Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-27-2005, 05:47 AM   #51
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

FOFC ALL STARS - Team Update

Got a call today from K. A. Ton an outfielder I am familiar with. He says he'll be in camp tonight.

JAG's list is still open.
St. Cronin is up
Travis is on deck
Tucker342 is in the hole

By the way, please send a player name and any descriptions you would like used when you send in your seasons

Last edited by Breeze : 09-27-2005 at 05:47 AM.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 06:06 AM   #52
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Another note guys: I realize we have 4 starters already listed - but if you are interested in being a starter feel free to submit one. If you look at the rosters of the existing teams that I've already posted, you'll see very few true relievers. What we'll do is - determine in spring training who will be in the rotation - the rest of the pitchers will come out of the pin - and could work back into the rotation based on their and other pitchers performances.

Last edited by Breeze : 09-27-2005 at 06:07 AM.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:49 AM   #53
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Just a note to anyone that is reading - I HAVEN'T CUT OFF SIGN UPS - SO IF YOU'RE INTERESTED IN BEING ON THE TEAM JUST POST THAT YOU WANT IN.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:50 AM   #54
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

The 6' 4" 195 pound flame throwing right hander Brian Babson, just showed up in camp. That gives us about half of our pitching staff, the battle for the starting rotation is going be very interesting.

Babson is JAG's entry
Old 09-27-2005, 09:39 AM   #55
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealmighty
am i too late?

I was going back through to get the selection order scribbled down when I saw this - Sorry Mighty don't know how I missed it. Yes you are in.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:54 AM   #56
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

FOFC ALL STARS - Player Updates

I got a chance to see a couple of our pitchers throw today. I'd seen them in games before, but never up close. Owen Hunter was the first to take the mound. The long lean righty has multiple pitches that are above average, but it's the curveball that is his bread and butter pitch. He throws it several different ways, which makes it difficult for batters to get comfortable with what is coming. He also has the ability to throw strkes from numerous arm angles. That should also help keep the hitters guessing, and believe me - we'll need them guessing a lot.

I also saw lefty John Williams throw. The 6' 1" 190 pounder appears to have nice poise on the mound, of course Ruth isn't standing the batters box during a side session. He has a very technical and repeatable delievery, which allows him to paint corners well. He also has a very nice change up to keep hitters off balance.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:32 AM   #57
oykib
College Starter

I'm assuming that the program you're using is park and era adjusted in making my selections. Is that the case?
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 10:37 AM   #58
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by oykib
I'm assuming that the program you're using is park and era adjusted in making my selections. Is that the case?

Good Question!!! The answer is yes.

Just a quick update on how players are made in Strat-o-matic. The league's batting average is determined. Then it is split in half. Each batter is adjusted based on how they perform vs. the league. The pitchers are adjusted based on the Opponent's batting average against.

In many of the years (and almost all of the recent ones) Ball park affects are added (so a player in Colorado will hit more "ball park" home runs than one in another stadium. In fact, if take a player who hit say 30 homeruns in Colorado and put him in a neutral park you can expect significanlty lower home run totals.). There is a similar adjustment for singles and one for clutch situations as well.

I hope that answers your question.

Last edited by Breeze : 09-27-2005 at 10:38 AM.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:23 PM   #59
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

FOFC ALL STARS - Picks Update

Tucker is up
Gunner is on deck
KingFC is in the hole

if you need an update on what's been picked let me know.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:50 PM   #60
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

As I was leaving the throwing session with Hunter and Williams, I turned the corner to head into my office when I was run-over by a mountain of a man heading the other direction. Jace Kronside, the big closer had just been at my office looking for me, and he was heading back to the clubhouse. The 6' 6" 240 pould fireballer, reached down, grabbed my arm, and picked me up, like I would my 5 year old.

"Coach, I'm ready to go," exclaimed Jace. "You want to watch me throw?"

I smirked, "Not yet, get settled in and we'll get you some work before the first spring game."
Old 09-27-2005, 12:56 PM   #61
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

I watch Jace walk away, hoping his size will be intimidating to the HOFers. But realizing it won't matter if he doesn't throw strikes. Walks are the quickest way to lose in this league, well that an errors.

I walk into my office and the phone is ringing.

"Hello."

"Coach, this is Sean Treacy."

"The utility player," I ask?

"That's the one, I've been told to report to camp. I just got the call today. Wanted to let you know I'll be in tomorrow early."

"Sounds good. I'll see you then." then as I'm about to hang up, something occurs to me. "Sean, have you played any second base?"

