Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-09-2018, 09:19 PM   #17801
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Is there like a mandate that you throw away your trash at a sporting event or movie? I mean I know it probably just falls under a blanket "don't be an asshole" clause. I throw my trash away anyways, but I don't feel like many people do
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:22 PM   #17802
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Is there like a mandate that you throw away your trash at a sporting event or movie? I mean I know it probably just falls under a blanket "don't be an asshole" clause. I throw my trash away anyways, but I don't feel like many people do

I usually leave mine, I figure it helps keep someone employed.

Our local theater serves beer, so I usually leave a movie at least twice for a refill and once to hit the head. Larry would hate me.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:23 PM   #17803
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I'd say it's under 10% at a major event. Hell, I doubt it's more than 25% even at stuff like, say, high school football games.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:51 PM   #17804
cuervo72
Head Coach

I do. It takes little effort from me and saves someone a little bit of work.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:34 AM   #17805
Edward64
Head Coach

For movies, we always put our stuff in the trash as we are walking out (other than the spilled popcorn of course). I see many people doing this.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:59 AM   #17806
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
On Saturday night, I went and saw "Ant-Man and The Wasp." It was fine. Entertaining enough, but I liked the first one better. Anyway, seated next to me was none other than "Tuesdays with Morrie" and "The Five People You Meet in Heaven" author, and Detroit Free Press columnist, journalist, screenwriter, dramatist, radio and television broadcaster, and musician Mitch Albom. During the movie, Mitch proceeded to eat his entire giant bowl of popcorn one kernel at a time, chewing each one loudly and with his mouth open. I thought there may finally be peace when he finished, but no! After finishing his first giant bowl, he left, got a refill, and came back and continued to eat even more popcorn, one kernel at a time, chewing with his mouth open the entire time. After the movie was done, he left his bowl of popcorn and used bottle of water at his seat for the ushers to clean up.

Do better, Mitch.

With the shitty movies they make now popcorn is the only reason to go to a movie. He's eating it properly. I would have mentioned to him that I enjoyed the constant reminder of popcorn.... He probably felt your bad attitude and was in a rush to leave so left his trash behind.

TCY Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:57 AM   #17807
Edward64
Head Coach

Great news. Hope the kids recover well from this ordeal.

It will be interesting to read all the details on how they pulled it off.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/09/asia/...ntl/index.html
Quote:
Tham Luang caves, Thailand (CNN)The last remaining member of the Wild Boars soccer team and their coach have been pulled out of a flooded cave in Thailand, bringing an end to a near three-week ordeal that prompted a huge international rescue effort.

The twelfth boy and his coach were the last of the team to be rescued Tuesday, after a complicated three-day operation to extricate the team, who became trapped on June 23 when rising flood water cut off the exit, deep inside the cave.
In the last 18 days, what began as a local search for the missing 13 turned into a complex rescue operation, involving hundreds of experts who flew in from around the world to help.

Last edited by Edward64 : 07-13-2018 at 06:41 AM.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:17 AM   #17808
Kodos
Resident Alien

Glad they are out. Yesterday, I literally had to stop reading an article about it because just reading about trying to navigate a confusing series of paths under water to get out was pushing me toward panic. I can't imagine how scary that must feel.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:40 AM   #17809
Edward64
Head Coach

Some more details.
Cave rescue: Key questions answered - BBC News
Quote:
Coach Nop said Ake may be asked to go back to being a monk for a while, something Thais typically do as a kind of penance, or to replenish or cleanse themselves spiritually.

Such a move would make a lot of sense to Thais, and he would likely be allowed to resume life as normal after that.

Also Thailand typically does not have a 'blame culture', where a culprit must be found for any misadventure. There is a more fatalistic acceptance of things going wrong, less public clamour for accountability.
:
Coach Ake taught them to meditate, say Thai navy divers, and gave them more food than he ate. He also told them to drink water dripping from the rocks, rather than polluted ground water.

During their last six to eight days they were being fed, initially high-protein gels, but later more normal food, which might have allowed them to start putting on a little weight before coming out.
:
Were they in the dark the whole time?
Most of the time. They went in with cheap torches, which would not have lasted long. It is likely they were in the dark for most of the first nine days of their ordeal.

