Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-17-2003, 10:56 PM   #1
Logan
Head Coach

NFL Draft Talk/Rumors

Maybe we can all use this thread to post rumors or thoughts about what your favorite team might do in the draft (we'll leave the Bengals talk to another thread).

I'll start: ESPNs Rumor Central reported that the Niners are very interested in taking Rex Grossman as their QB of the future.

I'll admit I never even thought of the Niners picking a QB, as they definitely have more pressing needs. But Garcia is 33, and Grossman is a tremendous talent IMO.

Thoughts? Additions?

Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 11:14 PM   #2
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

What about the Vikings taking a QB at #7? I know the they say they arent interested in trading Culpepper,but he is in the last year of his contract and apparently the 2 sides are far apart on reaching an agreement.
Old 04-17-2003, 11:46 PM   #3
Swaggs
Coordinator

The Steelers are rumored to be consdering the following:

QB Rex Grossman, Florida. Tommy Maddox is 33 years old and, despite the excellent '02 season, still somewhat unproven. Batch will move up to second on the depth chart. Grossman could sit and learn for two seasons and then battle for the starting spot.

RB Larry Johnson, Penn State. Rumor has it that Jerome Bettis may be released and has almost certainly seen his last days as a back that carries the ball 25+ times a game. Johnson is a big back--just like the Steelers like. He is also considered the most NFL-ready running back (more red than green, if you will ), so he could probably come in and share the load with Amos next season.

SS Troy Polamalu, USC. I think this is the most likely choice if all three are available. The Steelers are not resigning Lee Flowers and need a speedy defensive back. If none of the higher rated CBs slide this far, Polamalu is the safe pick.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 12:26 AM   #4
MrBug708
Head Coach

Rex Grossman is a termedous talent? Hmmmmm....
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 12:27 AM   #5
bbor
Pro Starter

I heard i'm NOT getting drafted

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 03:49 AM   #6
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Thoughts on the Detroit Lions...

The Lions want Rogers. They have made this abudantly and, perhaps, foolishly clear over the past few months. Millen gabs and gabs and gabs, never playing too close to the chest. Leaves him with little bargaining power and makes him utterly predictable. This is very much unlike, say Bill Parcells and the Cowboys, who haven't said a word and can go any direction with their 5th round pick. I think the Lions will take Rogers. I am fine with this pick. I was very pro-McGahee before the injury, but the injury pretty much made Rogers the pick. They could trade down if he's gone and go for Trufant or maybe even Boss Bailey. Unless they trade down only one or two spots Newman/Suggs/Johnson would all likely be gone.

The second pick could go three ways, as I see it: (1) Cornerback. Either Sammy Davis, Andre Wolfolk, or Weathersby could be available with the 34th pick. All have slipped a bit recently, but would be an improvement at corner. The Lions need help here. (2) Linebacker. This year's crop sucks. It's incredibly thin. A decent insider linebacker like Pierce (Kansas State) or even Henderson (Maryland) could slip into the second round. Though the Lions need help at outside linebacker, not inside as much (following the signings of Rainer and Holmes). It's possible that Bradie James could be taken here, but that may be a bit of a reach. (3) Running back. No, the Lions don't /need/ a running back, but the idea of getting a guy with speed is appealing. Possibilities include Suggs (Va. Tech), Smith (Oregon), or even... McGahee (if still around). There is a possibility that Bradie James or Onterrio Smith could be available in the 3rd round still. One other possibility is that one of the stud D-line men slip into the second round (there are an abundance) and the Lions take one of them. May be a mistake given how much help the Lions need elsewhere, but Porcher is on his last legs and Ellis hasn't been effective (injuries/age) for a few years. Getting another young stud up there with Rogers and Edwards could be nice.

The rest of the draft... The Lions do need help at guard. Ray Brown is 40. That's no good. Victor Rogers (last year's 7th rounder) could step in, but you can't count on a 7th rounder with a history of injury (see: Staley) to provide much in the way of anything. The Lions could use another wide reciever (David Kircus out of Grand Valley State is very intruiging, broke Jerry Rice's Division II touchdown record). Depth at corner and linebacker (Victor Hobson?) are a necessity. And another young guy at D-line would be good.