"I love second" he exclaims.

"Good, I'll probably give you a shot to start there. See you tomorrow."
Old 09-27-2005, 12:57 PM   #62
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

note:

Jace = Travis
Sean = St. Cronin
Old 09-27-2005, 01:47 PM   #63
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

if Tucker and Gunner can get there choices in (assuming no one wants to change their selections) we will be able to post 7 more players. That would leave us only a couple more before we can start.

However, I would still like to get an additional 7 players to round out the roster. If I don't I'll go back through the lists and try and fill out the roster with players that didn't get selected. I would hate to do that, because I'd hate to see a clone take playing time away from a board member, but if we don't get others signed up - I don't know how else to handle the vacant spots on the roster.

I am open for suggestions by the way.

Last edited by Breeze : 09-27-2005 at 01:48 PM.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:12 PM   #64
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

If it turns out you don't have enough people interested to fit exactly one FOFCer to a roster spot, how about opening it up for some posters to have two players associated with them? (for the record, I wouldn't want to be one unless absolutely needed). I imagine there would be enough interest among those who already found themselves someone.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 05:42 PM   #65
tucker342
Pro Starter

sent
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 07:21 PM   #66
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Another quick note, and I should have mentioned this earlier - sorry guys. When you pick your player - you will be limited to the number of IP or PAs that they actually had. It probably won't make much of a difference. Most of you haven't picked a player with a low number of plate appearences and the starting pitchers chosen thus far have been workhorses. In addition, there will probably be some platooning going on to keep us in games. But in case anyone needs to make a change in their picks - I wanted you to know.

Remember Strike years are adjusted to what would have been a full year of production.

Last edited by Breeze : 09-27-2005 at 07:42 PM.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:31 PM   #67
tucker342
Pro Starter

This team has no chance in hell, but oh well
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 07:34 PM   #68
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker342
This team has no chance in hell, but oh well

Once I get in the lineup, we will DOMINATE
Old 09-27-2005, 07:57 PM   #69
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

As I'm wrapping up what has been a long day at the office, studying scouting reports, trying to persuade some additional players to come into camp, and determining what I have to work with - I hear the door to the clubhouse open and serveral voices laughing and joking. I walk out and see K. A. Ton walking and talking with A. J. Tucker. Two outfielders who go about their business in different ways. Ton is an indifferent fielder, but boy he can pound the ball. Tucker is more of a leadoff hitter, nice average, gets on base, and he can really run. Plus he's very good in the outfield.

Also present were 2 more outfielders - Gerald Gazelle - a natural athlete who is very smooth in the field, but hits for power, and judging from the fact he once was a 400 meter runner in college, he can run too. The other is Persimmon Pflaggstettler - God that kid has to get a nick-name, how the hell do I shout encouragement when he's at the plate. Pflaggstettler is also a good defensive outfielder, who can run and hit for power. Not nearly as smooth as Gazelle, but production is very similar.

I decide not to interrupt their fun, and I head back to my office. I turn on the light sit down and rework my roster. I notice that I now have 5 starting pitchers, a closer, a thirdbaseman, a utility player who will be in sometime early tomorrow and 4 outfielders. I also realize that of my 6 players I have 2 switch hitters, and 4 hitters from the right side, and no left handed bats. I sigh, boy I hope I get some left handed sticks soon, or we could really struggle against some of these tough right handed pitchers.

I turn off the light and walk out, as I'm getting in my car, I see Jeff Nights getting out of his. I remember Jeff as a slick fielding good hitting shortstop. In fact, he could be as good as any in the league. Jeff see's me as he pulls his luggage out of the truck, he waves and heads towards the clubhouse. I smile, knowing he's going to be playing for me. Then I stop for second - sigh and realize, he's right handed too.

Last edited by Breeze : 09-27-2005 at 08:02 PM.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:04 PM   #70
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Gunner is up
mtaystl03 is on deck
thealmighty is in the hole

KingFC and Jeebs - stand by - I have your lists, but based on what Gunner does one of you may have to change.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:07 PM   #71
Fouts
College Starter

I'm a scrub who is interested in playing against some HOFers.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 09:07 PM   #72
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I want in!

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 05:34 AM   #73
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Sweet, 2 more signee's that gives us 20 (if you count, you'll probably only come up with 19 - but I'll explain later).

Fouts and TK, welcome aboard.

