Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-01-2008, 08:17 AM   #51
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Midnight hasn't been on, yet. At least, I don't remember that title for an episode and I think I would if it was great. The 2 part Library episodes are what just finished on SciFi. I really don't get the Catherine Tate hate.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 07-01-2008 at 08:18 AM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:05 AM   #52
Critch
lolzcat

Midnight is straight after the Library two parter, so it should be be the next up.

Catherine Tate has annoyed me ever since her own show, I don't like the shrill, over the top style although I will admit she's not been as bad as I expected. Still want her fried by daleks though
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:15 PM   #53
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I really don't get the Catherine Tate hate.

Other than vacant eyes and cankles, I don't see what she adds to the show.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:26 AM   #54
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
Other than vacant eyes and cankles, I don't see what she adds to the show.

She's an interesting character. She's not terribly impressed with the doctor himself, but she's fascinated by the adventures that he takes her on. She's smarter than she looks, and she's caring to a fault. The earlier analogy of a sister is an excellent one. If she were less reckless, she could even be a mother figure. I enjoy her character; it's refreshing to have a fellow traveler who isn't always a love interest.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 07:11 AM   #55
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71 View Post
She's an interesting character. She's not terribly impressed with the doctor himself, but she's fascinated by the adventures that he takes her on. She's smarter than she looks, and she's caring to a fault. The earlier analogy of a sister is an excellent one. If she were less reckless, she could even be a mother figure. I enjoy her character; it's refreshing to have a fellow traveler who isn't always a love interest.

Exactly. Glad at least one fellow board member doesn't want to see her killed off.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:28 AM   #56
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Midnight hasn't been on, yet. At least, I don't remember that title for an episode and I think I would if it was great. The 2 part Library episodes are what just finished on SciFi. I really don't get the Catherine Tate hate.

As a little preview, Midnight is the creepiest Doctor Who episode I've probably EVER seen. That episode gave me the chills.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 08:29 AM   #57
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

That will make the wait even harder. No episode this weekend on Scifi.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:43 AM   #58
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
As a little preview, Midnight is the creepiest Doctor Who episode I've probably EVER seen. That episode gave me the chills.

It's also one of the best acted episodes. They really did well with it.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:36 PM   #59
AZSpeechCoach
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71 View Post

That's sort of how Mrs. SC and I see Donna. Mrs. SC has been watching the BBCA showings for a couple of years now, and I've just gotten into it in the last 6 months. Watching the past episodes, I like the relationship with Donna more than the "just screw already" thing with Rose. I still think that Martha is the best companion of the new series.

Visit Stewart the Wonderbear and his amazing travels
http://wonderbeartravel.blogspot.com
AZSpeechCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 08:59 PM   #60
Critch
lolzcat

Ok, I know I was all high-fivie about how good the "library" double header then "Midnight" were but the next one ("Turn Left") is at least as good, if not better. And it's virtually no Doctor and almost completely Donna Noble! And I still thought it was great!

Off to watch the two part finale now. Fingers still crossed that the daleks fry Donna Noble, but I'll be full of a no-new-episodes-til-2010 kinda sadness.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:54 AM   #61
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
Off to watch the two part finale now. Fingers still crossed that the daleks fry Donna Noble, but I'll be full of a no-new-episodes-til-2010 kinda sadness.

They're doing a Christmas episode, as per the little teaser at the end of the finale.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:34 PM   #62
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

(trying to avoid spoilers)

I liked Midnight but it wasn't on par with the Library episodes in my mind.

Then, we got to Turn Left- cheap cop out plot device for those familiar with the genre. Still, it whetted the appetite so that even at 11:30, we're blowing right on through to the season finale and just going to be a little light on sleep tomorrow after getting to sleep some time after 1.

It's not really a season finale 3 parter but it kindof is so people waiting on SciFi, be warned. If you don't want to wait a week between cliffhangers, you might want to just watch all 3 together. It looks like the third to last episode is just a preview of the finale.

