Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-15-2024, 10:35 AM   #1151
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Is the third Monday of January the most depressing day of the year?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 04:34 PM   #1152
Radii
Head Coach

My psychiatrist recommended light therapy to me the last time we met. Her recommendation was any light on Amazon that advertised a light of 10,000 lux, and to use it for 30 minutes a day early in the work day. I've been doing so for about a week, I can't really say if it's helping with anything yet, but there's tons of them available for relatively cheap so it seemed harmless to try out.

EDIT: specifically a suggestion for Seasonal Depression.

Last edited by Radii : 01-15-2024 at 05:05 PM.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 05:19 PM   #1153
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

That's why 9 days later, I'm heading to New Zealand!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 05:33 PM   #1154
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
My psychiatrist recommended light therapy to me the last time we met. Her recommendation was any light on Amazon that advertised a light of 10,000 lux, and to use it for 30 minutes a day early in the work day. I've been doing so for about a week, I can't really say if it's helping with anything yet, but there's tons of them available for relatively cheap so it seemed harmless to try out.

I've been using one too for a few years. Mostly because I like to wake up late and in the winter, I'm not getting much sun light. Can't really say if it works or not since I forget quite often, but I have felt better in the winter. I've also been taking Vitamin D and trying to get at least 10k steps in a day (or ride a few miles on the exercise bike).

The exercise has probably had the best effect on me. When I'm walking a lot, I do feel like I'm in a much better mood (plus it has improved my sleep).

The catch-22 is that when you feel shitty, the last thing you want to do is go outside and move around.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 07:50 AM   #1155
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

So last March after my dad passed I started taking stock in my life and one of the things I determined was sports betting wasn't healthy for me. I made my last bet March 17 last year. I started seeing a therapist to deal with my grief as well as other things. He determined I was not a gambling addict, which is good, I just felt like it made me a person I didn't like being. It wasn't a financial thing, although I wasn't telling my wife how much or often I was betting. I would stay up super late at night, step out of family events to make bets, etc...I did eventually discuss it with my wife who was beyond supportive. Overall I am much happier a person.

This will be the first Superbowl in over 30 years I haven't bet on, other than squares, and it feels a bit weird not to hammer a bunch of stupid props. I haven't even looked at them.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 09:32 AM   #1156
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Not much changed on the marriage front. My wife is struggling with so much. I try to be supportive but she does a lot of self-inflicted damage.

Lawyer called and we're moving to mediation in about 30 days, if I decide to go forward.

I just feel the weight of disrupting my boys' lives over things that should've been so simple to keep in control.

She would have to drastically change so much that I don't think she's capable of, and I believe that to be okay. You can't change who you are unless you want to, but at the same point after 13 years, you know what you are getting.

I don't consider the post divorce lifestyle to be much better. I'm not a type A regardless of my aggressive posting on the board. I just want equilibrium to things.

When my kids needed things I didn't have any problems with that. This past Christmas my wife floated the idea of not having Christmas. I was so angry, because my children are being punished for her decisions. I was able to cobble together to get them a nice Christmas. But this entitlement and then when things go bad everyone else has to pay for it is exactly why I filed.

I work out which helps reduce the stress. I try to enjoy the time I have with my sons as if it's the last time because things are going to change.

Couples therapy just shows me we're locked into who we are.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 10:07 AM   #1157
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I've shared my experience with my father having Alzheimer's upthread. This week I met with my Mom and her lawyer to chart the financial and legal intricacies of moving them both into a community where he can eventually have the option of Memory Care (and in the interim they'll have less to keep up around the house and the option of caretaker help) without losing all their money.

It's too much complexity for my Mom, so I'm basically in charge as the only sibling capable of doing so. Adding to the complexity is that they're half the country away. In addition, it is clear that in a worst-case scenario (either of them needing extended nursing home care), I'm likely the financial backstop, which has scuttled any hope of a near-term retirement.

To add to that, our 12-year-old son, who has had bullying issues at school for about a year now saw his therapist two weeks ago, who pulled us aside afterwards and told us he has a concrete plan to end his life and needs to go into a facility immediately. Which we did. We're now working through that while simultaneously doing all the work to transfer him to a private school (another hit to the retirement plans) for at least the remainder of 7th and all of 8th grade.

What keeps me going is the thought that at some point, X years from now, this is all better. But this is not a lot of fun.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 10:12 AM   #1158
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

OMG flere. As the parent of a 13 year old this horrifies me. Not to freak you out but a 12 year old kid next town over took his own life last week so thank god you listened and took it seriously.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 10:59 AM   #1159
JPhillips
General Manager

Jeez flere. God bless. That's incredibly scary and stressful.
Old 02-11-2024, 01:59 PM   #1160
Kodos
Resident Alien

Parenting is so much harder than I thought it would be. Hang in there Flere, Qwiksot and everyone else who is struggling.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 07:08 PM   #1161
tarcone
Coordinator

Been a rough week. Today would have been my 25th anniversary and tomorrow is the one year anniversary of my divorce.
Been keeping busy. Have 4 new games to tackle. Went on a 3 mile hike today. Mix in Xanax annd weed and Im getting through it.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 07:56 PM   #1162
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Been a rough week. Today would have been my 25th anniversary and tomorrow is the one year anniversary of my divorce.
Been keeping busy. Have 4 new games to tackle. Went on a 3 mile hike today. Mix in Xanax annd weed and Im getting through it.
I probably need some Xanax in my life. Not weed, though. I get anxious instead of relaxed on weed for some reason.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 07:22 PM   #1163
miami_fan
Coordinator

*Long Rambling Post Alert*

My great aunt passed away at 99 years old. I know we sometimes talk about not wanting to live to that age but she lived and enjoyed every one of those years right up until the beginning of February when she had a stroke. She survived that and within a week or so wanted and then demanded to go home. They would not allow her to go home because she was still frail and in pain and lived by herself so she ended up going to my uncle's house. She was alive for another four days or so and then passed away peacefully in her sleep on February 12. Over the next two plus weeks, our family went back to our ancestral home and sent our matriarch home.

I have never experienced a death of a loved one where there was no stress, no sadness, no thought of what could of or should have been. That is what happened with my aunt's death. The only disappointment was I wish she could have made to April 5th for he 100th birthday party. But even that feels silly, she lived for 99 years! She traveled to every continent multiple times. Other than a year she lived at a relative for her first job, she lived in the same house her parents bought before she was born. She never married, had no kids but her house was always filled with family, friends, former teaching and administrative colleagues and former students. She enjoyed four generations of family after hers. And who the hell has former students come to have lunch with them every year and they handle everything including making sure to clean up everything before they left her house 20+ years after she retired. To say that she lived a life well lived is an understatement.

She planned and paid for every detail of her funeral. Every reading, every hymn, every speaker, every musician, if it happened at the funeral she had planned it. She told the family what she wanted to wear while in the coffin and during her cremation. She made sure this was going to be a celebration of life. Rule# 1- There will be one eulogy, the minister will give his sermon and that was it. No tributes or anything like. We could and did set up a separate service for that. The rest of the funeral was nothing but hymns hymns and more hymns. It was wonderful. I have never given serious thought to what my funeral would look like but having gone through funerals with what felt like a never ending conveyor belt of people giving their well meaning and understandably sad tributes to the deceased, I now know I don't want that. Save the tributes for another day. I hate the idea of family and friends being sad even it is because I passed. I want them to feel what I and everyone else felt after my aunt's passing. But I wonder if that can only be the case if the person lives to 99 and squeezed every drop of life out of each of those years.

Now a week or so after returning home, I am finally coming to grip with reality. My great aunt was the last of my maternal grandparents' generation. There is only one left in that generation on my paternal grandparents' side. My parents' generation are now the elders in the family for intents and purpose. They are now the closest links to the good ol' days. That also means all of a sudden, I have moved up on the family tree. I was definitely aware that my parents were getting older but now with the exception of my great aunt on my Dad's side, my parents' generation are the oldest living one in the family. And then it is mine. Damn, life comes at you fast.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 07:46 PM   #1164
thesloppy
Pro Starter

That was a moving tribute, sounds like she had a great life and we can all only hope to be so well remembered.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 06:23 AM   #1165
Kodos
Resident Alien

A nice tribute, Miami. Sounds like she had a great life. May she R.I.P.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 12:54 PM   #1166
miami_fan
Coordinator

Thank you the sloppy and Kodos.

As much as it was a tribute to her, it was me just reflecting getting older and moving up the hierarchy of family. Having kids 10+ years a part with the oldest in his late 20s with no kids (though that may be changing soon), I feel like others have already this experience. This trip found me sitting on the porch with my nephews and other members of his generation watching their kids playing in the yard. I was just doing that with her and my youngest son a few years ago.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 03:50 PM   #1167
Schmidty
Coordinator

I want in on this thread. I have been frightened to read it.

I’m reading it now. I hope that once I respond, I don’t tigger or make someone else’s day subpar.
Old 03-06-2024, 03:54 PM   #1168
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post

DO LIGHT THERAPY!

Sorry for caps and this was 10 seconds from me saying I’d read the thread, but gosh dang! Light therapy saved my life! Light therapy in a controlled environment is therapeutic beyond belief. You get the wrong part of the spectrum for your trauma? It is terrifying. It has made me not be able to breathe and I had to quit.

But when you hit that mark? Those marks? You will get better.
Old 03-06-2024, 08:34 PM   #1169
Edward64
Head Coach

Condolences miami_fan.

3 of my grandparents died before I got to know them. The 4th live a pretty long time, but was blind and in a different country. I honestly did not know her well.

I did get a chance to take the kids to see her before she passed. I like to think that brought her some comfort.

It’s great you had 99 years.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 08:27 AM   #1170
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

On the subject of grandparents... you know, it's interesting - my brother and I have had a lot of time to ruminate on our relationship with our parents given the rough 6+ months we've had since my Dad's accident. My parents continually gave us shit for never visiting them in Texas, despite the fact that nearly every year, my family would go on vacation with them, they'd visit us once on their own, and then we'd all gather for either Thanksgiving or Christmas (usually at my house). It didn't matter; it was always "it's embarrassing that our kids haven't been to visit us in years."

My response was always - we go on vacation with you. I only have so much time off. If you think I'd rather spend a week sitting on your couch while you play on your iPads rather than going to Hawaii, or Arizona, or Utah, or Michigan, etc. (all places we went with them), guess again. But it came up constantly (my brother has less of an excuse than me, so I leaned pretty hard into it, since my conscience is clean, lol).

For years before my Dad's accident, we begged them to move closer to us. We did not grow up in TX (we lived there for about 3 years in the early 80s, but that's it). We were living in GA when I went to away to college, and in FL when my brother went away to college. They left us in the mid-90s to move back to TX (for job reasons, completely understandable, but still). As they got older, we told them they needed a plan to be closer to us as they aged. They resisted for years. We finally conviced them to move, and if you've read my previous posts, you know what happened - my Dad fell on his head cleaning out the attic in the garage 2 weeks before closing on the sale of their house.

Anyway, I bring all that up to say, as my brother and I have struggled to deal with (mainly) my Mom's inability to handle the most basic aspects of life, let alone my Dad's accident - and all of the frustrations and bile that has surfaced given the ongoing stressful situation - we've discussed the fact that they have had some pretty unfair expectations of us, considering their own circumstances. My parents were both born and raised in the Detroit area. On my Mom's side, my grandmother died of cancer when I was about 5. We used to regularly visit my grandfather, and we'd visit my Dad's parents every Sunday and he'd mow the lawn. But in 1981, we moved to TX. They basically left their parents to be taken care of by their siblings who remained in MI (I believe there were some hard feelings, particularly on my Dad's side, but I was too young to really get into it). We went back once, that I can recall, for something other than a funeral.

And crucially, the one thing they didn't have to deal with was a long aging process. We left in 1981 - by 1988, all three of my remaining grandparents were dead. There was no long, drawn out process of having to deal with aging parents. They were all older to begin with, and they each died suddenly. So my brother and I have a bit of resentment for the way we've been hounded about my parents' situation, given that (a) they moved 1000+ miles away from their own aging parents, and (b) they didn't have to deal with 30+ years of navigating life with aging parents.

My parents were barely 40 when the last of their parents passed away. Between me and my wife and my brother and SIL, we have all 6 parents still alive. We're going on 53; brother and SIL are in their late 40s. So it's been particularly difficult listening to my Mom talk about their pre-accident beefs given the relatively light load they had to carry with their parents (and the inherent hypocrisy of the circumstances).
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-07-2024 at 08:28 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 03:55 AM   #1171
Corny_1
n00b

I've been feeling a weight of anxiety lately, mostly stemming from work and personal stressors. It's like there's a constant knot in my stomach that just won't loosen up.
Tried meditation and breathing exercises using this Calmer app, which has been somewhat helpful, but I need a bit more support.
I'm looking for recommendations from others who have dealt with similar struggles, and I'm open to exploring different ways to manage my anxiety more effectively.
Any suggestions?

Last edited by Corny_1 : 04-05-2024 at 04:03 AM.
Corny_1 is offline   Reply With Quote