TK - Glad to see you signed up - for a minute I thought you might have been teasing in the other thread.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:45 AM   #74
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Question: Do you guys find the Team Roster and Scouting Reports interesting or would you rather I just list the players names?
Old 09-28-2005, 07:28 AM   #75
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

I like them but possibly a list too?
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 07:30 AM   #76
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Carribean All Stars - Roster and Scounting Report one caveat - I'm not in front of the game and I'm not sure everyone detailed below is on the team, and I'm not positive someone wasn't left out.

SP-Jose Mendez-R/R - was known as "the black Christy Mathewson," but the astute John McGraw once said, "Jose Mendez is better than any pitcher except Mordecai Brown and Christy Mathewson-and sometimes I think he's better than Matty." A rangy right-hander born in Cuba in 1888, Mendez set pro ball on its ear in 1908 when, pitching for the Almendares Blues, he held the touring Cincinnati Reds scoreless for 25 innings over three games. The first game would have been a no-hitter, but Red 2nd baseman Miller Huggings broke it up with a one-out single in the 9th inning.
The Cubans called Jose "El Diamante Negro" (The Black Diamond). He had a white-hot fastball and a hard-breaking curve, using his unusually long fingers to give the ball extra spin. In his first seven years, Mendez led the league in victories and shut-outs five times. In 1909, Jose teamed with fellow Cuban League pitcher Eustaquino Pedroso to whip the barnstorming Detroit Tigers, whose line-up included batting champ Ty Cobb and RBI king Sam Crawford; the Tigers staggered out of Cuba with a 4-8 record. That summer, Jose traveled to the States and compiled a record of 44-2. In 1910, he was 18-2. Mendez was still winning in 1914 when, without warning, his golden arm turned to lead. He dropped out of baseball for several years, but resurface in 1920, when the Negro National League was formed. As manager-shortstop on J.L. Wilkinson's new Kansas City Monarchs, he steered the team to three straight pennants in 1923 through 1925. In the 1924 World Series, he even gave himself the ball as stating pitcher in the deciding game, and at the age 36, like Lazarus reborn, pitched and shut-out against the hard hitting Hilldales.

SS-Rodolfo Puente - Started with Baseball in 1961 and was a shortstop for the Cuban National Team from 1969-1982, a period when Cuba won eight Baseball World Cups. A slick fielder and clutch hitter, he is considered by many to be the greatest shortstop in Cuban Baseball history.

C-Miguel Gonzalez-The patriarch of Cuban Baseball, and the first Hispanic manager of a major league team was Miguel Angel "Mike" Gonzalez, a Cuban national who managed the St. Louis Cardinals between 1938 and 1940 for only 23 games. Although Gonzalez never became the full-time manager of the Cardinals, his short stay at the front of a big league club was significant because it came more than ten years before the next opportunity for a Hispanic. The ‘Pride of Havana’, Gonzalez was a powerful hitter with an above average arm and defensive skills.

OF Francisco ‘Pancho’ Coimbre-Was recognized as one of the two best Puerto Rican players of all time along with Perucho Cepeda. Halll of Fame pitcher Satchel Paige often said that Coimbre was the most difficult batter he ever faced. Unfortunately, Cepeda and Coimbre could not play in the Majors because of their skin color. Coimbre was a dominating right-handed hitting outfielder, with above average defensive skills and surprising speed on the base paths.

SP-Fernando Valenzuela-En route to being named TSN Player of the Year in 1981, Valenzuela, the Mexican star long sought by the Dodgers, ushered in Fernandomania and turned Dodger Stadium into a Mexican fiesta on the nights he pitched. No one had ever broken in quite like Valenzuela. He won his first ten major league decisions and was the first rookie to win the Cy Young Award, and his eight shutouts (including five in his first seven starts) tied the rookie record in a season a third shorter than usual due to the players' strike. The youngest of twelve children from a Mexican farm family, Valenzuela, who spoke through an interpreter his rookie year, was successful after he learned the screwball from former Dodger Bob Castillo and had even learned to throw it at two different speeds. In April 1986, he became the first to win Pitcher of the Month honors despite a losing record when he went 2-3 with a 0.21 ERA en route to setting a new major league record of 44.1 consecutive innings without an earned run at the start of a season. His Ruthian physique was deceptive, as he was a good all-around athlete. He won a Silver Bat in 1983 and a Gold Glove in 1986, pinch hit on occasion, and even played outfield during a 21-inning game. In 1983 Valenzuela became the first player awarded $1 million in arbitration.