At the end of the day, I think the Lions will go defense in the draft for the most part. Millen wanted Jammer last year and the team hasn't improved much after free agency. I could see them, however, using the 3rd rounder (or even 2nd) to draft a running back if one has slipped (see: Onterrio Smith). Other than that, it should be mostly defense with a guard and perhaps WR thrown into the mix. If McGahee was still around with the 34th pick and the Lions drafted him.... I can't say I would be upset. I kind of like them to do it. It'd be interesting.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 05:57 AM   #7
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Everything I read says the 49ers are interested in drafting a QB early, and this blows my mind. Jeff Garcia has easily been one of the best QB's in the league the last 4 years, and they are supposedly happy with their young backups. Unless there is someone too good to pass on in the 2nd or 3rd round, I don't understand this at all.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 06:04 AM   #8
Vince
Pro Starter

I think the duo of Steve Young and Joe Montana has really skewed the 49ers' views on QBs...we never seem to be satisfied anymore. But with Garcia at 33 years old, it doesn't surprise me tremendously that the 49ers are looking at a QB. Even as a committed fan who loves Garcia, and recognizes his tremendous talent, I've never really been all that hyped about him. There's something about him that just doesn't do it for me...I can't quite put my finger on it, but he just doesn't have that intangible leadership that says "I'm the QB of the San Francisco 49ers, fear me when my offense is on the field." Now, you put a Super Bowl ring on his finger, maybe my opinion of that changes. But then again...maybe it wouldn't.

Sorry that this had absolutely nothing to do with the draft.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 06:25 AM   #9
famatu
Mascot

I'm thinking and hoping if Mike Doss is still around when the Steelers pick that he'll be our man. As much as I hate the Ohio State Buckeyes, I love how much passion and intensity Doss plays with. He's also a mean hitter - something the Steelers secondary has nothing of right now. If he's not there, I'd love to see Larry Johnson as the new Steelers running back. Although I'm a bit skeptical after Blair Thomas, DJ Dozier, Ki Jana Carter etc. etc. I think this guy is the real deal. If none of those guys, why not Kyle Boller? I think he's hyped up so much though that he'd never make it to #27.
For the deaths of thousands of people, I scream. For having to explain horrific pictures to children, I scream. For dancing Palestinians in the streets, I scream. For long lines at airports, and stupid-assed corporate policies, I scream.
Then I laugh because I remember I have something that our enemies don't have: Freedom.
famatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 07:43 AM   #10
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by famatu
I'm thinking and hoping if Mike Doss is still around when the Steelers pick that he'll be our man. As much as I hate the Ohio State Buckeyes, I love how much passion and intensity Doss plays with. He's also a mean hitter - something the Steelers secondary has nothing of right now. If he's not there, I'd love to see Larry Johnson as the new Steelers running back. Although I'm a bit skeptical after Blair Thomas, DJ Dozier, Ki Jana Carter etc. etc. I think this guy is the real deal. If none of those guys, why not Kyle Boller? I think he's hyped up so much though that he'd never make it to #27.

Don't forget Curtis Enis.

Although Pittsburgh has had a little better luck with Penn St. RB's. Franco Harris went to Penn St.
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 07:59 AM   #11
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Do you guys read

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm
Old 04-18-2003, 08:55 AM   #12
SteelerFan448
High School JV

I'd pass on Grossman. I am a Florida fan, but I've seen enough Florida QBs not make it in the NFL to take a shot. I will admit though, Grossman is the best prospect to come out.

As for the Steelers. I've been hearing a lot now Polamalu isn't good in coverage. LJ may be the best value pick at the spot. I am very interested in Rasheen Mathis at 27. In the second round maybe add Ragone or a top running back. Steelers have also shown interest in Simms and Woolfolk. I am sure they are blowing a lot of smoke, particularly with the QBs they're looking at. I personally wouldn't mind the Steelers getting Weathersby in the draft either.
Old 04-18-2003, 09:35 AM   #13
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by cthomer5000
Everything I read says the 49ers are interested in drafting a QB early, and this blows my mind. Jeff Garcia has easily been one of the best QB's in the league the last 4 years, and they are supposedly happy with their young backups.

Hmm... could they be thinking Boeller here? Surely they have had plenty of chances to see him across the Bay.

Figure that any QB's in this draft avail. to the 49'ers will take 3-4 years to mature (which makes Garcia 37-38 by then ... which makes sense ).

The 49'ers may be 'happy' with Tim Rattay and Brandon Doman, but I think they're just happy that they might be capable backups (I don't think they're really planning on building a future around them).

edited for spelling

Last edited by moriarty : 04-18-2003 at 09:36 AM.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 09:47 AM   #14
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Noble_Platypus
What about the Vikings taking a QB at #7? I know the they say they arent interested in trading Culpepper,but he is in the last year of his contract and apparently the 2 sides are far apart on reaching an agreement.

There is no way I see the Vikings trading Culpepper. If they were planning on it, why'd they trade away Todd Bouman, a guy who could have started, to then trade Culpepper and put the starting QB job on a rookie or a guy who couldn't cut it starting for the Bengals?

