Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-12-2007, 10:25 AM   #301
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

CNN now has an article about the song, and they referenced recent popularity of the song that I had forgotten about:

"Don't Stop Believin' " has been featured in a several television and movie scenes. It crept onto an iTunes top-10 list when, during the same week, it was on Fox's "Family Guy" and in a romantic scene on MTV's "Laguna Beach."

Sports teams have adopted it, too. After the Chicago White Sox used it in 2005, Perry sang it at the parade to celebrate the team's World Series victory.

hxxp://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/06/12/tv.sopranos.thatsong.ap/index.html
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 06-12-2007 at 10:25 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 10:26 AM   #302
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Agreed. This thread is the first time I had any idea of any connection between this song and the White Sox.
Same here.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:27 AM   #303
Ksyrup

None of that matters, I guess, but it just didn't strike me as "out of the blue" as it probably would have without all of the times it's come up in the mainstream in the last couple of years. It may have been that the irony of the lyrics and the end of the show were too good to pass up.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 06-12-2007, 10:28 AM   #304
molson
General Manager

I don't think it was used as a "hip" song by any means. It had a similar feel to the use of "Jessie's Girl" during the shootout climax of Boogie Nights.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 10:39 AM   #305
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I don't think it was used as a "hip" song by any means. It had a similar feel to the use of "Jessie's Girl" during the shootout climax of Boogie Nights.

But that's precisely the point - in 1997, Jessie's Girl was totally unpopular and worked well. If Boogie Nights was a 2007 movie, using that song now, when it's been covered a couple of times, the song is more popular because of the 80s revival, etc., it wouldn't have come out of left field so well. That's my point about Don't Stop Believin' - it may have nothing to do with why it was chosen, but that song doesn't work as well, IMO, because it's no longer unpopular and ridiculed (as much). When you've been beaten to the punch by Family Guy, it loses its edge. That's all I'm saying.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 06-12-2007 at 10:39 AM.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:43 AM   #306
Ksyrup

See, this is what I'm talking about...on another board I post at, one of the guys is going to be featured on the upcoming VH1's World Series of Pop Culture. This is his exact quote:

"Using "Don't Stop Believing" in the finale = so very lame. I mean, I love that song as much as the next guy, but Sopranos must be like the 20th show to use that song in the last couple of years."
Old 06-12-2007, 10:44 AM   #307
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I just don't think I believe that's the feel they were going for. I guess we'll agree to disagree.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 10:48 AM   #308
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
But that's precisely the point - in 1997, Jessie's Girl was totally unpopular and worked well. If Boogie Nights was a 2007 movie, using that song now, when it's been covered a couple of times, the song is more popular because of the 80s revival, etc., it wouldn't have come out of left field so well. That's my point about Don't Stop Believin' - it may have nothing to do with why it was chosen, but that song doesn't work as well, IMO, because it's no longer unpopular and ridiculed (as much). When you've been beaten to the punch by Family Guy, it loses its edge. That's all I'm saying.

I'm sure that's all true, I think we're just saying that for those of us unaware of Don't Stop Believin's "revival" (as David Chase probably was), I think it had the intended effect. I'm also guessing he had that song in mind for the final scene since very early on, if not before the series even started.

Last edited by molson : 06-12-2007 at 10:49 AM.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:50 AM   #309
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Back to my major gripe about the show... I feel like they could have written this as the ending for season 4, and it would have been every bit as effective. Seasons 4-7 for me were mostly just weak or redundant. I mean, seriously... how many times did we tackle Christopher's addiction issue? I realize it really is that big a battle for many people, but christ does it make for boring TV the 5th time around. I think seasons 1-3 were fantastic, and after that the rest just isn't worth the time you have to put in.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 10:53 AM   #310
Ksyrup

Quote:
I'm sure that's all true, I think we're just saying that for those of us unaware of Don't Stop Believin's "revival" (as David Chase probably was), I think it had the intended effect. I'm also guessing he had that song in mind for the final scene since very early on, if not before the series even started.