SP-Luis Tiant Sr.- A Negro League standout, Tiant was a master of changing speeds, a junkball-screwball pitcher with a herky-jerky motion and a superior pickoff move. He was also a fierce competitor; according to one of his beanball victims, the Philadelphia Stars' Ted Paige, "he gave no mercy to any batter." In October of 1935, Tiant's New York Cubans defeated the Babe Ruth All-Stars 6-1 and 15-3. Tiant pitched both games and held Ruth to one scratch single. At age 41, still pitching for the Cubans, he fashioned a 10-0 record with eight complete gamesand three shutouts. In 1975, Cuban leader Fidel Castro allowed Tiant to go see his son, Luis, Jr., pitch for the Boston Red Sox in the World Series.

SP-Luis Tiant Jr.- A right handed version of his daddy, and a nice pitcher for the Red Sox for a number of years. (His daddy's better though).

SS-Dave Concepcion
- came out of Venezuela to become one of baseball's greatest shortstops. Wearing number 13, the lithe infielder won the position in 1972 after sharing it with Woody Woodward for two seasons. In 1973, Concepcion was named captain of the Reds. The winner of five Gold Gloves, he also started five All-Star Games from 1973 to 1982, more than any other NL shortstop during that period. In 1978 Concepcion became the first Cincinnati shortstop to bat .300 since Joe Tinker in 1913. Hampered by an elbow injury in 1980, Concepcion took advantage of the Astroturf at Riverfront Stadium and developed the one-hop throw to first base to reduce arm strain. The winner of the Roberto Clemente award as the top Latin American ballplayer in the majors in 1977, he led the NL with 14 game-winning RBI in 1981, when he was the Reds' MVP. In four World Series, Concepcion hit better than .300 three times and topped .400 in the 1975 and '79 LCS. He played over 100 games at shortstop 12 straight years (1974-85) and in 14 of 15 seasons, with injury cutting into his 1973 season. Replaced by Barry Larkin in 1986, Concepcion became a dependable handyman working at all four infield positions. Only Pete Rose is ahead of him in doubles (389), games, hits (2,326), and at-bats in Reds history, and only Joe Morgan has more Reds stolen bases than Concepcion's 321. Concepcion also ranks in the Reds' top five in runs, RBI, and total bases. On his retirement, he was only 44 games away from Larry Bowa's NL record for shortstops.

1B/LF - Perucho ‘Pedro’ Cepeda-Orlando Cepeda's father, Perucho, was a big powerful hitting first baseman/outfielder. Nicknamed "Bull", Orlando became known as the "Baby Bull." A big man who ran well, Perucho was a five-tool player before the term had been invented...and put up statistics in the Puerto Rican league that led some to call him "the Puerto Rican Babe Ruth". More than that, though, Perucho was a national hero in his native land of Puerto Rico.

OF-Rafael Almeida-R/R Rafael Almeida was born on Sunday, July 30, 1887, and began his Major League baseball career in 1911 with the Cincinnati Reds. The 24 year-old played for 3 seasons on one team and ended his big league playing career in 1913.

P-Jose Acosta-R/R Jose Acosta was one of a host of Cubans (which included his younger brother Merito, an outfielder) signed by Washington during the 1920s. The 5'6" 134-lb hurler had back-to-back 5-4 seasons in 1920-21.

OF Alejandro Ohms L/L
-‘El Caballero’ 1921 through 1935. A colorful player, he entertained fans by catching fly balls behind his back in one-sided games. He batted approximately .325 during his Negro League career. He also played in Venezuela into the 1940s, and was Venezuela's top defensive outfielder in 1943.
Oms made his greatest impact in his native Cuba, collecting 537 Cuban Winter League hits in 1531 at-bats for a lifetime .351 average. He won batting crowns in 1924-25 (.393), 1928-29 (.432), and 1929-30 (.380). He led the CWL with 76 hits in 1928-29 and with 44 in 1931-32, when his 14 stolen bases were also the league high. He played on championship teams in Santa Clara, Havana, Almendares, and Cienfuegos.

3B Omar Linares-The Crown Jewel of Cuban baseball, Linares may be the greatest baseball player in the world playing outside of the United States. A five-tool talent with exception speed, power and defensive ability, the right-handed slugger has played on several world champion and Olympic champion teams for Cuba. He has turned down millions from U.S. teams to remain in his native country. Linares continues to serve as the bastion of Cuban baseball, both physically and symbolically.

