Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-01-2012, 12:59 PM   #1
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Piracy Question

Okay, my girl and I really want to see MI4 before it leaves theaters, and it seems to be at or nearing the end of its run. My GF's life is a little crazy right now, so I don't think we're going to be able to find time to see it in the theaters. But we have been holding off, trying to find the time to go see it.

Since that is not happening, I have devised a plan to find a pirated copy, burn it onto a DVD, take it over to her place and watch it with her...after going to a local theater and purchasing two full price tickets to the movie (but just pocketing the tickets, not going in).

Putting aside legal issues, from an ethical standpoint, in your esteemed opinions, am I covered?

P.S. If I am covered, if anyone happens to know some sites I can go to for this, that would help me a lot. I have never "pirated" a movie before and am normally very much against it. PM me if you don't want anyone knowing you know of these sites.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:01 PM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Putting aside legal issues, yes...from an ethical standpoint you would be covered IMO.

Why not just wait the couple months (if that) till it's out on demand for cheaper though? Do you really have to see it now? it's not exactly critically acclaimed.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 02-01-2012 at 01:01 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:04 PM   #3
JediKooter
Coordinator

Perhaps if we knew some of the back story here, we'd be able to offer the best advice. Oh and pictures would help too. Otherwise, I would never suggest anyone check out piratebay to see if a movie or tv show they want to watch, is on that site.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:04 PM   #4
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
it's not exactly critically acclaimed.

Second best movie wide in theaters according to metacritic.

CR, I've applied the categorical imperative and think you'd be ok. But I would imagine the copy you'd find to download would be a cam, and even though those have gotten better since the time of "Death Blow" I'm not sure it would be ideal.

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs2 : 02-01-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Ronnie Dobbs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:08 PM   #5
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'd imagine that it will be in the dollar type theaters for at least another month.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:12 PM   #6
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I would normally wait, but this is more of a "doing something for my GF" sorta thing. She really wanted to see this movie as soon as she could, as we planned a whole nice evening around it. We both were looking forward to both the movie and a time to go out together, since we almost never get to these days.

Unfortunately, things have fallen through for the night in question (Thursday night), and we're both so busy (particularly her) that it seems like we won't ever have a chance to see it before two months from now.

So, really, it's less about the movie and more about doing something for my GF.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:22 PM   #7
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I'd imagine that it will be in the dollar type theaters for at least another month.

Yes, that is an option, too. The key will be finding a night off again where we can go.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:39 PM   #8
Autumn
Head Coach

You should go and bootleg it in the movie theater and then bring the recording home and show it to her on the TV. Or for extra style points, on your video watch.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:04 PM   #9
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Putting aside legal issues, yes...from an ethical standpoint you would be covered IMO.

Why not just wait the couple months (if that) till it's out on demand for cheaper though? Do you really have to see it now? it's not exactly critically acclaimed.

What is your definition of critically acclaimed? According to Rotten Tomatoes, it has 93% approval rating from critics. 178 Fresh, 13 Rotten.

My issue on the main question is not ethical, but quality. You really want to see this film in a theater.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:14 PM   #10
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Our local IMAX has this running for like the next couple of weeks at least. Check around.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:18 PM   #11
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Ethically, I'd say what you propose is about as close to squared away as you can get it to be. You get (ethical) credit for making the effort to square it at least.

In an extremely philosophical discussion, if you're the kind of guy who would normally have spent the $20-$25 bucks on refreshments in the theater then you might be a little grayer area but that feels like intentional nitpicking on my part.

(This all assumes that we set aside any ethical questions involved with the broader concept like rule-of-law & it's role in society or something like that)
Old 02-01-2012, 02:31 PM   #12
rowech
Pro Starter

We were debating something at lunch today and this fits this thread some...

Legally...if one streams something that is put up illegally, whether it be a movie, a game, a tv show, or music -- is it illegal for that person, the website, or both?

If one watches a blacked out NFL game from a website, is it illegal for the person viewing or only for the person supplying?

Does it become illegal only for the person if they download a copy of it?

Lot of gray area it seemed to a lot of us and quite frankly, none of us are sure.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:33 PM   #13
DanGarion
Coordinator

If you download it via bit torrent you are not only downloading the copy you get but also sharing the copy you are downloading, so in that sense I would say "ethically" you aren't covered.

Good luck finding it outside of bit torrent...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:41 PM   #14
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
If you download it via bit torrent you are not only downloading the copy you get but also sharing the copy you are downloading, so in that sense I would say "ethically" you aren't covered.

However if you find one of those people that is downloading it and format their hard drive, you'll be even.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:49 PM   #15
DanGarion
Coordinator

And just after doing some research it sounds like the cam rip that is out there isn't even of decent quality.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:02 PM   #16
chinaski
College Prospect

Youre not going to find an even remotely good version of the movie, you're throwing away 25 bucks imo.

You don't have 2nd run movie theaters where you live? I'd just wait till it hits the cheap theaters and kick back with a nice slice of pizza and beer

Last edited by chinaski : 02-01-2012 at 03:03 PM.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:27 PM   #17
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Honestly, I think you'd be fine just buying it On Demand when it comes out through whatever service. You aren't getting the theater experience from it at all.

Closest I've come is grabbing a torrent of a couple Breaking Bad episodes last year since I fell behind on the show. But I just went into Zune on the 360 and purchased them so I didn't feel shitty about it. In the end I don't think you have to be too crazy about it, just find a way to send some money toward the content at some point.

Last edited by RainMaker : 02-02-2012 at 01:28 PM.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:55 PM   #18
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I don't understand the rush to "see it before it is out of the theater" if you're not going to see it in the theater. Kind of ruins the whole theater tie-in is as you won't be seeing it on the big screen.

While you're buying a ticket and supporting the film, you're also supporting the piracy industry so I wouldn't say you were covered from that standpoint.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:25 PM   #19
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

We decided to make the effort to still try to see it in the theater if we can. We're aiming for Sunday now. So this ends up being a moot point. But I am glad to get the feedback, and I appreciate it for future reference, should the need arise.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:45 PM   #20
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
But I would imagine the copy you'd find to download would be a cam, and even though those have gotten better since the time of "Death Blow" I'm not sure it would be ideal.

It's a perfectly legitimate business.
It's not legitimate.
It's a business.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:15 PM   #21
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

You're still in a grey area IMO.

Yes, you paid the money that the studio & movie theater would get if you actually watched the movie in the theater.

However, by consuming the pirated copy, you also contribute to the "demand" out there for pirated entertainment.

I think point A is more important than point B, but you're not entirely in the clear ethically IMO.

The most ethical thing to do would be to either see the movie in the theater, or wait for it to come out officially and legally on DVD/Blu-Ray.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:18 PM   #22
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

And by the way, I certainly get the thought on your part. I'm no saint - I've watched bit-torrented captures of TV shows that friends have shared with me. And I think it's great you'd go so far as to actually pay for the movie tickets even if you don't watch the movie then.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:21 PM   #23
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I still don't really get how he's "supporting the piracy industry" or "contributing to the demand." He would be listed as a downloader, which if anything would help the RIAA in their fight against piracy. As far as I know most sites don't have ads on them, though I could be mistaken.

The peer-to-peer aspect, though, he'd have trouble with as he would be helping others if that's what you all mean.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:33 PM   #24
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Cams aren't good for anything unless you just got back from the theatre and want to jerk it to a scene that sparked your manhood. Seriously, they are shit and I will never understand the demand for them.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:39 PM   #25
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, Matey! From an ethical standpoint, just who be carin'?
No one.

Aside from the MCAA. Those landlovers will nail yer hide to the wall and you'd be walkin' the plank no matter how innocent you think ye be.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote