Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-12-2012, 07:01 PM   #1
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

An American in Turin - Juventus FM13

A word of disclaimer: I've discovered in the past that I don't like doing traditional "long form every game" narrative dynasties. The writing required for them inevitably ends up slowing down my gameplay and then I end up abandoning the dynasty. So we're not going that way this time. I'm also just finished with the second offseason, so I'll catch you up with what's gone on via a decent-sized intro post to catch you up on past transactions, current state of the squad, and past results in all competitions.

Moving forward after catching you all up I'll probably drop-in the results (and maybe more narrative) surrounding big/key matches, and of course transfers and such. And there will be year-end wrapups too.

Hopefully this will be of interest to people?

Next post: Setting the stage (fortunately there's actually a vaguely logical setup) and catching you up on the first year.

DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:59 PM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

The Beginning & 2012

It was on my trip to Italy in February of this past year (2012) when I made the decision to make a pilgrimage up to Turin to take in the newly-built grounds of the club I have been a fan of since the mid-1990s. The train ride up from Rome was long, but passed quicker then it would have in the USA due to the high-speed rail lines.

The stadium was everything I imagined it would be, even though there was no match being played - I reveled in the tour around the newly-constructed seats and the ability to see the pitch where last season's Scudetto winners had completed their undefeated season, returning La Vecchia Signora to her place atop Italian football.

It was in the cafe down the street though that my life was about to take a turn for the surreal, for the truly unexpected. I stepped into line behind a man in a winter greatcoat, and man let me tell you...I needed an espresso BAD. Preferably 3 doppios actually.

I was on such a high from my visit to the Juventus stadium that when I recognized the gentleman in front of me at the espresso bar I tugged my Juventus scarf a bit tighter around my neck and paid for Andrea Agnelli's espresso out of appreciation.

Imagine my surprise when he struck up a conversation with me (in English) upon seeing my scarf and hearing me mumble to myself in English.

As we drank our espresso he mentioned to me that with the upcoming touchline bans likely to take effect against Antonio Conte and other staff members next year, he was looking for someone. Not someone to come in and run the team mind you, but someone to take over from Conte on match days and carry out his instructions.

I mentioned my years of obsessive fandom, and alluded to my success in taking the team forward into the future using Football Manager, and let him know that I would be interested in the deal.

He mentioned that he'd think about it and get back to me, and took my card. I wasn't expecting to hear anything more about it, but he reached out to me several weeks later and asked me to back up what I had said. So I zipped up my years and years of Juventus savegames across all the old versions of Football Manager, and sent them over to him, laughing as I did so at the incredulity of it.

Imagine my surprise then when I heard back from him in May, indicating that the job was mine if I wanted it. He waited until I arrived to drop the BIG bomb on me - that they had carefully reviewed my "Football Manager resume" and were comfortable with me deviating from Conte's plans (to a degree) if I thought it was best. Furthermore, he said, they had arranged for a modest supplemental transfer kitty for me in case I saw any areas that needed to be shored up after the preseason.

I set to work, bringing in the following players before the season began (note that the Sigurosson deal was paid out over some months so it wasn't all up front):

D/WB L - Razvan Rat ($4.1m from Shakhtar)
ST - John Guidetti (loan from Man City)
ST - Humberto Suazo ($12m from Monterray in Mexico)
ST/AM - Gylfi Sigurosson ($16.5m from Tottenham)
ST - Adriano (free transfer from Flamengo, joining in winter transfer window)

I sold off the following players in order to help fund this and because they were surplus:

M R/L - Simone Pepe ($15m to Newcastle)
ST - Alessandro Matri ($8m to Parma - winter transfer window)

Year 2012 Summary
Okay, so I didn't exactly live up to Conte's undefeated record of the year before, but I did rack up an impressive record of my own: 26 wins, 10 draws, and 2 losses in taking the league by 19 points. My offense tallied a league runner-up 58 goals, and allowed an impressively low 18 goals, for a +40 goal differential.

Players of note:
Razvan Rat - played 26 games at an average rating of 7.08
Humberto Suazo - played in 28 games, scoring 14 goals at an average rating of 7.07
Gylfi - played in 23 games, scoring 6 goals at an average rating of 6.90
Adriano - played in 12 games, scoring 1 goal, with an average rating of 6.75

Champions League: Lost to Montpellier in the First Knockout Round on aggregate.
Italian Cup: Beat Udinese in the Final.

So in my first year in charge I managed the "baby double." Perhaps in recognition of this, or perhaps due to the offensive/defensive record, or my overall record, Agnelli called me into his office at the end of the year and offered me a new contract. Me...an American guy. So I went for broke - I countered with a 5-year deal but at a much lower salary then he initially offered, so it would cost him less in the end. He accepted!!

