Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-16-2018, 11:02 AM   #201
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Bet a lot of your guys watched that game and wished they were leaving for their missions next week!

They are a physical defense, more physical than Wisconsin on that side of the ball at least. I am excited for that game, I think we can hold them in check defensively, but moving the ball will be tough.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 05:26 PM   #202
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
That was, uh, pretty unexpected stuff today. I mean, there's mediocre or middlin', but today was a lot worse than that.

For Arky's sake, I hope the buyout on the new coach's contract is a small one cause he may not make it to the end of the season at this rate.

Two things.
1) arky was bad last year and had a lame duck staff recruiting was bad.
2) for better of worse Chad is sticking with his system win lose or draw. His system requires smaller agile olinemen. BB recruited big heavy road graders. It won't work until Chad gets a line class or two in there.

I'll go way on a limb and say that Morris will play in an SEC championship game in 5 years if he's given 5.

Patience is the key here. Let him get his guys on O....
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 06:03 PM   #203
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Jake Browning didn't look great, made a bunch of decisions a senior QB shouldn't make. That being said the O-Line did a terrible job of picking up the blitz.
I think you're being a little too harsh on Jake. I counted only two really bad decisions he made, and he was bailed-out of one of them by a targeting call. Granted, the other one was really bad and symptomatic of a recurring bad habit he has of trying to pull a Russell Wilson out there, but other than that I thought he made some nice throws. Keep in mind that a lot of what really sells the coaches on Jake is stuff that's hard for us to see, namely his freedom to check plays at the LOS to take advantage of what he sees from the D.

The OL is a concern. Adams is done for the year, Harris keeps getting hurt and the coaches shuttled in backups at LG and LT during the game to see if they could do better than the starters. That said, most of their issues are blown assignments which you'd figure is more likely to be fixable than them simply not being physically capable of a high level of play. And much as we've seen over the past few years, the running game is starting to click as we get a few games into the season.

The D is playing well, but one concern there is the inability of the front four guys to get significant pass rush and the need to send corner and safety blitzes to rush the passer.

Looking forward to the BYU game - should be another physical slobber-knocker.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 10:31 PM   #204
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
I'll go way on a limb and say that Morris will play in an SEC championship game in 5 years if he's given 5.

1) I can't see any way he gets five years.
2) I'm not sure they get to the conf. c'ship game in 50 years, much less 5.
Depends on how long Saban lives/coaches I guess.
3) You'll have to forgive me if I'm not enamored with the "smaller agile linemen" philosophy right now. Losses to Pitt have that effect I guess.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM   #205
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The Texas team that showed up against USC on Saturday night was one the fans have been waiting to see for a long time. Wasn't expecting that based on what I saw in the first two games. On a side note, that was win #900 in school history. Win #800 was also against USC, in the national championship game. Now they have to avoid the letdown against TCU this weekend.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 11:44 AM   #206
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
Two things.
1) arky was bad last year and had a lame duck staff recruiting was bad.
2) for better of worse Chad is sticking with his system win lose or draw. His system requires smaller agile olinemen. BB recruited big heavy road graders. It won't work until Chad gets a line class or two in there.

You were doing good until you went too far on the limb Too much competition in the west and recruiting to Arky with all those elite schools around will prevent that. Besides, will his offense work with playing Bama, LSU, Auburn, Miss State, A&M (hopefully) defenses? I have my doubts.

Regardless, should you really be getting blown the F out by cUNT? At home no less
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 12:23 PM   #207
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Two things.

Not going to happen. We won't finish top 3 in the west over the next 5 years. He's over his head right now. I'm not sure I've seen a team give up a coach in my entire life on the Hill right now. I was in the stands for Citadel and that team won 4 games. This team won't win another game all year and probably not 5 games next season.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 12:29 PM   #208
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post
You were doing good until you went too far on the limb Too much competition in the west and recruiting to Arky with all those elite schools around will prevent that. Besides, will his offense work with playing Bama, LSU, Auburn, Miss State, A&M (hopefully) defenses? I have my doubts.

Regardless, should you really be getting blown the F out by cUNT? At home no less

We used 3 punters against North Texas and the longest punt we had was 41 yards. How the hell do you not know which of your punters can kick the ball 40 yards? You give the other team a short field every time and you are going to get blown out. Then while your punting sucks, throw 6 interceptions. In fact, the guy who looked better in game one and had a lead over CSU at halftime before you pulled him didn't take one freaking snap against cUNT. We played a 5'2" freshman as our 2nd QB and played Jerry Jones' grandson as the 3rd QB(because Jerry was at the game). Both threw a pick and had a QBR of 5 or lower for the game. Hey did I mention that Chad's kid was the backup QB at the same high school as Jerry's grandson. We are fucked as Chad will have Jerry's kid start in a year and hold the spot for his son. I know it's coming and there is nothing we can do about it.

At least I don't have to spend money on a bowl trip for the next few years.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:49 PM   #209
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

And now Chad announced just now that Storey (the QB who wasn't good enough to play again UNT) is starting against Auburn. He has no clue what the hell is going on.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:04 PM   #210
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I get it. I understand the reaction.
I also know Chad Morris.

He doesnt have players at all for his system.

Chandler will not be the starting QB there. He will probably be the holder. This is straight out of the Swinney playbook that Chad is copying. Scholarships to all assistant coaches kids. It promotes the family atmosphere, and serves to lock in valuable assistants as well. Gene Stallings' grandson is on scholarship at Clemson and the Chariman of BOT son just graduated off scholarship. Swinney's own son is on scholarship. D-Coord Bren Venables sion is on scholarship. etc.

Regarding whether his offense will work against Bama, LSU, et al.
In his time at Clemson he was 3-0 against Auburn. 1-0 against LSU. And his offense was the basis for the 1-1 and NC against Bama.

His spread, power, up tempo has been the traditional Achilles heel for big defenses. Its what lead Mullen to be the most successful against Saban among all the SEC coaches of recent.

I know Morris told friends after his first week of Arkansas practices that he had 10+ starters from last year's SMU team that would start for this team. I have heard that he privately has told the AD that this would be a bad year. A 3-5 win year.

Make no mistake, losing to NT is never acceptable when you are Arkansas. I get that. Never. But the cupboard is pretty bare.

If I am wrong roast me in 5 years. But I'll double down on winning the SECW in the next 5.

Last edited by CU Tiger : 09-17-2018 at 01:05 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:44 PM   #211
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

LOL at Mike. Been there, done that, bro! Good to hear you are staying positive with the financial aspects of being the SEC's Rice.

This is why I questioned Morris taking this job. His offense is about as polar opposite to what Fat Bret ran that you can get. You're right CU, it will take a couple of iterations of recruiting cycles to get his guys there. So for the next 2-3 seasons, he'll be playing incredibly young guys that match his system. But he'll be doing that against the seasoned squads led by Saban, Malzahn, Jimbo, etc. Yearly. Ouch.

I'd like to see a Texas boy succeed in Fayattenam, but I think he gets run out of there by the end of year 3. Which will let the next coach walk into a much better situation than he did, provided Paul Johnson isnt hired.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 02:36 PM   #212
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post
LOL at Mike. Been there, done that, bro! Good to hear you are staying positive with the financial aspects of being the SEC's Rice.

This is why I questioned Morris taking this job. His offense is about as polar opposite to what Fat Bret ran that you can get. You're right CU, it will take a couple of iterations of recruiting cycles to get his guys there. So for the next 2-3 seasons, he'll be playing incredibly young guys that match his system. But he'll be doing that against the seasoned squads led by Saban, Malzahn, Jimbo, etc. Yearly. Ouch.

I'd like to see a Texas boy succeed in Fayattenam, but I think he gets run out of there by the end of year 3. Which will let the next coach walk into a much better situation than he did, provided Paul Johnson isnt hired.

We'd have to run the AD out first. Him and Chad are tight as he almost hired him for Houston but the board wanted Herman instead.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:44 PM   #213
Butter
Coordinator

Definitely not an overreaction to want to fire a new coach after 2 or 3 games.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:31 PM   #214
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post

When they should never have been hired in the first place ...
Old 09-17-2018, 04:34 PM   #215
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

OTOH, who the Hell you going to get 2-3 games into the football season?
Old 09-17-2018, 04:34 PM   #216
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Especially when the team was 2-8 vs FBS teams last year.

