Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2020, 08:52 PM   #3351
RainMaker
General Manager

I think it hurts Harris too. Whitmer, Duckworth and Abrams seem to be the beneficiaries.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:48 AM   #3352
Flasch186
Coordinator

I think Harris threads the needle on this.

Clearly skin color plays a part as unfortunate as that is but it'll help capture enough of the minority vote and buttress Biden's criminal justice concerns.

Then the fact that she was a prosecutor saves the middle American white women's vote.

I think this is a marketable advantage for Harris in the race.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 05-30-2020, 08:13 AM   #3353
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
I think Harris threads the needle on this.

Clearly skin color plays a part as unfortunate as that is but it'll help capture enough of the minority vote and buttress Biden's criminal justice concerns.

Then the fact that she was a prosecutor saves the middle American white women's vote.

I think this is a marketable advantage for Harris in the race.
I posted the Bottoms vid in the other thread. On that speech alone does she leapfrog Harris and Abrams? That's the kind of rhetoric and message that I'd expect would resonate with suburban white women who were already lukewarm on Trump. I tend to think Georgia is possibly flippable, and I wonder if Bottoms gives him the best shot at that...
Old 05-30-2020, 08:28 AM   #3354
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
I posted the Bottoms vid in the other thread. On that speech alone does she leapfrog Harris and Abrams? That's the kind of rhetoric and message that I'd expect would resonate with suburban white women who were already lukewarm on Trump. I tend to think Georgia is possibly flippable, and I wonder if Bottoms gives him the best shot at that...
Interesting. I will say I was hearing praise for Bottoms even before this from people you would not expect to hear praise from. She is pretty well unknown outside of Georgia right now (maybe this will raise her profile?). I am afraid of the possible skeletons that might pop-up even from her short time in Atlanta. No one comes in or out of Atlanta city government clean it seems.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 05-30-2020 at 10:35 AM.
Old 05-30-2020, 09:34 AM   #3355
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
...comes in or out of Atlanta city government clean it seems...
Fair point. I guess it wouldn't be shocking if she doesn't survive the vetting.
Old 05-30-2020, 10:35 AM   #3356
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Fair point. I guess it wouldn't be shocking if she doesn't survive the vetting.
Thanks for not quoting the typo.
Old 05-30-2020, 01:25 PM   #3357
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Also Bottoms is on her third year as Mayor and before that a City Council member. Not exactly a ton of experience, and I think Biden wants to contrast experience. Not to mention, Kasim Reed was a part of her camp and he was a crook (now KLB has been much better, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were skeletons somewhere).

Harris may be the best choice. Threads the needle well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-30-2020, 01:31 PM   #3358
JPhillips
General Manager

Biden has a difficult task because whoever is chosen may be the Presidential favorite as early as 2024. A lot of people want that, and he'll have to be careful so that he doesn't piss off too many others. That's a big advantage with Warren, who may also not want to run in 2024, but I think it's risky not to have a person of color on the ticket.
Old 05-30-2020, 01:45 PM   #3359
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

He so needs Warren really. But she's kind of all over the place lately. Granted so are many others
Old 05-30-2020, 01:53 PM   #3360
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

You can't do Warren because the Dems can't lose a Senate seat

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Old 05-30-2020, 03:02 PM   #3361
JPhillips
General Manager

I don't think that's a big issue. The Dem legislature has changed the law before and can do it again.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:55 PM   #3362
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
You can't do Warren because the Dems can't lose a Senate seat

SI

I highly doubt they would lose her seat. There is a Senate race this year and the Republicans likely candidate is some complete nut conspiracy theorist.
Old 05-30-2020, 08:07 PM   #3363
Flasch186
Coordinator

I think a Warren selection loses the white suburban vote who is afraid of extreme taxation.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 05-30-2020, 08:11 PM   #3364
Atocep
Coordinator

Although not as important as the white suburban vote, it would also kill any chance of pulling in the Sanders supporters.

I really like Warren. I think she'd be an outstanding VP. I don't think she's the right pick here.
Old 05-30-2020, 08:20 PM   #3365
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I don't think that's a big issue. The Dem legislature has changed the law before and can do it again.

I read that the governor (currently Charlie Baker, a Centrist Rupublican) would get to appoint the replacement, with a special election to follow within 120 days (not positive about time, but not too long if she were to resign immediately after the presidential election in early November and inauguration in Jan). The Democratic legislature would also likely pass a law, like other states have, where they give Baker three nominees to choose from.

