Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-03-2019, 07:09 PM   #1401
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
I like defensive games. I'm enjoying it so far.

It’s intriguing, definitely not atrocious for me.

Until the weakest lead singing voice I’ve heard for a while has just started. Oof - that’s poor
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 07:11 PM   #1402
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

who is that maroon 5? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

that commercial with all the greats in it was good
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 07:22 PM   #1403
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

To me, there is no doubt Gurley is hurt. Who knows to what extent but my guess is his knee just doesn't feel right. I would also guess even though it's the biggest game of the year for the Rams, McVay wants to have him for many more seasons, so he's seeing very limited action.

Those short 3rd down plays would typically be a pass in the flat to Gurley. He's had like 3-5 straight ahead running plays, the same as last game.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 02-03-2019 at 07:22 PM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 07:29 PM   #1404
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
To me, there is no doubt Gurley is hurt. Who knows to what extent but my guess is his knee just doesn't feel right. I would also guess even though it's the biggest game of the year for the Rams, McVay wants to have him for many more seasons, so he's seeing very limited action.

Those short 3rd down plays would typically be a pass in the flat to Gurley. He's had like 3-5 straight ahead running plays, the same as last game.

He may well be hurt but I think the coaches have lost confidence in him right now. He looks rattled by the big stage. On the first run of the game he had a huge hole and tripped over his own feet and didnt get the ball for quite a few plays after that.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 07:30 PM   #1405
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
He may well be hurt but I think the coaches have lost confidence in him right now. He looks rattled by the big stage. On the first run of the game he had a huge hole and tripped over his own feet and didnt get the ball for quite a few plays after that.

You don't lose confidence in a player of his caliber, he's carried this team for quite some time. His knee is jacked up.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 02-03-2019 at 07:31 PM.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:34 PM   #1406
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
You don't lose confidence in a player of his caliber, he's carried this team for quite some time. His knee is jacked up.

If this were the case he wouldnt be on the field. Something mentally is wrong with him whether its nerves or confidence in his knee.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:35 PM   #1407
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Losing Chung is huge.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 07:41 PM   #1408
PilotMan
Head Coach

If the Rams defense can't get off the field, every single possession will be bad for them. The Pats will simply wear them out until they get a big enough lead and then pack it up. This has the Falcons 2nd half all over it, right now.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 07:47 PM   #1409
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I will note (since my FB wall has more comments about Gurley than anyone other than Gladys Knight) that an NFL.com article in the last 24 hours predicted a split carries with Anderson and specifically cited conditioning as a factor.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:51 PM   #1410
QuikSand
lolzcat

Hekker MVP let’s do this
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 07:51 PM   #1411
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If this were the case he wouldnt be on the field. Something mentally is wrong with him whether its nerves or confidence in his knee.

I was thinking more like he tweaked it a few games back and maybe you're right about confidence in his knee.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:52 PM   #1412
PilotMan
Head Coach

Goff looking like Rothlisburger in post season.

Like Steam?

Old 02-03-2019, 07:57 PM   #1413
AlexB
Pro Starter

The BBC have a booth in the upper tier of the stadium that they cut to every time there’s ads in the CBS coverage.

There are a surprising number of obviously empty seats in the stadium: blocks of 4-10 seats, so it’s not just people taking a leak or getting a beer. I would say its 5-10% empty
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 08:14 PM   #1414
PilotMan
Head Coach

Who says the kicking game is overrated?

Like Steam?

Old 02-03-2019, 08:18 PM   #1415
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I will note (since my FB wall has more comments about Gurley than anyone other than Gladys Knight) that an NFL.com article in the last 24 hours predicted a split carries with Anderson and specifically cited conditioning as a factor.

I can only wonder what he did during his two weeks off if this is the case. Hes a world class athlete I wouldnt imagine he could get himself that out of shape in 2-3 weeks. The entire situation is puzzling. From the best back in the NFL for 15 weeks to barely seeing the field and giving up his carries to an average NFL running back.

