't criticizing you in anyway I was frustrated with the assholes who put you in that situation.
Didn't even cross my mind.

Speaking with the parents, I think I got most of them excited about the team. Bryce's dad is interested in helping out, and may have a nephew sign up to play as well. He'd like for him to play on our team as he'd be taking both to practices. Works for me. We're currently at 17 players, tied with the Trojans for the least. The relative part may lead him to my squad.

Nathaniel and Noah are both studs, apparently. I knew as much about Nathaniel, but Noah is a little budding star from what their parents tell me. Nathaniel's currently at a sports camp where he's getting football practice, drills, and instruction a couple of hours each day. Noah just finished 2nd in a state swim meet and will be joining his brother at the camp in two days.

Unfortunately, both boys will be out until mid-August at the camp. So, my numbers are down to 15 right off the bat. Take into account that I'd really like Nathaniel and/or Noah to be the quarterback, and I'm likely to make someone really unhappy if they've practiced at quarterback for a week or two.

On top of that, their dad's a surgeon who wishes he could moonlight as a high school coach. I spoke with him for nearly a half hour about the boys, the team, and football in general. I think I really lucked out with these boys.

David's story is that he hasn't played organized football before. His family has some Tennessee ties (great for me) and they had just moved into the area this past year. That explains why noone knew him and was afraid to take him. I'm crossing my fingers for a diamond here. I really liked his aggressiveness out of the pads.

Jacob's dad was an interesting guy. He definitely had ideas of where his son should play. Ideally, he'd like for him to play corner and quarterback, though I think I talked him into possibly being a tight end.

My main problem right now is what to do at quarterback, though. Do I give Jacob reps while Nathaniel and Noah are out, risking the wrath of Jacob's parents? Offhand, I'm not certain I know of another quarterback option for us.

A few parents expressed they were happy to have me as the coach, that they saw I was excited about the game and liked how I took notes on every kid, not just the 'great' ones.

I failed to reach just three sets of parents, so overall a pretty good day. I spent at least three hours on the phone today with parents.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:37 PM   #43
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Ologist View Post
My wife's officially not funny. I showed her the picture, went to make dinner, and she changed this to my desktop wallpaper.

I just noticed it. Pretty funny, though.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:45 PM   #44
st.cronin
General Manager

Your wife gets the st.cronin prize for funniest Polston.

knives out
Old 08-02-2008, 10:05 PM   #45
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

You're a better man than I, those draft shenanigans would have definitely led to police involvement if I had been the victim of them. Ah the joys of youth sports at the admin level.

On the QB controversy issue, if I'm reading this right I don't know that you have much choice but to give Jacob reps while the other candidates are out.
But I'd also make sure that at least one other kid got some reps early too, at least give the appearance (however unlikely) that he isn't just being handed the starting QB job outright. Also, how certain are you about one or the other of the missing guys being the starting QB for week one? And speaking of which, when is Week One anyway?

My thinking here is that, because of their absence, the kid who is there now might end up at least starting the opener while you've also gotten a look at him at the position you figure he'll eventually play most over the full season during the reps you give to the current second (really fourth) option. Versatility is never a bad thing, even more true with a short roster. And maybe even more true at this age group where players can end up missing games for everything from injury to family outings.

Should be an interesting ride, thanks for taking us along with you.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:27 PM   #46
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I'm still unclear on a number of things: equipment/pads, practice location, schedule. I'd assume it's somewhere along the lines of the first weekend of September, though at this point I'd prefer the 2nd weekend.

I feel very good about either Nathaniel or Noah being the quarterback. Nate came highly, highly recommended and was a quarterback. Both parents raved about how intelligent the boys are as well. He's also receiving more instruction right now than any other player in the league, so if anyone could step in and play the position right away, it could be him.

If I moved Nate to a wing, I could see splitting time with Jacob at the quarteback position. I'm just not sold on Jacob's athletic ability. He came away just under average on the PAT. I'm not sold on his intelligence, either. The main reason I took him, other than he was one of the best available at the time, was because I liked how he made contact on Thursday.

I could give Jacob a few of the token plays where the quarterback hands off rather quickly. I could also get him in for our toss play, where we have the QB toss the ball back and then lead block.

That might keep Noah maybe a little more out of harm's way.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:40 PM   #47
Barkeep49
Coordinator

What position is Jacob playing if it's not QB? What were his parents like? I've got a few ideas.

1. You announce that you are going to consider several options at QB. You give Jacob the majority of the reps, but give a real amount of reps to 1 or 2 other players. When Nathaniel/Noah come back they get in that rotation, and then can earn the position.

2. You give the reps to Jacob and are just honest with him. You explain that you think he might have the tools to be QB on the team, but so might Nathaniel/Noah. So when they get back you're going to evaluate who is the best fit.

3. You tell Jacob that a great situation has happened. He's going to be your backup QB, but because of the brothers being at camp is going to get a great opportunity to learn the position, so if he needs to play he'll know exactly what to do, before learning his other position of X.

JiMG has a good point about the fact that you don't know how much practice time you're going to get with the brothers. What is one of them gets injured? Also consider this: in your offense the QB isn't nearly as important as several other positions. Why tie your best player there, when RB/FB is more important? Give Jacob the recognition of that, while others really get to shine.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:08 PM   #48
BYU 14
Coordinator

Come on Rodney, you know that QB in the Double Wing is just a glorified Guard since he will be a lead blocker on the toss play, throw a lineman back there

Seriously I would go with Jon's idea and at least rep 2 kids, even knowing that when the Brothers get back from camp things will change. This would also give you the opportunity to work Jacob at TE when the other kid gets reps so you can have the "I think this is where your son will help the team most" card ready when you need to move him there.

We always allow the incoming Freshmen to start practice where they "want" to play, then move them to where they need to play within a couple of days if they are not fitted for their choice of positions. Last year our starting center started at FB. His switch was made easy when I explained that he could either be the 5th string FB or compete for a starting job on the line.

We start practice tomorrow and I am excited, in fact you have me contemplating doing a dynasty on our Freshmen team this year.....It would be kind of cool to review it as the year went on. I will have to really consider this.

Oh, think about using unbalanced too......great set for this age group IMO as I would imagine most teams would have trouble adjusting properly....Hell it still works pretty well in High School
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:05 AM   #49
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Stop with this Double Wing horseshit already!

FIVE RECEIVER SETS!
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:18 AM   #50
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Stop with this Double Wing horseshit already!
FIVE RECEIVER SETS!

Serious question: is there a non-all star team of 9/10 year olds anywhere that have five players who can catch a ball consistently?