It currently looks like Massachusetts’ other senator, Ed Markey is going to lose his primary to Rep Joe Kennedy III (grandson of Bobby Kennedy), despite having pretty good approval numbers. It would make sense for the loser of the primary to get the nod. Markey, in particular, would retain seniority and committee assignments.
Old 05-30-2020, 08:39 PM   #3366
QuikSand
lolzcat

I bought PredictIt shares of Val Demings weeks ago, just on spec...sold most of them this morning at 17 cents. Nice win. I still think she is an interesting play, but it sounds like they don't plan to announce for another 8-9 weeks, and it seems like a ton could happen through that time. I'm still invested enough to watch it, but not enough to pace over it.
Old 05-30-2020, 10:02 PM   #3367
BillyMadison
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Although not as important as the white suburban vote, it would also kill any chance of pulling in the Sanders supporters.

I really like Warren. I think she'd be an outstanding VP. I don't think she's the right pick here.

Absolutely the opposite. Sure, Sanders voters were pissed at Warren for a lot of reasons, but she still represents the most progressive voice of the options, and it if anything, it would be an olive branch to Sanders' wing of the party. Most rationale Sanders voters will see that.

Source: Me. Sanders supporter. Did not love her campaign and some of her antics, but would love Warren as VP.

Last edited by BillyMadison : 05-30-2020 at 10:02 PM.
Old 05-30-2020, 10:11 PM   #3368
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMadison View Post
Absolutely the opposite. Sure, Sanders voters were pissed at Warren for a lot of reasons, but she still represents the most progressive voice of the options, and it if anything, it would be an olive branch to Sanders' wing of the party. Most rationale Sanders voters will see that.

Source: Me. Sanders supporter. Did not love her campaign and some of her antics, but would love Warren as VP.

That may very well be the case, I just see a ton of Sanders supporters that still blame her for Biden getting the nomination. There seems to be a lot of bad blood there.

As I said, she'd be my number 1 choice. However, my goal is to get Trump out of office and I'm not sure she's the right VP to help make that happen.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:18 AM   #3369
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Name the candidate that gets the most Sanders supporters into the fold?

SI

Old 05-31-2020, 09:46 AM   #3370
spleen1015
Coordinator

Sanders
Old 05-31-2020, 09:49 AM   #3371
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Name the candidate that gets the most Sanders supporters into the fold?

SI

I don't think it's that simple. I think you need to look at who motivates the most voters. Sanders' voters are one block, but driving up African-American turnout and Hispanic turnout are also important goals.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:52 AM   #3372
PilotMan
Head Coach

I really don't see any other way for it NOT to be Harris. I mean, I'm being a bit myopic with it, but she's had the favorite status imo, ever since she dropped out of the pres race. If the summer proceeds down the path it's heading right now, she is absolutely the right person. Hell, if she were still in the race right now, I'd have preferred her above Biden.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Old 05-31-2020, 09:54 AM   #3373
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Sanders

I'm going to go ahead and guess that he isn't getting the nomination.

SI

Old 05-31-2020, 10:08 AM   #3374
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I really don't see any other way for it NOT to be Harris. I mean, I'm being a bit myopic with it, but she's had the favorite status imo, ever since she dropped out of the pres race. If the summer proceeds down the path it's heading right now, she is absolutely the right person. Hell, if she were still in the race right now, I'd have preferred her above Biden.

I could see Biden not wanting to nominate someone who was a prosecutor, especially with her record.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:15 AM   #3375
QuikSand
lolzcat

Is the plan to try to dribble out the clock and hold onto an apparent "lead" here?

Is the plan to actively woo and contest suburban white women in the midwest?

Is the plan to supercharge voter enthusiasm and gather greater turnout from pockets of potential voters who should be predisposed to support the D?

...the answer to these, including some mismash of all of the above, has a lot to do with who is the "best" running mate for purposes of winning.

(FWIW, I deliberately omitted the "best at governing" because I simply don't see how that translates here... competence isn't sexy, and anyone who cares enough about competence to let ti drive their vote is already fully locked in for the most viable anti-Trump candidate, I think)
Old 05-31-2020, 10:18 AM   #3376
QuikSand
lolzcat

And, by the way, we already know the playbook...

Right now the Biden running mate is "Generic Dem Woman." Tough to beat her.

Once she has a name, we will see it fire up. Oh, she one time made this decision on a thing, isn't that awful fifteen years later? Oh, she has an "associate" who said something that seems naughty out of context, for shame! Oh, she might have gone on a date before being formally betrothed, we family values types will surely reject her and vote for...checks notes...Trump. Whatever... sprinkle in liberal amounts of sexism and/or racism as need be to get the seasoning just right. The base will eat it up, count on it.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:31 AM   #3377
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
And, by the way, we already know the playbook...

Right now the Biden running mate is "Generic Dem Woman." Tough to beat her.

