Probably have similar talent compared to other teams
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 11:28 AM   #152
bob
College Starter

First 40 games.

Brady Hoke - 27-13 overall, 4-5 vs OSU/MSU/ND, 1-2 in Bowl Games

Jim Harbaugh - 28-12 overall, 1-6 vs OSU/MSU/ND, 1-2 in Bowl games

Overall Michigan has lost their last 17 away games against top 25 teams.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 11:40 AM   #153
JPhillips
General Manager

What's the problem at Michigan? Why can't he replicate his Stanford success at a school with a better football profile? Does it still have a better profile?

I don't follow Michigan, so I'm not clear as to what the problem is.
Old 09-02-2018, 11:46 AM   #154
tarcone
Coordinator

Harbaugh cannot develop a QB right now.

There are 5 better QBs in the B1G then what is at UM

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 11:49 AM   #155
Atocep
Coordinator

Saw that a Michigan WR hasn't caught a TD since semptember 12th of last year.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 12:25 PM   #156
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Harbaugh cannot develop a QB right now.
There are 5 better QBs in the B1G then what is at UM

Kinda tough to develop QBs when you don't have an OL.
Old 09-02-2018, 12:43 PM   #157
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
What's the problem at Michigan? Why can't he replicate his Stanford success at a school with a better football profile? Does it still have a better profile?

Harbaugh can't recruit offensive tackles. Their current left tackle should be a guard, and he's the best of a bad bunch.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 08:48 PM   #158
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Kinda tough to develop QBs when you don't have an OL.

True. But it seems they always have a 1 year and done guy at QB.

Old 09-02-2018, 09:23 PM   #159
Atocep
Coordinator

I refuse to believe Miami doesn't have a quarterback better than Rosier.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:48 PM   #160
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Is Harbaugh gone if he loses to Ohio State again?
Old 09-02-2018, 09:56 PM   #161
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I refuse to believe Miami doesn't have a quarterback better than Rosier.

Believe it.

The depth chart behind him has four freshmen. They aren't an untalented bunch (including Casey Weldon's son Cade, currently listed as the #2) but none are believed to be game ready right now.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:47 PM   #162
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

Well he sort of has replicated that success.
Bunch of wins and no conference championships, yet after Harbaugh, Shaw has won 3 conference Championships. And Harbaugh had a generational talent at QB.

I don't get the hype.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 11:22 PM   #163
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Well he sort of has replicated that success.
Bunch of wins and no conference championships, yet after Harbaugh, Shaw has won 3 conference Championships. And Harbaugh had a generational talent at QB.

I don't get the hype.
He took over a program that had just gone 1-11 and was the dregs of the conference and by year four had them 12-1 with their only loss coming to an Oregon team that played in the National Championship Game. He did the heavy lifting of building that program and Shaw has done a good job of maintaining it, though arguably he hasn't hit the same height Harbaugh did.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 11:10 AM   #164
Butter
Coordinator

Willie Taggart and Jim Harbaugh 4eva
Old 09-04-2018, 12:00 PM   #165
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Harbaugh can't recruit offensive tackles. Their current left tackle should be a guard, and he's the best of a bad bunch.

In the past 3 years they've recruited 7 OTs, 5 of them 4 stars. Are you saying that Harbaugh can't see during the recruiting process that these guys won't be able to handle the position? As a Maryland fan, I'd love to have that kind of talent.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 03:44 PM   #166
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

It's hard to look at the remarkable rebuild of Stanford and his early success with the 49ers and not conclude that Harbaugh is a really good coach.

That said, him implosion in SF and his inability thus far to elevate Michigan suggests that Harbaugh's rep was inflated and his tremendous staff at Stanford - David Shaw, Vic Fangio, Willie Taggart, Pep Hamilton, D.J. Durkin, Derek Mason, Brian Polian among many - deserves a lot of credit. Shaw's success in keeping Stanford a top-20 program (while keeping a lot of Harbaugh's staff) should probably be viewed as evidence that he himself was a big part of the rise of Stanford, though it should also be pointed out he hasn't had a season yet as good as Harbaugh's 2010 campaign.

I don't think Harbaugh is a bad coach by any stretch. But my previous view that he was an elite coach was probably giving him too much credit.
Old 09-04-2018, 04:12 PM   #167
tarcone
Coordinator

Assisstants can make the coach. Harbaugh has been a master at rebuilding the UM name, at least to UM fans. Now he needs to find some talent at the coach position.
Dressing like Bo Schembechler will only last so long.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:02 PM   #168
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
In the past 3 years they've recruited 7 OTs, 5 of them 4 stars. Are you saying that Harbaugh can't see during the recruiting process that these guys won't be able to handle the position? As a Maryland fan, I'd love to have that kind of talent.

