Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-24-2018, 11:46 PM   #151
SackAttack
Head Coach

Got curbstomped by the first boss in Persona 5 a year and a half ago, and quickly realized that my save process and insufficient leveling were to blame.

I finally started the game up again for another try two weeks ago and this time around it's going much better.

Might be my favorite game of the last 3-4 years.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 06:12 AM   #152
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep
If you're a fan of Papers, Please then I strongly recommend taking a look at Not Tonight.

Thanks! I don't have time for the stuff I'm already doing, so I'd like to play this but Not Tonight. Wishlisted though.

Glory to Arstotzka!!

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 08-25-2018 at 06:18 AM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 12:43 PM   #153
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Dragon Quest 11 is preloading on my PC right now, huzzah!
Old 09-16-2018, 11:12 AM   #154
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Just finished Spiderman for the PS4.

10/10. Simply amazing.

Six movies and three actors, and this game is probably the best portrayal of Spiderman I've experienced.
Old 09-16-2018, 02:06 PM   #155
Jughead Spock
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Just finished Spiderman for the PS4.

10/10. Simply amazing.

Six movies and three actors, and this game is probably the best portrayal of Spiderman I've experienced.

I'm seriously pondering buying a PS4 *just* for that. Well played, Sony.
Jughead Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 03:43 PM   #156
miami_fan
Coordinator

Another trip down memory lane is coming

PlayStation Classic: Sony is getting in on the retro console craze
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:10 PM   #157
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Looks like Telltale Games is shutting down

https://www.gameinformer.com/2018/09...ly-closes-down
Old 09-21-2018, 06:32 PM   #158
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Looks like Telltale Games is shutting down

https://www.gameinformer.com/2018/09...ly-closes-down

This is really sad to see.

On the surface poor management seems to be the only thing that makes sense. The sales they were reporting on the Walking Dead games alone should have been enough to keep the company afloat. I obviously don't know what their structure was, but 225 employees sounds like way too many for a company of their profile.

Last edited by Atocep : 09-21-2018 at 06:33 PM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 12:13 AM   #159
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Daaaaamn the out of the box settings for the "story mode" for MyGM in NBA 2k19 appear to be crazy broken.

Better than last year overall, but utterly inane in spots, the brokeass part involves an expansion team being able to sign LeBron (complete with cut scenes that both discuss the near impossibility of such a thing happening AND with a Lebron cut scene that doesn't indicate he thinks it's weird in the least) over any number of other max deal offers.

The way it was set up, I honestly figured "okay, no way this happens" ... and, bloop, in a matter of a minute or so, I have him.

Playing games sim-only, I'm something like 42-9 through 51 games. LBJ + Doncic aren't bad cornerstones for an expansion club that otherwise has mostly expansion draft players who were recommended by name (all making under $3m/yr with multi-year control) by various members of my staff. That seems to be the key to this path (which is never really addressed in game by anyone other than LBJ when you beat the hell out of Cleveland): make sure you spend nothing in the expansion draft & leave yourself max flexibility for FA time. That, plus one of four choices with the owner dialogue that precedes it (for all I know, all the options could lead to getting him)

I know there are several sliders that can be used to move the difficulty of trades & signing up/down but I'm flabbergasted -- even with 2k involved -- that they defaults are apparently "so easy a small child can do it". This isn't so much annoying or exasperating as it is downright comical.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-25-2018 at 12:13 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 12:26 AM   #160
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
This is really sad to see.

On the surface poor management seems to be the only thing that makes sense. The sales they were reporting on the Walking Dead games alone should have been enough to keep the company afloat. I obviously don't know what their structure was, but 225 employees sounds like way too many for a company of their profile.

The newer games weren't selling. I think Walking Dead sold 4 million but that was years ago. Some of their new ones weren't even breaking 100k in sales.

I was kind of surprised when I heard the news but then I noticed everyone talking about it was talking about their older games and it doesn't seem like anyone is buying the new stuff.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:30 PM   #161
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
The newer games weren't selling. I think Walking Dead sold 4 million but that was years ago. Some of their new ones weren't even breaking 100k in sales.

I was kind of surprised when I heard the news but then I noticed everyone talking about it was talking about their older games and it doesn't seem like anyone is buying the new stuff.