I agree with that. Which is why I'm sure he stuck with the song even though it had gotten popular. I guess what I'm trying to say is it might have been more effective without the recent history of the song, and it seems like that did effect some viewers negatively (although I didn't watch anything other than that scene), but the song obviously had a relevance to the show for which the popularity of the song didn't matter.

On that other board, there is this post detailing the songs on the jukebox, if anyone is interested in looking for "hidden meanings:"

"
Here are the songs titles I can read (from top to bottom) on the pages of the jukebox as Tony flips through it. To my surpise, a lot of the songs are repeated throughout the jukebox, but never in the same order. So I don't think its just a simple matter of the close-ups of the jukebox being edited into the scene out of order. While songs are repeated, they page of the jukebox upon which they appear is never in the same order twice.

Page numbers were designated by me, upon best guess based upon how the scene was shot and edited. I list song titles left column first, then right column, and always top to bottom.

Page 1 - Left Hand Column
Illegible.

Page 1 - Right Hand Column
1) Somewhere In The Night;
2) My Baby Drives a Buick;
3) Those Were The Days;
4) Turn Turn Turn;
5) Only The Strong Survive;
6) Victim of Love;
7) I've Gotta Be Me;

Page 2 - Left Hand Column

All songs from Page 1 - Right Hand Column, but in reverse order.

Page 2 - Right Hand Column
1) I've Gotta Be Me
2) A Lonely Place;
3) This Magic Moment;
4) Since I Don't Have You;
5) Crystal Blue Persuasion;
6) I'm Alive;

Page 3 - Left Hand Column

Not shown onscreen.

Page 3 -Right Hand Column

1) I'll Take You (Heartache and All);
2) Somewhere In The Night (third appearance);
3) My Baby Drives a Buick (third appearance);
4) Who Will You Run To;
5) Magic Man (Live);
6) A Lonely Place (Second Appearance);
7) This Magic Moment (Second Appearance);
8) Since I Don't Have You (Second Appearance);
9) Crystal Blue Persuasion (Second Appearance);

Page 4 - Left Hand Column

Not shown onscreen.

Page 4 - Right Hand Column

1) Magic Man (Live) (Second Appearance);
2) Don't Stop Believing;
3) Anyway You Want It;
4) I'll Never Be In Love Again;
5) Rock It Billy;
6) I've Gotta Be Me (Second Appearance);
7) A Lonely Place (Second Appearance).

- - -

Obviously, a lot of the song titles clearly resonate with themes throughout the show. I'm curious as to why "My Baby Drives a Buick" was included prominently three separate times. Any remarkable appearances of a Buick in the show? Places I'm going to look for are Junior or Johnny's car in flashbacks, Livia's car (esp. when she ran over her friend); or the car used in the various countryside driving dreams when Tony was in the backseat.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:56 AM   #311
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
Back to my major gripe about the show... I feel like they could have written this as the ending for season 4, and it would have been every bit as effective. Seasons 4-7 for me were mostly just weak or redundant. I mean, seriously... how many times did we tackle Christopher's addiction issue? I realize it really is that big a battle for many people, but christ does it make for boring TV the 5th time around. I think seasons 1-3 were fantastic, and after that the rest just isn't worth the time you have to put in.

Good thing for me then that I only watched Seasons 1-3 and then the final two episodes. I lost track of the show after Season 3, when I moved out of the country, and never started watching it again until two weeks ago.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 11:02 AM   #312
Anthony
Banned

since when was "Don't Stop Believing" uncool? in NYC, it's a staple at the bars i go to.

The Macarena is uncool. Don't Stop Believing is a classic rock song. it's one of my top 50 favorite songs. i even used that song to end this video montage i made of a Halloween party i was a part of. it's a keeper.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 11:16 AM   #313
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I live in Chicago, and don't remember Don't Stop Believin' being played in reference to the Sox. But then again, I probably just wasn't paying attention.
Passacaglia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 12:15 PM   #314
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
since when was "Don't Stop Believing" uncool? in NYC, it's a staple at the bars i go to.