But Florida State and Willie Taggart...
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 04:40 PM   #217
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Regarding whether his offense will work against Bama, LSU, et al. In his time at Clemson he was 3-0 against Auburn. 1-0 against LSU. And his offense was the basis for the 1-1 and NC against Bama.

I think that'd be 2-0 vs Auburn.
2011 & 2012. (He didn't arrive until after the win in 2010, right?)

2011 was an Auburn that finished 8-5
2012 was an Auburn that finished 3-9

2012 vs LSU in the Peach Bowl, a 1 point win behind a defense that held the (purple) Tigers to just 219 total yards.

Double down on your prediction if you want, but I hope you don't put more than $1 on it.

I wouldn't bet more on him winning the SECW than I would on ME winning it.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:01 AM   #218
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post

Willie Taggart is a god damn national treasure.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:01 AM   #219
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
When they should never have been hired in the first place ...

If there's one thing I know about JiMGa, it's his calm, reasonable approach and cool, logical demeanor in most situations. Certainly not overly emotional about things like politics and sports.

Last edited by Butter : 09-18-2018 at 07:02 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:32 AM   #220
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:

How did Florida State’s offensive line get this bad?

I doubt Saban could save this team this season. Next year's dependent on a JuCo transfer or two and some healthier linemen.

Frost at Nebraska is in the same boat, but with QB

Last edited by bronconick : 09-18-2018 at 07:33 AM.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:01 AM   #221
bob
College Starter

Watching a few post game Paul Johnson interviews, and he really seems like a guy that is sick of everything (the media, fans, admin, even the players that can't execute his genius play calling) and has a foot out the door. I doubt Tech will fire him after this season (or even could afford to at this point), but I could see CPJ pulling the dick bag move of retiring in July to ensure that one of his assistants get a chance at the head coaching job.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:34 AM   #222
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Watching a few post game Paul Johnson interviews, and he really seems like a guy that is sick of everything (the media, fans, admin, even the players that can't execute his genius play calling) and has a foot out the door. I doubt Tech will fire him after this season (or even could afford to at this point), but I could see CPJ pulling the dick bag move of retiring in July to ensure that one of his assistants get a chance at the head coaching job.

I think he walks as soon as the season is over.
He is in a horrible position. His offense is clearly a limiting factor to his success, however the larger problem is GT has shown no indication of willingness to support football. College football is a Jimmies and Joes game, and when your facilities are as outdated as techs are, and you compound that by the academic hurdles that Tech has that many of its competitors do not...its a tough spot.

Now that said, wouldn't surprise me to see him circle the wagons and upset Clemson this week. It could happen. Certainly. It still wont change the fact that Tech is woefully uncommitted to long term success.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:41 AM   #223
Edward64
Head Coach

Good to see all the love for AR and the well wishes.

Nah, we won't win the SECW in the next 5 years, I think that is too high of a benchmark ... instead I would be happy with a solid top 10-20 team that gets into nice bowls.

I do think we need to give him a couple years and then we'll see. However, if we only end up with a 2-3 win season, it'll be difficult.

I am surprised at QB situation. Cole Kelley played half-way decently last year and now it looks like its a lost cause. Unfortunate but do think we need to move on.

Last edited by Edward64 : 09-18-2018 at 08:41 AM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:54 AM   #224
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
I think he walks as soon as the season is over.
He is in a horrible position. His offense is clearly a limiting factor to his success, however the larger problem is GT has shown no indication of willingness to support football. College football is a Jimmies and Joes game, and when your facilities are as outdated as techs are, and you compound that by the academic hurdles that Tech has that many of its competitors do not...its a tough spot.

Now that said, wouldn't surprise me to see him circle the wagons and upset Clemson this week. It could happen. Certainly. It still wont change the fact that Tech is woefully uncommitted to long term success.

He's seemed done for a few years now.

And they won't beat Clemson. They didn't even score on Pitt until the second half, and Pitt is not what one would call even "mediocre".
Old 09-18-2018, 09:30 AM   #225
bob
College Starter

Quote:

Clemson fans seem to be worried about this for some reason, but GT winning this weekend would be among the more surprising results in the last 10 years to me. There is nothing about this team that gives me confidence that they can even keep it close. At this point I just hope they don't quit.

Stupid question that I'll ask those of you that really know how football teams work - how much does GT's offense affect its defense in terms of practice and preparation? I assume they use some sort of scout team to try to simulate the upcoming opponent's offense during the week before the game, but in the spring and preseason camp, does the fact that Tech runs this offense handicap the defense in any way?
Old 09-18-2018, 09:58 AM   #226
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Clemson fans seem to be worried about this for some reason, but GT winning this weekend would be among the more surprising results in the last 10 years to me. There is nothing about this team that gives me confidence that they can even keep it close. At this point I just hope they don't quit.

Clemson's offense has sputtered all year so far and struggled to find heir rhythm. Their young DBs have struggled with discipline and GT is not the opponent to struggle with discipline against. The desire is to keep the starting 4DL on the sidelines as much as possible to protect their ankles and knees. That presents opportunities.

Quote:

Stupid question that I'll ask those of you that really know how football teams work - how much does GT's offense affect its defense in terms of practice and preparation? I assume they use some sort of scout team to try to simulate the upcoming opponent's offense during the week before the game, but in the spring and preseason camp, does the fact that Tech runs this offense handicap the defense in any way?

No.
I've actually been to a Tech practice. This summer in fact. (Coach Sewak was recruiting my son a little and he had us at practice, but my boy's a farm kid and Atlanta scared him senseless.)

Good against good almost never happens. They will do a few session in summer camp, but usually in an Oklahoma drill or pass skelly.

In season its always, 1st team D against 3rd(ish) team O and that O tries to simulate the opponents offense and vice versa.

Interstingly enough, after Coach Steele was abused so regularly by CPJ's option attack. For the last 6 years Swinney has made sure to have at least HS option QB to play DB (or WR) for Clemson. During tech weeks this player runs the Scout O to attempt give the D a realistic full speed look. Also DC Brent Venables will suit up and play QB. He jokingly calls himself Jimmy Greenbeans and encourages his D to tackle him

Where you could make an argument that it does hurt, and Id say this is a stretch, but if you are trying to simulate an air raid or Syracuse spread approach and you dont have a great QB or WR group, and you've recruited option players maybe they cant give as good of a look?

Ill say it again, the offense is about 10 or 11 spots down the list of whats holding GT back. $$$ and the willingness to spend it is whats hurting them.

Georgia State has nicer player facilities than GT. Mercer's are on par and maybe better. Valdosta State locker room is unquestionably better, Id give GT the slight edge in weight room, but only slight. Those things are what hurts Tech.

Last edited by CU Tiger : 09-18-2018 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:46 AM   #227
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If there's one thing I know about JiMGa, it's his calm, reasonable approach and cool, logical demeanor in most situations. Certainly not overly emotional about things like politics and sports.

I don't think Morris was a good hire for that situation, sue me.

Thanks to FSU there may actually be an even worse hire this year but that doesn't make it a good one either.

I taught my kid from an early age "when you reach bottom, stop digging". Quit making bad things worse. That's roughly the logic that I think may apply here as well.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:54 AM   #228
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I don't think Morris was a good hire for that situation, sue me.

Thanks to FSU there may actually be an even worse hire this year but that doesn't make it a good one either.

I taught my kid from an early age "when you reach bottom, stop digging". Quit making bad things worse. That's roughly the logic that I think may apply here as well.

I value your opinion on college football.
So I am curious why you say that?
From my perspective to win at Arky you have to

1) Recruit Texas well. The state doesnt produce enough talent on its own to field an SEC competitor based largely on in states.
2) Be offensive minded first. You arent going to beat Bama and LSU at their own game. They are too close and too strong of brands. Thats one reason I thought BB was destined to fail. He wante pro style players and he had to beat Bama and LSU consistently for recruits or beat them with their castoffs and 2nd choices. Neither seems a likely win scenario. Petrino had success as an offensive first and sold something different
3) Appease the big money boosters.

From my perspective Morris seems like an ideal fit to do all 3.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:58 PM   #229
bob
College Starter

Thanks for the info CU. I hear this come up all the time but since I never played football and don’t know how day to day operations really work, I wasn’t sure how valid the complaint was.

Overall I think fans are just sick of Johnson’s attitude and odd in game decision making (as well as the ongoing special teams issues). And a lot just don’t like to watch the option.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:49 PM   #230
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
I value your opinion on college football.
So I am curious why you say that?
From my perspective to win at Arky you have to

1) Recruit Texas well. The state doesnt produce enough talent on its own to field an SEC competitor based largely on in states.
2) Be offensive minded first. You arent going to beat Bama and LSU at their own game. They are too close and too strong of brands. Thats one reason I thought BB was destined to fail. He wante pro style players and he had to beat Bama and LSU consistently for recruits or beat them with their castoffs and 2nd choices. Neither seems a likely win scenario. Petrino had success as an offensive first and sold something different
3) Appease the big money boosters.

From my perspective Morris seems like an ideal fit to do all 3.

I like Chad Morris as a coach. I'm just not sure he's going to succeed at Arkansas. He took over a roster not built for what he wants to do and it's more or less impossible right now to have better than the 4th most talented roster in the division based on raw talent.

I do think he can recruit Texas, but recruiting Texas well if you're not a Texas school or Oklahoma isn't very easy. He's going to get a couple of cycles to sell hope and then if he isn't winning by year 3 they're going he'll be tuned out.

As I said, I do like Morris as a coach, but if I had to put money on Morris winning a SEC title or being fired in 5 years my money is on being fired.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:27 AM   #231
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I like Chad Morris as a coach. I'm just not sure he's going to succeed at Arkansas. He took over a roster not built for what he wants to do and it's more or less impossible right now to have better than the 4th most talented roster in the division based on raw talent.

I do think he can recruit Texas, but recruiting Texas well if you're not a Texas school or Oklahoma isn't very easy. He's going to get a couple of cycles to sell hope and then if he isn't winning by year 3 they're going he'll be tuned out.

As I said, I do like Morris as a coach, but if I had to put money on Morris winning a SEC title or being fired in 5 years my money is on being fired.

I appreciate that. And Im jaded. I got to know Chad and Paula well when they were in Clemson. I know that clouds my judgment.

Here is the trump card regarding recruiting Texas. There are currently 27(ish) TX HS Head Football Coaches that worked for Chad at one point in his tenure coaching TX HS Football. He is still front and center with his message that "I am a TX HS Football coach"

He also is very confident he will get 5 years. Specifically during negotiations discussed it. He told folks around him Arkansas was much farther away personnel wise from winning big than "they" thought. But was OK with that because they were committed to winning and committed to spending.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:35 AM   #232
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
That was the thing that Arky found out when they left the SWC and Mizzou is now finding out after leaving the Big 12, is that their Texas pipeline is severely affected. You lose the pitch that you can give to recruits that you can show the Texas schools 5 or 6 times a year that they made a mistake they passed over you. There is also a big draw in being able to play in front of family and friends multiple times per year that goes away as a recruiting tool.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 12:19 AM   #233
BishopMVP
Coordinator

He's a good quarterback, but I see it all the time in lacrosse, hockey, and even basketball it's happening more frequently now, so can we please stop leading every JT Daniels promo by saying he skipped his SR year of high school as if it's something amazing, when he was still 18.5 years old when he enrolled at USC & clearly just re-classed down in 8th grade or whatever?
Old 09-22-2018, 07:49 AM   #234
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

MIZ
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:27 AM   #235
tarcone
Coordinator

Big day in the B1G West. Iowa hosts bucky for the title. Night game at Kinnick. Always a very tough place to win, but even more so at night.

I am really excited about this one.

Go Hawks!