2B/SS Antonio Pacheco-Considered one of the 3 best Amateur baseball players in the world, Pacheco is a true super-star second baseman, possessing exceptional speed and defensive skills. He has been captain of the Cuban national team which has won several world and Olympic championships

2B-Roberto Avila
-The Indians signed Avila for only $17,500 out of the Mexican League, where he was already a star. The first Mexican to have real ML success, he was the Indian second baseman for eight years and became a national hero in his own country. In a 1951 game at Boston, he hit three homers, a single, and a double. In 1952 he led the AL in triples (11). He won the AL batting title in the Indians' 1954 pennant-winning year when he hit .341 despite playing half the season with a broken thumb. An adept bunter and daring baserunner, his soccer training paid off several times when he intentionally kicked the ball out of defenders' mitts while sliding.

SP-Mike Garcia-R/R Garcia was part of the great Indian pitching staff that included Bob Feller, Early Wynn, and Bob Lemon. Signed in 1942, The Big Bear spent three years in the military. He went 14-5 in his rookie year (1949). The hard-throwing Californian of Mexican-Indian descent posted his second straight 20-win season in 1952, leading the AL in starts and hits allowed, and tying for most shutouts (6). He again tied for the shutout lead (5) with an AL best 2.64 ERA in 1954 and was 19-8 as Cleveland set an AL record with 111 wins and ended the Yankees' pennant string at five. Garcia lost Game Three of the World Series in which Giants routed the Indians in four straight. Known as ‘the Big Bear’.

C-Al Lopez-The 5'1" 165-lb Lopez had a long and distinguished career as a catcher and manager and was enshrined in the Hall of Fame in 1977. Not much of an offensive threat, Lopez hit higher than .275 only three times in his 19-year career. His career high in home runs was eight (1936 and 1939) and in RBI was 57 (1930). His great value was as an extremely durable receiver. For many years he held the record for most games caught in the major leagues (1,918) and the NL (1,861), and for most years in the NL catching 100 or more games (12). These endurance marks were somewhat inflated by the fact that he was largely a defensive replacement the last two and a half seasons of his career. He tied the record for most games caught in the NL without a passed ball (114 games in 1941) and led NL catchers in assists three times (1932-33, 1936) and fielding average three times (1940, 1943-44).
Lopez also left his mark as a manager. He led the Indians from 1951 to 1956 and the White Sox from 1957 to 1965 and 1968 to 1969. He was the only AL manager to finish ahead of the Yankees in the 1950s, winning pennants with the Indians in 1954 and the White Sox in 1959. He finished second every other year that decade, and nine times overall. His record as a manager was 1,422-1,026, with a .581 winning percentage that is ninth on the all-time list.
In a poll taken among retired major leaguers in the mid-1980s, Lopez was rated the seventh-best defensive catcher as well as the seventh-best manager of all time.

SP Mike Cuellar R/L- In 1966, his first full year in the major leagues, Cuellar finished second in NL ERA, behind Sandy Koufax. He won a then-club-record 16 games in 1967, fanning 203. After the 1968 season, the Astros swapped Cuellar to Baltimore for Curt Blefary, at that point a highly regarded young power hitter.
Cuellar tied Denny McLain for AL Cy Young honors with a 23-11, 2.38 performance, then in the World Series was the only Oriole to beat the Mets. He led the AL with 24 wins and 21 complete games in 1970, capping the year by hitting a wind-blown grand slam off Jim Perry in the LCS against the Twins. Cuellar was 20-9 in 1971, as four Oriole starters won at least 20 that year. After winning 18 games in both 1972 and 1973, Cuellar enjoyed his last great season in 1974: 22-10, with a league-leading .688 winning percentage. At age 42 in 1979, two years after finishing up in the majors, Cuellar attempted a comeback, compiling a 7-6 record with three clubs in the Inter-American and Mexican Leagues.

OF Tony Oliva-The only player in major league history to win batting titles in his first two full seasons, Oliva was one of the most graceful, natural hitters of all time, but had his career cut short by a bad knee. Oliva enjoyed a sensational Rookie of the Year season, leading the AL in batting (.323), hits (217), runs (109), and doubles (43). His 217 hits established an AL rookie mark. He also led the majors with a club-record 374 total bases, 84 extra-base hits, and 71 multi-hit games. He once again led the AL in batting (.321) and hits (185) for the pennant-winning Twins. He ultimately would lead the league in hits five times. He was named the AL player of the year in 1965 by TSN. In Game Two of the 1965 World Series he helped defeat Sandy Koufax when he doubled off the Dodgers ' ace in the sixth inning of the Twins' 5-1 win. In 1966 Oliva hit .307, second best in the AL. He also captured a Gold Glove award as the league's best defensive right fielder. In 1969, Oliva tied Joe DiMaggio's record of having been named to the All-Star team in each of his first six seasons in the league but missed the game with the chicken pox. He won his third batting title in 1971 (.337) despite a serious knee injury suffered in Oakland while chasing a Joe Rudi fly ball. With the exception of ten games in June, he missed the entire 1972 season because of his ailing right knee, which went under the surgeon's knife seven times during his career.

SP Adolfo Luque (El orgullo de La Habana)-R/R One of the first Cubans to succeed in the majors, Luque came to the U.S. in 1912 to pitch for Long Branch (NY-NJ League) and was 22-5 in 1913. After a couple of unsuccessful trials with the Braves, he caught on with the Reds during WWI and stayed for 12 seasons. In the 1919 World Series, he relieved twice without allowing a run, and the next year he became a regular Cincinnati starter. He led the NL in losses (23) in 1922 but had his career year the next season, leading the league in wins (27), winning percentage (.771), and ERA (1.93). Although he never again topped 20 wins, Luque led again in ERA with 2.63 in 1925. In the 1930s he turned to relief pitching for the Giants. his 4 1/3 shutout innings earned him the win in the 10-inning fifth and final game of the 1933 World Series.

SP Dennis Martinez R/R Developed in the Baltimore system, Dennis Martinez was a star with the Orioles, then overcame alcoholism in a successful comeback with the Expos. Using a basic repertoire of pitches, Martinez was the International League Pitcher of the Year in 1976. He averaged 15 wins a year from 1977 to 1982, excepting an injury-interrupted 1980. From 1983 to 1985, he was simply a hard thrower. Traded to Montreal in 1986, he learned to cope with alcoholism, but still found himself out of a job in May 1987. Given a last chance by Montreal, Martinez led NL pitchers with a .733 winning percentage (11-4) in 1987 and became the staff ace by pitching, not just throwing. His 16-7 record (3.18 ERA) in 1989 helped the Expos contend for the title.

1B-Keith Hernandez- was indisputably the best-fielding first baseman of his time, winning eleven straight Gold Gloves and setting major league records for most seasons leading league first basemen in double plays (six) and lifetime assists by a first baseman. His great range helped him lead NL first basemen in assists five times, putouts four times, and fielding average twice. Twice he tied for the lead in errors with 13; it is the lowest total ever to lead the NL, and he never made more errors than that in a season. Hernandez led the NL in batting in 1979 with the Cardinals, winning the only shared MVP award in history that year (Willie Stargell was the other recipient) as well as TSN NL Player of the Year. He also had career highs with 48 doubles and 116 runs, both league-leading totals, and 105 RBI. His .344 BA, also a career high, marked the first time he had hit .300 ; he went on to top .300 five other times. He was a great clutch hitter who worked the count and fouled off pitches until he got the offering he wanted. In the short lifetime of the game-winning RBI as an official statistic, he set ML records for most in a season (24 in 1985) and most lifetime (129). Always selective, he led the NL with 94 walks in 1986. His on-base percentage was above .400 seven times during his career, and he led the league in 1979 and 1980.

OF Pablo Mesa-L/L A swift and sure handed outfielder with a powerful throwing arm, Pablo Mesa was one of the best fly-catching outfielders ever to play in the Negro Leagues. With his .300 plus batting average, his ability to draw walks and steal bases, Mesa was a prototypical lead-off man.

OF/3B Orestes (Minnie) Miñoso- debuted in 1949, but he was still officially a rookie when obtained by the White Sox in a three-team deal involving the Indians and A's on April 30, 1951. On May 1, in a game against the Yankees in Comiskey Park, the young Cuban speedster became the first black player to don a White Sox uniform. In the very first inning, Minoso homered off Vic Raschi. (Mickey Mantle hit his first ML home run in the sixth inning of the same game.) Minoso finished his rookie year as the AL leader in stolen bases (31) and triples (14); his .326 batting average was second only to Philadelphia's Ferris Fain's .344, and his 112 runs fell one short of Dom DiMaggio's league-leading 113. Though the Yankees' Gil McDougald won the baseball writers' Rookie of the Year honors, Minoso was TSN's Rookie of the Year. He led the AL in stolen bases again in 1952 and 1953 and in triples in 1954, and tied for the league lead in steals in 1956 and in doubles in 1957. He would do whatever was necessary to get on base, including getting in the way of fastballs. In 16 AL seasons, he set the league record by being hit by a pitch 189 times. Traded with Fred Hatfield to Cleveland in December 1957 for Early Wynn and Al Smith, he was not around when the Go-Go White Sox won the 1959 AL pennant; Bill Veeck awarded him an honorary championship ring anyway. With Cleveland, Minoso hit a career-high 24 home runs in 1958, and he batted .302 in both 1958 and 1959 before the White Sox reacquired him. In 1960 he led the AL with 184 hits, was second to Roger Maris with 105 RBI, and batted over .300 for his eighth and final time. Following stints with the Cardinals and Senators, he retired after spending 1964 as a White Sox pinch hitter. Twelve years later, during the second Veeck ownership, Minoso was brought out of retirement and went hitless as Chicago's DH against the Angels' Frank Tanana on September 11, 1976. "It's been many years since I face pitching like this," he explained. "I hope they [the fans] forgive me." The next day, he collected his last ML hit. He was a White Sox coach from 1976 to 1978, and in 1980, when he was again activated, joining Nick Altrock as the only five-decade major leaguers; he went 0-for-2 as a pinch hitter. Ever popular in Chicago, he became a team goodwill ambassador.