The Macarena is uncool. Don't Stop Believing is a classic rock song. it's one of my top 50 favorite songs. i even used that song to end this video montage i made of a Halloween party i was a part of. it's a keeper.

Lol...slight generation gap, I guess?
Old 06-12-2007, 12:19 PM   #315
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post

I've observed the love for the song at bars, but I always assumed it was an ironic enthusiasm. On the other hand, nobody would be even ironically fired up about the Macarena. So I think there's a certain kind of uncool that makes something cool again.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:24 PM   #316
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I've observed the love for the song at bars, but I always assumed it was an ironic enthusiasm. On the other hand, nobody would be even ironically fired up about the Macarena. So I think there's a certain kind of uncool that makes something cool again.

bingo
Old 06-12-2007, 12:26 PM   #317
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

There's no ambiguity at all. Tony was shot and died. As has been mentioned by several, the place was full of folks who wanted Tony dead.

I considered the 'fade to black' to be his death. My sister agreed and pointed out that:

" In one of the early episodes of the sopranos, tonys talking with bobby
about what it must feel like to die. Bobby says "at the end, you probably dont hear anything, everything just goes black"

She pointed out a few episodes back Tony remembered this conversation as he was falling asleep.

It was well setup, if you were paying attention.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 12:37 PM   #318
Anthony
Banned

i haven't seen the ending yet but got tired of skipping all the talk so i read how it ends. i agree the ending is consistent with how Chase has handled the series. set up very nicely.

however, and i've said it before, the storyteller - not the artist, mind you - has a duty to tell the story. the artist leaves room for interpretation. the storyteller gives you the beginning, middle and the end. you don't tell us about Hansel & Gretle and fade to black right when Hansel gives the witch a chicken bone. i honestly believe endings like this are cop-outs, they are the failure of the storyteller to provide a definitive closure to a story out of fears it won't hold up over time. this is a failure on Chase's part. he was not up to the task of killing off one of tv's treasured characters, so he leaves us off with a black screen. "here", he says, "you pull the trigger". again, i agree the ending was done well, but a climax is not an ending. Chase took the easy way out and leaves the rest up to the viewer, whose job isn't to finish the story. if i have to finish Chase's story for him then pay me some of his salary and i'll do it.

Last edited by Anthony : 06-12-2007 at 12:40 PM.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:43 PM   #319
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGiants View Post
There's no ambiguity at all. Tony was shot and died. As has been mentioned by several, the place was full of folks who wanted Tony dead.

I considered the 'fade to black' to be his death. My sister agreed and pointed out that:

" In one of the early episodes of the sopranos, tonys talking with bobby
about what it must feel like to die. Bobby says "at the end, you probably dont hear anything, everything just goes black"

She pointed out a few episodes back Tony remembered this conversation as he was falling asleep.

This is all asuumption. There is no way to know for sure. It was set up so that any number of things could happen on purpose.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 12:44 PM   #320
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
There's no ambiguity at all. Tony was shot and died. As has been mentioned by several, the place was full of folks who wanted Tony dead....

You might want to read this article about and interview with Chase (especially the last paragraph on page 4):

"Not from Chase, but I feel the need to debunk the e-mail that's making the rounds about all the Holsten's patrons being characters from earlier in the series. The actor playing Members Only guy had never been on the show; Tony killed at least one, if not both, of his carjackers; and there are about 17 other things wrong with this popular but incorrect theory."

The reason I'm still not buying the Tony is dead theory is that wouldn't the last thing we saw be Meadow instead of Tony? If we were watching Tony's last moments, wouldn't we see his daughter charging in? It just makes more sense from a director's perspective since that whole scene was really from Tony's view. Why then do we just he his face at the end?

The Tony is dead theory is plausible, but still inclined to believe that things are intentionally ambiguous.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:47 PM   #321
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
You might want to read this article about and interview with Chase (especially the last paragraph on page 4):

"Not from Chase, but I feel the need to debunk the e-mail that's making the rounds about all the Holsten's patrons being characters from earlier in the series. The actor playing Members Only guy had never been on the show; Tony killed at least one, if not both, of his carjackers; and there are about 17 other things wrong with this popular but incorrect theory."

The reason I'm still not buying the Tony is dead theory is that wouldn't the last thing we saw be Meadow instead of Tony? If we were watching Tony's last moments, wouldn't we see his daughter charging in? It just makes more sense from a director's perspective since that whole scene was really from Tony's view. Why then do we just he his face at the end?

The Tony is dead theory is plausible, but still inclined to believe that things are intentionally ambiguous.

We see Meadow running into the place. At the moment where she would be opening the door to come in, it switches to Tony and we hear the bell ring as if someone has opened the door, Tony looks up for half a second, then black.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:47 PM   #322
molson
General Manager

Quote:
There's no ambiguity at all. Tony was shot and died.

The more I think about it, the more obvious this seems. I don't believe that the restaraunt was "full of people" who wanted him dead. The simplest explanation is that the one guy went to bathroom so he could take out Tony at an angle where he wouldn't see him coming (and where he could do it at close enough range as to avoid hitting the family). I have heard no other explanation as to why things would cut off when they did.

I'm trying to imagine how showing the final hit (if that's what it was), would have come across on the screen. That kind of ending would have surprised me. It would have felt very non-Sopranos.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:49 PM   #323
molson
General Manager

Quote:

The show has never been from Tony’s POV in a literal sense. I think it could have just been an artistic interpretation of death.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:53 PM   #324
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
We see Meadow running into the place. At the moment where she would be opening the door to come in, it switches to Tony and we hear the bell ring as if someone has opened the door, Tony looks up for half a second, then black.

I know what we see. My point is that it would make more sense to not show Tony's face last if you really want to see the truncation as the end of his life. Things would "fade to black" only if you were looking through Tony's eyes. My argument doesn't automatically discount the Tony is dead theory - it is just a point about the direction that makes me think the theory less sound.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:54 PM   #325
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
The show has never been from Tony’s POV in a literal sense. I think it could have just been an artistic interpretation of death.

Yeah, but so much of the last scene was. And the truncated scene with a fade to black just makes more sense if we are looking through Tony's eyes. There is no reason if you are shooting third person to end so abruptly. Shooting first person, on the other hand, makes perfect sense for a cut ending.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:55 PM   #326
molson
General Manager

Quote:
I know what we see. My point is that it would make more sense to not show Tony's face last if you really want to see the truncation as the end of his life. Things would "fade to black" only if you were looking through Tony's eyes. My argument doesn't automatically discount the Tony is dead theory - it is just a point about the direction that makes me think the theory less sound.

Showing Meadow (From Tony's point of view) with the last scene would make it super-obvious what Chase was going for, and it would probably come off as a little cheesy.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:59 PM   #327
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Question, if Tony was about to be shot, assuming at close range, Meadow was running up straight at him.....wouldn't her facial expression change if presumably someone was a foot away from Tony with a gun pointed at his head most likely in her clear view?
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 01:04 PM   #328
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottimd View Post
Question, if Tony was about to be shot, assuming at close range, Meadow was running up straight at him.....wouldn't her facial expression change if presumably someone was a foot away from Tony with a gun pointed at his head most likely in her clear view?

The time between the door opening and the end of the show is less then a second. Maybe enough time for Meadow to have a reaction, but not enough for Tony to have a reaction to Meadow.

If they did a Tony POV of Meadow looking shocked, it would have felt very amateur film schoolish.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:16 PM   #329
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

We need to clear something up: what occurred at the end was not a fade to black -- there was no fading. The shot cut to black from Tony.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 01:32 PM   #330
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMyths View Post
We need to clear something up: what occurred at the end was not a fade to black -- there was no fading. The shot cut to black from Tony.