Once they were found a Thai army doctor and at least three divers stayed with them, equipped with good torches. Even so they were mostly in the dark, and had to wear sunglasses when they were first brought out.
:
Were they sedated in any way?
The Thai authorities are being very coy about this.

Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha said they had been lightly sedated. But the BBC has spoken to a number of people involved in the operation who say the boys were heavily sedated, and only semi-conscious.

The logic for this would be the fear their rescuers had that they would panic when wearing diving equipment for the first time in darkness and swirling cave water, endangering the lives of all of them.

The two British cave divers who led the rescue effort, John Volanthen and Richard Stanton, are believed to have asked for Australian Richard Harris, a cave diver and anaesthetician, to assist in preparing the boys
Old 07-17-2018, 01:01 PM   #17810
bhlloy
Coordinator

I think of all the useless professions I have ever had to deal with, background checker has to be near to or at the top.

I've switched jobs a couple times in the last 18 months and each time it's been the same song and dance - fill out the online forms, wait until a few weeks after starting the job and then get officious sounding emails from idiots telling them I have to provide them a ton of information immediately as they weren't able to validate my details.

Firstly, if I have to send you every detail of my life in pdf format (offer letters and pay slips to validate employment periods and certificates to validate degrees and professional certifications) what exactly are we paying you to do, and secondly, if this process is that critical to making sure I'm not a criminal or a psycho who shouldn't be allowed anywhere near full time employment, shouldn't it be completed before I've worked at the company a few weeks with full access to everything?

It's also worth noting that these jobs have covered a few Fortune 500 companies and now a cloud-native company with a startup culture and awesome technology, so it seems like either I've been unlucky or all background check companies are just terrible and this is a prime opportunity for somebody to come in and disrupt the whole thing.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 02:46 PM   #17811
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I've known a few other Uber drivers who have been on the platform for years and will suddenly get deactivated for a week or two due to some Checkr delay. At this point they've probably done 3-5000 rides. I don't think they're just going to randomly start finger banging pax. But no, you'll take him off the road for a week and a half so they can't earn any money.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:52 PM   #17812
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Not sure how sticking a garbage bag out of one of your windows makes a broken down car immune from Towing. Seems like a poor way to indicate that you will be right back to retrieve your car
Old 07-17-2018, 05:00 PM   #17813
molson
General Manager

The gravity of Doc Emmett Brown thwarting a domestic nuclear terror attack never really occurred to me.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:09 PM   #17814
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
The gravity of Doc Emmett Brown thwarting a domestic nuclear terror attack never really occurred to me.

This is heavy...
Old 07-17-2018, 05:14 PM   #17815
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
This is heavy...

Weight has nothing to do with it
Old 07-17-2018, 06:16 PM   #17816
stevew
Hall Of Famer

They were from the middle East I thought
Old 07-17-2018, 06:29 PM   #17817
molson
General Manager

Quote:
They were from the middle East I thought

Ya, they were Libyan nationalists, but they supplied Doc plutonium in the United States, and Doc supplied them a fake bomb in the United States. Seems more likely the Libyans planned to use the bomb in the U.S. rather than transport it overseas, which would be difficult and seemingly backwards.

OR, Doc went overseas himself to make this deal and deliver the fake bomb, and then transported the plutonium to the U.S. using secret mad scientist channels. Which would be quite the Back to the Future spin-off movie.

Last edited by molson : 07-17-2018 at 06:30 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:41 AM   #17818
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

I just realized cars don’t have radio antennas anymore
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:59 AM   #17819
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AENeuman View Post
I just realized cars don’t have radio antennas anymore

Well, they don't have old-school whip antenna.

The most common application now, I guess, is "in-glass" ... but they're still there.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:46 PM   #17820
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The future attorney offspring has had an interesting summer internship.

Today's adventure: watching a defendant who only spoke in iambic pentameter.

Both sides and the judge all quickly agreed that perhaps a competency hearing was in order before the case proceeded further.
Old 07-20-2018, 05:46 PM   #17821
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

So, my boss proverbially walked out the door on Monday. No notice, he said fuck it, I'm done. (I can understand the frustrations.)

I'm the boss now. This week has been, ahem, insane.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:43 PM   #17822
miami_fan
Coordinator

Congrats on the promotion?!
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:53 PM   #17823
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

This is why I only eat junk food

McDonald’s salads tainted with poop have now infected 163 people in 10 states
Old 07-21-2018, 01:44 AM   #17824
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
The future attorney offspring has had an interesting summer internship.

Today's adventure: watching a defendant who only spoke in iambic pentameter.

Both sides and the judge all quickly agreed that perhaps a competency hearing was in order before the case proceeded further.

I’d like to set the record truly straight,
And take a moment to reiterate:
I’m not the state’s defendant in this plot;
My therapist says I still have ration’l thought.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 03:25 AM   #17825
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr View Post
I’d like to set the record truly straight,
And take a moment to reiterate:
I’m not the state’s defendant in this plot;
My therapist says I still have ration’l thought.

The meta-fact that this post came from a poster named Shkspr truly takes it into the sublime.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 03:55 AM   #17826
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
The meta-fact that this post came from a poster named Shkspr truly takes it into the sublime.

+1
Old 07-23-2018, 08:17 PM   #17827
PilotMan
Head Coach

My youngest (14) made a really dirty "that's what she said" comment earlier today (his older brother said "she said it's not wet enough" talking about something mom said) and I had mixed feelings about it.

As dad, I was able to keep a straight face, and simply shake my head, no. I did eventually have to relent that it was indeed funny.

The kid is funny. His timing is totally natural and he's easily the funniest of my boys. On the inside, I was totally proud of his ability to totally nail this. It's just weird when your kids are hitting completely adult jokes, right in stride, right in earshot.

Parenting is all about choices, ya know?

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 07-23-2018 at 08:19 PM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:47 PM   #17828
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
It's just weird when your kids are hitting completely adult jokes, right in stride, right in earshot.

Parenting is all about choices, ya know?

It's a transition, to be sure.

To retain the upper hand, just be sure that you remind them now & again that you can still come up with stuff that makes them blush
Old 07-25-2018, 07:23 PM   #17829
RainMaker
General Manager

Well my whole block was evacuated by a hazmat team. So that's a new one.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 07:29 PM   #17830
Kodos
Resident Alien

Did you have a McDonald's salad?
Old 07-25-2018, 07:32 PM   #17831
RainMaker
General Manager

Not sure. Was at a real estate office a couple doors down that people were getting sick and losing feeling in their tongue. Might be from one of the condos above.

Looks like everything is fine?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 07:38 PM   #17832
Edward64
Head Coach

Does this mean the zombie apocalypse won't be happening?
Old 07-25-2018, 08:27 PM   #17833
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I find it interesting that 15 years ago if you didn’t own a watch you probably walked around not knowing what time it is.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:11 AM   #17834
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

I’ve become obsessed with this reviewer from Missouri. She keeps doing great vacation things a having the worst time ever.
Jenspen68 - Member Reviews - TripAdvisor
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 06:55 AM   #17835
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AENeuman View Post
I’ve become obsessed with this reviewer from Missouri. She keeps doing great vacation things a having the worst time ever.
Jenspen68 - Member Reviews - TripAdvisor

lol, she seems like a fun person.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:02 PM   #17836
Groundhog
Coordinator

Every youtube ad I've seen over the past 3-5 days has been for Gaia, some wacky 'Ancient Aliens'-type of conspiracy site. I can't figure out what it is about my browsing habits that has led to this.
Old 07-29-2018, 06:57 AM   #17837
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I'm pretty sure that this is the first person to hold "world" titles in both the lightweight and heavyweight boxing world.

Now, it is the WBU, and it was 45 year old Danny Williams he faced, but Lee McAllister, who fought at the 158 pound weight class, stopped him in the 10th round to win the title.

With Williams retirement after the fight, I think that was the last active boxer to defeat Tyson, right?
Old 07-29-2018, 07:15 AM   #17838
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post

With Williams retirement after the fight, I think that was the last active boxer to defeat Tyson, right?

I believe that'd be correct.

There were only 6 Tyson losses, to 5 different fighters.

Buster Douglas last fought in 1999
Evander Holyfield last fought in 2011
Lennox Lewis last fought in 2003
Kevin McBride last fought in 2011
Old 07-31-2018, 06:15 PM   #17839
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, this is from my FB but I'm gonna repurpose it here. Deal with it.
-----------------

Some things are just too quintessentially ... me.

I decide to make a necessary Walmart run before the rain hits. Naturally, the rain starts as I'm walking to the car.