The whole thing was a rumor made up on local radio station KFAN.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 12:06 PM   #15
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Excellent post Honolulu_Blue

Here's my shakedown.
We sign Rogers at the two spot, talks of trading up continue until the beginning of the draft, but nothing is done in the end. At the second pick #34 (2) we pick up defense, signing LB Henderson out of Maryland, Pierce looks good but I don't think he will be available at this number, same with Bailey. Its just going to depend how quickly the fuse runs on LB's, after seeing several mock drafts which have E.J. mostly going mid-late first round. With a break or two he might still be on the board. I have no interest in Hayes out of Pitt and would be disappointed with a signing here.

Obviously Im expecting the Lions to address defense with 4-5 total picks going that direction. Signing Holmes and Rainer may prove too much as both can play inside, but Wali's quickness will allow him to move to the outside if needed. Weathersby would be my selection if we go to the secondary with this pick.

After the Reuben affair, Id prefer to stay away from Onterrio altogether. McGahee might not slip to the third pick, but after taking the chance on Luke, I doubt that Detroit would take him at #34 but would in the third. He is the wild card of the draft for RBs. Fargas or Cobourne could be in the mix and I also am really high on Cecil Sapp. Id be happy with any of those three.
Old 04-18-2003, 12:20 PM   #16
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Current Odds on Cincy trading out of the #1 Pick? Is there any chance at all of this, and if so, who are the teams that would actually make a deal to move up to #1?

I really would like to see the Bengals move down and pick up some extra picks.. This could definitely help speed up the building process for Marvin Lewis & Co..
Old 04-18-2003, 12:38 PM   #17
Craptacular
College Starter

No one will (and shouldn't) give up much to move up to #1.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 12:41 PM   #18
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

By the way, I'm assuming the FOFC NFL Draft has been abandoned.

I believe we were almost finished.. What's up Guys?
Old 04-18-2003, 12:46 PM   #19
Craptacular
College Starter

I bumped it again a week or two ago, but to no avail.
Old 04-18-2003, 12:47 PM   #20
Craptacular
College Starter

Bsak, you, and gold101 are the only three picks left.
Old 04-18-2003, 12:57 PM   #21
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Craptacular
No one will (and shouldn't) give up much to move up to #1.

Yeah, I think the consensus is that there is no 'must have' player in this draft, so no one wants to package picks to move up to the number one slot.
Old 04-18-2003, 02:03 PM   #22
Logan
Head Coach

Can anyone see something like this going down...?

Houston trades up to the #1, giving Cincy an extra pick to drop down to #3 (they have 13 picks in this draft, so it seems possible that they would give up something small...and Cincy, if they're smart (haha) should accept whatever extra they can get just for moving to the 3). Houston then takes the top receiver, preferring Charles Rogers over Andre Johnson who they could have taken at #3.

Detroit then either stands pat and takes Andre Johnson after losing out on Rogers, stands pat and takes a defensive player, or trades the pick to someone who wants to move up and pick Palmer (which is the same problem Cincy looks like they're having).

Cincy, at 3, either gets the player they seem to covet (Palmer) after Detroit fails to find someone who wants him badly enough, or takes Newman, the other player they seem to covet.

Thoughts? Seems like it could be a way for Cincy to screw over Detroit very nicely.
Old 04-18-2003, 02:11 PM   #23
moriarty
College Starter

I think that would have been highly plausible .... right up until Rogers had the little alleged drug test 'tampering' publicity.

With that knock, I doubt Houston would be willing to move up two spots and give away a draft pick or two. Then again, if they can somehow get Orlando Pace away from the Rams (and solidify their left tackle problem) ... they might rethink.
Old 04-18-2003, 02:39 PM   #24
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

What about AZ trading with Cinci? They need a WR bad and the top two might be gone by pick #3. Cinci would probably be happy at pick #6 as well.

This might be just like an FOF2 draft, with WR taken with two out of the first two or three picks.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 02:47 PM   #25
Craptacular
College Starter

I just don't see Houston trading up to #1 to get Rogers, especially considering how much more money they'd have to pay the #1 pick compared to #3.
Old 04-18-2003, 02:50 PM   #26
moriarty
College Starter

Wow,

I dont' follow Arizona although I did see where they 'claim' they're not going to take a QB (still think they might be bluffing).

But why would they be hungry for a WR? I mean David Boston is as good as any of these guys and they still sucked with him. I know he's gone now, and I could see if one of the top WR fell to them they would take 'em. But moving up for one doesn't make alot of sense to me. It won't help their team THAT much, and they need to fill several positions (i.e. need all their picks).
Old 04-18-2003, 03:49 PM   #27
TroyF
Coordinator

Lets see. . .

Cardinals are praying Suggs gets to them. They desperately need a pass rush, he can give it to them quickly. (I don't care what the workout numbers showed.)

Lions are going with Rogers.

Casserly and the Texans could easily trade down here.

I think Cincy is going to pick Palmer #1.

I think the Steelers go with either of the safeties.