This 2017 article sheds some light on the seriousness of the problems on that OL. And it dates back to a 2013 class that largely fizzled.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...ine/883811001/
Old 09-04-2018, 09:25 PM   #169
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
This 2017 article sheds some light on the seriousness of the problems on that OL. And it dates back to a 2013 class that largely fizzled.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...ine/883811001/
Yeah, but 2013 was a looong time ago in college football terms. ND lost a 2013 & a 2014 recruit that both went top 10 this past draft and had 2 OT's recruited in 2016 & one in 2017 starting Saturday night (Kraemer at Guard) and they played well enough vs a Michigan front 7 that has 2-3 studs. It definitely is weird & surprising that Harbaugh has struggled to recruit/develop OL.

Fwiw, I also think ND's front 7 & defense are better than people are giving them credit for, especially if Khalid Kareem can play at that level off the edge and complement Coney/Tillery & Hayes in creating pressure. It wasn't like Michigan looked as bad and vanilla as, say, Florida State's O did.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 11:17 PM   #170
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Yeah, but 2013 was a looong time ago in college football terms. ND lost a 2013 & a 2014 recruit that both went top 10 this past draft and had 2 OT's recruited in 2016 & one in 2017 starting Saturday night (Kraemer at Guard) and they played well enough vs a Michigan front 7 that has 2-3 studs. It definitely is weird & surprising that Harbaugh has struggled to recruit/develop OL.

Fwiw, I also think ND's front 7 & defense are better than people are giving them credit for, especially if Khalid Kareem can play at that level off the edge and complement Coney/Tillery & Hayes in creating pressure. It wasn't like Michigan looked as bad and vanilla as, say, Florida State's O did.

My thinking (as to the relevance of the article) goes kinda like this:

- Freshman OL that are truly ready to play a lot at a high level are pretty rare.

-- A decent or better OL is usually one that has relatively stability over time, where you aren't replacing them en masse.

-- the problems in 2018 follow issues year after year after year, and at no point really (starting with the great OL class collapse of 2013) have they ever been solid long enough to get some any stability. And that class was one that was supposed to kind of let them rebuild the OL.

It other words, they kinda suck now because they've sucked for quite a while. It's probably the position where that sort of thing can most take on its own ... gravitational force (if you get what I'm trying to say)
Old 09-05-2018, 04:20 PM   #171
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
He took over a program that had just gone 1-11 and was the dregs of the conference and by year four had them 12-1 with their only loss coming to an Oregon team that played in the National Championship Game. He did the heavy lifting of building that program and Shaw has done a good job of maintaining it, though arguably he hasn't hit the same height Harbaugh did.

I guess we define height differently.
3 conference championships to 0.

Quote:
My thinking (as to the relevance of the article) goes kinda like this:

- Freshman OL that are truly ready to play a lot at a high level are pretty rare.

-- A decent or better OL is usually one that has relatively stability over time, where you aren't replacing them en masse.

-- the problems in 2018 follow issues year after year after year, and at no point really (starting with the great OL class collapse of 2013) have they ever been solid long enough to get some any stability. And that class was one that was supposed to kind of let them rebuild the OL.

It other words, they kinda suck now because they've sucked for quite a while. It's probably the position where that sort of thing can most take on its own ... gravitational force (if you get what I'm trying to say)

Without question OL is the hardest potion to evaluate for college coaches and recruiting analysts alike. The ratio of boom and busts players there is exponentially greater than any other position.

Lots of reasons for that, it makes for a great discussion, but evaluating OL is way more important than their rankings.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 04:24 PM   #172
tarcone
Coordinator

Yes to evaluating. Iowa is fantastic at evaluating OLinemen and turning them into Pros. Rarely does Iowa recruit above 3* types.

UM needs an assistant that can coach up the O line. Well, no they dont, they need to keep on sucking.

Old 09-05-2018, 06:28 PM   #173
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
I guess we define height differently.
3 conference championships to 0.
If you really think any of Shaw's Pac-12 title seasons were as good as Harbaugh's 2010 season there - let alone better - then no, we won't see things the same way on this issue. Shaw has fielded some very good teams and very good seasons with Stanford, but none of them have been as good as that 2010 season IMO.
Old 09-08-2018, 07:01 PM   #174
bob
College Starter

Fucking Paul Johnson
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 07:27 PM   #175
HerRealName
College Prospect

At this point, I'm starting to wonder if Texas A&M's DB's are taught not to ever use their arms when attempting a tackle. It's just a terrible display of basic fundamentals.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 09:26 PM   #176
Thomkal
Head Coach

Coastal Carolina outscored UAB 27-0 after the half to get their first win of the season 47-24.
Old 09-08-2018, 11:00 PM   #177
MrBug708
Head Coach

USC has 5 stars all over the field and can only manage 3 points? JT Daniels might be a Matt Barkley clone right now. Clay is not the guy to lead USC forward
Old 09-09-2018, 09:48 AM   #178
tarcone
Coordinator

Looks like the B1G West comes down to the Wiscy/Iowa game in 2 weeks.
Both should be undefeated.

Looking forward to that one already.

Old 09-15-2018, 04:54 PM   #179
Atocep
Coordinator

Willie Taggert should be 1 and done at FSU.
Old 09-15-2018, 05:14 PM   #180
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Fucking Paul Johnson

And again.

What a shitshow.
Old 09-15-2018, 05:58 PM   #181
lungs
Pro Rookie

Looks like us Wisconsin fans can quiet the National Championship talk.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 06:14 PM   #182
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post

The most impressive thing for me is we hung with Wisky physically. I was not optimistic.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 06:35 PM   #183
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
The most impressive thing for me is we hung with Wisky physically. I was not optimistic.

That BYU team looked night and day different than last year’s team. Definitely much more physical. Badgers were outplayed in all facets.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:24 PM   #184
Edward64
Head Coach

Welp, Arkansas officially sucks at (1-2) ... and this was the easy part of the schedule. It's going to be a really loooong year.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 08:25 PM   #185
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post

Old 09-15-2018, 08:31 PM   #186
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Welp, Arkansas officially sucks at (1-2) ... and this was the easy part of the schedule. It's going to be a really loooong year.

That was, uh, pretty unexpected stuff today. I mean, there's mediocre or middlin', but today was a lot worse than that.

For Arky's sake, I hope the buyout on the new coach's contract is a small one cause he may not make it to the end of the season at this rate.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:42 PM   #187
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
That was, uh, pretty unexpected stuff today. I mean, there's mediocre or middlin', but today was a lot worse than that.

For Arky's sake, I hope the buyout on the new coach's contract is a small one cause he may not make it to the end of the season at this rate.

He's proven from SMU and he did inherit his talent from last years declining program so I'm willing to give him another year ... and it can't be good for players to have 3 coaches in 3 years.

For better or worse, I think stick with him unless most/all of our remaining games are blowout losses.

Much better if we stuck with Petrino. Have I said I had the most fun under the Petrino years?
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:01 PM   #188
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
He's proven from SMU and he did inherit his talent from last years declining program so I'm willing to give him another year ... and it can't be good for players to have 3 coaches in 3 years.

For better or worse, I think stick with him unless most/all of our remaining games are blowout losses.

Much better if we stuck with Petrino. Have I said I had the most fun under the Petrino years?

Trade ya Paul Johnson AND Matt Luke for him
Old 09-15-2018, 09:05 PM   #189
tarcone
Coordinator

Nice job, Wiscy. Ruined what would have been an epic match up next week. Now it is just a win on the road to the 'ship.

Old 09-15-2018, 09:15 PM   #190
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Ole Miss finally gets Bama to punt ... with 8 mins left.

I'd compare this to watching a snuff film but that probably requires a live body as the victim instead of a corpse.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:40 PM   #191
cuervo72
Head Coach

That was a really fluky play in the Purdue/Mizzou game.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:41 PM   #192
cuervo72
Head Coach

Oh, and it looks like CrescentMoonie is working for USA Today.

Winners and losers of college football's Week 3 headlined by Big Ten failures

Last edited by cuervo72 : 09-15-2018 at 09:42 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:59 PM   #193
JPhillips
General Manager

Damn this OSU/TCU game changed dramatically in four minutes.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:30 PM   #194
cuervo72
Head Coach

Akron came REAL close to effing that up.
Old 09-15-2018, 11:09 PM   #195
mckerney
Coordinator

Damn this seems like an effective play, don't see why more teams don't draw one up like this.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 02:02 AM   #196
MrBug708
Head Coach

Chip is adamant about playing his guys and that's a crap load of freshmen who weren't 5 star kids, so it's going to be a woeful year
Old 09-16-2018, 07:45 AM   #197
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Just finished watching the Huskies game. A few thoughts

Jake Browning didn't look great, made a bunch of decisions a senior QB shouldn't make. That being said the O-Line did a terrible job of picking up the blitz.

Holy crap, in my almost 10 years of watching husky football I don't recall such a physically defensive game. I felt bad for that Covey kid by the end.

We escaped Rice- Eccles with a win, and thats all that matters. A lot of top 25 teams have gone down there past few years. Time to head home and gear up for ASU.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:52 AM   #198
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Just finished watching the Huskies game. A few thoughts

Jake Browning didn't look great, made a bunch of decisions a senior QB shouldn't make. That being said the O-Line did a terrible job of picking up the blitz.

Holy crap, in my almost 10 years of watching husky football I don't recall such a physically defensive game. I felt bad for that Covey kid by the end.

We escaped Rice- Eccles with a win, and thats all that matters. A lot of top 25 teams have gone down there past few years. Time to head home and gear up for ASU.

I actually did too. I don't think I have ever seen a game where one player took so many brutal shots. And being 170 pounds soaking wet only magnified that brutality.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:59 AM   #199
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
I actually did too. I don't think I have ever seen a game where one player took so many brutal shots. And being 170 pounds soaking wet only magnified that brutality.

Bet a lot of your guys watched that game and wished they were leaving for their missions next week!
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 09:49 AM   #200
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
That was a really fluky play in the Purdue/Mizzou game.

I still don't understand the rules.. but glad it worked out for us.

Such a great defense Mizzou has, smh.

I wouldn't be surprised if Georgia puts up 60 on us next week.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 09-16-2018 at 09:49 AM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote