Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-09-2018, 02:28 PM   #901
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
What in the [big] blue blazes transpired in Washington? I go to the store partway into the second and it's 7-0. It is 34-0 at the half??!

It's so bad Josh Johnson is in now at QB, and scores. He's clearly the answer.
Old 12-09-2018, 03:09 PM   #902
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

WOW! What an ending to the NE-Miami game!
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 03:16 PM   #903
Butter
Coordinator

The one time Belichick doesn't go for the jugular. Settles for a FG and lose by 1 on the miracle TD
Old 12-09-2018, 03:24 PM   #904
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post

I swear every team should be looking for a drug to give NE before every game that makes them think they are in Miami, because crazy stuff just happens to them there nearly every time. No way Miami should have won that game.
Old 12-09-2018, 03:24 PM   #905
Logan
Head Coach

Putting Gronk out there like a hail mary was actually an option from that distance might have been worse than the Butler SB benching.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 03:35 PM   #906
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Putting Gronk out there like a hail mary was actually an option from that distance might have been worse than the Butler SB benching.

Yeah, just caught it. Gronk ended up being the last guy with a shot and showed he had no business on defense.

No idea why he would be on the field in that situation.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 03:35 PM   #907
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I was following the end of the game on my phone and didn't understand why they were playing for 3 there. Try to score the TD.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 03:57 PM   #908
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Good Lord, this DET/ARI game is horrible. Surprise?
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 04:00 PM   #909
Ksyrup

Funny that Gronk was the last line of defense on a 69 yard TD.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 12-09-2018, 04:19 PM   #910
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

You had one job today New England.
Old 12-09-2018, 04:21 PM   #911
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post

Cards never lose to Detroit,,,sound familiar Green Bay?
Old 12-09-2018, 04:23 PM   #912
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

My reaction to that last Dolphins-Pats play.

Anchorman- I'm not even mad, that's amazing - YouTube
Old 12-09-2018, 04:34 PM   #913
Ksyrup

Longest play from scrimmage to win a game with no time left since the merger in 1970.
Old 12-09-2018, 04:38 PM   #914
Ksyrup

Please just fire Vance Joseph. What an embarrassment. I knew winning the last 3 weeks was only going to result in a worse draft pick than Denver should get.
Old 12-09-2018, 05:06 PM   #915
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post

The official title of this Detroit-Arizona game is “Lions-Cardinals: An Exercise in Coaching Hire Regret.”
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 05:49 PM   #916
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Yeah, just caught it. Gronk ended up being the last guy with a shot and showed he had no business on defense.

No idea why he would be on the field in that situation.
Patriots always have 1 offensive player (usually Gronk, when he was hurt it was Josh Gordon) who's the designated jumper to knock down hail mary's, with all the defensive players coached to stay on the ground... But like Logan said a hail mary probably wasn't a realistic option there with Tannehill at QB. As much as you can blame him/the coaches on it, the multiple DB's who missed tackles also deserve blame :/

Oh well. Pretty brutal 5 minute stretch there from "hey, we might be in the driver's seat for the 1 seed & home field!" to basically zero chance, but it's still just a regular season game. Just going to have to win in Arrowhead unless the Chiefs lose the divisional game, but they certainly look less scary without Kareem Hunt (and they still have Andy Reid coaching them.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Funny that Gronk was the last line of defense on a 69 yard TD.
Shit, maybe he intentionally stumbled
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 06:17 PM   #917
Ksyrup

That was an absolutely brutal PI call on the Eagles, followed by an absolutely brutal PF call on Dallas. Glad the refs are making themselves known!
Old 12-09-2018, 06:19 PM   #918
Jas_lov
College Starter

The refs just have no clue what they're doing and nobody knows what the rules are. Joe Philbin challenged two "catches" in the first two minutes of the Packers-Falcons game and lost both. Neither one was a catch.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 06:23 PM   #919
JPhillips
General Manager

Let's just play fourth quarters from now on.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:29 PM   #920
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That was an absolutely brutal PI call on the Eagles, followed by an absolutely brutal PF call on Dallas. Glad the refs are making themselves known!

Both were horrible calls.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 06:31 PM   #921
bhlloy
Coordinator

Flags, flags and more flags. The NFL has taken what would have been a really good game in Dallas and turned it into an absolute fucking farce.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 06:37 PM   #922
Ksyrup

Mike Pereira sounds embarrassed every time they throw it to him for his take on another bad call.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:44 PM   #923
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
The official title of this Detroit-Arizona game is “Lions-Cardinals: An Exercise in Coaching Hire Regret.”

LOL
Old 12-09-2018, 10:48 PM   #924
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Please just fire Vance Joseph. What an embarrassment. I knew winning the last 3 weeks was only going to result in a worse draft pick than Denver should get.

+1 .... I know it won't happen but they need to dump Elway as well as Musgrave, Woods and Joseph at the end of the season in that order! The locals here wanting to blame Keenum and he is not the problem.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 12:38 AM   #925
RainMaker
General Manager

Thank you Raiders for Khalil Mack.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 01:20 AM   #926
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
The refs just have no clue what they're doing and nobody knows what the rules are. Joe Philbin challenged two "catches" in the first two minutes of the Packers-Falcons game and lost both. Neither one was a catch.
The refs can be dumb, and were pretty terrible in the 4th quarter of Philly/Dallas, plus Green Bay won going away, but Joe Philbin challenging and losing both challenges in the first 1:23 shouldn't be ignored. Can't blame the refs for his idiocy.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 07:37 AM   #927
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post

Wow indeed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-zP1_HvhzM

Last edited by Kodos : 12-10-2018 at 07:39 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:05 AM   #928
Logan
Head Coach

Back to the NE-MIA ending...forget about NE playing too conservatively on that last drive for a minute, but I'm wondering about the strategy to kick the FG there. Obviously doing so to put you up 5 is good in that now you're requiring more than a FG to beat you, but how much worth does that really have if the likelihood of your opponent even getting a FG try is pretty low?

4th and goal from the 4 with Brady and Gronk has to have a fairly good probability of a TD which wins you the game. If you fail, let's assume the same amount of time comes off the clock as the chip shot FG. You're then leaving Miami at its own 4 yard line (or maybe a bit worse) needing to get all the way to your own 40 or so yard line, in less than 16 seconds, with no timeouts, while also getting the 55+ yard FG off. And it's a rookie kicker with a career long of 50.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:19 AM   #929
Ksyrup

1st and goal from the 7. Obviously you're taking a risk putting the ball in the air, but they could have run a couple of WR screen passes or dump offs to the RBs that could have scored and still run clock.

I would have tried to score before 4th down and then given serious consideration to throwing for it on 4th. If Brady gets enough protection and sits in there, the chances that someone in the Dolphins secondary gets flagged for holding are probably pretty high. Has anyone not watched the NFL this year? Bail-out defensive penalties seem like 10-20% of all 3rd down conversions.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:43 AM   #930
Logan
Head Coach

Good points. I think now that we're seeing teams go for it on 4th down more, the next change will be teams going for it on longer distances and using the passing game more. Would 4th and 6 from the 50 really be significantly harder for the Saints offense to pick up than 4th and 3? I don't know the numbers, and sample size would probably be an issue in getting a good sense of the likelihood of conversion, but my guess is the difference in the true odds of success across those scenarios are nowhere near the difference in how frequently offenses would try it.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:52 AM   #931
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

Not enough sad New England shots
Old 12-10-2018, 08:58 AM   #932
Ksyrup

I just think with all of the rules favoring offense, the equation on 4th downs (and end of game strategy in general) needs to be re-thought. Pittsburgh should have tied Oakland in a similar situation yesterday, too. All you need is a DPI (a rule I'd like to see changed to the college rule) or a couple of defensive holding calls to keep a game going and get you into FG or end zone shot range.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:05 AM   #933
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Thank you Raiders for Khalil Mack.

And for Amari Cooper.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 10:22 AM   #934
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm not saying justin Tucker could punt great, but I'm sure he could maybe be like the 20-50th best punter in the league. Eventually some coach will just decide that wasting 1 spot on a guy who should have very limited usage isn't worth it and teams will all laugh 15 years later when nobody has a punter.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:01 AM   #935
Ksyrup

If kickers practiced at it, some of them surely could be effective enough to make that cost/benefit analysis worth doing.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:34 AM   #936
Ksyrup

Listening to Kenyon Drake on LeBatard.

"Can you pinpoint the moment you knew you were going to score?"

"Yeah, literally when I saw him (Gronk)."

HA!
Old 12-10-2018, 11:47 AM   #937
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I'm not saying justin Tucker could punt great, but I'm sure he could maybe be like the 20-50th best punter in the league. Eventually some coach will just decide that wasting 1 spot on a guy who should have very limited usage isn't worth it and teams will all laugh 15 years later when nobody has a punter.

Yes, CFL teams have been doing this for decades. The idea makes a lot of sense.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:56 AM   #938
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Patriots always have 1 offensive player (usually Gronk, when he was hurt it was Josh Gordon) who's the designated jumper to knock down hail mary's, with all the defensive players coached to stay on the ground... But like Logan said a hail mary probably wasn't a realistic option there with Tannehill at QB. As much as you can blame him/the coaches on it, the multiple DB's who missed tackles also deserve blame :/

Oh well. Pretty brutal 5 minute stretch there from "hey, we might be in the driver's seat for the 1 seed & home field!" to basically zero chance, but it's still just a regular season game. Just going to have to win in Arrowhead unless the Chiefs lose the divisional game, but they certainly look less scary without Kareem Hunt (and they still have Andy Reid coaching them.)