Oh, and a friend I watch this with- we were tickled to death with the ending of Turn Left. We had badly wanted them to do something more with that idea than they already did and it looks like it's come home to roost, even if it's just as a teaser.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:38 AM   #63
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Well, that was fun. The season finale ties up a lot of loose ends, even the ones that were closed and reopened. "It's the end of reality and everyone's invited!" It's a fun little opus since they don't have anything to give people for about two years except for a few specials.

The only big complaint I have is that something this "big" should have been another 2 or 3 episodes. But I suppose that's not the way they do things nowadays.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 07-07-2008 at 01:40 AM.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:25 AM   #64
Bad-example
College Starter

Saw the season finale last night. It was horribly over written and over produced and pretty painful to watch. It was a circus. That was a rough 90 minutes.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:29 AM   #65
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
Saw the season finale last night. It was horribly over written and over produced and pretty painful to watch. It was a circus. That was a rough 90 minutes.

I didn't feel quite that strongly, but I was disappointed with it last night, particularly after it got some build-up on other forums. Still, I'll miss the show for the next year or however long it is until we get regular episodes again.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:39 PM   #66
Critch
lolzcat

I hated the last episode too. Even worse than the finale from last season.

Hopefully Russell T. Davies moving on will mean the end of these totally over the top, plot-hole ridden finales.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:33 PM   #67
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'll disagree a little. I still think that it's like I posted above- it needed to be longer and more elaborate. It was rushed and thrown together and emphasis was placed more on fanservice than developing plot. It could have made a big, grand plot but was woefully underdeveloped.

SI

Old 08-03-2008, 03:24 PM   #68
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

I've been getting back into Doctor Who on visits to England in the last six months or so, coming back this time loaded up with DVD's
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 04:23 PM   #69
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I must have read this thread title a dozen times before I realized that it didn't say "Doctor, who is back?"
Old 05-28-2009, 02:47 PM   #70
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

'Doctor Who' returns to BBC America - Entertainment News, TV News, Media - Variety

At BBC America, the Doctor is finally in. The net has acquired the five "Doctor Who" specials that will finish showrunner Russell T. Davies' run on the venerable Brit sci-fi franchise that starred David Tennant as the Doctor.

"The Next Doctor," the series' Christmas special, will air at 9 p.m. June 27, and the next spec ("Planet of the Dead") is set for July. Dates and times for the final three shows are to be determined, but the next incarnation of the show is already in the works, with Steven Moffat (who worked on the Davies version) as showrunner and thesp Matt Smith as the Doctor.

"Doctor Who" has aired on Sci Fi for four seasons, with BBC America preeming Davies' spinoff series "Torchwood" (which will continue) and running the parent show a season late. "Torchwood" will air as a five-episode cycle this year, as well, starting in July.

Also in the article it mentions new shows(to the US) Being Human and Survivors both appearing later in the year on BBC America.
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 04:08 PM   #71
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

That's interesting. I thought that the reason they took a season off to do the 5 "specials" was because Tennant wanted to take a year off and not work on an entire season. Instead, we're getting a new doctor as well?

SI

Old 05-28-2009, 04:19 PM   #72
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

The specials that have aired in the UK already (2 of 5) have been underwhelming thus far, I must say.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:28 PM   #73
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
The specials that have aired in the UK already (2 of 5) have been underwhelming thus far, I must say.

I quite liked the first one, fairly entertaining even if it did have all the plot holes and over-the-top nonsense that Russell T Davies forces into his xmas specials. But the last one, Planet of the Dead, was perhaps the worst Doctor Who episode since Sylvester McCoy.

Cant wait for Russell T Davies to piss off and leave Doctor Who alone, although I'm sure he will be signing off with the biggest lot of pish ever in the last Tennant episode.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:44 AM   #74
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
Cant wait for Russell T Davies to piss off and leave Doctor Who alone, although I'm sure he will be signing off with the biggest lot of pish ever in the last Tennant episode.

Considering how terrible that last season ending two-parter was, I fear the final Tennant installment as well. Hoping against hope that it won't be another charlie fox circus.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:42 PM   #75
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Watched The Next Doctor tonight and it was okay. I did not realize how much i was jonesing for Doctor Who. I cannot wait until we are back to the regular episode a week schedule. The Planet of the Dead will be on July 26th in HD.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 02:13 PM   #76
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

FYI, BBC America is airing a new Doctor Who tonight at 9 PM Eastern. There is also a retrospective special at 8 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:17 PM   #77
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

That the Waters of Mars?

If it is, it wasn't half bad. Dark one.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 12-19-2009 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:19 PM   #78
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

If you haven't seen the 'Torchwood - Children of Earth' mini-series please please please do so if you like Dr Who, was fantastic in my ever so biased opinion
Old 12-19-2009, 02:20 PM   #79
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

PS - Tennant for me is the best ever Dr. Who, not sure how the chap replacing him is going to fare as he just 'worked' in that role imho.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:21 PM   #80
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That the Waters of Mars?

If it is, it wasn't half bad. Dark one.

Yes, it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
PS - Tennant for me is the best ever Dr. Who, not sure how the chap replacing him is going to fare as he just 'worked' in that role imho.

He's my favorite of all of them as well. The next doctor has a high bar set for him. Tennant is my wife's favorite as well.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:22 PM   #81
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If you haven't seen the 'Torchwood - Children of Earth' mini-series please please please do so if you like Dr Who, was fantastic in my ever so biased opinion

Loved it. I'm hoping they are making more Torchwood episodes soon.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:40 PM   #82
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I have a long post on another board about how it is not good to my eyes. Very overdone, problems with plot and characterization. A big ol' "Wow, they missed" from me. I'm kinda surprised you recommend it.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 12-19-2009 at 08:42 PM.
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:35 PM   #83
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I never really posted again after the season finale

But, for those who missed the season 4 movies, The Planet of the Dead and The Waters of Mars are on tomorrow night. The two part finale will be on again next Sunday.

Planet of the Dead seemed really generic to me- even more bland than the typical throwaway episode since at least with that they try to do something interesting like meet Shakespeare or see Pompeii.

The Waters of Mars, I liked quite a bit, however. I like good scifi horror and it was kindof ok at that, but not really. But what sold me was the ending because we were pushing that direction with the doctor's character pretty much every since Silence in the Library. It can be viewed as over the top but I think it actually fit the doctor's character at this point.

The End of Time. Well, I can't really say much without giving it away. Yeah, it was another awkwardly uneven Russell T Davies outing- the main plot of the first part could have been its own set of episodes. But, like "The Stolen Earth"/"Journey's End", this would have greatly benefited from another part or three to stretch out the plot. It's so big but done so quickly that you lose the scope of the problem (I thought TSE/JE did that part of it ok) and when big plot points get quickly brushed aside, it doesn't seem as big as it should.

Spoiler

Also, I recently saw Turn Left/The Stolent Earth/Journey's End again. I think I was unfairly harsh to them. Yes, it's big. Maybe too big. But the task was just so daunting where they thought they had to throw in the kitchen sink (Torchwood, Sarah Jane Smith/K9, Unit/Martha, Rose, and Donna/Wilfred) to give a fair send off to all parties. Once you've made that decision, there's only so tightly you can mesh those pieces and I think that considering that, a good job was done. I know the easy argument is that they shouldn't have even tried but I do give them effort and degree of difficulty points. The scope is brilliant- as big as you can get- and I thought it was reasonably resolved. Again, as I said before "fun little opus" but "woefully undeveloped" was one "woefully" too much.

SI

Old 02-06-2010, 10:47 PM   #84
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Some more comments about The End of Time, all in spoiler since they pretty much need it:

Spoiler

SI

Old 02-07-2010, 08:47 PM   #85
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
I have a long post on another board about how it is not good to my eyes. Very overdone, problems with plot and characterization. A big ol' "Wow, they missed" from me. I'm kinda surprised you recommend it.

Its a 'bit corny' in places - but I kinda like the epic adventures now and again
Old 03-23-2010, 10:58 PM   #86
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Just saw this, btw:

http://tv.ign.com/articles/107/1072488p1.html

February 25, 2010 - It's almost time to travel with the 11th Doctor, as BBC America announces that Doctor Who: Season 5 will debut on April 17th.

