Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-10-2018, 07:37 PM   #951
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

So sick of talking about how bad the refs are. Call Wagner for grasping the helmet opening (?) then completely miss (or ignore) a clear facemask. It's like they are trying to suck.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-10-2018 at 07:37 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:31 PM   #952
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I am not feeling this game. Zzzzzzzz
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:14 PM   #953
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Janikowski: "You're on Mic'ed up?! You are?! Next time tell me first!"

I would LOVE to hear the conversation that preceeded that.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:00 PM   #954
bhlloy
Coordinator

Firstly, that was a hell of a missed call to put the flag away on that FG block. By the rules that was a no-brainer that changes the entire complexion of the game. It’s ironic that the previous holder of the shittiest crew chief in the league title belt is now commntating on the current one.

Secondly, I’d have given Bridgewater a shot and retained Keenum as a backup option a million times over paying Cousins all that money last summer. You think the Vikings want a do-over now? I understand you have to pay for average QB play but that doesn’t mean you pay a top 20 guy like Tom Brady.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 10:04 PM   #955
thesloppy
Pro Starter

They all spent the last 5 minutes trying to pretend they know how to play football now, like I wasn't watching the rest of this game.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:04 PM   #956
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

And if you're going to bring in a quarterback with limited mobility like Cousins, please try to fix the offensive line that you know is an issue. So god damn pissed as a Vikings fan right now.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:08 PM   #957
thesloppy
Pro Starter

This game is cold garbage that wishes it could be even slightly warm.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:16 PM   #958
Thomkal
Head Coach

Vikings fire their offensive coordinator
Old 12-11-2018, 02:17 PM   #959
Arles
Grey Dog Software

4th OC fired by Zimmer since he took over in 2014. I think he wants the ghost of Red Grange to just run the ball 50 times, punt and win games 6-3.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:30 PM   #960
MIJB#19
Coordinator

playoffs scenarios for week 15

New England
MIA loss + NE win/tie -> NE division title
MIA tie + NE win -> NE division title
MIA has tie-breakers over NE

Houston
HOU win + IND loss/tie + TEN loss/tie -> HOU division title
HOU tie + IND loss + TEN loss -> HOU division title
IND and TEN have tie-breakers over HOU

Kansas City
KC playoffs
KC win -> KC division title and bye (+ NE loss/tie -> #1 seed)
KC has tie-breakers over LAC
KC vs HOU undecided, but will be secured by KC with win/tie vs LAC (week 15) or OAK (week 17)
NE has tie-breakers over KC

LA Chargers
LAC win/tie -> LAC playoffs
LAC loss + HOU win + IND loss/tie + TEN loss/tie + MIA loss/tie + BAL loss/tie -> LAC playoffs
LAC loss + HOU win + IND loss/tie + TEN loss/tie + MIA loss/tie + BAL win + PIT loss/tie -> LAC playoffs
LAC loss + HOU tie + IND loss + TEN loss + MIA loss/tie + BAL loss/tie -> LAC playoffs
LAC loss + HOU tie + IND loss + TEN loss + MIA loss/tie + BAL win + PIT loss/tie -> LAC playoffs
LAC has tie-breakers over PIT, IND and TEN
LAC undecided tie-breakers vs NE, BAL and HOU
MIA will have tie-breakers over LAC

Dallas
DAL win -> DAL division title
DAL tie + WAS loss/tie + PHI loss/tie -> DAL division title
DAL loss + WAS loss + PHI loss -> DAL division title
DAL has tie-breakers over PHI, WAS and NYG

Chicago
CHI win -> CHI division title
CHI tie + MIN loss/tie -> CHI division title
CHI loss + MIN loss -> CHI division title
MIN has tie-breakers over CHI

New Orleans
NO division title
CHI loss + NO win/tie -> NO bye week
CHI tie + NO win -> NO bye week
CHI will have tie-breakers over NO

LA Rams
LAR division title
CHI loss + LAR win/tie -> LAR bye week
CHI tie + LAR win -> LAR bye week
CHI will have tie-breakers over LAR