That's true. I'll stop saying "fade to black."
Old 06-12-2007, 01:47 PM   #331
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

The finale shown wasn't the complete ending that was shot apparently. The entire ending that was shot includes Meadow sitting down at the table and the Members Only jacket guy approaching the table then the cut to black. This is according to the guy who played the FBI Agent.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/06122007...iss.htm?page=2
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 01:54 PM   #332
Radii
Head Coach

I'm with JG here. There is definite ambiguity. I'm really leaning towards the more subtle explanation that the stress that every viewer had waiting for something terrible to happen is just the way life will go on for the Soprano family, however long it goes on for. We see every person as a threat, every time the door opens we assume the worst, every time someone glances over we expect the hit to be coming. We expected something terrible to happen while Meadow was trying to park her car, while she was running across the street, when the Members Only Jacket guy walks to the bathroom, and that's all there is. That *is* Tony Soprano's life, that feeling that was instilled in every viewer during the last 5 minutes is the feeling that Tony has every second of every day. We don't know when, or how it will end, but we know that it will, and that every moment Tony has is spent fearing the worst in everyone.

I'm sure all of the above has already been said by people here, but after reading reactions all over the place, that seems to be where I'm settling. And it doesn't mean that Tony didn't get killed by one of those people 5 minutes later, just that it didn't necessarily happen then, and it doesn't really matter when or how it happens.

Last edited by Radii : 06-12-2007 at 02:03 PM.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 01:55 PM   #333
Logan
Head Coach

Just another vote to say that, as HA pointed out, "Don't Stop Believin" has been a monster bar song in NY/NJ for awhile. And yes, it kicks ass.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 01:58 PM   #334
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
I'm with JG here. There is definite ambiguity. I'm really leaning towards the more subtle explanation that the stress that every viewer had waiting for something terrible to happen is just the way life will go on for the Soprano family, however long it goes on for. We see every person as a threat, every time the door opens we assume the worst, every time someone glances over we expect the hit to be coming. We expected something terrible to happen while Meadow was trying to park her car, while she was running across the street, when the Members Only Jacket guy walks to the bathroom, and that's all there is. That *is* Tony Soprano's life, that feeling that was instilled in every viewer during the last 5 minutes is the feeling that Tony has every second of every day. We don't know when, or how it will end, but we know that it will, and that moment Tony has is spent fearing the worst in everyone.

I'm sure all of the above has already been said by people here, but after reading reactions all over the place, that seems to be where I'm settling. And it doesn't mean that Tony didn't get killed by one of those people 5 minutes later, just that it didn't necessarily happen then, and it doesn't really matter when or how it happens.

This is how I see it as well.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:02 PM   #335
Radii
Head Coach

I'm kinda suprised no one has mentioned the fact that Tony, while fingering through the music selections, goes over a couple songs by Tony Bennett including “I’ve Gotta Be Me” before choosing Journey. I'm not the type that's good at pulling meaning out of small events like that, but it was something I noticed and expected to read a lot about.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 02:59 PM   #336
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosshogg23 View Post
The finale shown wasn't the complete ending that was shot apparently. The entire ending that was shot includes Meadow sitting down at the table and the Members Only jacket guy approaching the table then the cut to black. This is according to the guy who played the FBI Agent.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/06122007...iss.htm?page=2

The rest of his comments are pretty interesting -

"[Tony's daughter] Meadow got into the diner, sat down . . . The menacing 'Members Only' jacket-wearing man at the counter was a little bit more in play, and I think she's sitting there with the family kind of all together . . . and all of a sudden, the menacing man gets up, starts walking toward their booth. End of show," Servitto said.

"The scene cut as the [menacing] guy was advancing toward [Tony], as if he was about to shoot Tony. It was, I think, less ambiguous that Tony was going to get shot."
Old 06-12-2007, 03:10 PM   #337
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
it doesn't really matter when or how it happens.

Yes.

And, if Tony somehow manages to avoid a hit for the next five minutes or the next 30 years, all he really has to look forward to is that stress filled life and probably dying alone of dementia.