SI

Old 03-24-2010, 08:46 AM   #87
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Amy Pond (Karen Gillan) is hot.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 03-24-2010 at 08:48 AM.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:01 AM   #88
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Actually surfed across an episode of this last night (twice), and as potentially interesting as it seemed, I actually had to give it up because the plot gimmick was making me crazy (possessed entity repeating everything every character said, at times in this weird electronically altered voice). Nothing wrong with the story, just the physical execution of it was like fingernails on a chalk board to me.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:30 AM   #89
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Actually surfed across an episode of this last night (twice), and as potentially interesting as it seemed, I actually had to give it up because the plot gimmick was making me crazy (possessed entity repeating everything every character said, at times in this weird electronically altered voice). Nothing wrong with the story, just the physical execution of it was like fingernails on a chalk board to me.

Ah that one. That episode actually just creeped me the fuck out.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:59 AM   #90
Bad-example
College Starter

I liked that one primarily because it is one of the few latter episodes that wasn't horribly over produced. That Donna was hardly in it also helped a lot.

The best thing that could happen to this show going forward would be severe budget cuts. I hope they get back to basics in the coming season.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:35 AM   #91
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

This Saturday the new Doctor premiers on BBC America in case you didn't already know.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:36 AM   #92
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Ah, yes.

I've watched the first two episodes of the new doctor. Jury is still a little out, but the episodes have been good, and I don't HATE Matt Smith. The first episode, he does seem to be trying to be a little too much like Tenant, instead of putting his own spin on things.

The second episode you start to see more of his own personality come through, and I can see him growing on me.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:38 AM   #93
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

With only a couple of weeks delay, I'll just be lazy and wait for BBC America to show them

SI

Old 04-22-2010, 06:55 PM   #94
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Amy Pond (Karen Gillan) is hot.

Crazy hot. redheads! oh my.

Enjoying the new season so far. Matt Smith feels OK so far, though I agree i think it'll take awhile before he seems to find his own groove. Fairly close to the way I'd expect Tennant to play the role right now.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 06:58 PM   #95
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

BTW, i've had endless conversation about this offline, but Steven Moffat was the perfect choice to take over as the head writer/producer. He pretty much wrote all the best episodes over the last 4 seasons and has a darker feel to things. It will be nice to maybe see the show head in a slightly different direction.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:30 PM   #96
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Really liked Smith's first episode and thought he did a good job.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:05 PM   #97
Bad-example
College Starter

I am not enjoying the new doctor much. The actor seems ok, but the quality of writing has decreased and I sometimes find myself switching the channel before the episode ends. The overproduction is disappointing as well. Note to producer: Chill with the fucking music already! When it is making it difficult to hear the dialogue, that is a hint it is too loud!

Oh, they are playing reruns on BBC America at 2pm weekdays. Unfortunately, these seem to be cut up somewhat.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:04 AM   #98
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by brassmonkey32 View Post
Why do they keep changing Doctors on this show? They quit the show or their contract ends?

They normally last quite a while - but often even the successful ones move on because they don't want to become typecast, think of William Shatner and you think of Star Trek etc.

PS - New chap is pretty good imho, definitely making it his 'own' ...
Old 05-20-2010, 08:26 AM   #99
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I can see how he could be rubbing folks the wrong way though Marc - he's definantely a big change from the Tenant-doctor (which TBH is all I've ever known). Tenant's doctor was more thoughtful...intellectual, even somewhat restrained a little? This guy just seems like...manic. He's all over the place. Not in a bad way, just very different.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:33 AM   #100
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I can see how he could be rubbing folks the wrong way though Marc - he's definantely a big change from the Tenant-doctor (which TBH is all I've ever known). Tenant's doctor was more thoughtful...intellectual, even somewhat restrained a little? This guy just seems like...manic. He's all over the place. Not in a bad way, just very different.

Honestly, I'm not sure if it's the actor or the writing in regards to the 'manic' feel. The pacing of the writing just has felt off to me.