Seattle
SEA win -> playoffs (+ MIN loss/tie -> #5 seed)
SEA tie + 3 of 4 from PHI loss/tie, WAS loss/tie, MIN loss, CAR loss/tie -> playoffs (all 4 -> #5 seed)
SEA loss + PHI loss, WAS loss, GB loss/tie, CAR loss -> playoffs (all 4 -> #5 seed)
SEA has tie-breakers over NYG, PHI, WAS, MIN, GB, DET, CAR and TB
this is the short version that does not take into account the order of games played (first WAS, GB and MIN, then SEA, then PHI, then CAR), long version with games played taken into account is below:
Spoiler

FYI, in several tie-breaker situations mentioned above as "XXX has tie-beakers over YYY", the team currently ahead in the division race may seem to have the better tie-breakers for now, but in all possible scenarios that make those teams end up tied the other team would come back from behind.
Also note that these scenarios are specific for week 15 games.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 05:42 PM   #961
molson
General Manager

Also, the Browns make the playoffs if they win out (v. Broncos, Bengals, Redskins), the Steelers lose out (v. Patriots, Saints, Bengals), and if the Ravens lose 1 other game in addition to losing to the Browns (v. either Buccaneers or Chargers).

Last edited by molson : 12-11-2018 at 05:43 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 06:10 PM   #962
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:50 AM   #963
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Also, the Browns make the playoffs if they win out (v. Broncos, Bengals, Redskins), the Steelers lose out (v. Patriots, Saints, Bengals), and if the Ravens lose 1 other game in addition to losing to the Browns (v. either Buccaneers or Chargers).
I think you meant Ravens where you wrote Redskins. Cleveland is also still in the wild card race if one from Baltimore and Pittsburgh does manage to stay ahead of Cleveland, but it's an even steeper hill than the division title route with Miami, Indianapolis and Tennessee all 1.5 wins ahead.

Heck, even Cincinnati is technically still alive for the AFC North division title (and for the wild card if Indianapolis and Tennessee tie in week 17):
Cincinnati W vs OAK, W vs CLE, W vs PIT
Pittsburgh L vs NE, L vs NO
Baltimore at most 1 W + 1T vs TB, LAC and CLE
Cleveland further results will be moot if CIN beats CLE
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 01:06 PM   #964
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

It's a really fun time to be a football fan when articles like this are becoming commonplace:

Freddie Kitchens: Why the Browns' offense is clicking while he builds a strong offensive-coordinator resume -- Film Room | cleveland.com

Even 5 years ago, this would have been buried in the deep dive section of Football Outsiders if it even existed at all.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 03:51 PM   #965
Thomkal
Head Coach

Carson Wentz has a back injury and will not play this week and maybe the rest of the season. Where have we heard this before?
Old 12-12-2018, 08:56 PM   #966
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Carson Wentz has a back injury and will not play this week and maybe the rest of the season. Where have we heard this before?

At the point he hurt his knee last year, he was a young QB who was either 1 or 2 in the MVP race leading a Super Bowl contender.

And he's still sort of that. But now he's also the guy who's had season ending injuries the last two seasons (assuming this one keeps him out) and was playing .500 ball this year.

He'll still be in line for a "highest ever paid QB" extension when his time comes, and he'll get it. But 12 months ago, that extension was a no-brainer for the Eagles. Now, it's at least a little bit of a brainer.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:15 PM   #967
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
At the point he hurt his knee last year, he was a young QB who was either 1 or 2 in the MVP race leading a Super Bowl contender.

And he's still sort of that. But now he's also the guy who's had season ending injuries the last two seasons (assuming this one keeps him out) and was playing .500 ball this year.

He'll still be in line for a "highest ever paid QB" extension when his time comes, and he'll get it. But 12 months ago, that extension was a no-brainer for the Eagles. Now, it's at least a little bit of a brainer.