Across all platforms they did pretty well for what they should have been, a small studio. They only made one type of game, for the most part, and over-saturated the market with those games though. When you make one type of game within a niche genre you probably shouldn't rapidly expand your studio to over 300 employees after your 1st widely successful game.

The Walking Dead was their bread and butter with 1 and 2 both selling very well, but quality started to drop off with Michonne and New Frontier. Wolf Among Us was their most successful non-WD series game and unfortunately they never got around to a sequel.

Another problem was some of the best work was in games where most fans of the IP weren't exactly the target audience for Telltale style games. I thought Borderlands was their best overall game and Batman 1 was solid with 2 outstanding. But do most video game playing Batman fans want to play an interactive story driven Batman adventure? Do Borderlands fans really want to play a Telltale game?

I'm incredibly disappointed we won't see Wolf Among Us 2 or another Telltale Borderlands game. But at the same time I realize the Borderlands game, Minecraft, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Game of Thrones probably should have never been made.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:32 PM   #162
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I thought Borderlands was their best overall game

I'd still put it behind TWAU but the Borderlands thing was shockingly entertaining to me, and now that you've mentioned it I'm surprised it hasn't gotten more love in their eulogies.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:28 PM   #163
RainMaker
General Manager

This isn't exactly sales but gives an idea of the popularity of titles.

Old 09-26-2018, 05:52 PM   #164
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, that's kind of a death spiral in a straight line right there :/
Old 10-26-2018, 12:59 AM   #165
MrBug708
Head Coach

Red Dead Redemption 2 came out tonight
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 01:03 AM   #166
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post

Traded in the ps4 to get the ps4 pro bundle and picked it up earlier tonight. The first was probably my favorite console game. Reviews for 2 are incredible. It's installing now, but I won't be able to play until sometime tomorrow.
Old 10-26-2018, 08:19 AM   #167
Calis
College Starter

Upside of insomnia is I was up at about 4 this morning so I played a few hours of Red Dead Redemption 2 before I had to leave for work.

I’ve avoided reading up on it because I knew I was going to buy it... I’m a sucker for Westerns.

Still extremely early of course but I’m surprised with how.. methidical I guess is the word. This isn’t an Ubisoft style open world game. It definitely goes for the immersion route rather than quick animations/cuts. It definitely doesn’t rush into getting going either. I can see that turning some folks off but I think it’s a nice change of pace. The little bit of combat I’ve had has been ok. I’ve never been a big fan of the shooting in Rockstar games, but too early to really say how it is.

It looks great, there’s already several interesting characters.. great sound. I think it’ll be great. Only complaint I have so far is there sure s a lot of buttons and combos to memorize. Going to take some time.

Last edited by Calis : 10-26-2018 at 08:28 AM.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:17 AM   #168
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Leeeet's go Red Dead!!!
Old 10-26-2018, 09:28 AM   #169
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post

I'm going into a RDR2 coma for the next few days.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:44 AM   #170
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I have the UPS delivery map up showing RDR2 getting ever closer to my house.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 03:35 AM   #171
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Pro tip, if you have a destination waypoint set and don't care to stop for anything when headed there, you can just go into cinematic mode and let Arthur ride his way there.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:19 AM   #172
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Really, really impressed with the depth and immersion in RDR2. I can already tell there is going to be a lot of time just wandering around the countryside discovering stuff, and not just endless dashing from quest to quest.

This is the first game I've played where it seems that world just goes on, and you aren't reason for the game universe to exist.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:52 PM   #173
RainMaker
General Manager

So how is the game?
Old 10-30-2018, 06:57 PM   #174
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Bump-

Curious about Red Dead also. I loved Grand Theft Auto back in the day, but don't play many games anymore that require max attention with a huge learning curve, if that makes sense.

I tried Fortnite, what a disaster that was
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 08:38 PM   #175
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

I loved the first RDR and am about 9-10 hours into the second one. I am really curious about what people think of RDR II given how much games seem to have changed since RDR came out. The pacing of RDR II is very much in line with RDR. That pacing is considerably slower than a lot of recent releases. This isn't exactly sprinting around the world like one would in an Assassin's Creed. RDR II seems slow by comparison. Whether it is trotting slowly from place to place or hearing more about the game world in extended conversations, I'm not quite sure about how players receive that pace in 2018.