Signings that worked:
Razvan Rat - relatively cheap, provided a good WB/L
Humberto Suazo - he took a while to come on, but ended with a strike-rate of 0.5g/gm, which is acceptable for the price

Signings that didn't work:
Adriano - the definition of flop
John Guidetti (loan) - barely made any appearances. Fortunately didn't cost much at all

A Word About My Tactics:

I play a 3-5-2/5-3-2 with 3 central defenders, 2 wingbacks, 3 central midfielders (1 deep lying playmaker, 1 ball-winner, and 1 box-to-box), and then 2 strikers, typically one deep-lying playmaker and one Poacher (although these depend on the strikers playing obviously). I prefer to play "control" although I'll play "attacking" against weaker teams, and play a fluid style, trying to get my wingbacks to open space down the flanks and then play it back in to my playmaking midfielders or cross into the box. I typically see a lot of goals from my MC's coming late into the box. Basically what you see from Juventus in real life.

I tend to prefer to keep my tactic static and bring in players to complement it, although I will change it up if necessary. But I'm not a "tinkerer." If I acquire the right talent in the future I may move to more of a 4-2-4 (which I had great success with in FM12) with 2 AM's, but that's dependent upon personnel

Next Post: Year 2013 in review

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 11-13-2012 at 09:11 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

2013 Year in Review

Year in Review: 2013

Transfers Out:
Felipe Melo - $9m to Galatasary
Marco Storari, Rubinho, Marco Motta - free transfers
Emanuele Giaccherini - $7.75m co-ownership playing at A.C. Milan
Jorge Martinez & Simone Padoin - total of $5.2m to Deportivo and Cagliari respectively

Transfers In:
D/WB R - Mauricio Isla ($14m to purchase off of co-ownership from Udinese). By the end of last season he was pressing Lichsteiner for a starting spot, so there was no question that I would outbid Udinese for him
ST - Mattia Destro (free transfer from Genoa at age of 22, rising Italian star)
ST - Fernando Llorente (free transfer for the "Lion of Bilbao")
DM/MC - David Roger ($1.8m for this 16 year old Frenchman with 5-star potential)
D/WB L - Andre Santos (loan from Arsenal) - to provide cover
DC - Kolo Toure ($1.1m from Man City) - to provide cover
D/WB L - Maynor Figueroa ($3m from Newcastle) - to provide cover, subsequently loaned right out
GK - Christian Abbiati (free from Milan)
GK - Jan Murcha ($950k from Everton)

How did I fare?

Italian Cup: Defeated Napoli in the final
Serie A: 26 wins, 7 draws, and 5 losses. 61 goals for, and an incredible 13 against, for a +48 goal differential. Won the league by 11pts over Inter.
Champions League: Won the Champions League after defeating Barcelona in the final, thanks to this late goal by Giorgio Chiellini
Barcelona vs Juventus - Chiellini Goal 86 minutes - YouTube

Players/Signings who worked:
Mauricio Isla - with 42 starts he assumed the mantle of my starting right wingback, chipping in 12 assists at a 7.12 average rating
Andre Santos - made a strong case to stick around after his loan, chipping in a 7.14 average rating at left wingback over 26 apperances with 6 goals (free kicks mostly) and 5 assists
Luca Marrone - 30 appearances and a 7.08 rating for this young defensive midfielder
Paul Pogba - 21 appearances and a 6.93 rating as he grows into his midfield role
Gylfi - 25 appearances, 8 goals and 8 assists at a 7.04 average rating as he adjusts to being a forward
Claudio Marchisio - 42 appearances, 7.24 average rating
Leonardo Bonucci - 52 appearances, 7.51 average rating, and 12 MoM awards. This followed a season of 44 appearances and a 7.41 average rating the year before

Players/signings who didn't work:
Maynor Figueroa - went out on loan immediately
Jan Murcha - went out on loan immediately
Fernando Llorente - controversial here, but with 52 appearances (I was trying to play him thru an early-season slump and get him familiar with the tactic) he returned 14 goals and 8 assists with a 7.06 average rating. Not exactly what I was hoping for

Next Post: Bringing you up to date on 2014 (current season, just started)

Old 11-13-2012, 12:05 AM   #4
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Year 2014 - September 13 digest

2014 - The Year so far
According to my coaches Pirlo is over-the-hill. We'll see if he can still contribute, or if it's time to start transitioning more of the midfield duties to my younger guns (Vidal, Marchisio, Pogba, Marrone). Also according to them, Gylfi is doing gangbusters.