I figure, hey, there's a Subway in Walmart. Wife is fine with it & I can manage, that'll save an additional outing.

15 minutes in line behind 2 families, get to the counter ... "oh, we outta white bread". (You have ovens ... you're open for another four hours ... how in the #$% are you 'out' of bread?!? And for the second straight time on my rare visits no less). No, I don't want that nasty wheat crap nor any of your other not-worth-a-damn breads.

And so, after 90 minutes out & without a dry thread on ... and my dinner will end up being the same baloney sandwich I coulda had without ever leaving the house.

You wonder why I chainsmoke & have only seen a doctor once in almost twenty years? THIS. 51 years of that kinda shit, the last thing I'm looking to do is artificially extend it.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:35 AM   #17840
Edward64
Head Coach

Apple hit $1T market cap this morning.

Congratulations and well deserved. Definitely one of the companies that changed the world.

Hope your stock price keeps on going up!
Old 08-02-2018, 10:12 AM   #17841
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

along the Apple line. This fell into my lap yesterday. Was a facinating read.
General Magic: Oral History of the Influential Tech Company
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 02:29 PM   #17842
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I have an employee who is about to have his first child today (and might have already), and while I have absolutely no interest in revisiting that time in my life (my youngest is 14 and that's fine by me), I damn sure wish we had been able to have children during a time when it was common for employment benefits to include 2-3 months of paid parental leave - which includes the father. My first job was at the state - not exactly a sweat shop - but I still only took off 3 days before I returned to work after Caitlin was born.

I think those of us who missed the parental leave bus should get like a month sabbatical after we've been with the company for like 10 or 15 years. Just to even things out a bit.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-03-2018 at 02:30 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 06:56 AM   #17843
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I have an employee who is about to have his first child today (and might have already), and while I have absolutely no interest in revisiting that time in my life (my youngest is 14 and that's fine by me), I damn sure wish we had been able to have children during a time when it was common for employment benefits to include 2-3 months of paid parental leave - which includes the father. My first job was at the state - not exactly a sweat shop - but I still only took off 3 days before I returned to work after Caitlin was born.

I think those of us who missed the parental leave bus should get like a month sabbatical after we've been with the company for like 10 or 15 years. Just to even things out a bit.

I had this thought a couple of weeks ago. About a year after my son was born, the military introduced parental leave for the father. I think it was 10 days. I was shocked when my civilian nephew told me that he will get three months parental leave for his son's birth. Good deal for parents today. I hope they use that time wisely
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 08-04-2018, 09:13 AM   #17844
MrBug708
Head Coach

I don't think paid parental leave from the employer is the norm yet
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 10:58 AM   #17845
miami_fan
Coordinator

I am relatively new to Little League baseball so maybe this has been a thing for a while. When did they begin using replay to review calls and at what point do they start? I know they did not use it in my son's local league and at the district level but I see it being used at the regional level.

Side note: I am secretly hoping one of the kids makes the VAR sign on a close call.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:15 AM   #17846
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Gotta love it when credit card and other billing companies don't adjust monthly payment due dates to account for weekends or holidays. I usually pay my bills at least a day early so I don't get screwed when a payment doesn't post the day of, so my 3 bills due on September 4th? Looks like they are due on August 31st. Awesome!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:39 AM   #17847
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I am relatively new to Little League baseball so maybe this has been a thing for a while. When did they begin using replay to review calls and at what point do they start? I know they did not use it in my son's local league and at the district level but I see it being used at the regional level.

Side note: I am secretly hoping one of the kids makes the VAR sign on a close call.

2016 was the first year it was used at the regional level.

As the linked article from that announcement notes, it's actually been available for the LLWS since 2008, the first baseball league to make use of it.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:08 AM   #17848
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Dear Sweet Newborn Baby Jesus,

Please let this be true.

Old 08-16-2018, 01:39 PM   #17849
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Earlier today I shaved for the first time in, well let's just say it'd been a little while.

And while doing so it struck me that I've reached the point in life where I probably lost more weight from shaving than I do from a haircut.

That's just bloody depressing :/

(yep, repurposed from my social media ... but it's often quite random thought'ish)
Old 08-16-2018, 01:58 PM   #17850
Edward64
Head Coach

I'm picturing present day David Letterman.