Kind of makes you think(when a month ago it was a no brainer) if you are picking 1st in fantasy next year if you take Gurley.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:22 PM   #1416
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I can only wonder what he did during his two weeks off if this is the case. Hes a world class athlete I wouldnt imagine he could get himself that out of shape in 2-3 weeks. The entire situation is puzzling. From the best back in the NFL for 15 weeks to barely seeing the field and giving up his carries to an average NFL running back.

Kind of makes you think(when a month ago it was a no brainer) if you are picking 1st in fantasy next year if you take Gurley.

That's why I thought the article was kinda interesting. It even had quotes about it from the RB coach

Quote:
"If you look at a guy who hasn't really practiced in two or three weeks, then all of the sudden has to go out there and play (in the playoffs), the cardio isn't where it needs to be to play 60 or 70 plays," Peete said. "And that's what he had been doing before he sat out. You need to kind of work him back where you put him in situations where it makes sense. That happened in the Dallas game, and I thought he did some things in the last game."
Old 02-03-2019, 08:56 PM   #1417
JPhillips
General Manager

Kick it.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:00 PM   #1418
PilotMan
Head Coach

Can't say I'm surprised with the result tonight. The score, yes, but not the result. It's a sad day for USA today.

Like Steam?

Old 02-03-2019, 09:02 PM   #1419
bhlloy
Coordinator

Are some the question marks back for Goff given his performances towards the end of the season and tonight?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:05 PM   #1420
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Who says the kicking game is overrated?
kickers that rarely miss, missed today.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:06 PM   #1421
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

And the cheaters win again
Old 02-03-2019, 09:07 PM   #1422
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Are some the question marks back for Goff given his performances towards the end of the season and tonight?

He's a different quarterback with Cooper Kupp. Same way that Brady is different with Julian Edelman. Goff still has a great skill set and is very young.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:08 PM   #1423
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post

that commercial with all the greats in it was good

That commercial was definitely the highlight of the whole night.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:11 PM   #1424
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

More fun playing fake sports at this point, tbh.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:11 PM   #1425
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
He's a different quarterback with Cooper Kupp. Same way that Brady is different with Julian Edelman. Goff still has a great skill set and is very young.

Sure, but Woods and Cooks are both also good receivers. Is a QB really that good if he needs three good receivers and a functional running game to play well? Playing devils advocate for a second.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:11 PM   #1426
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I didn't mind maroon 5, but why have that rapper and marching band? Those are the two lowest forms of music.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:14 PM   #1427
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
kickers that rarely miss, missed today.

Both punters were critical and frankly damn good about where they put the ball. I think it made a huge difference.

Like Steam?

Old 02-03-2019, 09:17 PM   #1428
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Sure, but Woods and Cooks are both also good receivers. Is a QB really that good if he needs three good receivers and a functional running game to play well? Playing devils advocate for a second.

The bigger issue this game was the OL, he was under pressure all night. He looked best the few times they moved the pocket. The hell of it, had Goff thrown more of a dart when Cooks was wide open in the end zone, they get 7 rather than 3 there. If Cooks brings in that ball right before the INT, that’s another 7.

Did they deserve to win? No. But they weren’t far from it either.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:27 PM   #1429
Thomkal
Head Coach

Is it time for the draft and my beloved Cards with the #1 pick yet? (please trade down for some more picks beloved Cards)
Old 02-03-2019, 09:33 PM   #1430
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Kind of hard to believe that in the nine seasons between 2006 and 2014, the Patriots did not win a single Super Bowl and only made it to the final twice.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:35 PM   #1431
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
The bigger issue this game was the OL, he was under pressure all night. He looked best the few times they moved the pocket. The hell of it, had Goff thrown more of a dart when Cooks was wide open in the end zone, they get 7 rather than 3 there. If Cooks brings in that ball right before the INT, that’s another 7.

Did they deserve to win? No. But they weren’t far from it either.