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:34 AM   #236
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa City named best college town in America.

https://saturdaytradition.com/big-te...wn-in-america/

Old 09-22-2018, 09:13 AM   #237
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
That was the thing that Arky found out when they left the SWC and Mizzou is now finding out after leaving the Big 12, is that their Texas pipeline is severely affected. You lose the pitch that you can give to recruits that you can show the Texas schools 5 or 6 times a year that they made a mistake they passed over you. There is also a big draw in being able to play in front of family and friends multiple times per year that goes away as a recruiting tool.

6 of one and a half dozen of the other. It's not like we were pulling 5 stars out of Texas either we were getting the scraps and developing players like Chase Daniel etc. We are now doing the same with players from Florida, Georgia, Tennessee etc... Plus I think at least half of our freshman class (Knox, Bakare, etc) is still from Texas. You still have A&M plus just the bigger stage of playing in the SEC.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 09:21 AM   #238
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
MIZ

ZOU. Feels like a no lose situation. Everyone expects us to lose (which after Purdue is not an unreasonable expectation). Win and we are on a roll, lose and so what you lost to Georgia.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 09:50 AM   #239
MrBug708
Head Coach

USC has an impressive collection of WR's. Amon-Ra is probably going to be NFL ready next year.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 11:46 AM   #240
tarcone
Coordinator

Old 09-22-2018, 12:58 PM   #241
Atocep
Coordinator

I don't think anyone told Buffalo that Rutgersal put them on upset alert.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 01:42 PM   #242
bob
College Starter

I’ll believe it when I see him in action against Stanford next weekend, but maybe ND finally found a quarterback.
Old 09-22-2018, 01:44 PM   #243
bob
College Starter

Also, Frost era in Nebraska not starting well.
Old 09-22-2018, 02:04 PM   #244
bronconick
College Starter

Old 09-22-2018, 02:26 PM   #245
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I’ll believe it when I see him in action against Stanford next weekend, but maybe ND finally found a quarterback.
Considering how good he looked vs LSU in the bowl game, and Kelly's history of switching QB's I'm amazed he wasn't at least rotating them earlier. Obviously Jafar Armstrong is stepping up, but Wimbush might be the best RB on ND's roster too... I'd love to see some old school single/double wing stuff with both QB's involved in a read option.

Other notes: I don't think a 41-34 win over Wake should be enough to promote a team into the top 25, and BC proved that today! And the announcers can slobber over Drew Lock's potential all they want, all I'm seeing is another loss to a top 25 team with 50% completions, 5 YPA, and as many picks as TD's. I'm sure he'll get picked highly in a weak QB class, but he's this year's Josh Allen imo.
Old 09-22-2018, 02:29 PM   #246
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Wendy's goes full savage I see lol

Meanwhile, how bad is Ole Miss football? My child opted to stay home & study instead of going to a barely half-full stadium. No joy in watching them struggle against mighty Kent State.
Old 09-22-2018, 02:31 PM   #247
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm sure he'll get picked highly in a weak QB class, but he's this year's Josh Allen imo.

While it may be largely by default, Allen is an NFL starter at the moment I guess.
So there could be worse QBs.

If Mizzou had any defense at all, they'd likely be taking UGAg right to the wire today.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-22-2018 at 02:31 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 03:22 PM   #248
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
While it may be largely by default, Allen is an NFL starter at the moment I guess.
So there could be worse QBs.

If Mizzou had any defense at all, they'd likely be taking UGAg right to the wire today.
Nah, there's 31 NFL starters right now. "Better than Nathan Peterman" shouldn't be the bar for anything.

I do agree he's a solid college QB, probably in the top 15-20. He's just not the best one on that field (possibly even the 3rd best pro prospect if we're looking long term), and I hate when broadcasts come in with an agenda to promote one guy regardless of what's actually happening in the games. (So yeah, it's my fault for listening with the sound on that TV )
Old 09-22-2018, 03:38 PM   #249
tarcone
Coordinator

Rutgers. I guess you have to take them to get NYC.

Old 09-22-2018, 04:16 PM   #250
bronconick
College Starter

Alabama is going to break the PPG record this season.