Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: What should we do with the quote of the moment feature?
Get rid of it completely. 31 25.20%
Moderate it more closely. 47 38.21%
Keep it "as is"--pretty much no holds barred. 45 36.59%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-20-2003, 01:07 PM   #1
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

WHAT TO DO ABOUT QUOTE OF THE MOMENT

I don't have a dog in this fight. I find that it adds a little personality to the board, but of course it is a moderating nightmare. Some folks have starting getting vocal lately about wanting to get rid of it, so I figure it is time to get the "pulse" of the board. Vote, and post your opinions.

FYI, up to now, it has been moderated VERY loosely (if you can even call it that). I spent about 30 minutes once going through and purging some stuff, but other than that one purge, I think every quote that has been submitted has gone into the database.

--Ben

Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 01:10 PM   #2
Ben E Lou

Dola--

FYI--it is a hack, and currently there's no way to make it a turn on/turn off feature. However, I THINK it doesn't show up on some of the "skin" options. (Correct me if I'm wrong there.)
Old 04-20-2003, 01:11 PM   #3
korme
Go Reds

It shows up on every skin SkyDog.

There is also a way where I can make it show up only on the 'front' of the message board, and not on each thread, forum, etc.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 01:12 PM   #4
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Re: WHAT TO DO ABOUT QUOTE OF THE MOMENT

Quote:
Originally posted by SkyDog
I don't have a dog in this fight. I find that it adds a little personality to the board, but of course it is a moderating nightmare. Some folks have starting getting vocal lately about wanting to get rid of it, so I figure it is time to get the "pulse" of the board. Vote, and post your opinions.

FYI, up to now, it has been moderated VERY loosely (if you can even call it that). I spent about 30 minutes once going through and purging some stuff, but other than that one purge, I think every quote that has been submitted has gone into the database.

--Ben

None of the quotes I submitted ever made it in.....

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 01:14 PM   #5
Ben E Lou

Re: Re: WHAT TO DO ABOUT QUOTE OF THE MOMENT

Quote:
Originally posted by Anxiety
None of the quotes I submitted ever made it in.....

-Anxiety
Hmmmm...that's strange. There are currently none in the moderating queue, and I haven't deleted any since that one time several weeks (maybe even months....) ago. I don't know what to tell you.

Shorty--Thanks for that information.
Old 04-20-2003, 01:17 PM   #6
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Could a skin be made with no QOTM?
Old 04-20-2003, 01:19 PM   #7
korme
Go Reds

Yes, how would you like it?

I could whip up skins very easily, but the trouble is, it takes a little bit because everything I need to upload must be sent through SkyDog or Ryan S first.. so it'd take a bit.

Would you want one like The Sideline or FOFC Classic but with different colors, same colors with no QOTM, or what?
Old 04-20-2003, 01:20 PM   #8
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by Shorty3281

I could whip up skins very easily, but the trouble is, it takes a little bit because everything I need to upload must be sent through SkyDog or Ryan S first.. so it'd take a bit.

Would you want one like The Sideline or FOFC Classic but with different colors, same colors with no QOTM, or what?
You got time today? Anything you send me in the next couple of hours I can upload pretty much immediately.
Old 04-20-2003, 01:33 PM   #9
couriers

It would be nice if we didn't have to change skins just to get rid of the QOTM. If it would be at all possible to create a second version of each skin then that would be the best possible solution. That way everybody is happy.
Old 04-20-2003, 01:42 PM   #10
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Quote:

couriers suggest a second version of each skin, but that might be overkill. A "sanitized" version of the more popular ones should be enough to sooth the crowd.

Oh, and Andy needs an all red skin while you are at it. By all red I mean EVERYTHING is red.
Old 04-20-2003, 01:52 PM   #11
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Some of the quotes do seem a little stupid to have up there, but some people sound like their lives have been permanently damaged by some of these quotes. All I can really say to them is, get over it.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 01:57 PM   #12
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

A second version of each skin would be great, or at least the Big 3: Default, Yellow and Green.
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 02:03 PM   #13
couriers

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz
couriers suggest a second version of each skin, but that might be overkill. A "sanitized" version of the more popular ones should be enough to sooth the crowd.

Oh, and Andy needs an all red skin while you are at it. By all red I mean EVERYTHING is red.

Just as long as the one that I am using is considered as one of the more popular ones.

And I second the motion of the Red Skin for Andy.
Old 04-20-2003, 02:14 PM   #14
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally posted by ice4277
Some of the quotes do seem a little stupid to have up there, but some people sound like their lives have been permanently damaged by some of these quotes. All I can really say to them is, get over it.

I love how people tell others to "get over" any complaint they may have, but want their complaints to be taken seriously. Not aiming specifically at you, Ice, but I see this way to much.

Oh, and a skin that would take them out would be great, but I still think they should be either more closely moderated or removed all together.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 02:15 PM   #15
astralhaze
College Prospect

I think my feelings on the subject can be summed up in one catch all phrase...I just don't give a fuck.
Old 04-20-2003, 02:50 PM   #16
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:

So we are in agreement. People either hate it or couldn't give a flying rats ass about it. It's value is simply not there. I'd tend to say it sucks.

But I don't want anybody to think I'm the QOTM killer. If it's really something special to anybody, let us know.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 03:05 PM   #17
Daimyo
College Starter

Its strange that something voluntary on a per-user basis like avatars is turned off, yet something not optional like QotM is turned on.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 04:15 PM   #18
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

a while ago, I suggested doing a QOTM type survivor - voting in (or voting off) quotes.

I think that would be a lot of fun - I think most people here are thick-skinned enough not to take it personally.

I'd hate to see QOTM go away (and I'd hate to see it moved to just the front page). I think they are fun, just too many aren't very good as far as stand-alone quotes.

Could we have a QOTM moderator? just someone who would handle what goes in and what doesn't?
Old 04-20-2003, 04:22 PM   #19
korme
Go Reds

I could do that, since I am probably in the moderation queue more than anyone.. but the problem is DD, who am I to decide what is funny, what is appropriate, etc?
Old 04-20-2003, 04:33 PM   #20
ACStrider
High School JV

Hey everyone, I voted to keep the QOTM with a little more moderation, but I understand that this adds quite a bit of duty to the moderators. I just thought I would recommend to everyone to use good judgment on nominating QOTM quotes. I mean, for goodness sakes, we wouldn't even be having this conversation if stupid/offensive quotes wouldn't have been nominated in the first place.
Old 04-20-2003, 04:53 PM   #21
couriers

Quote:
Originally posted by ACStrider
Hey everyone, I voted to keep the QOTM with a little more moderation, but I understand that this adds quite a bit of duty to the moderators. I just thought I would recommend to everyone to use good judgment on nominating QOTM quotes. I mean, for goodness sakes, we wouldn't even be having this conversation if stupid/offensive quotes wouldn't have been nominated in the first place.

The problem is that to the people that nominate the stupid or offensive quotes they are not perceived as such. It is impossible to monitor stupidity on such a grand scale. As a community we can't even agree on whether or not FOF4 is any good so how can we be expected to agree on what is offensive, stupid or even funny?
Old 04-20-2003, 05:10 PM   #22
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
I could do that, since I am probably in the moderation queue more than anyone.. but the problem is DD, who am I to decide what is funny, what is appropriate, etc?

see that's the thing - certainly we don't want to trust your judgement (hee hee).

but you could post some polls and such - this quote over that quote...should this quote stay or go...etc etc.

it's not like anyone talks about FOF here anyway - it would give us something to do.
Old 04-20-2003, 05:14 PM   #23
ACStrider
High School JV

I understand that there are some quotes that in context are funny to some people. And I understand that what people consider offensive differs from person to person. All I ask is that people be a little more mindful about which quotes they recommend for the sake of the moderator and for the sake of the forum. I don't think that it's too much to ask for people to be a little more considerate.
Old 04-20-2003, 05:40 PM   #24
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Re: Re: Re: WHAT TO DO ABOUT QUOTE OF THE MOMENT

Quote:
Hmmmm...that's strange. There are currently none in the moderating queue, and I haven't deleted any since that one time several weeks (maybe even months....) ago. I don't know what to tell you.

Shorty--Thanks for that information.

Well, I just submitted it again. I'll let you decide whether or not you want it. I think it was about panties.....

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 10:34 PM   #25
Craptacular
College Starter

I think we should use the poll system (sorry Marmel) to add QoTMs. Every time the waiting list gets up to 10, a mod (or special QoTM manager) could start a poll listing the 10 quotes. Allow people to select none, one, all ten, or as many of the quotes as they want, and leave the poll open for a couple of days. Anything that gets over 50% gets added. Of course, the numbers are negotiable, but you get my drift.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 10:39 PM   #26
couriers

That is a good idea if the possibility doesn't exist to leave the choice to view them up to us. If we can't get a personal preference option then a majority vote sounds like the best way to go.
Old 04-20-2003, 10:40 PM   #27
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Originally posted by Craptacular
I think we should use the poll system (sorry Marmel) to add QoTMs. Every time the waiting list gets up to 10, a mod (or special QoTM manager) could start a poll listing the 10 quotes. Allow people to select none, one, all ten, or as many of the quotes as they want, and leave the poll open for a couple of days. Anything that gets over 50% gets added. Of course, the numbers are negotiable, but you get my drift.

gets over 50% of what?
Old 04-20-2003, 10:44 PM   #28
Easy Mac

no votes
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 10:46 PM   #29
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
gets over 50% of what?

Over 50% of the votes gets the quote into the database.
Old 04-20-2003, 10:46 PM   #30
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:
gets over 50% of what?

The snot out of my nose.
Old 04-20-2003, 11:23 PM   #31
Cowtown
n00b

The QOTM list seems quite political to me. Only a handful of posters have quotes there and some guys like Fritz (no offense) seem to get EVERYTHING they say listed there and most of it is not really deserving. I have seen other posters write great stuff that never ends up there. Is this because they were not one of our regular comedians/community entertainers?
Old 04-20-2003, 11:34 PM   #32
tucker342
Pro Starter

Quote:

That's a good idea.
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 11:35 PM   #33
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:
I have seen other posters write great stuff that never ends up there. Is this because they were not one of our regular comedians/community entertainers?

Well, anyone can submit a quote, and Skydog admitted that most submittals get accepted. If you see something you like, submit it.

Last edited by Craptacular : 04-20-2003 at 11:36 PM.
Old 04-21-2003, 06:50 AM   #34
Ben E Lou

Bump for the work-day crowd to see and vote.
Old 04-21-2003, 07:15 AM   #35
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

This is a vote about avatars, right?

I personally don't care. I rarely even notice them. I've never submitted a quote but apparently have a couple in the queue, as I see my name every once awhile, usually as I've just hit a link and seen my name flash by and then can't go back to see what it was my name was attached to.

I'd much rather have avatars, anyway.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 07:48 AM   #36
QuikSand
lolzcat

I really don't have strong feeling on the topic. I can live just fine with or without the QotM. And in general, I am inclined to agree with Dutch's opinion - that there are those who might get some modest happiness from it, but others who seem to be greivouslyharmed (or so you would conclude by reading their complaints).

It is funny to me, however, that the current crop of complainers about how other people's speech has been offensive to them or the groups they belong to are largely the same people who are first to sign up to decry the whole "political correctness" movement. I guess it's just a matter of who's on the receiving end of the barbs that determines whether people are being too sensitive or just appropriately upset.

If there's a setting we caould adopt that woudl allow those who don't like the feature visible, perhaps that would settle the issue. In my mind, it would. I honestly don't know what setting I'd go for.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 09:20 AM   #37
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I think they should either stay as-is or go completely. If we decide as a community to keep them, that's fine. If we decide as a community to get rid of them, that's fine. Setting up a QOTM review board or having polls or making SD review them more intensely sounds like it would be more trouble than it is worth.