Shit, maybe he intentionally stumbled

Such a fascinating play, can't wait to watch the All-22. (Like you, I was more morbidly fascinated than upset by the loss).

Seems like everything started with the delayed first lateral, where the first Dolphin took a few steps forward before throwing it back. That seemed to paralyze the Patriots' defenders just long enough to where they weren't going to be in position and couldn't catch back up with the Dolphins setting things up downfield. The Dolphins never stopped moving and too many Patriots stopped and had to restart.

Belichick claimed that Gronk wasn't in there for a hail marry, but if they did the play where the ball goes 30-40 yards downfield first before the laterals start. I don't understand why an actual defensive player wouldn't be a better fit on a play like that, but, what do I know. Gronk would only be (marginally) useful if he happened to be right at where the first pass came down - which seems really unlikely when the Dolphins had the whole field to work with. And if the Dolphins used ANY of the rest of the field, Gronk would be a huge liability (which obviously was the case).

Last edited by molson : 12-10-2018 at 12:00 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 12:21 PM   #939
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I also think that Gronk of five years ago makes that play. He's not the physical freak he once was.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 12:22 PM   #940
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola: Just thinking about it, what you really want in that situation is probably your best special teams guys. Guys who are used to pursuing and tackling in the open field.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:43 PM   #941
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Such a fascinating play, can't wait to watch the All-22. (Like you, I was more morbidly fascinated than upset by the loss).

Seems like everything started with the delayed first lateral, where the first Dolphin took a few steps forward before throwing it back. That seemed to paralyze the Patriots' defenders just long enough to where they weren't going to be in position and couldn't catch back up with the Dolphins setting things up downfield. The Dolphins never stopped moving and too many Patriots stopped and had to restart.

There seemed to be a point when Drake had the ball where you can see at least a few of the defenders move a bit forward in trying to anticipate/guard against the next lateral and all that did was leave the enormous seam for him to run through.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:12 PM   #942
Ksyrup

Yeah, Stephon Gilmore stays back guarding against a pitch, it looks like. Once he moved back, that opened the lane. The OL who ran 60 yards down field and got the trap block was probably the biggest key to the whole thing.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:13 PM   #943
AlexB
Pro Starter

You sense the Pats announcers are desperately trying to speak without swearing for the majority of this!

Patriots Radio Announcers React to Stunning Loss vs. Dolphins | NFL Highlights - YouTube
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 02:13 PM   #944
AlexB
Pro Starter

Dola

Sports!
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 02:13 PM   #945
Ksyrup

I haven't read (or even heard from or about) Bill Simmons in years, but apparently he crapped all over himself yesterday trying to make that play all about the first time it was ever successful, etc., and he rightly got called out for not knowing anything about sports outside of Boston (or the NBA, I guess).
Old 12-10-2018, 02:38 PM   #946
molson
General Manager

Simmons is one of those entertainment entities who had a big following who just love to bash him. He's always been more entertainment and casual sports observation than detailed sports analysis, but, it's a formula that works and has made him really popular. His weekly guess the lines podcast with Jimmy Kimmell's cousin is the only sports podcast I regularly listen to. But ya, Simmons "fans" meltdown on him after every podcast, nothing new there.

Edit: And I did read somewhere that this was the first NFL game-ending multiple lateral TD play since 2003 or something (The Steelers had one called back in 2013). The 2003 one was when the Saints kicker missed the extra point afterwards, so you actually have to go back sometime before that to find one that WON a game. The Music City Miracle doesn't technically count because it was only one lateral....And browsing a reddit thread about this, I'm not sure there's EVER actually been a NFL game-ending, game-winning, multiple lateral play, or not one that people have come up with yet.

Last edited by molson : 12-10-2018 at 02:47 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 02:45 PM   #947
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Yeah, I think Simmons meant game ending play. That's why he referenced Friday Night Lights, since Coach Taylor's teams won on the last play of the game so many times. The Miami-San Diego 1981 play was at the end of the half and the Boise play just sent it to overtime.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 02:49 PM   #948
Ksyrup

Miami/Duke was just a couple of years ago, too.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:58 PM   #949
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Bill mentioned hook and ladder in his tweet. Miami-Duke, Cal-Stanford, Music City, etc. were not hook and ladders.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 04:49 PM   #950
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Simmons is smart/savvy enough to play the Boston-homer troll card just enough. It keeps a certain segment of fans engaged with him through argument.