(All of which makes you wonder if getting killed would be the worst thing for Tony.)

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 06-12-2007 at 03:11 PM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 03:53 PM   #338
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm with JG here. There is definite ambiguity. I'm really leaning towards the more subtle explanation that the stress that every viewer had waiting for something terrible to happen is just the way life will go on for the Soprano family, however long it goes on for. We see every person as a threat, every time the door opens we assume the worst, every time someone glances over we expect the hit to be coming. We expected something terrible to happen while Meadow was trying to park her car, while she was running across the street, when the Members Only Jacket guy walks to the bathroom, and that's all there is. That *is* Tony Soprano's life, that feeling that was instilled in every viewer during the last 5 minutes is the feeling that Tony has every second of every day. We don't know when, or how it will end, but we know that it will, and that every moment Tony has is spent fearing the worst in everyone.

This is the explanation I'm settling on also. I don't think he got shot. Right then anyway.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:53 AM   #339
Ksyrup

Quote:
I'm kinda suprised no one has mentioned the fact that Tony, while fingering through the music selections, goes over a couple songs by Tony Bennett including “I’ve Gotta Be Me” before choosing Journey. I'm not the type that's good at pulling meaning out of small events like that, but it was something I noticed and expected to read a lot about.

I posted what someone recorded as the songs he flipped through up above. I didn't watch the show, so I don't know what meaning, if any, the song titles might have to the show.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 06-13-2007 at 06:54 AM.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:17 PM   #340
Bad-example
College Starter

Tim Goodman addresses the finale and makes a pretty convincing argument that the cut to black leaves Tony alive and kicking. As usual, he is worth a read: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/...entry_id=17571
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 01:26 AM   #341
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Battlestar Galactica finale..as directed by David Chase
Old 06-14-2007, 01:32 AM   #342
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Citizen Kane..as directed by David Chase

Old 06-14-2007, 01:32 AM   #343
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

The Godfather..as directed by David Chase

Old 06-14-2007, 12:22 PM   #344
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

http://www.slate.com/id/2168397/

Harry Potter as ended by David Chase...
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:32 PM   #345
Anthony
Banned

[insert any movie/show here] as directed by Chase.

we get the point now.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:47 PM   #346
JasonC23
High School Varsity

what better

(jbmagic by David Chase)
Old 06-14-2007, 01:57 PM   #347
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Being cynical...
I think Tony Died,
but it was purposely left the ambiguous so he could be resurrected if a movie is ever made.

United States Supreme Court Justice
Louis D. Brandeis
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 08:44 PM   #348
molson
General Manager

Most detailed analysis of the final 5 minutes that I've seen.

I totally missed that Tony was eating an orange earlier in the episode - that basically clinches the "Tony's whacked" theory (though I'd agree Chase didn't go all the way, in part, in the off chance that there's a movie).

http://www.bobharris.com/content/view/1406/1/
Old 06-16-2007, 09:08 PM   #349
SunDevil
College Prospect

Quote:
Most detailed analysis of the final 5 minutes that I've seen.

I totally missed that Tony was eating an orange earlier in the episode - that basically clinches the "Tony's whacked" theory (though I'd agree Chase didn't go all the way, in part, in the off chance that there's a movie).

http://www.bobharris.com/content/view/1406/1/

I find it interesting the reading into hints or things in the last scene. Whether actually true or not, it was still nonetheless entertaining.
That's a double whammy and I hate you.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 10:44 PM   #350
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Just saw it on DVR...

I thought it was a great finale episode. The ambiguity at the end was brilliant. I think he ends up getting shot. The series is told through Tony's eyes and after he's been popped, it just ends... no music, no visuals... nothing. Because he got killed in the blink of an eye, in the middle of dinner.

Though I can also see that life goes on, but Tony is always, always looking over his shoulder at every possibly threat, forever. Though the cut to black
and seconds of silent black screen indicate to me that Tony's dead.

Though definately an ending that'll be talked about for a loooong time.