Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Ever feel like you were psychic and could read people's minds?
Yay 8 30.77%
Nay 9 34.62%
I knew you'd ask that. 9 34.62%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-20-2003, 07:49 PM   #1
korme
Go Reds

Do you ever feel like a psychic?

Sometimes I'll think of something, and then like 10 minutes later it will happen. Wow. Bad example. For instance, I'll think of a song, I haven't heard it in a long time, and then I turn on the radio and it's on. Just crazy things like that..

Or is it just me?

korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 07:54 PM   #2
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
dial 1-374-895-6697. Please have your credit card ready.
Old 04-20-2003, 07:54 PM   #3
JeeberD
General Manager

Quite often my brother and I will say the same thing at the same time. And I sometimes get feelings of deja vu, but I don't know if I could say that I've ever felt "psychic"...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 08:27 PM   #4
couriers

We have a long-standing practice in our business of saying the names of clients that we haven't heard from in awhile and sure enough either that day or the next they will call. I have yet to see this fail. Unfortunately, it doesn't work the other way around with clients that we don't want to call us any longer. O'well.
Old 04-20-2003, 08:46 PM   #5
QuikSand
lolzcat

Lots and lots of really normal, ordinary things happened to me today. None of them really seemed really noteworthy, and I promptly forgot that they happened in such an ordinary fashion. I thought of lots of different people and songs and so forth, and none of them called, none suddenly came on the radio, and nothing weird at all happened. It was a lot like most days.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 08:47 PM   #6
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Quote:
Originally posted by couriers
We have a long-standing practice in our business of saying the names of clients that we haven't heard from in awhile and sure enough either that day or the next they will call. I have yet to see this fail. Unfortunately, it doesn't work the other way around with clients that we don't want to call us any longer. O'well.

Fritz: Where do you work?
couriers: That funeral home in Georgia where they found all the bodies stuffed into closets.
Old 04-20-2003, 08:48 PM   #7
korme
Go Reds

While thats probably written jokingly, I see truth to that. We think of so much every single day, when it doesn't happen, we don't think about that. When it does happen, we take note, so it seems like it happens more than it actually does.. I see your point.
Old 04-20-2003, 08:49 PM   #8
QuikSand
lolzcat

bullseye.
Old 04-20-2003, 08:57 PM   #9
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I knew you were going to start this poll
Old 04-20-2003, 08:58 PM   #10
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

dola,
I guess I should have read the poll options before I dropped my "funny, but too late" joke.
Old 04-20-2003, 09:00 PM   #11
korme
Go Reds

attaboy DD
Old 04-20-2003, 09:15 PM   #12
Bad-example
College Starter

Re: Do you ever feel like a psychic?

Quote:
Originally posted by Shorty3281
Sometimes I'll think of something, and then like 10 minutes later it will happen. Wow. Bad example.

Don't go blaming me for your weird happenings!
Drinking like a lumberjack and singing Delta Dawn
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 09:21 PM   #13
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Shorty, i often find myself singing a song to myself or humming on the way to my car.. start my car up.. and the song will be playing on the radio.. its happened way to often to be mere conscidence
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 09:37 PM   #14
korme
Go Reds

Re: Re: Do you ever feel like a psychic?

Quote:
Originally posted by Bad-example
Don't go blaming me for your weird happenings!

lol
Old 04-21-2003, 12:40 AM   #15
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally posted by Ragone
Shorty, i often find myself singing a song to myself or humming on the way to my car.. start my car up.. and the song will be playing on the radio.. its happened way to often to be mere conscidence

Maybe you're just picking up the radio in that plate in your head...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 06:43 AM   #16
QuikSand
lolzcat

For thos of youu who think you might have these powers, I'd be happy to invite you to contact the James Randi Educational Foundation. If you can demonstrate that you actually enjoy these abilities, you will simultaneously endow the scientific community with great new understanding, and you will make yourself a good deal wealthier. There's a $1 million prize.

Or, the alternative is that like every single other person who has tried, youu will fail to prove your talent, and look like a dope. Small risk, for a million bucks though.

Randi Link

Last edited by QuikSand : 04-21-2003 at 06:44 AM.
Old 04-21-2003, 06:52 AM   #17
Bee
Pro Starter

I would, but I promised the aliens who gave me the power not to use it for self gain.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 07:51 AM   #18
QuikSand
lolzcat

Bee, that's about in keeping with the various excuses used by the many people whose psychic powers suddenly vanished when they were being tested for the prize. My favorite is "the negative energy from the disbelievers interferes with the psi ability." Think that through - it's seamless logic! Brilliant!

Last edited by QuikSand : 04-21-2003 at 07:52 AM.
Old 04-21-2003, 12:43 PM   #19
Drake
assmaster

I don't think I've ever seen you with quite this agitated a bee in your bonnet, QuikSand. Would psychism happen to be one of your pet peeves?
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 01:01 PM   #20
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quiksand has obviously never been down to the Edgar Casey foundation in Va Beach.
Old 04-21-2003, 01:03 PM   #21
QuikSand
lolzcat

Hmmm... actually, I'm not particularly agitated about this. I do find it to be a particularly fascinating topic... and while I might hesitate to call it a "peeve" I can see that the difference between my perception and yours might be a subtle one.

I do, however, think that the Randi challenge serves a very valuable function in the debate, though. It's tough to argue that anyone with genuine psychic powers would not want to win the prize - even if they sought to use the $1M for altruistic purposes. The fact that nobody has even made it past the preliminary stages of testing for the prize speaks volumes to me.
Old 04-21-2003, 01:08 PM   #22
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz
Quiksand has obviously never been down to the Edgar Casey foundation in Va Beach.

I'm familiar with Cayce, who's among the more celebrated psychics/clairvoyants in history, but I confess I don't know about the foundation. Next time I'm in the area, I'll ask you to give me a tour, Fritz.
Old 04-21-2003, 01:10 PM   #23
Drake
assmaster

Quik,

It's similarly hard to argue with people who believe in God, don't you think? Every time something good happens to them, it's because God made it happen. Every time something bad happens, the Devil is testing them. Good and bad things never just happen at random (or as a consequence of long chains of connected decisions we don't have the wetware or the objectivity to properly analyze).

It's pretty much all the same impulse, I guess. People want to believe in something that makes the existential terror go away.

Last edited by Drake : 04-21-2003 at 01:11 PM.
Old 04-21-2003, 01:14 PM   #24
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Originally posted by QuikSand
I'm familiar with Cayce, who's among the more celebrated psychics/clairvoyants in history, but I confess I don't know about the foundation. Next time I'm in the area, I'll ask you to give me a tour, Fritz.

I have never been down there either. You think I buy into that mumbo jumbo?
Old 04-21-2003, 01:17 PM   #25
Drake
assmaster

Quote:

I work with a lady who studied there, Fritz.

You can take an ESP test through The Edgar Cayce Institute for Intuitive Studies here.

Learn about Ancient Mysteries and Civilizations here.

See Earth Changes maps based on Cayce prophecies here.

Fun stuff.
Old 04-21-2003, 01:18 PM   #26
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

more borderline nutballs should set up shop in resort areas.
Old 04-21-2003, 01:22 PM   #27
Drake
assmaster

It's called "local colour", Fritz. Nutballs are good for the economy.

Besides, you need something to take the edge off all that gunmetal grey (or whatever they call it these days).
Old 04-21-2003, 01:24 PM   #28
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

We have Pat Robertson for that.

Last edited by Fritz : 04-21-2003 at 01:24 PM.
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 01:27 PM   #29
Drake
assmaster

Do the Cayce Institute people ever square off (or pair off) with the 700 Club folks? Are credits transferrable between the Cayce Institute and Regent University?

Do either one of them consider Christopher Newport University a junior college feeder program?

Last edited by Drake : 04-21-2003 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-21-2003, 01:45 PM   #30
KWhit
Coordinator

There's no such things as psychics, dudes. And that IS one of my pet peeves. The wife has paid money to get "readings" from these charletans who always say innane shit like "You will be tested in the coming month." Of course, when the car breaks down or some crap like that happens, it's always "Wow, she was right!"

Gimme a break.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 01:51 PM   #31
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
I have never been down there [the nutjob institute] either. You think I buy into that mumbo jumbo?

No, Fritz... but I bet you and I could have a real hoot getting the tour, taking and the test, and getting our heads fitted with tinfoil.
Old 04-21-2003, 01:51 PM   #32
KWhit
Coordinator

I once watched an excellent Nova program about debunking (I love that word) psychics. One segment was really interesting. It showed a man who posed as a professor of astrology. He had all his studentsfill out a form with their birth date on it and came back the next week with a full chart and horoscope.

The students read the horoscopes and were asked how accurate they were. The students responded very positively. They were all amazed at the accuracy. On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being dead on, they averaged about an 8 accuracy.

That was when the professor asked each student to exchange their chart with the person sitting next to him. Everyone was amazed to find that every chart and horoscope was completely identical.

Last edited by KWhit : 04-21-2003 at 01:51 PM.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 02:48 PM   #33
couriers

Quote:
Fritz: Where do you work?
couriers: That funeral home in Georgia where they found all the bodies stuffed into closets.

Am I missing something here? Sometimes your humor just goes right over my head. It is like you are one of those morning humor DJs that more often than not need to have the stationed changed on them.
Old 04-21-2003, 02:59 PM   #34
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by QuikSand
No, Fritz... but I bet you and I could have a real hoot getting the tour, taking and the test, and getting our heads fitted with tinfoil.

You don't get the tinfoil until you make a major contribution to the institute.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote