Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOF9, FOF8, and TCY Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-01-2023, 07:45 PM   #1
Cole
H.S. Freshman Team

FOF 9 Q & A thread

I figured it may be helpful for a thread where people can ask quick questions that may not be worthy of their own thread…

Don’t have the game yet and have a quick question?

Or have the game and not sure where to find something? Ask away!

Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 08:30 PM   #2
NawlinsFan
High School Varsity

I do - Injured reserve. Lost a DE and have to place him on IR but damn if I can figure it out.
NawlinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 08:35 PM   #3
Gallifrey
High School Varsity

If injured to the level of IR on his player card under Action: drop down menu should be the option I think.

I do not have any injured players to confirm.
Gallifrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 08:36 PM   #4
Germanicus
n00b

Q: How can I change player position? Cannot find any option for this on roster/player etc. Simmed through a season thinking perhaps it was a training camp only option, but nothing.

As the depth chart does not allow you to play players out of position, regardless of experience, of their fit this is creating some problems for me on the defensive front.
Germanicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 08:42 PM   #5
Gallifrey
High School Varsity

In the players card, drop down menu.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/b3fk1...v3hzrm39r&dl=0
Old 11-01-2023, 08:53 PM   #6
NawlinsFan
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallifrey View Post
If injured to the level of IR on his player card under Action: drop down menu should be the option I think.

I do not have any injured players to confirm.

I found it, player card, right side buried in c aouple of other data fields. Was easy to overlook.

Update - found it but even though I select to place him on IR it doesn't. Activate, deactivate work. He is out for 22 weeks so I know thats not an issue.

Last edited by NawlinsFan : 11-01-2023 at 08:58 PM.
Old 11-01-2023, 09:06 PM   #7
waitforit
n00b

How to I change the team nicknames for the default file?
waitforit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 09:23 PM   #8
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

How do I activate multiplayer leagues? Jk. Waiting for the Alright Boyz thread for FOF10 already!
Mike Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 10:07 PM   #9
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanicus View Post
Q: How can I change player position? Cannot find any option for this on roster/player etc. Simmed through a season thinking perhaps it was a training camp only option, but nothing.

As the depth chart does not allow you to play players out of position, regardless of experience, of their fit this is creating some problems for me on the defensive front.

In the player profile page you can hit the "Select an action" drop down and one of the options will be "Change player's position".
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 10:14 PM   #10
Bobble
College Prospect

I don't want to run a 3-4 defense. Do I need a new defensive coordinator?
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 12:14 AM   #11
james17
n00b

Is there any way to print out rosters like you could in previous versions?
james17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 02:17 AM   #12
beatle
H.S. Freshman Team

How do you change the team names to reflect NFL? Couldn't find that menu.
beatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 04:58 AM   #13
cupofjoe
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by NawlinsFan View Post
I found it, player card, right side buried in c aouple of other data fields. Was easy to overlook.

Update - found it but even though I select to place him on IR it doesn't. Activate, deactivate work. He is out for 22 weeks so I know thats not an issue.

It’s an acknowledged bug that will be fixed with an update…hopefully soon
cupofjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 05:48 AM   #14
jamesUMD
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
I don't want to run a 3-4 defense. Do I need a new defensive coordinator?

Yes, the defensive front is what your d coordinator runs. I did report an issue with the fronts the current coaches are running, as my Commanders in the game are running a 3-4 even though they 100% under Del Rio run a 4-3 (albeit an extremely poor 4-3).
Old 11-02-2023, 05:54 AM   #15
jamesUMD
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatle View Post
How do you change the team names to reflect NFL? Couldn't find that menu.

It has to be updated in the default data folder in both the team_info file and the default_teams folder.

Look in the FOF9 Graphics thread as NawlinsFan provided a file you can copy and paste.

I created a folder on my desktop, save a copy of all the original files unedited, and then replaced those files in game with the edited versions.
Old 11-02-2023, 06:49 AM   #16
Cole
H.S. Freshman Team

I prefer to play custom fictional leagues as opposed to the NFL ..

Am I correct in saying that if I want to create a fictional league where I have specific say over where the teams are located and what they are called, I need to completely edit all aspects of the default teams csv file for the specific league structure I want to use, then select "use default teams" when creating the league?

Because the alternative only allows me to basically pick how many teams I want in each country, then the game just creates cities and nicknames, and there's really no way to adjust the team cities/nickname after league creation?

Is all the above accurate?

I'm still a ways away from starting my 'real' league, but just wanted to be sure I had the format correct for how to go about it.
Old 11-02-2023, 07:32 AM   #17
NawlinsFan
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
I prefer to play custom fictional leagues as opposed to the NFL ..

Am I correct in saying that if I want to create a fictional league where I have specific say over where the teams are located and what they are called, I need to completely edit all aspects of the default teams csv file for the specific league structure I want to use, then select "use default teams" when creating the league?

Because the alternative only allows me to basically pick how many teams I want in each country, then the game just creates cities and nicknames, and there's really no way to adjust the team cities/nickname after league creation?

Is all the above accurate?

I'm still a ways away from starting my 'real' league, but just wanted to be sure I had the format correct for how to go about it.

I'm with you Cole and am looking at the same thing. Yes, I do believe you have to edit the csv files to align with the specifics of the league you want. So team names, colors, stadium data, etc. within the default_teams and team_info csv files. I am going to try to do one with the fantasy stuff I have and see how it goes.

Hopefully in the future Jim may come up with an easier way to do this as this can be a lot of work and trial and error.
Old 11-02-2023, 07:37 AM   #18
NawlinsFan
High School Varsity

In game I review the stadium info for the league in a 32 team NFL structure using the supplied team_info.csv and there are a number of errors with incorrect stadium types. Yet when I look into the csv file it appears, to these old eyes, to be correct. I can't track down the issue.
Old 11-02-2023, 07:48 AM   #19
Cole
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
I'm with you Cole and am looking at the same thing. Yes, I do believe you have to edit the csv files to align with the specifics of the league you want. So team names, colors, stadium data, etc. within the default_teams and team_info csv files. I am going to try to do one with the fantasy stuff I have and see how it goes.

Hopefully in the future Jim may come up with an easier way to do this as this can be a lot of work and trial and error.

Yeah it’s a shame that the game took some big steps forward in customization (different league size options, player portraits etc), but seemingly a huge step back in ease of use and customization functionality.

I consider myself fairly computer savvy, but it’s looking like it will be some arduous work to get my league up and running.

If you do get any custom CSV files set up, I’d love to see them!
Old 11-02-2023, 08:09 AM   #20
NawlinsFan
High School Varsity

Quote:
Yeah it’s a shame that the game took some big steps forward in customization (different league size options, player portraits etc), but seemingly a huge step back in ease of use and customization functionality.

I consider myself fairly computer savvy, but it’s looking like it will be some arduous work to get my league up and running.

If you do get any custom CSV files set up, I’d love to see them!

I can see Ben collecting those that the community puts together in a thread here on the site to allow everyone to access and try them.
Old 11-02-2023, 08:48 AM   #21
Cole
H.S. Freshman Team

Maybe I missed the setting … but is there a way to change the name of the league championship game from the Front Office Bowl ?
Old 11-02-2023, 09:13 AM   #22
Cole
H.S. Freshman Team

I know this isn't the place for bug reports but I just wanted to confirm I'm seeing what I'm seeing before I email Jim and ensure I haven't just messed something up on my end ...

I've done a couple 20 year sims just to see what the world looks like after a couple of decades ...these are with smaller worlds ..16 to 24 teams...

And when I look through the players in the Hall of Fame, or career earnings page ... many of them are only showing 3 or so years of actual stats.. then the rest of their years played is just zeroes across the board for everything ...

Anyone else witnessing this or just me? I'm a bit perplexed ...
Old 11-02-2023, 09:21 AM   #23
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
I can see Ben collecting those that the community puts together in a thread here on the site to allow everyone to access and try them.
this...once they get ironed out
Old 11-02-2023, 09:28 AM   #24
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Maybe I missed the setting … but is there a way to change the name of the league championship game from the Front Office Bowl ?

"league_info.csv" has the field for Championship.

I've pretty much only clicked through screens to look around so haven't actually seen it in game, but I would assume it will be there.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 09:39 AM   #25
lungs
Pro Rookie

Last edited by lungs : 11-02-2023 at 10:25 PM.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 09:42 AM   #26
Gallifrey
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
"league_info.csv" has the field for Championship.

I've pretty much only clicked through screens to look around so haven't actually seen it in game, but I would assume it will be there.

Yes it works. I have mine set to Super Bowl and it shows correctly in the game.
Old 11-02-2023, 10:10 AM   #27
Cole
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
I know this isn't the place for bug reports but I just wanted to confirm I'm seeing what I'm seeing before I email Jim and ensure I haven't just messed something up on my end ...

I've done a couple 20 year sims just to see what the world looks like after a couple of decades ...these are with smaller worlds ..16 to 24 teams...

And when I look through the players in the Hall of Fame, or career earnings page ... many of them are only showing 3 or so years of actual stats.. then the rest of their years played is just zeroes across the board for everything ...

Anyone else witnessing this or just me? I'm a bit perplexed ...

False alarm on my end, caused by lack of hard drive space ...

PSA: Make sure you've got hard drive space - Front Office Football Central

Old 11-02-2023, 12:39 PM   #28
JSap
n00b

Does the game have salary cap carryover from one year to another? It's been so long since I played it that this wasn't a rule in the NFL when I played...
JSap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 01:57 PM   #29
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

A page has been added in the documentation with more detail on customizing the files.

data_customization [Front Office Football Nine Documentation]
Old 11-02-2023, 02:14 PM   #30
wccat22fan
n00b

Position Distribution

I haven't been able to find a Position Distribution screen like FOF8 had on the roster screen that let you know how many of each position were required to be active to play a game. Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks.
wccat22fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 02:59 PM   #31
mbh12368
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by wccat22fan View Post
I haven't been able to find a Position Distribution screen like FOF8 had on the roster screen that let you know how many of each position were required to be active to play a game. Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks.

Its on the depth charts tab on the active tab. Bottom of the screen.

Last edited by mbh12368 : 11-02-2023 at 02:59 PM.
mbh12368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 02:59 PM   #32
K1ng_L1zard
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesUMD View Post
Yes, the defensive front is what your d coordinator runs. I did report an issue with the fronts the current coaches are running, as my Commanders in the game are running a 3-4 even though they 100% under Del Rio run a 4-3 (albeit an extremely poor 4-3).

Have experienced this as well switching from a 3-4 DC to a 4-3 DC and still having the defense run as a 3-4. Possible there's something I'm missing but I think the defense is just a bit buggy yet.

Other than that though I am really enjoying the new version of the game so far.
K1ng_L1zard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 03:31 PM   #33
dischokie
n00b

Has anyone figured out if there is a way to export the game data to csv? In FOF 8 you could export all of the data including the game logs to csv or html. I can't seem to find this option in this version.
dischokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 06:07 PM   #34
Mr.CheesyFondue
n00b

Has anyone been able to successfully import their FOF 8 playbooks to FOF 9?
I just got the game today and I tried using the load playbook action then navigated over to the file path for FOF 8 playbooks but nothing shows unfortunately.
Mr.CheesyFondue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 06:12 PM   #35
james17
n00b

There doesn't appear to be a way to print out rosters, game stats, etc. FOF8 used to accomplish this by way of a web browser but I'll be darned if I see a way to do this in-game. Am I missing something simple here?
james17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 08:43 PM   #36
jcard
n00b

If someone doesn’t mind answering:

In FOF8, you could see the relevant attribute values for position groups of your team’s roster in list form, but not for any other teams’ rosters. Has this changed? Thank you in advance for any feedback.
jcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 09:29 PM   #37
Germanicus
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallifrey View Post
In the players card, drop down menu.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/b3fk1...v3hzrm39r&dl=0

Dangit, how did I miss that? Much appreciated!
Germanicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 09:10 AM   #38
dave1927p
n00b

what are you all setting combine accuracy to? By default it's 100% which seems odd.
dave1927p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 09:20 AM   #39
Cole
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1927p View Post
what are you all setting combine accuracy to? By default it's 100% which seems odd.

I don't think it's necessarily a %...

From the manual ...