Not sure I agree with highest ever paid QB extension. I think it depends on the severity of the back injury now. If this is what an injury prone Wentz is going to be like when he does get on the field, is he really worth all that money?
Old 12-12-2018, 10:27 PM   #968
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
4th OC fired by Zimmer since he took over in 2014. I think he wants the ghost of Red Grange to just run the ball 50 times, punt and win games 6-3.

John DeFlippo was calling a game like a person playing Madden football would be calling plays. The offense didnt have consistent flow nor was anything being set up for the latter part of the game. Adjustments werent being made for what the defense was doing and they werent finding ways to help out their ailing offensive line. Cousins is getting the blame but the way each game is being called it is on him to try to save the entire offense dealing with an extreme pass rush.

Reminded me of the Brad Childress days of offense.

The Vikings would be silly to let Zimmer go like these "internet" rumors are saying. Id take my chances with him and his stingy defense any day of the week.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 11:31 PM   #969
bhlloy
Coordinator

I’m certainly not a Vikings fan but whenever I’ve seen them it’s been more Cousins just not having a good pocket presence and getting the ball out on time or making bad decisions rather than some terrible line play and an overwhelming rush. That’s been his MO in Washington as well IIRC - definitely possible he’s played behind some awful lines but feels more like that is who he is as a QB right now.
Old 12-13-2018, 02:32 PM   #971
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Los Angeles Chargers on Twitter: "UPDATE: LaDainian Tomlinson, Dan Fouts and Lance Alworth are all OUT for tonight. #LACvsKC… "
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 02:48 PM   #972
Thomkal
Head Coach

LOL
Old 12-13-2018, 11:26 PM   #973
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Wow
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 07:18 PM   #974
Atocep
Coordinator

Watching the Jets I was curious as to how the fuck a team could have so little offensive talent. I actually feel bad watching Darnold. They weren't bad today, but they have damn near nothing to support him on the offensive side of the ball.

New York Jets All-Time Draft History | Pro-Football-Reference.com

That's the Jets draft history.

Holy shit looking at that is depressing.

The best receiver they've drafted since 2012 is Charone Peake. Unless I'm missing someone, the only offensive lineman they've drafted in the top 3 rounds since 2010 is Brian Winters. They drafted Christian Hackenberg in the 2nd round.

The most stunning thing about this is the Mike Maccagnan (GM) was given an extension last year.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 07:49 PM   #975
bhlloy
Coordinator

I don't know if it's worse that they are so devoid of talent on offense (other than Hackenburg there's not a terrible pick) or the fact that the defense isn't better given all the high picks they've made on that side of the ball.

I do feel for Darnold as well - he hasn't been good this season but with no receivers, RB or offensive line, was it really a good idea getting a gunslinger who will make a ton of high risk plays? Was there any plan in place going into this season? They either need to get a ton of offensive talent which is always massively risky trying to do through FA, or he's just going to get eaten up by the NY media after a year or two.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:00 PM   #976
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Shurg, I saw people saying the Jets had the best WR corps in the AFC East coming into the season. I didn't really agree with it, they're decent. RB's are an issue since Bilal Powell finally hit the cliff, and the OL hasn't had anyone great since... Nick Mangold? But when you pick 1 OL in the top 3 rounds in 8 years that isn't too surprising.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:27 AM   #977
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

And the Browns are still alive!
Old 12-16-2018, 03:08 PM   #978
Thomkal
Head Coach

My beloved Cardinals playing like they want to keep the #1 pick.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:38 PM   #979
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Why do the Patriots lose when I want them to win and win when I want them to lose?
Old 12-16-2018, 07:00 PM   #980
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

You should root for them more often.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 07:09 PM   #981
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Why do the Patriots lose when I want them to win and win when I want them to lose?