That being said, the slower pace has really grown on me. It's taken some time, but I appreciate the way the game forces me to slow down. There is a beauty in the attention to detail and the craftsmanship that has gone into creating such an incredible world. I just wonder if the 2018 player will have the patience to work through the first 6+ hours to get used to the way the game plays.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 08:40 PM   #176
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

My kid (who got RDR2 on released) had an interesting line about it just a few minutes ago, so I'll share.

Quote:
You know how we said that Witcher 2 was probably the best designed video game around, just not necessarily the most fun or best experience ? I think it's been replaced by RDR2

Some of you might remember me mentioning the original comment, in the context of how Witcher was an impressive feat & no question a fantastic game ... but that it only got 4th or 5th most play time from me even in the release year. That there was somehow less engagement/enjoyment in actually playing it than I'd expect from something that I was calling "maybe best game ever".

FWIW, that's the comparison he made after several days with it.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:57 PM   #177
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'm missing the humor from RDR.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:57 PM   #178
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
My kid (who got RDR2 on released) had an interesting line about it just a few minutes ago, so I'll share.

Some of you might remember me mentioning the original comment, in the context of how Witcher was an impressive feat & no question a fantastic game ... but that it only got 4th or 5th most play time from me even in the release year. That there was somehow less engagement/enjoyment in actually playing it than I'd expect from something that I was calling "maybe best game ever".

FWIW, that's the comparison he made after several days with it.

That seems to scan with most of what I'm reading about the game. Most people seem to feel like the environment is so real and breathtaking that it really makes the "social" aspects (mainly NPC interaction) look completely backward in comparison - as if the game has no soul.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 08:59 PM   #179
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
That seems to scan with most of what I'm reading about the game. Most people seem to feel like the environment is so real and breathtaking that it really makes the "social" aspects (mainly NPC interaction) look completely backward in comparison - as if the game has no soul.

He did, however, in the same conversation call it a "must play".

The question, I guess, is how long it holds once you get past the grand spectacle of it all.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:17 PM   #180
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Already 4 chapters in.

Really really good, and probably the best game R* has ever made.

Considering it’s a prequel, and you know where the story is headed, they have done a damn fine job with the story.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:24 PM   #181
Edward64
Head Coach

Not on PC yet unfortunately.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:49 AM   #182
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

With RDR2's slower pace, to me it actually feels like a real life place. Loving it so far.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:38 PM   #183
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Daaaaamn RDR2 is a hard disk hog.

I think I ended up deleting six games just to squeeze barely enough space to fit it.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 10-31-2018 at 10:39 PM.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:38 PM   #184
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I think I ended up deleting six games just to squeeze barely enough space to fit it.

HAHA.. me too! Like 105 GB total installation!
Old 11-01-2018, 04:43 AM   #185
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'll say this much for RDR2 (after about an hour), it sure feels like a worthy successor. The sound in particular could have been a continuation of the previous installment, made it "feel right" to me.

I will say too though, for as amazing as the game looks, I didn't get past the 2nd "chapter" before running into one of the clipping issues I'd read about. Amazing looking world ... and then you walk right through the corner of a building with a stray board passing through your head. Pops the immersion bubble really quick.
Old 11-01-2018, 09:19 AM   #186
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Just riding my horse in the snow is quite an amazing feeling. Can't wait until the hand holding (tutorial) is over and I can explore this open world.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:03 AM   #187
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I have to go to target today. My wife has a girls weekend staring tomorrow. Seems like a good time to grab this.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:07 AM   #188
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Smash Bros Ultimate is confirmed to ship with 74 fighters. I'll be picking up a Switch this holiday season if I can find a good bundle. Black Friday is just around the corner.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:04 PM   #189
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

I purchased a 4 TB hard drive for my PS4 for $65 at Best Buy. Well worth it so I don't have to worry about HD space anymore.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 11:57 PM   #190
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I purchased a 4 TB hard drive for my PS4 for $65 at Best Buy. Well worth it so I don't have to worry about HD space anymore.