The Vikings and Culpepper will be closer by the end of they year. If Culpepper sucks, they cut bait and go with somone next year. (hey, with a probable 6 QB's picked in the first two rounds this year, some decent vet will be available next year) If he's a stud, then the Vikings will give him a long term deal. No need for the Vikings to grab a QB now, especially when a decent defensive player makes them a halfway decent team next year.

Nobody is really sure what's going to happen here in Denver. I'm hoping they trade up and try to get an impact DE like Suggs. They only have a year or two left before the cap bites them in the tail anyway, why not give up next year's first if there is someone they like and give it a go? I look for a QB in round 2 or 3.

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 07:37 PM   #28
Arles
Grey Dog Software

From what I hear, GB is going to take E.J. Henderson at the #29 spot if he's on the board. If not, they may trade down into the early second. I think all this Grossman talk is a bit of a smokescreen to try and get someone to overpay and trade up to get him at 29.

Arlie
Old 04-21-2003, 03:09 PM   #29
Craptacular
College Starter

Dennis Weathersby shot in the back

Luckily, he should recover completely. However, you have to think this may hurt his draft position a little.

Last edited by Craptacular : 04-21-2003 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04-21-2003, 03:13 PM   #30
henry296
College Starter

I didn't see this yet, but Suggs might slide due to a poor 40 time at the combine and in his private workout.

Todd
Old 04-21-2003, 03:14 PM   #31
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Craptacular
Dennis Weathersby shot in the back

Luckily, he should recover completely. However, you have to think this may hurt his draft position a little.

Yeah, this really sucks for him, he just lost a LOT of money.
Old 04-21-2003, 03:57 PM   #32
TroyF
Coordinator

henry,

I've heard that as well, but his production simply can't be overlooked. I doubt he slips by Arizona at #6. (in case they do the SMART thing and pick Byron Leftwitch)

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 05:45 PM   #33
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Well lately I have been hearing a lot of talk about the Saints really really wanting CB Terrance Newman....If they really want him bad they might be willing to trade both first round picks to move up and take him if he falls to around # 5....here is an article about this, and the 'draft value chart'

Link
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 06:31 PM   #34
Logan
Head Coach

While I'm sure Parcells would like a couple of first rounders, I don't see him passing on Newman and trading the pick if he's there at 5.
Old 04-21-2003, 07:49 PM   #35
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I think the Cowboys should stand pat and pick up Newman, he gives them the best shot at immediately upgrading the defense.

I really think the key to the rest of the draft is when the 2nd QB is selected. How far will Leftwich fall?
Old 04-21-2003, 08:07 PM   #36
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by albionmoonlight
This might be just like an FOF2 draft, with WR taken with two out of the first two or three picks.

Rumors out now are that Detroit may pass on Charles Rogers to take DeWayne Robertson or Jimmy Kennedy, and that if this were true and Andre Johnson were to drop to #7 the Vikings would take him, instead of drafting for defense.

As a Viking fan I chose to ignore these and assume (read: Hope) they're not true.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 08:24 PM   #37
Celeval
Pro Starter

www.berniesinsiders.com are reporting that there are three offers on the table between Dallas and Cleveland involving some permutations of Tim Couch, Jamel White and the #21 pick; Dexter Coakley, the #5 pick; and some various lower round miscellany.

Kevin
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 11:06 PM   #38
Adamski47
High School JV

Kyle Boller will be the best QB of the top three taken IMO. Which ever team sits tight and lets him fall into their lap will have a solid QB for the future.

I, however am a Lions fan and one team that will not be taking a QB will be the Detroit Lions. The latest rumors around here are that we are trying to trade DT Shaun Rogers for a 1st round pick. Frankly, I think any team would crazy to trade their first round pick for Rogers. Sure he had a great rookie season (82 tackles leading all DTs) but last year he was hampered with injuries. Granted, he will probably still end up a solid DT but I would be amazed if the Lions got a 1st rounder for him.
Anywho, if they did trade Shaun Rogers it's looking like it would be to the Jets or Pats. If the Jets gave us #13 rumor has it that the Lions would go defense with #2 overall AND defense with the #13 overall. I honestly think that the Lions will be taking Charles Rogers if he is there at #2, but if they can snag another 1st rounder for Rogers look for them to grab a defensive player. If this were to happen, I think the Lions would probably grab a RB with the #34. I personally would rather them grab another defensive player here but if a guy like McGahee falls this far it might be worth a shot. Word has it however that the Lions LOVE LOVE LOVE Larry Johnson and are planning on taking him at #34 if he's available. McGahee, I think is going to go to the first team to have two picks in round one. I think whichever team gets an extra pick will use it as a crap shoot on McGahee. If he heals the way he is suppose to heal he would be the steal of the draft. GO LIONS!!!!!!!!!!
Adamski47 is offline   Reply With Quote