Once she has a name, we will see it fire up. Oh, she one time made this decision on a thing, isn't that awful fifteen years later? Oh, she has an "associate" who said something that seems naughty out of context, for shame! Oh, she might have gone on a date before being formally betrothed, we family values types will surely reject her and vote for...checks notes...Trump. Whatever... sprinkle in liberal amounts of sexism and/or racism as need be to get the seasoning just right. The base will eat it up, count on it.

+1

"As bad as Trump has been, it is equally true that at some point in the last 20 years some Democrat or someone in the media also did a bad thing. So, even though I am #NeverTrump, I am still voting for him."
Old 05-31-2020, 12:12 PM   #3378
JPhillips
General Manager

But we shouldn't overestimate how much any particular candidate might help. The VP choice doesn't make a big difference.
Old 05-31-2020, 12:32 PM   #3379
BillyMadison
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
But we shouldn't overestimate how much any particular candidate might help. The VP choice doesn't make a big difference.

That's just not true. While the VP doesn't make a huge difference within an administration, a VP does make a big difference in an election.
Old 05-31-2020, 12:41 PM   #3380
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMadison View Post
That's just not true. While the VP doesn't make a huge difference within an administration, a VP does make a big difference in an election.

You'll have to show me the evidence of that. They really have any impact in terms of their home state.

Quote:
Our conclusion: While presidential candidates typically enjoy a home-state advantage (approximately 3 points to 7 points), vice presidential candidates generally do not.

You can read a more recent interview here:

https://www.niskanencenter.org/how-m...-mates-matter/

They found little impact of direct effects, but some of indirect, for example picking someone unqualified could slightly alter people's thoughts on the Presidential candidate, but little to no effects for directly targeting groups of voters with the VP selection.

If there's data showing the opposite, I would truly like to see it.
Old 05-31-2020, 01:01 PM   #3381
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I could see Biden not wanting to nominate someone who was a prosecutor, especially with her record.

And I could see Evangelicals not wanting to nominate...well..you know how that ended.

Like Steam?

Old 05-31-2020, 01:13 PM   #3382
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
And I could see Evangelicals not wanting to nominate...well..you know how that ended.

I think they, with the rest of the right, just wanted someone who could "own" libs.
Old 05-31-2020, 01:18 PM   #3383
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

They found Clinton even more unacceptable than Trump and weren't willing to consider anyone else. The polling data from '16 is pretty clear on that being the reason for the late switch from undecided to Trump. Which is why all Biden has to do is not be absolutely horrible. He'd can be bad, bordering on terrible and that'll still be enough.
Old 05-31-2020, 01:37 PM   #3384
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
I think they, with the rest of the right, just wanted someone who could "own" libs.

So you're willing to discount the convictions of a highly 'ethically' bound voting bloc as a group that despised the 'libs' even more in order to vote someone in that they should, by all rights, have abhorred. Yet, you think that it doesn't go the other way too? I mean sure Harris has some baggage she brings, but if she brings the goods to the ticket, you don't think that the other side can't set it aside so they can 'own' the Con-Don crew?

Like Steam?

Old 05-31-2020, 02:26 PM   #3385
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I think what a lot of people are still missing is that they did abhor Trump ... and voted for him anyway. Those aren't mutually exclusive things.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 05-31-2020 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-31-2020, 02:33 PM   #3386
PilotMan
Head Coach

To me at least, that means that the opposition can find support from those who hate trump more (among independents, former trump voters and other kingmaker groups) than Biden/whomever and still find votes cast their way with minimal regard for the skeletons of their own.

Like Steam?

Old 05-31-2020, 03:13 PM   #3387
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I think what a lot of people are still missing is that they did abhor Trump ... and voted for him anyway. Those aren't mutually exclusive things.

You're right on at least some voters.

My mom is a single issue Pro-Life person that held her nose to vote for Trump but did so because he was Pro-Life and the Democrats are Pro-Choice
Old 05-31-2020, 03:28 PM   #3388
Flasch186
Coordinator

Really I think this is a softball.

Harris - Black Woman gets minority vote
Harris - Law enforcement/prosecutorial background gets middle Amer. white woman vote

Done and done and Biden runs away with it at the box although it'll tighten up according to the news.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 05-31-2020 at 03:28 PM.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:05 PM   #3389
Flasch186
Coordinator

I think that the way they're handling the Federal response to the looting and riots etc, escalation, is losing the middle white suburban women's vote in spades. The other base votes just hardened but the middle is a lost cause as of now and I'm not sure how they get it back.

The church photo op and the immediate slap down of the Arch-Dioceses of DC (a women) about it. Is devastating. The only hope is that this is so far away from Nov that people have moved on by the time they vote.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 06-01-2020 at 08:06 PM.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:55 AM   #3390
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
Really I think this is a softball.

Harris - Black Woman gets minority vote
Harris - Law enforcement/prosecutorial background gets middle Amer. white woman vote

Done and done and Biden runs away with it at the box although it'll tighten up according to the news.

Presumably they are deeply vetting Vel Demings with this same triangulation in mind, and possibly a way to avoid the higher profile issues with Harris. I have no clue what comes up in Demings's background as a police chief, but if they're content that she's at least okay there, I think she makes a stronger play, actually.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:58 AM   #3391
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
You're right on at least some voters.

My mom is a single issue Pro-Life person that held her nose to vote for Trump but did so because he was Pro-Life and the Democrats are Pro-Choice

And those voters, who definitely do exist, should just be written off as lost causes by the Dems for the next generation. Tactically, that is just ceded ground, like it or not. If you campaign so well that you dig into that cache of solid R votes, then you're well past what you need to win anyway.

It's either boost blue-leaning turnout by inspiration, persuade the persuadable likely voters to vote blue, or microtarget specific swing states...and most likely an actual combination of the above.
Old 06-02-2020, 07:24 AM   #3392
bob
College Starter

So overall, the GOP line on policy is more status quo + tax breaks. And the Dems are more progressive. Is that fair?

If so, then why don't the Dems come up with a cohesive plan showing their desired goals in terms of tax policy, health care, criminal reform, student loans / college costs, infrastructure, etc. It would make it easier for people to understand the entire scope of what they want to change and how it would impact each individual and perhaps give them the chance to sweep into office with a plan to hit the ground on day 1.
Old 06-02-2020, 07:26 AM   #3393
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
So overall, the GOP line on policy is more status quo + tax breaks. And the Dems are more progressive. Is that fair?

If so, then why don't the Dems come up with a cohesive plan showing their desired goals in terms of tax policy, health care, criminal reform, student loans / college costs, infrastructure, etc. It would make it easier for people to understand the entire scope of what they want to change and how it would impact each individual and perhaps give them the chance to sweep into office with a plan to hit the ground on day 1.

In theory they will when Joe becomes the official nominee and the official party platform gets written.
Old 06-02-2020, 07:29 AM   #3394
bob
College Starter

Quote:
In theory they will when Joe becomes the official nominee and the official party platform gets written.

I know, but those never seem to be very details (possible I'm just not seeing the detailed version). Most of the blurbs that candidates have put out just state that they will raise taxes on the rich.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:41 AM   #3395
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I know, but those never seem to be very details (possible I'm just not seeing the detailed version). Most of the blurbs that candidates have put out just state that they will raise taxes on the rich.

Plans | Elizabeth Warren

I don't want to try and speak for every candidate, but Elizabeth Warren, for instance, had a detailed plan for practically everything. I mean, they were there in black and white with bullet points and concrete action plans, not just "hey, I want to make more jobs". But it's had to convey complex plans in soundbites and it's one of the things her campaign struggled with.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 06-02-2020 at 08:42 AM.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:05 AM   #3396
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Plans | Elizabeth Warren

I don't want to try and speak for every candidate, but Elizabeth Warren, for instance, had a detailed plan for practically everything. I mean, they were there in black and white with bullet points and concrete action plans, not just "hey, I want to make more jobs". But it's had to convey complex plans in soundbites and it's one of the things her campaign struggled with.

SI

I think this is why Warren scared Republican-leaning people more than Bernie.

Bernie had the rhetoric. But Warren had the plans.
Old 06-02-2020, 11:58 AM   #3397
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Plans | Elizabeth Warren

SI

She was better than most for sure but still nothing that told me what tax rates would need to be in order to pay for all this, etc. "Make the rich pay their fair share" is a pretty open ended statement.
Old 06-02-2020, 12:07 PM   #3398
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
She was better than most for sure but still nothing that told me what tax rates would need to be in order to pay for all this, etc. "Make the rich pay their fair share" is a pretty open ended statement.

She put out her tax plan. One of the main aspects was taxing assets over $50 million. Was not popular among Dem leadership and their rich donors.
Old 06-02-2020, 12:13 PM   #3399
bob
College Starter

Fair enough - I guess I missed that.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:18 PM   #3400
thesloppy
Pro Starter

It would be nice if this all upheaval served to make justice & police reform a/the primary issue for Biden and his campaign. They're practically begging for a popular platform (or any platform), and it's personally a primary issue for me, so it would actually give me a substantive reason to get behind Biden, rather than feeling like I'm holding my nose.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 06-03-2020 at 07:19 PM.
Closed Thread