I don't even know what the options / costs with doing something like that for XB1 might be, but I'd probably have to play the console more to (mentally) justify doing it.

I'll play for a cpl weeks in a row on some stuff but then can easily go a month or more without touching it.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:27 AM   #191
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I have the money for a xbox1x and 4k tv but can't justify the purchase considering nothing is wrong with our xbox1 and 52" HDTV.
Old 11-02-2018, 01:23 PM   #192
Thomkal
Head Coach

Some news out of Blizz Con-no not the Lucio Overwatch cereal coming out that (I think) you can also get Overwatch stuff in game. Its the 1 year anniversary of Destiny 2 (on PC), so until Nov 18, Blizzard is giving the base game away for free. Have to download it on Battle Net

Edit: Blizzard also announced that Warcraft 3 is being re-mastered and due out "next year"
Edit2: Diablo Immortal for Mobile also announced: https://www.pcgamer.com/blizzard-ann...ffer-pcgamertw

Last edited by Thomkal : 11-02-2018 at 02:53 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 04:44 AM   #193
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The kid picked up Black Ops 4 Thursday night, which meant I was required to play at least a bit of both traditional MP modes and the new Blackout mode (aka COD Fortnite).

The most interesting part of the experience to me is that, honestly, I think maybe too much was made of Blackout. Yeah, it's essentially viewed (right or wrong) as the reason they didn't bother with the single player campaign this go 'round & that's perfectly valid to criticize. For me at least, the furor over COD-PUBG had me expecting -- again, right or wrong -- a diminished traditional multiplayer experience.

I don't like the UI, I'm not crazy about some other choices they made with regard to those modes either, but at the very core of them at least they were still familiar & largely felt ... intact.

Take that fwiw, I mention it mostly in case anyone else had gotten the impression I described.

edit to add: Oh, as for Blackout itself. I'd basically call it Fortnite Lite. Feels a lot more casual to me, and removes the obnoxious build-at-the-speed-of-light requirement to be a top player. Top 20-30 finishes (which, granted, basically earn you nothing) was possible for me within just a few plays, despite having yet to record a single kill. And every death was pretty straightforward, I knew why I died, I knew what I did wrong (and a few things I did right), it just made more sense to me. I'm not a fan of the mode/genre in general & it's unlikely I ever will be, but I didn't feel the urge to throw shit at the TV (unlike Fortnite).

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-25-2018 at 04:49 AM.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:01 AM   #194
Thomkal
Head Coach

Don't have an Xbox, so don't know how good a deal this is, but this popped up on my twitter today:

Xbox Game Pass | Start Your Free Trial | Xbox
Old 11-26-2018, 12:10 PM   #195
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Anyone getting in on Artifact?
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 01:22 PM   #196
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Anyone getting in on Artifact?

I went from day 1 no doubt to on the fence after seeing the pricing model.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:23 PM   #197
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Some of these 4K TV deals are burning a hole in my wallet. Just might pull the trigger soon and then trade in my Xbox1 for an Xbox1x.

Saw Tomb Raider in 4k and it looks stunning. I bet Madden, NHL and other games I have like Far Cry 5 look great as well.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 11-26-2018 at 09:23 PM.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:28 AM   #198
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Some of these 4K TV deals are burning a hole in my wallet. Just might pull the trigger soon and then trade in my Xbox1 for an Xbox1x.

Saw Tomb Raider in 4k and it looks stunning. I bet Madden, NHL and other games I have like Far Cry 5 look great as well.

I need to upgrade my eyes before I upgrade my tv. Anything above 720 p is indistinguishable for me.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 10:48 AM   #199
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilodor View Post
I need to upgrade my eyes before I upgrade my tv. Anything above 720 p is indistinguishable for me.

A 4K TV with 4K player and movies is fantastic.

A 4K TV with regular cable/streaming is not that great (I would actually say its worse).

A 4K TV with hidef cable/streaming is okay.

So if you are stuck with regular cable/streaming, then probably not worth your while.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:46 AM   #200
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I ordered an LG 55" SK9000 for $600 off retail. Next I'll get an Xbox One X and upgrade our Netflix package to include 4K. We also have Dish and they have a 4K channel that has sports and stuff.