I don't really like the skin idea as a solution because the biggest problem I have with the quotes is that they are the face that we show the world. When someone who has never been to FOFC before hears about it and comes over, they will see the QOTM and that becomes the all important "first impression." I do not think that some of the quotes are appropriate first impressions.

If, however, most people here enjoy them, then keep them and run with it. It's just not that big of a deal to me.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 09:35 AM   #38
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally posted by albionmoonlight
I don't really like the skin idea as a solution because the biggest problem I have with the quotes is that they are the face that we show the world. When someone who has never been to FOFC before hears about it and comes over, they will see the QOTM and that becomes the all important "first impression." I do not think that some of the quotes are appropriate first impressions.

Well said, albion. That's how I feel as well.
Old 04-21-2003, 09:43 AM   #39
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

what if the default skin does not have the QOTM?
Old 04-21-2003, 12:13 PM   #40
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
what if the default skin does not have the QOTM?

I assume you mean the standard skin that you would see if you were not logged in.

That would eliminate a lot of my concerns with QOTM. It would also allow it to stay on the board which, based on the poll, most people seem to want.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 12:45 PM   #41
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And somewhere in all this seems to be at least the possibility of the fun of seeing threads about voting on quotes.

And then threads bitching about votes. And threads lobbying for up/down votes on various quotes. Then threads calling for separate folders for all the quote threads. Then threads bitching about those calling for separate folders.

FTR, I voted for just ending the whole mess by getting rid of QotM completely. And as much as anything, my vote was based on the nearly inevitable sequence that keeping it will produce.
Old 04-21-2003, 12:48 PM   #42
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by JonInMiddleGA
And as much as anything, my vote was based on the nearly inevitable sequence that keeping it will produce.
Naaah...that won't happen. FWIW, I have a plan for how it will be moderated more closely that doesn't involve voting. That would be an utter nightmare as you mention.
Old 04-21-2003, 01:03 PM   #43
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Naaah...that won't happen. FWIW, I have a plan for how it will be moderated more closely that doesn't involve voting. That would be an utter nightmare as you mention.

That's encouraging, but there's still the notion that you're going to be "damned if you do, damned if you don't". And I see no solution that's going to satisfy the entire community enough to prevent this from being an on-going topic TFN.

And while content may have been slack lately, I don't quite think arguing over the status of QotM is what many people are looking for

As always, whether I ultimately agree with what you decide or not, as a fairly experienced forum mod/monitor I'd urge you to make a decision & then enforce the hell out of it, no matter what it is.

Jon
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 02:47 PM   #44
Anthony
Banned

delete this skydog:

Give A Monkey A Brain And He'll Swear He's The Center Of The Universe
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 02:50 PM   #45
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by Hell Atlantic
delete this skydog:

Give A Monkey A Brain And He'll Swear He's The Center Of The Universe
What a strange little man...
Old 04-21-2003, 02:51 PM   #46
couriers

Hey, weren’t you going to delete the link to this board like 100 times already? What is taking you so long and why do you keep coming back if you hate it here so much?
Old 04-21-2003, 02:51 PM   #47
Craptacular
College Starter

I'd volunteer to maintain the QoTM database and set up polls, but it sounds like that ain't gonna happen.
Old 04-21-2003, 02:54 PM   #48
Anthony
Banned

i figured since you wanted to delete my post in this thread i'd give you another post to delete.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 02:57 PM   #49
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by Hell Atlantic
i figured since you wanted to delete my post in this thread i'd give you another post to delete.
What a strange little man...He thinks I don't enjoy his unintentional comedy. Why would I EVER delete his stuff??? It is far too rich.
Old 04-21-2003, 03:00 PM   #50
Ben E Lou

Quote:
I'd volunteer to maintain the QoTM database and set up polls, but it sounds like that ain't gonna happen.
Actually I think we've got it solved, but I have to run out the door for an hour or so. I'll post when I get back.