Players In:

Co-ownership deals completed
ST - Manolo Gabbiadini ($2.4m from Atalanta). Purchased his co-ownership rights in order to keep him with me. Talented young striker (in game and IRL), at just the age of 22 might even see a bit of first team action in games against weaker teams this year
WB L / MC - Kwadwo Asamoah ($18m to outbid Udinese on the co-ownership). Bought Isla last year, and Kwadwo this year. As Pirlo starts to age, Kwadwo gives me another midfield option (to go with Vidal/Marchisio/Marrone/Pogba), as well as a WB L option.
DC - Frederik Sorenson ($1.4m from Bologna). Bought him out of co-ownership from Bologna.
ST - Ciro Immobile ($3.5m from Genoa). Young striker. Bought him to see if he'll amount to anything.

Transfers In
ST - Yassine Benzia (free from Olympique Lyonnais). Young striker with 4-star potential. Reserve team for now.
DC - Lincoln ($775k from Flamengo). One for the future at 18. 4.5 star potential.
DL/WB L - Jetro Williams (free transfer, formerly with PSV). As the age of 20, still one for the future with 4-star potential.
ST - Abel Hernandez ($25m from FC Porto - where he moved from Palermo). Still just 24, and had 6 goals in 9 appearances for Porto (who bought him for $24m from Palermo). He forced his way out and I was lucky to benefit I hope. As a more traditional striker he may be a better fit than Llorente for me, in which case I can make some money on Llorente.
ST - Andrea Coccina ($1m from Atalanta). Still just 16. 5-star potential as a Target Man/Deep-Lying Forward.
GK - Marc-Andre ter Stegen ($29.5m from Gladbach). It was time to begin thinking about a replacement for Buffon as the rock of my world's-best defense, and there were very few people who met my qualifications. I would have rather had an Italian, but ter Stegen was far-and-away the best candidate in the world, particularly when factoring in that he's still just 22 and could theoretically be my starter for the next 15(!!) years.

Players Out:
DC - Lucio & Kolo Toure - free transfers whose time had come
GK - Jan Murcha ($1.3m to Barcelona). So wait a second - I actually made money on this guy as a backup GK? Way to go me!
ST - Mirko Vucinic ($17m to Hoffenheim). With the influx of strikers I brought in, the strong play of Gylfi and the need to find playing time for Giovinco, Destro, and Hernandez, it was time to capitalize on Vucinic's value, especially as he is aging (30 now)
ST - Fabio Quagliarella ($11m to Palermo). Same story as Vucinic - it was time to capitalize on his remaining value at the age of 31 given the many other options I had.
D/WB L - Andre Santos - Although he made a strong case to stick around, he was getting up there in years, and I had Razvan Rat at a better wage-level to provide cover for De Ceglie/Asamoah

Matches to date
Italian Super Cup: An easy 2-0 victory over Napoli in a game where I dominated possession at 57%.
European Super Cup: A hard-fought 2-1 victory over Spartak Moscow. Spartak scored in the 36th minute, and I was unable to answer until the 82nd minute through Arturo Vidal, who managed to net a second in the 100th minute for the winner.

So there you go - now you're caught up.

Next match is an early-season Derby d'Italia at the Meazza.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 11-13-2012 at 09:16 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:16 PM   #5
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Year 2014 - September 13 - Derby d'Italia

An early Derby d'Italia (3rd match of the Serie A season) greets us as we awake on this fall morning. Juventus head into the match in 5th place on 4 points (along with 6 six other teams, including Inter).

Parma and Siena are joint-top, having won both of their starting matches. This Derby then is likely not to be decisive, but may provide a significant morale boost to the guys.

Over the last two years since assuming control of Juventus, the boys have delivered an impeccable record in the 4 derby matches, taking the maximum 12 points while only allowing one goal.

As this is the away-match for us, played at the Meazza, Inter are slight favorites.

Your starting lineups and the match kickoff, coming up next!

Juventus (3-5-2)

ter Stegen, Chiellini, Bonucci, Caceres, De Ceglie, Isla, Marchisio, Asamoah, Vidal, Sigurossen (Gylfi), Llorente

Inter (4-4-2)
Belec, Nagatomo, Ranocchia, Caldirola, Pereira, Jonathan, Mariga, Sneijder, Alvarez, Palacio, Chu-Young

34th minute: Chiellini! Near-post header off a corner

1-0 Juve!

43rd minute: Ranocchia equalizes in similar fashion for Inter

1-1 tie

63rd minute: Red card for a vicious challenge by Marchisio. Trouble for us!

86th minute: Disallowed (wrongfully IMO) goal for Gylfi. He sure looked onside for me. (Disappointed about the lack of the instant-replay offside-line in FM13 too btw).

Game ends in a 1-1 draw. Robbed of two points and a disruption to our perfect record in the fixture.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:34 PM   #6
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Two Future Youth Players

Two 16 year olds I signed for future transfers (in 2016) from Brazil.

Lima - $5.25m
Rafael - $1.2m

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 11-24-2012 at 05:35 PM.