For extra special torture, try having them on your fantasy team. Its sheer joy each and every week trying to figure out what darth bill is gonna do with your starters!
Old 12-16-2018, 09:36 PM   #982
Atocep
Coordinator

Goff is terrible when pressured.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:44 PM   #983
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I would love to know what happened to this team. The defense has been shaky all year, but once Krupp was lost for the year the offense has fallen off a ton.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 09:52 PM   #984
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Rams aren’t winning a title with that QB and that secondary.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 09:58 PM   #985
bhlloy
Coordinator

A lot of teams with question marks over the last few weeks. I’d ask if it’s possible that the Chargers are the best team in the league with Bosa back, but we all know how hilariously that is going to end. For so it is written.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:47 PM   #986
PilotMan
Head Coach

Shocked that the Steelers finally got a win at home.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 09:53 AM   #987
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
I would love to know what happened to this team. The defense has been shaky all year, but once Krupp was lost for the year the offense has fallen off a ton.

I don't know if it's issues with the OL itself, how they're setting the protections, or how Goff is responding to it...but his mechanics seem to go to shit when he gets pressure, especially up the middle, and you can actually see the ball coming out differently. On that long pass down to Reynolds late (overturned to be down just short of the GL) it was clean up the middle and he stepped into the throw and you could tell right away that it was a beauty out of his hand.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 12:14 PM   #988
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I don't know if it's issues with the OL itself, how they're setting the protections, or how Goff is responding to it...but his mechanics seem to go to shit when he gets pressure, especially up the middle, and you can actually see the ball coming out differently. On that long pass down to Reynolds late (overturned to be down just short of the GL) it was clean up the middle and he stepped into the throw and you could tell right away that it was a beauty out of his hand.

I think there are several reasons:

1) He lost his OC and QB coach from last year. I don't think it has shown until now, because it didn't need to when things were good.

2) McVay has not adapted as quickly as he did earlier in the year. Early in the year, if a team was taking something away, he adapted quickly. That has not happened since the bye.

3) Goff has no confidence in Reynolds. Reynolds has made some plays, but he is not the security blanket that Kupp was. Earlier in the season, if Goff was blitzed, he immediately got the ball out to Kupp. Reynolds has made a number of bone headed plays since he has replaced Kupp and Goff is second guessing himself before making the throw. That interception he threw in the first half was not entirely on him. It was not a great throw, but Reynolds should have had that, instead he essentially knocks it up for the CB to make the play.

4) There is no help from the TEs. Higbee is not bad, but he is mostly used to block. When Everett goes in, you know it is going to be a passing play. The problem is, he is not good enough. He has the physical skills, but he makes you pull your hair out because he does not put it all together.

That incompletion to Everett in the 3rd that Collinsworth said was on Goff, I put more blame on Everett. Most receivers run that route to the sideline, if he does that, the ball is not behind him, and he walks in for a TD.

5) Teams have adapted to the Rams attack with Kupp out. Woods goes to the slot, he is fine there, but one safety helps out with Cooks, on plays the middle zone and cheats to help out on Woods, and that puts Reynolds in one and one coverage on the outside. He does not create any separation, and lacks the killer instinct to beat his man for the ball (which goes back to #2 above).

When Kupp was in, you couldn't double any two of the WRs, because the other guy would kill you. Kupp and Woods are incredible route runners and are always creating separation in 1 on 1 matchups. Cooks is not quite to their level in route running, but he can blow by you.

When Goff has time, he will pick you apart. When Goff is rushed and Kupp is out there, he will make a hot read and get it to him or Woods. Take Kupp out of the lineup, and he just doesn't have anyone to get the ball to in that situation.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 12:21 PM   #989
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
I think there are several reasons:

1) He lost his OC and QB coach from last year. I don't think it has shown until now, because it didn't need to when things were good.

2) McVay has not adapted as quickly as he did earlier in the year. Early in the year, if a team was taking something away, he adapted quickly. That has not happened since the bye.

3) Goff has no confidence in Reynolds. Reynolds has made some plays, but he is not the security blanket that Kupp was. Earlier in the season, if Goff was blitzed, he immediately got the ball out to Kupp. Reynolds has made a number of bone headed plays since he has replaced Kupp and Goff is second guessing himself before making the throw. That interception he threw in the first half was not entirely on him. It was not a great throw, but Reynolds should have had that, instead he essentially knocks it up for the CB to make the play.