OF/1B Héctor Espino-A symbol of Mexican pride, the slugging Espino declined offers from the Cardinals, Mets, and Padres while playing 25 seasons with San Luis de Potosi, Monterrey, and Tampico. He did play 32 games for Jacksonville (International League) in 1964, batting .300, but was offended by racial discrimination and swore he would never again play in the United States. He led the Mexican League in batting in 1964 and in 1966-68; in home runs in 1964 and 1972; and in RBI in 1962 and 1973. His Mexican League record of 46 HR, set in 1964, stood until 1986. He retired at age 45 with the career record for minor league home runs, 484.

Last edited by Breeze : 09-28-2005 at 07:33 AM.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:34 AM   #77
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime 2
I like them but possibly a list too?

I'll try to remember to summarize each team with just a list of players names.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:30 AM   #78
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

As I was drinking my morning coffee, the phone starting ringing. I picked it up and was surprised to hear the owner, J. P. Morgan on the other end.

"Breeze!"

"Mr. Morgan, good morning, what can I..."

Morgan interrupting "I've got good news, we just signed Stan Gunner to a contract. He'll be in this afternoon."

"That is great...." I stop talking because all I hear at this point is the dial tone - Morgan hung up before I could respond.

Gunner gives me a left handed hitting outfielder. That's good news, and, unless we really start getting a run of new players (hint) that will close out the outfield position for the team.

Last edited by Breeze : 09-28-2005 at 12:02 PM.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:35 AM   #79
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

mtaystl03 is up
thealmighty is on deck
Fouts is in the hole.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:45 AM   #80
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

As I'm working at my desk, trying to determine my rotation (pitching and player) for the first couple of spring training games, I see two big players walk in together. I recognize both as first basemen:

Jeeberoni or Jeeborini Potpie (I can never get that right) - a big, but agile right handed first basemen

and

David Gonzalez - who is a few inches shorter, but still real big, and about the same weight. Plus he's a left handed hitter.

The two combine to make a nice platoon at the position, and Jeebs will be playing as a defensive replacement in games where he doesn't start - because Gonzalez isn't a very good defensive player.

Last edited by Breeze : 09-28-2005 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:54 AM   #81
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

FOFC ALL STARS - Team Updates

Here is where we currently stand on the roster:

0 of 2 Catchers
2 of 2 First Basemen
1 of 2 Second Basemen
1 of 2 Shortstops
1 of 2 Third basemen
5 of 5 Outfielders
6 of 10 Pitchers

Last edited by Breeze : 09-28-2005 at 09:57 AM.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:57 AM   #82
Ramzavail
College Starter

id like to be in.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 09:58 AM   #83
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzavail
id like to be in.

Great! Welcome.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:59 AM   #84
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze
Question: Do you guys find the Team Roster and Scouting Reports interesting or would you rather I just list the players names?

I think they are quite cool.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 10:00 AM   #85
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Jeeborini Potpie

Jeeberoni

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 10:02 AM   #86
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
Jeeberoni

oops - it's fixed
Old 09-28-2005, 11:32 AM   #87
NOLEBODY
n00b

WHEN DO WE START

PUT ME IN COACH IM READY TO PLAY.............
NOLEBODY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 11:59 AM   #88
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLEBODY
PUT ME IN COACH IM READY TO PLAY.............

That's the one I was expecting...
Old 09-28-2005, 12:20 PM   #89
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Babson, Nielsen and Fozborg all threw today.

Fozborg was very reminicent of Hunter. Similar types of pitches, but not the same are angles.