Quote:
Combine Accuracy. This setting determines how accurately a player's rookie Combine measurements reflect his true abilities. A value of 100 is the default accuracy. A value of 200 would mean much more revealing Combine numbers. Lower numbers would mean that Combine performances would provide less true information about the player.
Old 11-03-2023, 09:53 AM   #40
Cole
H.S. Freshman Team

The manual goes over where to put team logos and player portraits, and the naming convention ... but where do you put/how do you name a league logo file?
Old 11-03-2023, 10:15 AM   #41
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
The manual goes over where to put team logos and player portraits, and the naming convention ... but where do you put/how do you name a league logo file?

Looks like the key files are SolecismicXXX.bmp located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Front Office Football Nine\artwork
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 10:23 AM   #42
dave1927p
n00b

Quote:
I don't think it's necessarily a %...

From the manual ...

great thanks. Do we not have a view anymore showing both the overall/future overall and contract years remaining. That is how i would resign players at a glance being able to see who's contract is expiring and their skill/potential.

Even the draft summary not showing the amount of games they've played is a head scratcher. Really sad to see some changes like that. The honors addition is nice, but why remove stats when more should've been added.

Last edited by dave1927p : 11-03-2023 at 10:24 AM.
dave1927p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 11:37 AM   #43
NawlinsFan
High School Varsity

Active/Inactive display. I found that theres an issue with an injured player being displayed as inactive. Their name remains red due to the injury even if you do deactivate them. Then as you scrub your roster to ensure you have your 47 aligned the only way you can ensure they are inactive is to go to the player card and check the action drop down.

It would be nice/easier if there was a way to show they are injured as well as being inactive like a non-injured player just from the roster screen.

* Disregard. Just use thge drop down "Filter" on the roster page. For some reason I had completely disregarded it.

Last edited by NawlinsFan : 11-03-2023 at 11:47 AM.
Old 11-03-2023, 11:53 AM   #44
NawlinsFan
High School Varsity

I lost a player to a league decision for some inappropriate off field activity. He was suspended for 4 games. Just prior to the 5th game there was a notice that the league upheld his suspension and he is still uneligible to play. We were on a bye for week 6 and now going into week 7 and he is still uneligible.

Does this seem right? Anyone else run into anything similar?

*Update: The player was reinstated after a total of 7 weeks (6 games and the bye) instead of the intial 4 assigned by the league

Last edited by NawlinsFan : 11-03-2023 at 01:37 PM.
Old 11-03-2023, 11:57 AM   #45
garion333
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1ng_L1zard View Post
Have experienced this as well switching from a 3-4 DC to a 4-3 DC and still having the defense run as a 3-4. Possible there's something I'm missing but I think the defense is just a bit buggy yet.

Other than that though I am really enjoying the new version of the game so far.

Yeah, I switched from 43 to 34 and can still put Tampa in my D gameplans. In fact, the game is using 43 alignments for some reason. (I'm Buffalo.):

garion333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 11:59 AM   #46
garion333
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1927p View Post

100 is the new 50 for Combine Correlation. The range is now 0-200, rather than 0-100.
garion333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 01:35 PM   #47
NawlinsFan
High School Varsity

Ok, looking for more feedback. Anyone have a crash to desktop?

I was playing a saved file and had progressed through an additional 7 weeks. On the 8th I made the usual roster preps and proceeded to start the game running it on the fastest setting with coach calling plays. Suddenly the game simply closed out. I immediately went back in and opened the file again only to find that everything I had done from earlier had not been saved and lost when the game crashed.

I know, save often. Still curious if anyone else has experienced this.

Last edited by NawlinsFan : 11-03-2023 at 01:38 PM.
Old 11-03-2023, 02:57 PM   #48
BradS
n00b

Did we lose PBP (log) player grades? Love that in Eight.
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 04:16 PM   #49
lanruz234
Banned

Can we still watch other team games? For example, if my team isn't in the Front Office Bowl, I could watch the game in FOF 8. Looks to be gone except if I am missing the button.
lanruz234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 05:16 PM   #50
MarkRidings
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanruz234 View Post
Can we still watch other team games? For example, if my team isn't in the Front Office Bowl, I could watch the game in FOF 8. Looks to be gone except if I am missing the button.

You can go in the game book and watch the replay. If you mean with no spoilers, than no (that I know of )
MarkRidings is offline   Reply With Quote