Agreed. He picked himself off the turf many times. He did hold onto the ball a bit long when he had time, but I credit that to the Patriots secondary. The Rams had chances to to win for sure.. but I think Goff learned some things tonight which will make him that much better going forward.

I still don't understand what the heck is going on with Gurley. Maybe it is a conditioning issue, but they are average without him.

I think the Saints would have been a better match up.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:11 PM   #1433
Galaril
Pro Starter

Enjoyable Super Bowl to me at least. A good defensive battle as well as a obvious out coaching scenario for sure. For the record I have hated this Pats team for 16 years but will give respect as it is due. Whether anyone wants to admit or not we likely witnessing the NFL's version of Wooden's UCLA dynasty or the Bronx Bombers from 1924 to the early 60's . Congrats to Pats fans you guys have taken ALOT of shit for just winning.

Last edited by Galaril : 02-03-2019 at 10:57 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 11:07 PM   #1434
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
Kind of hard to believe that in the nine seasons between 2006 and 2014, the Patriots did not win a single Super Bowl and only made it to the final twice.

Those were dark times.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:17 AM   #1435
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
any actual pats fans here?
Hi. (Molson also checking in.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Either McVay decided to do something similar with Gurley, of Gurley is really hurt.
Since the Patriots won, I'm allowed to say it... Gurley's absence is weirder than Malcolm Butler's at this point. I assume he had a knee/groin injury, but it's not like the Patriots/Saints could've targeted that, so idk why the Rams didn't just admit it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
And the cheaters win again
People used to admire greatness in this country, now we just try to tear down any team that wins more than one championship. It's predictable but still sad
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I didn't mind maroon 5, but why have that rapper and marching band? Those are the two lowest forms of music.
Travis Scott suuuuucks, but idk why you'd insult marching bands like that. My earliest football memories were under the bleachers while hearing the band play, with a fence as one sideline & the load bearing beams as the other out of bounds marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Saints/Chiefs would have been a lot more entertaining...
Presumably it would have been. But presumably Patriots/Rams would also be high scoring, and (spoiler alert) it wasn't.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:48 AM   #1436
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Hi. (Molson also checking in.).

Yes Sir.

It was an interesting Super Bowl party this year - the hate was very subdued (I'm a long way from New England), there were more people just enjoying the insanity of this Patriots run.

On the way home (got my girlfriend to drive - that was my personal Super Bowl championship!), I was just thinking about how crazy this whole run has been for Boston sports generally - I became aware of Boston sports in '86, just barely missed out on appreciating the last Larry Bird championship that year; and then, through those sports-crazy childhood years, I never did get a home town championship between '86 and 2000, when I graduated college.....A single championship would have meant SO much to me in those years, but it didn't happen.

But since adulthood, those 19 years, the Boston teams have pulled off 12 championships (and my alma mater, Syracuse, added another in '03 to make it 13). Those 13 championships in adulthood don't mean close to as much as ONE would have meant in my childhood, but, every time, it still does connect me to that past time in my life when this shit really mattered. People like to try to tell me how miserable they think I'll be when the Patriots' run ends, but, truthfully, it's all gravy now, they could go 0-16 next year and every year afterwards, and they've still given me so much more then I ever possibly could have comprehended...And I'm 40 now anyway - but Brady is a crazy throwback to those prior times and that prior way of thinking about sports - his rookie year was when I graduated from college!....Larry Bird is still my favorite athlete, but Brady is #2 and David Ortiz is #3.

Last edited by molson : 02-04-2019 at 01:04 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 01:50 AM   #1437
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Yeah, it barely makes sense. I understand why normal people want to root against the Patriots (f.e. the Warriors didn't exactly stop playing fun up tempo basketball once they won their 1st, title and people still turned on them), but the cheating allegations are ridiculous and media people like Max Kellerman should be ashamed when they're proven wrong year after year.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 06:53 AM   #1438
Kodos
Resident Alien

So Spygate wasn't real?
Old 02-04-2019, 07:15 AM   #1439
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
So Spygate wasn't real?

Or Edelman getting popped for PED's the only time he tried them.

Or Brady giving the nickname "The Deflator" and subsequently destroying his phone. Who hasn't destroyed their phone amongst us?

LOL. I'm not sure anyone hates the Patriots as much as apologists like Bill Simmons etc. They are great no question, they also cheat no question.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 07:20 AM   #1440
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
So Spygate wasn't real?

It was 12 yeas ago, probably time to get over it.

I am a Giants fan and I always root for the Pats. I admire greatness and that is what we are seeing with Brady/BB.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 07:25 AM   #1441
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

Quote:
the cheating allegations are ridiculous and media people like Max Kellerman should be ashamed when they're proven wrong year after year.

I was responding because it seemed like Bishop was trying to say the allegations of cheating were unfair. Can any unbiased person really question whether the Patriots cheated multiple times in different manners along the way?

They are obviously great. The fact that they have been caught cheating repeatedly takes off some of the luster.

Last edited by Kodos : 02-04-2019 at 07:29 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 07:25 AM   #1442
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

I am a Giants fan and I always root for the Pats. I admire greatness and that is what we are seeing with Brady/BB.

Greatest of all time no doubt. Any reason to bring up cheating on your own? No.

Pats fans wondering where the cheating allegations come from and saying people like Max Kellerman should be ashamed to question the "Deflator"/destroyed phone story should warrant a response, no?
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 07:34 AM   #1443
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
I was responding because it seemed like Bishop was trying to say the allegations of cheating were unfair. Can any unbiased person really question whether the Patriots cheated multiple times in different manners along the way?

They are obviously great. The fact that they have been caught cheating repeatedly takes off some of the luster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Greatest of all time no doubt. Any reason to bring up cheating on your own? No.

Pats fans wondering where the cheating allegations come from and saying people like Max Kellerman should be ashamed to question the "Deflator"/destroyed phone story should warrant a response, no?

Fair points.

I just hate the way people immediately jump to those things.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 07:40 AM   #1444
Kodos
Resident Alien

FWIW, I'm not aware of any cheating allegations against them for this season. So kudos to them on that.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:48 AM   #1445
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
People used to admire greatness in this country, now we just try to tear down any team that wins more than one championship. It's predictable but still sad

Because if there's one thing Boston fans can agree on it's the admiration for the greatness of the New York Yankees.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:25 AM   #1446
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
FWIW, I'm not aware of any cheating allegations against them for this season. So kudos to them on that.

The Super Bowl MVP missed the first 4 games of the season due to a PED suspension.

But no one should call them cheaters.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:05 AM   #1447
bob
College Starter

My hatred of the Patriots has almost nothing to do with the team itself vs a few Boston sports fans I personally know.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 09:09 AM   #1448
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
The Super Bowl MVP missed the first 4 games of the season due to a PED suspension.

I couldn't remember if that was this season or last.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:17 AM   #1449
Arles
Grey Dog Software

For most of the season, the pundits have been saying what a great opportunity it is to have a young QB on a rookie contract for team building. But, after watching the likes of Goff, Trubisky, Dak, Watson and Lamar Jackson really struggle against prepared defenses - it seems like there is a ceiling for these expensive rosters with a young QB. Even Mahomes, who is a generational talent, got shut down for a half. I get that you may have a Russel Wilson situation every so often where the roster is extremely strong and you have a very mature young QB - but I really wonder if this new blueprint is one that leads to playoff success. I'd rather have a Brady, Brees, Rivers or Rodgers and have to make cuts at other spots in my roster - but know that when I need a drive in the playoffs that these guys have a good chance to make it happen.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:20 AM   #1450
thehitcat
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post

Your Team Cheats - The Definitive Guide to NFL Cheating

Enjoy!
thehitcat is offline   Reply With Quote