Nielsen is a hard throwing left hander with a determined personality. He's going to be tough against batters from both sides, and he's going to want the ball as much as possible.

Then there is Babson, who throws extremely hard and has a nice curve. He'll strike out a ton, and should give us a chance to win our share.

It's going to be quite a battle this spring to see who fills what role on the pitching staff.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:11 PM   #90
Blade
College Prospect

If it is not too late, I would like to get in to this as well...

Loyal fan of the Edmonton Oilers and Philadelphia Eagles.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 07:47 PM   #91
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade
If it is not too late, I would like to get in to this as well...

ABSOLUTELY - great to have you. Hopefully, we can get through these last few picks quickly so we can get started. You'll probably have to wait to see what position is left for you choose from.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:48 PM   #92
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis

Will the pitchers hit for themselves or will there be a DH?

Travis - et.al.

Sorry, I missed this line in the post earlier. No DH. With such deep teams, it will allow me to work more people in and do double switches.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:20 PM   #93
kingfc22
Head Coach

Coach - are there any steroid tests?
Old 09-29-2005, 09:29 AM   #94
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22
Coach - are there any steroid tests?

Hard to get computers to pee in a cup. I think you're safe.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:41 AM   #95
Chas in Cinti
High School Varsity

Quote:
Hard to get computers to pee in a cup. I think you're safe.

You just don't surf the web enough, I KNOW there are sites that have something like this...
Old 09-29-2005, 09:42 AM   #96
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

mtaystl03 is up
thealmighty is on deck
Fouts is in the hole.

We are still on this same list, but I have heard from all 3. It gets a little tougher when your restricted by position and hendered by people already being taken. I should have mtaystl03 soon.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:06 AM   #97
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

We had our first batting practice this morning. I sat and watched balls fly out of the park. It basically turned into a home run derby for about 6 players. Jeeber-something, Gonzalez, Gunner, Ton, Gazelle and Pflaggstettler were launching the ball left and right. It was impressive to watch, but we aren't going to be playng slow pitch softball, and most of the pitchers we face won't be throwing 75 right down the middle.

Nights and Palmer ignored the power-fest going on, and drove the ball to all fields. They seemingly hit the ball in the sweatspot of the bat on every swing. Impressive for the first hitting session of the season. Treacy showed he can handle the bat well, which should allow me to hit and run, and Tucker - slaps the ball the other way extremely well, and with his speed as long as he makes contact he's got a shot at being on base.

In the field, I saw Gazelle, Pflaggstettler, and Tucker roaming around like deer, covering a ton of the field and tracking down most balls hit - well atleast the ones that stayed in the yard. To some extent Gunner did as well. I'm not sure Ton ever moved more than a couple of steps when he was out there shagging. That may be unfair, I might be comparing him to the others who were so impressive defensively. Of course - by my unofficial count Ton would have won the home run derby, so his indifference in the field may not matter. Treacy took balls at 2b, 3b, and in outfield. He isn't the prettiest fielder at any of the spots, but he can play all of them admirably - so that will probably come in handy at some point during the season.

Last edited by Breeze : 09-29-2005 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:57 AM   #98
StanGunner
Mascot

When everyone is signed up would you post who everyone is modeled after? It would be interesting to see who I didn't think of.

Last edited by StanGunner : 09-29-2005 at 11:57 AM.
StanGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 12:00 PM   #99
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGunner
When everyone is signed up would you post who everyone is modeled after? It would be interesting to see who I didn't think of.

I was going to wait until the completion of the season, and allow you guys to see the production and guess along the way (thought that might make the dynasty even more fun). However, if the consenses is to know ahead of time - we can certainly do that.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:10 PM   #100
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

FOFC ALL STARS - League Business Update

I just have a few notes about the league that I wanted to make you aware of.

Because the 3 older teams (old timers, turn of century, and dead ball) are small rosters (21 or 22 players and only 7 pitchers on each team), I am creating a pitcher for their rosters that will be used in mop up duty allowing them to keep their regular pitchers healthy and available for other games. In addition, and along the same lines, there are 28 total players on the AL Pre WWII team, since only 25 can be active, I may take 3 of those players that spend time in the dead ball era and move them to that roster. I'm still trying to decide if this is best, and if I can cascade that move by moving dead ball players to the turn of century team and so on to the old timers.

Players Added:

Old Timers - Tommy Bond
Turn of Century - TBD
Deadball - Eddie Ciccotti (so if we really need a win - someone approach him with a wad of cash and I think we'll be ok.)

Last edited by Breeze : 09-29-2005 at 12:12 PM.