4) There is no help from the TEs. Higbee is not bad, but he is mostly used to block. When Everett goes in, you know it is going to be a passing play. The problem is, he is not good enough. He has the physical skills, but he makes you pull your hair out because he does not put it all together.

That incompletion to Everett in the 3rd that Collinsworth said was on Goff, I put more blame on Everett. Most receivers run that route to the sideline, if he does that, the ball is not behind him, and he walks in for a TD.

5) Teams have adapted to the Rams attack with Kupp out. Woods goes to the slot, he is fine there, but one safety helps out with Cooks, on plays the middle zone and cheats to help out on Woods, and that puts Reynolds in one and one coverage on the outside. He does not create any separation, and lacks the killer instinct to beat his man for the ball (which goes back to #2 above).

When Kupp was in, you couldn't double any two of the WRs, because the other guy would kill you. Kupp and Woods are incredible route runners and are always creating separation in 1 on 1 matchups. Cooks is not quite to their level in route running, but he can blow by you.

When Goff has time, he will pick you apart. When Goff is rushed and Kupp is out there, he will make a hot read and get it to him or Woods. Take Kupp out of the lineup, and he just doesn't have anyone to get the ball to in that situation.

Totally agree with all of these points. And yes, Reynolds sucks.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 12:35 PM   #990
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I know they've moved the trade deadline back but it would be so much more fun if it was moved back even more. Let everyone load up for the playof
Old 12-17-2018, 01:32 PM   #991
Logan
Head Coach

Good post War.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:18 PM   #992
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

So do Philip Rivers chances at being a Hall of Famer depend on the Chargers winning a Super Bowl (or at the very least getting there)?
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 06:20 PM   #993
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
So do Philip Rivers chances at being a Hall of Famer depend on the Chargers winning a Super Bowl (or at the very least getting there)?

They shouldn't depend on that, but they probably will.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 06:25 PM   #994
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Rivers is an easy 2nd ballot HOF guy
Old 12-17-2018, 07:48 PM   #995
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Needing Will Lutz to keep pace with Cam Newton tonight and seeing Carolina get a 50 yard TD Pass in the opening minutes is not doing my blood pressure any wonders. Thank god for trick plays.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 08:57 AM   #996
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Just saw Josh Gordon trending on Twitter and feared the worst.

Apparently, he is stepping away from football to focus on his mental health. I'm sure that there's more to the story than that, but I'm glad the story isn't that he was dead or arrested. And I really hope that he's managing to head off his demons by getting ahead of them.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:16 AM   #997
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Just saw Josh Gordon trending on Twitter and feared the worst.

Apparently, he is stepping away from football to focus on his mental health. I'm sure that there's more to the story than that, but I'm glad the story isn't that he was dead or arrested. And I really hope that he's managing to head off his demons by getting ahead of them.

Been reported that he's going to be suspended again so I guess the timeline is his mental health issues have caused him to go back to feeling he needs to rely on substances, which is leading to the suspension.

Not trying to make light of anything or imply he's using mental health as a cover, just in case it gets taken that way. Just filling in more of the story.
Old 12-20-2018, 01:58 PM   #998
bob
College Starter

Outside of coaching staffs trying to hold onto a job, why do any NFL teams play their starters after getting knocked out of the playoff hunt?

For example - the Falcons. Why play Matt Ryan, Julio, etc. if things going poorly, you get injured starters or win games and hurt your draft status. They don’t need Ryan to play to get more reps.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 02:30 PM   #999
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Outside of coaching staffs trying to hold onto a job, why do any NFL teams play their starters after getting knocked out of the playoff hunt?

For example - the Falcons. Why play Matt Ryan, Julio, etc. if things going poorly, you get injured starters or win games and hurt your draft status. They don’t need Ryan to play to get more reps.

Butts in seats.
Old 12-20-2018, 02:30 PM   #1000
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post

Maybe because for some of them there's the perception 5-11 gets you fired whereas 7-9 with a couple of nice wins in the last weeks gives you a chance of not?